Did Luke really force choke?

Aralt

It depends on how you look at it. It could be a sign of force choke but under more control, mostly dark side force users use force choke but due to their hatered it mostly intended to kill when used.

Another way it could be a mind trick making the guards feel like they choking but really nothing is physically wrong. Like how obi one uses it to make 2 stormtroopers look away near the tractor beam control. They thought they heard a noise but really there was no noise to begin with just a trick in their mind. It was also used in force unleash making troopers near a ledge want to jump for freedom when you use a mind trick , you can also hear them not even scream when they jump.

I also believe it was used in the novels as well to get past interesting situations.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was also used in force unleash making troopers near a ledge want to jump for freedom when you use a mind trick , you can also hear them not even scream when they jump.

I also believe it was used in the novels as well to get past interesting situations.

In KotOR 2 you could also use force persuade to, well, persuade, a group of thugs to give you all their money and then jump into the abyss on Nar Shadda.

He force choked them, his hand is clearly curved. But in his defense, they are so fat, there ws no chance of doing in lasting harm with that little amount of choking. Plus Gammoreans are so stupid that force(physical type here) is the only way to reason with them, so aside from force pushing them out of the way, a force choke was good here.

he force choked, now i dissagree with the fact the hand needs to be curved, its just a symbol for each person to open that channel to the force, different echniques are used by different force users to open that channel as it were..

Luke was indeed touching the darkside when he went to rescue Han from Jabba.

He was emotional...it was anger. He did not however kill them.

As a side note in the Thrawn series (yeah I know expanded) it states that it felt wrong at the time but he calked it up to nerves.

The overall problem, however, is that if the story were properly told he would have brought that den of villains under control and crushed their souls with imperial taxation.

Luke should have been sith. An error that George Lucas drinks heavily to forget.

Luke was indeed touching the darkside when he went to rescue Han from Jabba.

He was emotional...it was anger. He did not however kill them.

As a side note in the Thrawn series (yeah I know expanded) it states that it felt wrong at the time but he calked it up to nerves.

I disagree if anything he was the exact opposite. Look at how he acts he is calm and collected the whole time. He even tries to avoid violence with Jaba by offering a deal to him several times.

He does very clearly kill the guards.

Now remember this movie was made LONG before the Jedi code and all the light and darkside powers came about. It wasn't till AFTER this movie that the whole mythology of the jedi and the force was written.

I disagree if anything he was the exact opposite. Look at how he acts he is calm and collected the whole time. He even tries to avoid violence with Jaba by offering a deal to him several times.

He does very clearly kill the guards.

Now remember this movie was made LONG before the Jedi code and all the light and darkside powers came about. It wasn't till AFTER this movie that the whole mythology of the jedi and the force was written.

Remember too that when Luke came into his own in ROTJ...Yoda was the only Jedi from the old order left. While he would have imparted elements of the code in his training of Luke, Luke did not live within a community of Jedi like Anakin and Obi-Wan did. Luke was somewhat on his own when it comes to figuring a lot of this stuff out.

Luke used Dark Side techniques in ROTJ....he was definately tappign into the DS at the end but made the DECISION to not turn.

EP IV - Luke wears white

EpV - Luke wears grey

EP VI - Luke wears black

Anyone else see this progression. Coincidence? Maybe. Does it symbolize his inner struggle with the darkside/knowledge of the force.

Or maybe they just make him look more ****** in each movie. He did look like he was goin to choke someone out in that black robe...oh wait he did. 2 Gammorean guards.

Wow. I can't believe how this discussion has taken off.

Let's see this movie came out long before any games based off the Star Wars came out.

The Movies had Force powers where Luke could hear and later see Obi Wan after he died.

He used the Force to pull his lightsaber ot of the ice when he was hung upside down on Hoth. He used it to levivitate various objects on Dagobah and call to Leia when he was hanging off the Cloud City Station.

What he did was use the Force to move the gaurs out of his path. The force powers defined as "Force Choke" came up in the video games when there was a finite amount of combat options in the scope of the game.

Going back and limiting the force in the context of the game is like watching a Lord of the Rings and trying to define Gandelfs spells in D&D terminology.

The application of the force doesnt dictate whather the user was using the Light or Darkside of the force. In fact at one point luke turns to the darkside later in novels. With the force being a part of every living thing there are really two ways to use it. Light and Dark. It's like fuel for an engine. Light side is a cleaner burning fuel that leaves the engine in tact while Darkside produces more power in bursts but destroys the engine in the long run. Tapping the force to close a windpipe isnt evil its just adding pressure to a point on the body. It's whether or not emotion drives his "engine" of the force. If he used the choke in jabas palace it wasnt an act of emotion. No darkside to be found. However i personally dont believe it was a choke. There are certain types of chokes that can cause someone to go unconcious in seconds but that seemed like an instant KO. Which leads you to believe impact from hitting the wall. Edited by scooob

I think it's pretty clear Luke did use Force Choke--to disable, not to kill. Could he have rendered the guards unconscious in another fashion? Probably, but in its own way, this was one of the less violent methods. The thing is, most techniques within the Force are dependent upon the user's mindset as to whether they're Light or Dark. If Luke had no malice or intent to kill, even if he used Force Choke, it's not Dark Side. Remember that he eventually learned to use Force Lightning (as had Plo Koon before him) as a Light Side technique.

THIS, and I'm surprised most people don't get this.

It the technique Force Choke? Yes. Was he trying to kill anyone with it? Likely not. I could take a shock probe and use it to kill you with a sustained charge into the heart, or I could just use it for a second to incapacitate you and keep you down. Just because the technique can kill doesn't mean it can do ONLY that.

The Gammoreans could be dead, or they could have passed out. If I apply the sleeper hold on you you will be deprived of oxygen, be "choking" as it were, and eventually fall unconscious. I.e. you will go limp and fall down. That doesn't mean you're dead.