GSF strike night - mondays?

Storm-Cutter

Over on TEH and JC servers, their pilots are proposing a GSF Strike night. - Monday evenings. A chance to play only one type of ship - A STRIKE to earn some easier reputation without the complication of bombers and scouts and gunships - Also a chance to let some people try GSF for the first time without being horribly farmed from afar, or to return to GSF and get some rep and XP while the 2xp and the daily /weekly is still running - Collect the missions from ther terminal in the combat section on fleet. Imps and Pub pilots equally welcome.

Hope to see some of you there. If this gets off the ground we could make it a semi - regular thing.

I myself hope to be on at around 11 BST....

here's the link in the GSF forum:

http://http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=743136

Edited by Storm-Cutter

It's a nice idea in theory, and in FEF we usually try to only fly Strike Fighters or Scouts as much as possible anyway when we're running premades. But unfortunately I don't think anything could convince the regular "top" Imperial GSFers on our server to switch out of their beloved Gunships & Bombers. Every time you even try to talk to them about it they just accuse you of whining and QQing -- their attitude, regretfully, is simply not aligned towards any sense of Sportsmanship & Fair Play. They simply wish to Win/Crush At All Costs, By Any Means.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that, of course. But it does render essentially nil any chance of them embracing a "fun" and "fair" event like Strike Nights.

Still, kudos and karma to you, sir, for even suggesting it. It shows you're a good sport. Just sadly that puts you in a minority within Progenitor's GSF scene. :-(

It's a nice idea in theory, and in FEF we usually try to only fly Strike Fighters or Scouts as much as possible anyway when we're running premades. But unfortunately I don't think anything could convince the regular "top" Imperial GSFers on our server to switch out of their beloved Gunships & Bombers. Every time you even try to talk to them about it they just accuse you of whining and QQing -- their attitude, regretfully, is simply not aligned towards any sense of Sportsmanship & Fair Play. They simply wish to Win/Crush At All Costs, By Any Means

Won't bother replying to those insults, just gonna say see you tonight. I'll be really amazed if I see you out of your Flashfire against us.

Won't bother replying to those insults, just gonna say see you tonight. I'll be really amazed if I see you out of your Flashfire against us.

Not even half as amazed as I'd be if I saw your pals outside of a Gunship or a Bomber. Nor half as glad, because if I don't see a wall of Gunships, then I don't feel forced to bring out my Flashfire in order to counter them. ;-)

Full credit to you personally though, Firedemon, I do often see you flying Strike Fighters, and IMO you fly them very well. You're somebody who can and will mix things up, rather than simply taking whatever's the most winning thing, and you acquit yourself excellently across a range of different ship types. You're always a threat no matter what you're flying. I have a ton of respect for that. o7

Edited by Urien

Not even half as amazed as I'd be if I saw your pals outside of a Gunship or a Bomber. Nor half as glad, because if I don't see a wall of Gunships, then I don't feel forced to bring out my Flashfire in order to counter them. ;-)

Full credit to you personally though, Firedemon, I do often see you flying Strike Fighters, and IMO you fly them very well. You're somebody who can and will mix things up, rather than simply taking whatever's the most winning thing, and you acquit yourself excellently across a range of different ship types. You're always a threat no matter what you're flying. I have a ton of respect for that. o7

Thank you for that, but I fly only the Mangler and Rycer in competitive matches. And that wall of Gunships we did only once, most of the time we have 1 GS and 1 bomber, Leong flies whatever he's working to master.

Well, after 2 matches, here's how this idea is developing:

1st TDM, Lost Shipyards, Republic: 4 Gunships, 1 Bomber (later only 3 gunships, 1 bomber), Empire: 1 Gunship.

2nd TDM, Kuat Mesas, Republic: 3 Gunships, 1 Bomber (whole match, sometimes even 4 I think, but not sure), Empire: starts at 2 Gunships, 0 Bombers, ends at 3 Gunships, 1 Bomber

Really great idea, but it seems nobody knows about that :(

It would need some more promotion.

Progenitor is fortunately not full of "pro" hardcore GSF pilots, but it makes any GSF event a little more difficult to spread. I have asked in two games if someone knows about that and after no respond I gave up.

Admittedly the invite was a bit late, but that was why I tried to cross-promote it in GSF and Progenitor forums....

I was there just after 11 BST, and we lost one TDM (got a bit farmed TBH) at won 1 DOM 1000 to 995 IIRC. - However tempting it was to climb back into a mastered scout, I managed to gain some Req for my strikes and learn a few things.... So IMHO - a good job, despite some Imps who decided to go with their old favourites.:(

I hope that the word spreads around and we can have some fun next Monday. - Can anyone let me know what happened earlier in the evening?

I hope that the word spreads around and we can have some fun next Monday. - Can anyone let me know what happened earlier in the evening?

This:

Well, after 2 matches, here's how this idea is developing:

1st TDM, Lost Shipyards, Republic: 4 Gunships, 1 Bomber (later only 3 gunships, 1 bomber), Empire: 1 Gunship.

2nd TDM, Kuat Mesas, Republic: 3 Gunships, 1 Bomber (whole match, sometimes even 4 I think, but not sure), Empire: starts at 2 Gunships, 0 Bombers, ends at 3 Gunships, 1 Bomber

After that, I really didn't want to bother to even try to tell anyone to fly a strike.

If we all work at spreading the word in advance of next week, it's possible we could boost participation. FEF will certainly put together a Strike-only team for next Monday :-)

However, I think it's also perhaps fair for us to agree that if more than 1/3rd to half of the opposing teams starts taking Gunships/Bombers, then at that point Strike Night goes out the window, and the gloves are off. There's no point trying to play fair and restrained against people who don't want to play fair and restrained, and I can sympathise entirely with Firedemon's frustrations.

All that said, and Strikes or No Strikes, there were some really excellent games late last night between premade teams on either side! Tough, challenging, close games in which the upper hand seemed to constantly shift between both factions. Was fun! :-)

... perhaps rather than trying to artificially create some possibly futile balance ourselves where BioWare has failed, what we actually need to do to create "balanced" matches in a different way, is to organise not weekly "Strike Nights" but weekly "Premade Nights" where organisers on both factions form up 4, 8, or hell even 12 man teams on a certain night and attempt to get them into matches against each other. No restrictions on ship types: we all just embrace the meta, whatever it may be, and try to make equal teamwork & skill on both sides the factor that creates "balance". Thoughts?

Edited by Urien

But unfortunately I don't think anything could convince the regular "top" Imperial GSFers on our server to switch out of their beloved Gunships & Bombers. Every time you even try to talk to them about it they just accuse you of whining and QQing -- their attitude, regretfully, is simply not aligned towards any sense of Sportsmanship & Fair Play.

That is so much bull crap considering how much pubs spam bomber-balls. :rolleyes:

But unfortunately I don't think anything could convince the regular "top" Imperial GSFers on our server to switch out of their beloved Gunships & Bombers.

This was indeed uncalled for. Yes, there are matches where one side is Gunship/Bomber heavy, but it's hardly a thing of one faction (I wish I would take some screenshots to demonstrate what team compositions were we - Imperials - facing yesterday). And yes, there are veterans who fly Gunship or Bomber 95%+ of the time - but again, they can be found in both factions.

The truth is, if you want to organize something like Strike Fighter night (which I fully support) you want more veterans to attend, not less. Veterans are more likely to go for the idea and stick with it (even when losing) than newbies and random PuGs. As for the Premade night idea, I'm all up for it - it may just be more difficult to organize.

EDIT: One picture for illustration. This is what some of your Republic comrades brought to an unbalanced TDM wargame. What do you think they would do when matched against Imperials who can actually fight back?

Edited by Danylia

I guess I am one of those pals you refer to, Kessler. I fly with Firedemon a lot in the same squadron and my main ships are strike fighters in Death matches and use those always for competetive games. In domination matches (competetive) I usually end up with a bomber but that is just how it goes. I see a couple of bombers on rep side...then counter that to even the odds out. I can't see that the imp side is worse than rep side when it comes to using GS and bombers...we are basically the same. Look up facts!

I also would enjoy a concept like "SF Monday" also but it seems hard to communicate that to all pilots out there.

I think I'm one of the people on there :D

Fortunately in a Strike, though :3

That is indeed a bit ridiculous though 5+ Bombers is taking the mickey, no matter who does it. I guess I hadn't paid as much attention to what my own team is flying. In future I will, and appropriately castigate those who overdo the Cheese like that. Even though they'll probably just ignore me, like everyone does :p

Definitely wasn't an FEF premade though, we have to actually bully people into bringing Bombers or Gunships, just to have a single one of them to support the team. More than two or three together on a team, though? That's when the metagame of a match starts collapsing and implodes into a singularity of pure faceroll. Anybody who likes and wants Gudfites should want to avoid that.

Sorry you had to suffer a game like that :-(

Edited by Urien

EDIT :

I only could mke 2 games last night around 7.30 BST for 1 loss (Denon X 1000/~650) 1 win (Kuat M) 2nd game was 4 imp gunship + 2 bomber - but a win for the Republic strikes nonetheless. Yay! -Daily done & strike Req boosted so a short but fun time. Big THX to everyone who was out there. - I can't wait for next Monday and level my Imp strikes as well.

-Keep Flyin'

Edited by Storm-Cutter

EDIT :

I only could mke 2 games last night around 7.30 BST for 1 loss (Denon X 1000/~650) 1 win (Kuat M) 2nd game was 4 imp gunship + 2 bomber - but a win for the Republic strikes nonetheless. Yay! -Daily done & strike Req boosted so a short but fun time. Big THX to everyone who was out there. - I can't wait for next Monday and level my Imp strikes as well.

-Keep Flyin'

Tried it yesterday in timespan roughly between 7.00 - 9.00 CET. No chance. The very first game was closest to an actual Strike Fighter night, sadly two Republic "veterans" brought their maxed out Flashfires into the mix which sort of defeated the idea. The remaining games were typical mix of Scouts, Gunships and Bombers (on both sides I should add) with odd Strike here and there. I tried to remind people about the Strike night in Ops chat before spawn - no reply, no reaction. To sum it up, as I said earlier in this thread - it's a good idea, but difficult to realize with all the solo wannabe "aces" around.

Well it isn't mandatory, just a chance for new people to give GSF a try and be slightly more evenly matched. - I didn't even fly my mastered strikes or change to my favourite scouts when we were losing. - But I guess that some people didn't realise or didn't care. - There are plenty more mondays to go - I want to be upbeat about it - Keep spreading the word!