Character stance visual bugged on log in

Icebergy

Still happening as of 12/23.

FYI, I've been specced as Concealment the whole time; I saw a Scoundrel in another thread say it only happened as Scrapper. I did a bit of testing (Field Respec + travel from ship <-> stronghold), and here's what I've discovered:

1) Bug does not appear with no Utilities selected (regardless of spec)

2) The bug occurs when specced Concealment using Revitalizers utility

3) The bug does NOT occur for Medicine or Lethality specs using Revitalizers.

I only tested with my regular PVE utilities, so I'm not saying other Utilities may not the trigger the problem as well, but for now it looks pretty well narrowed down to Concealment + Revitalizers.

Well, I've done some more testing. It's not Revitalizers -- I was able to load while having it specced and not get the bug. It doesn't look like it's any Utility, as I was able to get the bug with no Utilities selected, although not *every* time. The only thing I haven't been able to do is get the bug with Discipline selected or with Lethality or Medicine. I don't have a low enough level character to test, but I highly suspect that characters under level 35 won't get the bug.

My current working theory is that Acid Blade (which Concealment gains at level 35) has a race condition problem that means that *most* but not *every* time that you change zones you will get the bug.

1) When committing to Concealment, you get a brief animation (drawing and holstering your weapon) similar to (but not identical to) the animation for activating your class buffs. You get no animations when committing to Lethality or Medicine.

2) The "bugged state" has you in a weapon drawn state with no weapon, looking exactly as if the game was in the process of displaying the same animation used in (1).

3) Toggling Draw/Holster Weapon (Z) once does nothing. If you were actually in the weapon drawn state, you should immediately holster your weapon. Toggling Z a second time does cause you to holster your weapon, implying that the previous toggle did correctly set your state that time. So, the bug isn't just simply starting you in the weapon drawn state, it's clear that it was in the middle of something and left off when something failed.

4) 3.0 changed Acid Blade from Active (which had an animation and a visible buff) to a Passive (with no visible buff). While I don't know how other passives are implemented, I wouldn't be surprised if the devs implemented Acid Blade as follows:

o Change duration from 6 secs to permanent

o Apply while loading into zone

o Apply once when committing to spec (wouldn't want to have to change zones to get it to start working)

If this is correct, this would explain the observed behavior.:

5) When committing to a Discipline, the instance is already loaded, so all variable should be correctly set. Thus the animation plays correctly.

6) When loading into a new instance, if the animation is played before loading, it could fail if all of the necessary variables are not set or if not all resources are available. Since the client uses two processes, and is probably multi-threaded as well, there are plenty of ways in which the animation might play correctly one time and not the other even if no changes were made to spec. As people with slower computers can attest, the game can be fully loaded and ready to go when the screen is still black, so clearly some things are running asynchronously.

So.... No one currently working at BW will comment on this bug that has been around for a few months now? Pretty sad that they hit Op/Sco so hard that it knocks us into a stance, and only by spec'in heal fixes it. I can't help recalling the days when I enjoyed playing those 2 more than any other. Now, I dread even loading it in.

So.... No one currently working at BW will comment on this bug that has been around for a few months now? Pretty sad that they hit Op/Sco so hard that it knocks us into a stance, and only by spec'in heal fixes it. I can't help recalling the days when I enjoyed playing those 2 more than any other. Now, I dread even loading it in.

Maybe read the whole thread before posting...speccing heals isn't the only solution.