Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Boo/hiss I've been downgraded

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Boo/hiss I've been downgraded

Storm-Cutter
01.07.2019 , 04:06 AM | #31
Its a symptom of short-sighted story-writing.

If you'd remained a simple smuggler captain, a Jedi knight, Sith warrior or a bounty hunter, ( &c) then menial tasks would seem more natural.
But the writers had to have bigger and badder bosses each time and went straight for the top- the commander of an empire and a 'god' itself. Then they ran out of things to defeat in the galaxy, so they got you firefighting or zapping Geonosians on Ossus.

My table-top RPG group has been running STAR WARS for about 20 years on and off. it runs to 100s of episodes. - I didn't get them to challenge the empire alone, or take on a robot that thought it was god.... so the story remains on an even keel.

Any writer should know not to write the climax in chapter 2.

But that's what happens. At BW, the devs write the story and writers do the coding.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

kodrac
01.07.2019 , 09:10 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by ForfiniteStories View Post
So we lost the Gravestone and a couple of Eternal Fleet ships parked around Odessan, and we're good for nothing just like that?
Yep. You lost your Mary Sue spaceship and your plot armor fleet.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Id find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.

DarkGruffalo
01.07.2019 , 09:36 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by ForfiniteStories View Post
So we lost the Gravestone and a couple of Eternal Fleet ships parked around Odessan, and we're good for nothing just like that?

I thought the WHOLE eternal fleet blew up, not just a few.

Qouivandes
01.07.2019 , 03:05 PM | #34
My Jedi saw the Alliance as necessary. Now that the threat has passed, he is ready to rejoin his Jedi brothers/sisters in protecting the Republic; while also holding on the to hope that the Empire would behave themselves.

My Sith saw the Alliance as a necessary means to take control from the failures that were the Republic and Empire. He is a bit put out that he lost so much so quickly, but will remain loyal to the Empire while seeking out the necessary power to regain control of the galaxy from those two failed entities.

those are the only two i have had time to get up to speed. my other toons will have various outlooks as they move forwards in their stories.
*.**.* The Cer'qeuil Legacy *.**.*
*.*.* Ebon Hawk *. *.*
. This is my referral link. We both get some goodies so feel free to click and earn

Hawkebatt
03.11.2019 , 05:03 PM | #35
Yup and now you have to shovel...

I am not a fan of the whole Kotfe/et, Iokath, Nathema chapters. From allowing Koth to claim the Gravestone, (Personally Admiral Aygo would have that ship and a full crew of hundreds) to losing the entire fleet over Nathema which I completely missed somehow. Probably didn't read the letters.

Suggesting we join the Republic or the Empire would be thought out a bit more. That we were out on the fringe of both factions would make more local concerns relevant to my faction. So I would either disband the Alliance fully or put it in a position to defend itself. Iokath would have been an easy win once the Eternal fleet was back in my control or as allies as the Gemini droids truly controlled the ships. Both factions on Iokath would have been kicked off or destroyed.

As far as joining either side if I was going to join the opposite side it would be openly and aggressively. Gnost Dural would have died by my pub toons hand. If they went to the Empire's camp they would have taken over the moment Darth Malgus showed up. Killing Malora, Malgus, and taking out Gnost Dural. My imp toons joining the republic they would have shown up at the farm and helped repel the Empire or gone to the Empire camp and killed Malora and planted bombs through the area destroying their capacity to threaten the colony. Malgus if picked up would have been killed like the traitor he is no quarter. If I switched factions it would have been on Iokath and the switch would have been fully complete by the time Ossus becomes known.

I would never have gone there alone. Maybe one ship my class ship (not some Koth POS) Packed full of supplies and my top team. Lana, Theron, T7-01, and a dozen more. Theron they would not have a problem with pub side or alliance with pub on Iokath and I doubt they would have a problem with Lana Imp side especially after an alliance with the Empire on Iokath. The rest of the alliance would be on call waiting just out of detection range. Malgus's ships would have never made it in system without being attacked by a fleet run by Admiral Aygo or by Paxton Rall if they were the Daerunn fleet trying to stop the Empire's.

Theron's actions and Nathama had a chance to destroy the Alliance as it could have split the alliance in two fighting each other causing the Eternal Fleet to leave seeing the Alliance was falling apart. This would have ended the alliance period as its member's died or left to go home back to the Republic or the Empire. In the end you would have been left with the pub companions or the Empire companions. The neutral companions would stay with you depending on how dark or light you are or go back to their own thing. Doc O would go where the funding was to invent. Sana would go where her vision lead, Aygo would go back into retirement. Hylo would rip off the all the funds the alliance had as it fell apart leaving with Gault or taking her revenge on him for stealing from her so long ago. Though at this point with only my closest friends left most likely I would retire from all the conflict or fade away into normalcy.
Emotion, yet Peace. Ignorance, yet Knowledge. Passion, yet Serenity.

Chaos, Yet Harmony. Death, yet the Force. Contemplation, yet Duty.

MikeCobalt
03.12.2019 , 02:41 AM | #36
We're joining back to whatever faction we've chosen; that's ok for most and keeping the independence of Our Alliance, that's also good. Joining Back should not have to mean as "Lackey" though. Instead of writing *Only "Go Fetch, Go Kill" missions how about adding Some decisions like "Commanders" actually do?

Examples : Attack this group then walk in or Sneak in and fight your way out? which ever is the better strategy will come out as you go (The right choice story moves on, wrong choice you repeat until getting it right).

Talk to "Whoever" to coordinate an attack OR do the attack yourself and take full credit IF that was the better choice.

Move your "Forces" to the front and let your Faction Ally back you up OR Let your Allied faction take the front line and your forces moves in behind the enemy once the battle is on
The Possibilities are as endless as the creativity potential of the writers. Commanders do make decisions, Important decisions and the great ones are there to carry them out.

Eveleria
03.12.2019 , 03:39 AM | #37
Damn they could at least give us a cantina cutscene showing our depressed and angry commanders at the bar drinking away the loss of power (let me throw a glass or two and punch a table dammit) cussing the two fighting factions. Maybe Theron and Lana trying to cheer us on or chime in on our lamenting.

I also think they had to take away some power from the player chars to make us powerful again in another way. I didn't find it that bad of a story, it was ok and served it's purpose. The upcoming struggle between imp and pub side is not that far fetched if you look at what usually happens after war and resource scarety, even more if a powerful peacekeeping third faction looses a lot of power.

What I dislike the most is that I feel like a traitor siding with one faciton, especially when the chosen faction displays their hatred and bad intentions against the other faction that I still consider somewhat part of my alliance. Everytime I help out imp side on Ossus I feel like I betray all pub npcs I gathered around me at my alliance base, at least I give them a reason to leave the alliance for good. Both factions do somewhat betray the alliance at the same time on Iokath but I had hoped for a more fine tuned process of decision making instead of a plain: take this side or that side question.

xordevoreaux
03.12.2019 , 06:17 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Eveleria View Post
Damn they could at least give us a cantina cutscene showing our depressed and angry commanders at the bar drinking away the loss of power (let me throw a glass or two and punch a table dammit) cussing the two fighting factions. Maybe Theron and Lana trying to cheer us on or chime in on our lamenting.
Ha. Good idea
Personally I go for -- for those old enough to remember -- that weekly scene in hee-haw with the two drunkards in overalls lying on either side of a sad-looking great dane singing "where oh where are you tonight, why did you leave me here all alone, I searched the world over and thought I found true love, YOU FOUND another and pbbbt you were gone!"

But with slightly different lyrics:

"Where, where, has my throne gone? Why did I lose the emperorship? I searched Zakuul over and I thought I had found it! NEW WRITERS took over and pbbbt I was gone."
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

kodrac
03.12.2019 , 07:05 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeCobalt View Post
Instead of writing *Only "Go Fetch, Go Kill" missions how about adding Some decisions like "Commanders" actually do?
It's an MMO. It's what they do.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Id find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.

Banderal
03.12.2019 , 08:43 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by xordevoreaux View Post
that weekly scene in hee-haw...
OMG, a Hee Haw reference! "Gloom, Dispair and Agony on me...oooohhhh!"

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF