Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Boo/hiss I've been downgraded

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Boo/hiss I've been downgraded

Lhancelot
01.06.2019 , 10:57 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by denavin View Post
The full quote:
That crushes me, I thought I came up with a new quote that never had been spoken before. Sigh.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSealth View Post
Or one man's lobster is another man's prawn.
Nice.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

KyaniteD
01.06.2019 , 11:22 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Atma View Post
Good riddance to all the Alliance nonsense. I just wanna be a Sith Lord again.
Indeed. My smuggler is quite happy being the captain of her privateer ship and doing the odd jobs for creds and giggles.
Darkvs.Light:
Shepard Effect ᶩ彡
Donate your referral to
Dulfy / MMO-Fashion TORCommunityMe

Damask_Rose
01.06.2019 , 12:11 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarova View Post
Everything in this post is what I think in a much more polite way than I have been saying. Even without the Gravestone & the eternal fleet the alliance should be the most powerful faction in the galaxy; we have all their former experts, masses of resources (including the whole planet of Odessen) and us at the centre. We should be known as the Odessen Alliance. Anyone in our alliance should not be still tied to their former faction or be giving side-based ultimatums (given the choices made whilst we were fighting the Valkorians) - they made their choice and should be loyal to the alliance (which didn't happen in 5.10). We should, now the emperor and his crappy family are dead (or subdued & recruited) be the most powerful person/group in the galaxy with the Republic and Empire begging us for help. We should be able to choose which side to help in openly (not covertly) whilst maintaining our alliance. Even the resurrected former betrayer is no match for or equal to us. It's just rubbish. And I still play it because its "Star Wars"! They know my weakness
This is what I think too. The strength of the Alliance was not just the Gravestone and Eternal Fleet. They made a huge point about numerous forces joining us from across the galaxy, which, you know, would deplete the already greatly reduced militaries of the Empire and Republic. They also made a huge point about how crushed the Empire and Republic were and how they didn't have the resources to rebuild. So now we are too weak to stand on our own even though we have substantial mililtaries, good resources and plenty of force users? As you said, rubbish!

The faults with FE/ET painted the story into a tight corner, but Bioware created this mess without a plan to get out of it. Doing their best to fix a mess they created doesn't magically turn this into a good or satisfying story. But, as I said with FE/ET mediocre story is better than no story.

AureliaSulis
01.06.2019 , 02:21 PM | #24
Quote:
Everything in this post is what I think in a much more polite way than I have been saying. Even without the Gravestone & the eternal fleet the alliance should be the most powerful faction in the galaxy; we have all their former experts, masses of resources (including the whole planet of Odessen) and us at the centre. We should be known as the Odessen Alliance. Anyone in our alliance should not be still tied to their former faction or be giving side-based ultimatums (given the choices made whilst we were fighting the Valkorians) - they made their choice and should be loyal to the alliance (which didn't happen in 5.10). We should, now the emperor and his crappy family are dead (or subdued & recruited) be the most powerful person/group in the galaxy with the Republic and Empire begging us for help. We should be able to choose which side to help in openly (not covertly) whilst maintaining our alliance. Even the resurrected former betrayer is no match for or equal to us. It's just rubbish. And I still play it because its "Star Wars"! They know my weakness.
Yup - it's also why I've made the conscious decision to not activate 5.10 on any of my characters. All my characters are either mid-Alliance content or haven't reached it yet. When they reach it they will all proudly wear the Alliance Commander title which Sul my Warrior won for her family. They will only progress to the new content when the Alliance regains its proper place in the galaxy. If it never happens, then my subscription ends. Just like that. In the meantime I have alts to create and take through to Odessen.
Eric Arthur Blair was prescient.

Kataret
01.06.2019 , 10:28 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
This is what I think too. The strength of the Alliance was not just the Gravestone and Eternal Fleet. They made a huge point about numerous forces joining us from across the galaxy, which, you know, would deplete the already greatly reduced militaries of the Empire and Republic. They also made a huge point about how crushed the Empire and Republic were and how they didn't have the resources to rebuild. So now we are too weak to stand on our own even though we have substantial mililtaries, good resources and plenty of force users? As you said, rubbish!
While I am an Alliance fan and I do agree with many of your points, you are overlooking quite a bit. Remember, all the Republic and Imperial defectors joined you because they wanted to liberate their homes. They wanted to liberate the Republic and Empire. The Republic and Empire have been liberated. And now they want to go home, reunite with friends, hug their families, etc.

So if you're confused as to why the Alliance loses so much manpower, that's why. It's members are going home. Of course, not everyone feels this way. There are still those now view the Alliance Commander as the best leader for the galaxy, given that the Commander did what the Republic and Empire couldn't do; the Commander toppled Zakuul. That's inspired some people to stay on Odessen and continue to support the Alliance Commander's actions. But again, that's only a small percentage of the original Alliance army that battled Zakuul.

The Alliance is still strong. Likely strong enough to single-handedly tip the balance in either the Empire or Republic's favor. But like you said: The Alliance has resources. Which makes it a prime target for resource-craving Empire and Republic. Simply put, without the backing of one of the big factions, Alliance space would be invaded by both the Empire and Republic, who are desperate for those resources.

juliushorst
01.06.2019 , 10:56 PM | #26
We had nothing (Lana, Theron, some basic base on Odessen and the Gravestone that barely wroked) and went against the biggest power in the galaxy.
Now we have a big base, resources from Iokath, possibly some resources from Nathema, best minds in the galaxy - and we can't just ignore two drained factions jumping at each other's throats to resume a stalemate war...
All grind and no joy makes Jack a dull boy.
Click here. I get this, you get this

Lunafox
01.06.2019 , 11:07 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Master_Morak View Post
No - it's an idiotic storyline. The decision to go back to rep vs. Imp and downgrading the alliance is one of the worst story decisions ever.
It is yeah, when you get down to it. We did nothing to deserve being downgraded, like the OP said we beat everyone, so now that we lost a couple of ships, we're scraps that have to choose a side. It's a bit depressing.

I think as the alliance we should've picked who we're taking over first.
💥The galaxy is ours to grasp. Let us reach!💥

Lunafox's Stories🌙🦊Lunafox's Decorating
Koona t'chuta, Solo?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
omg Darth Lunafox in the house

Setokai
01.07.2019 , 01:03 AM | #28
I look at this way, given the colony was out of communication with the rest of the galaxy, it's not surprising the guy hasn't heard of us
http://www.swtor.com/r/xlcFwx
free stuff for a new or preferred status player
HK-55: Commentary: I am programmed for self-restraint. Usually.

IoNonSoEVero
01.07.2019 , 01:12 AM | #29
What's silly is that even when the Alliance had all the resources, the narrative was that we still needed to ally with a faction. When Iokath happened, the Alliance had the Eternal Fleet, the Gravestone, the droid factories, and most of the Knights of Zakuul, and if you had let SCORPIO live you might have had her cooperation on Iokath too. The planets that had been harmed by Zakuul were coming to the Alliance with hands out for help. With all of that, logically, the Alliance should have been able to blow both the Republic and Imperial forces on Iokath to smithereens, or force them to back off.

The Alliance was able to beat Zakuul to start with without a lot of manpower or ships to start with.

Having to be demoted to being a faction lackey is disheartening after all that. It's been brought up before that the Alliance supposedly still holds Iokath, and isn't there enough tech there to cause some damage and protect Odessen?

OldVengeance
01.07.2019 , 01:37 AM | #30
Arcann and Thexan conducted a series of surprise attacks and then disappeared before the Republic or Empire could retaliate. Zakuul didn't conquer the galaxy until they used the full might of the Eternal Fleet.

The Alliance doesn't have the Eternal Fleet so they can't enforce their will like Zakuul once did, anymore. The Alliance never had enough forces to outnumber either the Empire or Republic. They only gained the strength they did by recruiting people who who chose to leave the Republic and Empire and those people were always the minority, in both factions.

After the Eternal Fleet was lost, the Alliance could no longer maintain peace. And since their original reason for joining the Alliance was achieved, and their current objective is to make sure their old homes survive the coming conflict, many returned to the Republic and Empire.