Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Boo/hiss I've been downgraded

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Boo/hiss I've been downgraded

McBaal's Avatar


McBaal
01.05.2019 , 05:01 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ForfiniteStories View Post
So we lost the Gravestone and a couple of Eternal Fleet ships parked around Odessan, and we're good for nothing just like that? That the Empire and the Republic, despite losing a lot of assets such as manpower and resources--both of which are now ours or dead--and starving for either, are now stronger than us? The frack?
Could be worse. They could be complaining about others complaining.
As far as i understood the cinematics and ingame mails post Nathema, the Alliance lost everything related to the eternal throne: The Gravestone, the entire eternal fleet, the control of the droid army and it's fabrics as well as the throne itself. The Alliance's entire remaining forces are made of what it had post KOTFE, meaning a bunch of imperial and republic cruisers and frigates minus the Gravestone. The ground forces are few and mostly stationed on Iokath to keep a grasp on it's technology and ressources, but not enough to stand against the republican / imperial forces on Iokath on it's own.
And since Zakuul declared it'S independence, all the Alliance controls right now is Odessen and the fleet tower on Iokath. During the state of the galaxy report, Lana mentioned that the sole reason why the Alliance is still considered relevant is because of the individual quality of it's members. the commander recruited many of the best and brightest of the galaxy during the war against Zakuul and most of them remain with the Alliance. Thx to the spoils of war and Dr. Oggurob the Alliance has the technological advantage too. So, right now, an attack on the Alliance would be costly, even without the Gravestone fighting off the enemy fleet. And since neather the Republic nor the Empire has ever shown any interest in wild space, an attack on Odessen isn't just worth the risk since it would leave the attacker vulnerable.

As of now, the Alliance is an auxillary force and outpost of the Empire / Republic inside wild space. Personaly i hope we will return for a short mission to post war Zakuul during 6.X (including a daily area, the level already exist, so come on Bioware, do it). Maybe to negotiate some wild space treaty to power up the Alliance again. But i doubt it. I don't want to be Acina's / the Republic's b**** again. Some imperial trooper fanboying when he is rescued by the commander an Anri wasn't enough after all we did for the galaxy. I want power! Unlimited power!!!!!

Atma's Avatar


Atma
01.05.2019 , 05:10 PM | #12
Good riddance to all the Alliance nonsense. I just wanna be a Sith Lord again.

McBaal's Avatar


McBaal
01.05.2019 , 05:16 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Atma View Post
Good riddance to all the Alliance nonsense. I just wanna be a Sith Lord again.
Not going to happen, or will the agent / bounty hunter become a Sith lord too? You are the commander and eather allied with the empire or the republic. No dev ressources / money left for class specific content. Instead we might get a new arena map...horray

annabethchase's Avatar


annabethchase
01.05.2019 , 07:44 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by McBaal View Post
As far as i understood the cinematics and ingame mails post Nathema, the Alliance lost everything related to the eternal throne: The Gravestone, the entire eternal fleet, the control of the droid army and it's fabrics as well as the throne itself. The Alliance's entire remaining forces are made of what it had post KOTFE, meaning a bunch of imperial and republic cruisers and frigates minus the Gravestone. The ground forces are few and mostly stationed on Iokath to keep a grasp on it's technology and ressources, but not enough to stand against the republican / imperial forces on Iokath on it's own.
And since Zakuul declared it'S independence, all the Alliance controls right now is Odessen and the fleet tower on Iokath. During the state of the galaxy report, Lana mentioned that the sole reason why the Alliance is still considered relevant is because of the individual quality of it's members. the commander recruited many of the best and brightest of the galaxy during the war against Zakuul and most of them remain with the Alliance. Thx to the spoils of war and Dr. Oggurob the Alliance has the technological advantage too. So, right now, an attack on the Alliance would be costly, even without the Gravestone fighting off the enemy fleet. And since neather the Republic nor the Empire has ever shown any interest in wild space, an attack on Odessen isn't just worth the risk since it would leave the attacker vulnerable.

As of now, the Alliance is an auxillary force and outpost of the Empire / Republic inside wild space. Personaly i hope we will return for a short mission to post war Zakuul during 6.X (including a daily area, the level already exist, so come on Bioware, do it). Maybe to negotiate some wild space treaty to power up the Alliance again. But i doubt it. I don't want to be Acina's / the Republic's b**** again. Some imperial trooper fanboying when he is rescued by the commander an Anri wasn't enough after all we did for the galaxy. I want power! Unlimited power!!!!!
Yes, this is how I understand the state of things. Plus, we never exactly had the love of the citizens. The Zakuul citizens were basically the capital citizens from the Hunger Games world. Completely spoiled and pampered and incapable of adapting to a world without such priveledge. So without all of the resources, money or citizens, what exactly would we have?
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

Severith's Avatar


Severith
01.06.2019 , 02:50 AM | #15
One thing that actually made me cringe was how much npcs loved to fawn over you after the starter planet.

"Wow, you're so amazing, blah blah blah, so powerful, blah blah blah."

The solo aspects of the game got easier and easier, and combined with the constant positive reinforcement of the npcs created a situation where people thought they were good at the game. That's fine, but when they stepped into a group situation, reality slapped them down pretty hard.

If I were a game designer, I'd make the solo play a tutorial for harder content, but SWTOR does exactly the opposite, the only thing it teaches new players is that they don't need to learn anything at all. It primes them for some negative experiences when they finally decide to try get their feet wet with group content.

I'm glad our characters are getting taken down a peg or two. Story wise it opens up a lot more options, and gameplay wise it puts us in a better place, mentally, to enjoy the game without looking down on it.

Master_Morak's Avatar


Master_Morak
01.06.2019 , 03:02 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TalleraLane View Post
Some really will just complain about anything and everything won't they. How very sad.
No - it's an idiotic storyline. The decision to go back to rep vs. Imp and downgrating the alliance is one of the worst story decisions ever.
Möge die Macht mit Euch sein

McBaal's Avatar


McBaal
01.06.2019 , 03:53 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Master_Morak View Post
No - it's an idiotic storyline. The decision to go back to rep vs. Imp and downgrating the alliance is one of the worst story decisions ever.
No, i don't think so. 3 things are true imo:

1) Empire vs Republic / Sith vs Jedi is the core of Star Wars
2) We didn't have that content since the class stories
3) Many people wanted to return to Empire vs Republic

While one enemy for both makes sense from a dev perspective (one story fits both sides, meaning the dev of the content is cheaper) it starts to hollow out the Star Wars setting itself.
Also, the ending of KOTET left the writers cornered. Without turning the game into a Total War: Star Wars strategy game there was nowhere no go except downward. We had a fleet, we had an army, why the hell are we still scavenging energy cores or dealing with trash mobs? It made no sense after KOTET, while it did made sense to go on missions when we were building up the Alliance. Therefore the Alliance had to be downgraded (i did find it's execution a littlebit cheap though, the droid fleet becoming sentient again and deciding to go rampage, forcing the Alliance to blow them up would have been more fitting and had allowed a return of Scorpio in case she wasn't destroyed)
Now the devs are torn apart again between players who want to get ridd of the Alliance once and for all, returning their characters to thrall status and those who enjoy the Alliance and having power, who don't want to be pushed around again by some Sith leftovers or spineless republic noobs who let us take the heavy lifting of saving the galaxy and then take all the perks. Personally i belong to the second faction, i don't want to be a servant again.

The devs acknowledged the problem they face from a story perspective, and from what i have seen, their solution is a compromise noone will be happy, but most be able to live with.

1) We remain the commander of the Alliance
2) The Alliance stays in wild space
3) To keep the Alliance out of the fighting as much as possible we are taking care of our allies tasks personally

We will still have mission briefings and cinematics on Odessen when an arc starts / ends. But that's about it as far as Alliance content goes. I may be wrong, but that's what i got from the devs talk and 5.10

yakatus's Avatar


yakatus
01.06.2019 , 05:18 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TalleraLane View Post
Some really will just complain about anything and everything won't they. How very sad.
What an idiotic comment lol, and such lack of humor ... Are you one of those BW underpaid interns working on this game ? get a brain

sauceemynx's Avatar


sauceemynx
01.06.2019 , 06:20 AM | #19
We have a joke in our house: whenever one of our Sith or Jedi are doing a menial task, we ask in a disgruntled voice, "Would Marr or Satele be doing this?" But, you know, someone has to be the philosopher, and someone else has to be the one with their hands in the dirt (sometimes literally).

Sarova's Avatar


Sarova
01.06.2019 , 07:32 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ForfiniteStories View Post
My favorite part was when Lana said the Eternal Alliance wasn't strong enough to combat both the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire if any hostilities broke out, and that we need to choose sides. Sorry, but what were Arcann and his brother doing in this trailer then?

So we lost the Gravestone and a couple of Eternal Fleet ships parked around Odessan, and we're good for nothing just like that? That the Empire and the Republic, despite losing a lot of assets such as manpower and resources--both of which are now ours or dead--and starving for either, are now stronger than us? The frack?



Could be worse. They could be complaining about others complaining.
Everything in this post is what I think in a much more polite way than I have been saying. Even without the Gravestone & the eternal fleet the alliance should be the most powerful faction in the galaxy; we have all their former experts, masses of resources (including the whole planet of Odessen) and us at the centre. We should be known as the Odessen Alliance. Anyone in our alliance should not be still tied to their former faction or be giving side-based ultimatums (given the choices made whilst we were fighting the Valkorians) - they made their choice and should be loyal to the alliance (which didn't happen in 5.10). We should, now the emperor and his crappy family are dead (or subdued & recruited) be the most powerful person/group in the galaxy with the Republic and Empire begging us for help. We should be able to choose which side to help in openly (not covertly) whilst maintaining our alliance. Even the resurrected former betrayer is no match for or equal to us. It's just rubbish. And I still play it because its "Star Wars"! They know my weakness
Fix Vector's Eyes || Quinn Treats™
Allow us to Buy Multiples of the same Stronghold
My Rishi
Magical Clicky Link