Boo/hiss I've been downgraded

xordevoreaux

Me: Hi There! I'm the Alliance Commander. I defeated Arcann, his sister, his dad, what was left of a psychopathic droid on Iokath....I have saved the galaxy!

Some random gardener on Ossus: Um, yeah. Can you watch this droid for me and make sure nothing happens to it? I'm heading out. Appreciate it.

Edited by xordevoreaux

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me: Hi There! I'm the Alliance Commander. I defeated Arcann, his sister, his dad, what was left of a psychopathic droid on Iokath....I have saved the galaxy!

Some random gardener on Ossus: Um, yeah. Can you watch this droid for me and make sure nothing happens to it? I'm heading out. Appreciate it.

One man's king is another man's pawn!

My favorite part was when Lana said the Eternal Alliance wasn't strong enough to combat both the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire if any hostilities broke out, and that we need to choose sides. Sorry, but what were Arcann and his brother doing in

then?

So we lost the Gravestone and a couple of Eternal Fleet ships parked around Odessan, and we're good for nothing just like that? That the Empire and the Republic, despite losing a lot of assets such as manpower and resources--both of which are now ours or dead--and starving for either, are now stronger than us? The frack?

Some really will just complain about anything and everything won't they. How very sad.

Could be worse. They could be complaining about others complaining.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

To be fair, it's depressingly common. Even in vanilla, after the class stories, you're still treated as a minion. The SI at least gets some chances to pretend that he's equal to Marr, or doesn't have to do what he says, but he still goes out and follows orders anyway. It's just framed slightly differently. And I think people would have been more okay with Ossus if it had been framed differently, but this downgrading is typical of BW.

Truthfully gamers in general don't know what they want, it reminds me of DA and people was so fast to claim DA:I was better than DA:years down the line and now that's not the case, people validate that even though DA:2 wasn't a masterpiece at least it had substance in the story and the traditional RPG elements when it comes to levelling up.

The fans wanted a MMO open world experience when they got it they felt it was bare and lacklustre.

It's happened with this game over the years they complain about things that was the mechanics of it only for it to be removed and a few are left squandering about such errors. Because gamers nowadays sort of turn the cheek to the stupidity involved.

Edited by DarthSealth

So we lost the Gravestone and a couple of Eternal Fleet ships parked around Odessan, and we're good for nothing just like that? That the Empire and the Republic, despite losing a lot of assets such as manpower and resources--both of which are now ours or dead--and starving for either, are now stronger than us? The frack?

As far as i understood the cinematics and ingame mails post Nathema, the Alliance lost everything related to the eternal throne: The Gravestone, the entire eternal fleet, the control of the droid army and it's fabrics as well as the throne itself. The Alliance's entire remaining forces are made of what it had post KOTFE, meaning a bunch of imperial and republic cruisers and frigates minus the Gravestone. The ground forces are few and mostly stationed on Iokath to keep a grasp on it's technology and ressources, but not enough to stand against the republican / imperial forces on Iokath on it's own.

And since Zakuul declared it'S independence, all the Alliance controls right now is Odessen and the fleet tower on Iokath. During the state of the galaxy report, Lana mentioned that the sole reason why the Alliance is still considered relevant is because of the individual quality of it's members. the commander recruited many of the best and brightest of the galaxy during the war against Zakuul and most of them remain with the Alliance. Thx to the spoils of war and Dr. Oggurob the Alliance has the technological advantage too. So, right now, an attack on the Alliance would be costly, even without the Gravestone fighting off the enemy fleet. And since neather the Republic nor the Empire has ever shown any interest in wild space, an attack on Odessen isn't just worth the risk since it would leave the attacker vulnerable.

As of now, the Alliance is an auxillary force and outpost of the Empire / Republic inside wild space. Personaly i hope we will return for a short mission to post war Zakuul during 6.X (including a daily area, the level already exist, so come on Bioware, do it). Maybe to negotiate some wild space treaty to power up the Alliance again. But i doubt it. I don't want to be Acina's / the Republic's b**** again. Some imperial trooper fanboying when he is rescued by the commander an Anri wasn't enough after all we did for the galaxy. I want power! Unlimited power!!!!! :hope_02:

Edited by McBaal

Good riddance to all the Alliance nonsense. I just wanna be a Sith Lord again.

Not going to happen, or will the agent / bounty hunter become a Sith lord too? You are the commander and eather allied with the empire or the republic. No dev ressources / money left for class specific content. Instead we might get a new arena map...horray :rolleyes:

As far as i understood the cinematics and ingame mails post Nathema, the Alliance lost everything related to the eternal throne: The Gravestone, the entire eternal fleet, the control of the droid army and it's fabrics as well as the throne itself. The Alliance's entire remaining forces are made of what it had post KOTFE, meaning a bunch of imperial and republic cruisers and frigates minus the Gravestone. The ground forces are few and mostly stationed on Iokath to keep a grasp on it's technology and ressources, but not enough to stand against the republican / imperial forces on Iokath on it's own.

And since Zakuul declared it'S independence, all the Alliance controls right now is Odessen and the fleet tower on Iokath. During the state of the galaxy report, Lana mentioned that the sole reason why the Alliance is still considered relevant is because of the individual quality of it's members. the commander recruited many of the best and brightest of the galaxy during the war against Zakuul and most of them remain with the Alliance. Thx to the spoils of war and Dr. Oggurob the Alliance has the technological advantage too. So, right now, an attack on the Alliance would be costly, even without the Gravestone fighting off the enemy fleet. And since neather the Republic nor the Empire has ever shown any interest in wild space, an attack on Odessen isn't just worth the risk since it would leave the attacker vulnerable.

As of now, the Alliance is an auxillary force and outpost of the Empire / Republic inside wild space. Personaly i hope we will return for a short mission to post war Zakuul during 6.X (including a daily area, the level already exist, so come on Bioware, do it). Maybe to negotiate some wild space treaty to power up the Alliance again. But i doubt it. I don't want to be Acina's / the Republic's b**** again. Some imperial trooper fanboying when he is rescued by the commander an Anri wasn't enough after all we did for the galaxy. I want power! Unlimited power!!!!! :hope_02:

Yes, this is how I understand the state of things. Plus, we never exactly had the love of the citizens. The Zakuul citizens were basically the capital citizens from the Hunger Games world. Completely spoiled and pampered and incapable of adapting to a world without such priveledge. So without all of the resources, money or citizens, what exactly would we have?

One thing that actually made me cringe was how much npcs loved to fawn over you after the starter planet.

"Wow, you're so amazing, blah blah blah, so powerful, blah blah blah."

The solo aspects of the game got easier and easier, and combined with the constant positive reinforcement of the npcs created a situation where people thought they were good at the game. That's fine, but when they stepped into a group situation, reality slapped them down pretty hard.

If I were a game designer, I'd make the solo play a tutorial for harder content, but SWTOR does exactly the opposite, the only thing it teaches new players is that they don't need to learn anything at all. It primes them for some negative experiences when they finally decide to try get their feet wet with group content.

I'm glad our characters are getting taken down a peg or two. Story wise it opens up a lot more options, and gameplay wise it puts us in a better place, mentally, to enjoy the game without looking down on it.

No - it's an idiotic storyline. The decision to go back to rep vs. Imp and downgrating the alliance is one of the worst story decisions ever.

No, i don't think so. 3 things are true imo:

1) Empire vs Republic / Sith vs Jedi is the core of Star Wars

2) We didn't have that content since the class stories

3) Many people wanted to return to Empire vs Republic

While one enemy for both makes sense from a dev perspective (one story fits both sides, meaning the dev of the content is cheaper) it starts to hollow out the Star Wars setting itself.

Also, the ending of KOTET left the writers cornered. Without turning the game into a Total War: Star Wars strategy game there was nowhere no go except downward. We had a fleet, we had an army, why the hell are we still scavenging energy cores or dealing with trash mobs? It made no sense after KOTET, while it did made sense to go on missions when we were building up the Alliance. Therefore the Alliance had to be downgraded (i did find it's execution a littlebit cheap though, the droid fleet becoming sentient again and deciding to go rampage, forcing the Alliance to blow them up would have been more fitting and had allowed a return of Scorpio in case she wasn't destroyed)

Now the devs are torn apart again between players who want to get ridd of the Alliance once and for all, returning their characters to thrall status and those who enjoy the Alliance and having power, who don't want to be pushed around again by some Sith leftovers or spineless republic noobs who let us take the heavy lifting of saving the galaxy and then take all the perks. Personally i belong to the second faction, i don't want to be a servant again.

The devs acknowledged the problem they face from a story perspective, and from what i have seen, their solution is a compromise noone will be happy, but most be able to live with.

1) We remain the commander of the Alliance

2) The Alliance stays in wild space

3) To keep the Alliance out of the fighting as much as possible we are taking care of our allies tasks personally

We will still have mission briefings and cinematics on Odessen when an arc starts / ends. But that's about it as far as Alliance content goes. I may be wrong, but that's what i got from the devs talk and 5.10

Some really will just complain about anything and everything won't they. How very sad.

What an idiotic comment lol, and such lack of humor ... Are you one of those BW underpaid interns working on this game ? get a brain

We have a joke in our house: whenever one of our Sith or Jedi are doing a menial task, we ask in a disgruntled voice, "Would Marr or Satele be doing this?" But, you know, someone has to be the philosopher, and someone else has to be the one with their hands in the dirt (sometimes literally). :D;)

My favorite part was when Lana said the Eternal Alliance wasn't strong enough to combat both the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire if any hostilities broke out, and that we need to choose sides. Sorry, but what were Arcann and his brother doing in
then?

Everything in this post is what I think in a much more polite way than I have been saying. Even without the Gravestone & the eternal fleet the alliance should be the most powerful faction in the galaxy; we have all their former experts, masses of resources (including the whole planet of Odessen) and us at the centre. We should be known as the Odessen Alliance. Anyone in our alliance should not be still tied to their former faction or be giving side-based ultimatums (given the choices made whilst we were fighting the Valkorians) - they made their choice and should be loyal to the alliance (which didn't happen in 5.10). We should, now the emperor and his crappy family are dead (or subdued & recruited) be the most powerful person/group in the galaxy with the Republic and Empire begging us for help. We should be able to choose which side to help in openly (not covertly) whilst maintaining our alliance. Even the resurrected former betrayer is no match for or equal to us. It's just rubbish. And I still play it because its "Star Wars"! They know my weakness :D

Everything in this post is what I think in a much more polite way than I have been saying. Even without the Gravestone & the eternal fleet the alliance should be the most powerful faction in the galaxy; we have all their former experts, masses of resources (including the whole planet of Odessen) and us at the centre. We should be known as the Odessen Alliance. Anyone in our alliance should not be still tied to their former faction or be giving side-based ultimatums (given the choices made whilst we were fighting the Valkorians) - they made their choice and should be loyal to the alliance (which didn't happen in 5.10). We should, now the emperor and his crappy family are dead (or subdued & recruited) be the most powerful person/group in the galaxy with the Republic and Empire begging us for help. We should be able to choose which side to help in openly (not covertly) whilst maintaining our alliance. Even the resurrected former betrayer is no match for or equal to us. It's just rubbish. And I still play it because its "Star Wars"! They know my weakness :D

This is what I think too. The strength of the Alliance was not just the Gravestone and Eternal Fleet. They made a huge point about numerous forces joining us from across the galaxy, which, you know, would deplete the already greatly reduced militaries of the Empire and Republic. They also made a huge point about how crushed the Empire and Republic were and how they didn't have the resources to rebuild. So now we are too weak to stand on our own even though we have substantial mililtaries, good resources and plenty of force users? As you said, rubbish!

The faults with FE/ET painted the story into a tight corner, but Bioware created this mess without a plan to get out of it. Doing their best to fix a mess they created doesn't magically turn this into a good or satisfying story. But, as I said with FE/ET mediocre story is better than no story.

Everything in this post is what I think in a much more polite way than I have been saying. Even without the Gravestone & the eternal fleet the alliance should be the most powerful faction in the galaxy; we have all their former experts, masses of resources (including the whole planet of Odessen) and us at the centre. We should be known as the Odessen Alliance. Anyone in our alliance should not be still tied to their former faction or be giving side-based ultimatums (given the choices made whilst we were fighting the Valkorians) - they made their choice and should be loyal to the alliance (which didn't happen in 5.10). We should, now the emperor and his crappy family are dead (or subdued & recruited) be the most powerful person/group in the galaxy with the Republic and Empire begging us for help. We should be able to choose which side to help in openly (not covertly) whilst maintaining our alliance. Even the resurrected former betrayer is no match for or equal to us. It's just rubbish. And I still play it because its "Star Wars"! They know my weakness.

Yup - it's also why I've made the conscious decision to not activate 5.10 on any of my characters. All my characters are either mid-Alliance content or haven't reached it yet. When they reach it they will all proudly wear the Alliance Commander title which Sul my Warrior won for her family. They will only progress to the new content when the Alliance regains its proper place in the galaxy. If it never happens, then my subscription ends. Just like that. In the meantime I have alts to create and take through to Odessen.

This is what I think too. The strength of the Alliance was not just the Gravestone and Eternal Fleet. They made a huge point about numerous forces joining us from across the galaxy, which, you know, would deplete the already greatly reduced militaries of the Empire and Republic. They also made a huge point about how crushed the Empire and Republic were and how they didn't have the resources to rebuild. So now we are too weak to stand on our own even though we have substantial mililtaries, good resources and plenty of force users? As you said, rubbish!

While I am an Alliance fan and I do agree with many of your points, you are overlooking quite a bit. Remember, all the Republic and Imperial defectors joined you because they wanted to liberate their homes. They wanted to liberate the Republic and Empire. The Republic and Empire have been liberated. And now they want to go home, reunite with friends, hug their families, etc.

So if you're confused as to why the Alliance loses so much manpower, that's why. It's members are going home. Of course, not everyone feels this way. There are still those now view the Alliance Commander as the best leader for the galaxy, given that the Commander did what the Republic and Empire couldn't do; the Commander toppled Zakuul. That's inspired some people to stay on Odessen and continue to support the Alliance Commander's actions. But again, that's only a small percentage of the original Alliance army that battled Zakuul.

The Alliance is still strong. Likely strong enough to single-handedly tip the balance in either the Empire or Republic's favor. But like you said: The Alliance has resources. Which makes it a prime target for resource-craving Empire and Republic. Simply put, without the backing of one of the big factions, Alliance space would be invaded by both the Empire and Republic, who are desperate for those resources.

Edited by Kataret