Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Honestly, I think they are saving this for some important expansion. This is more attractive than we could imagine and could bring lots of new players if well managed.

I can see the logic in that, though at the same time there are people who might well stop playing if it's implemented. Extremism is a wonderful thing.

But I think the benefits far outweigh anything else.

I think Dragon Age spooked a lot of players. They felt pressured into SG romances (particularly with Anders as I understand it). I can't say I ever felt that way myself as the flags were very clear, but then I also know some people don't pay a lot of attention to what dialogue they choose.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think that the "best" compromise would be to have a, um, sexual orientation switch in the Preferences panel that would allow us to switch the entire interaction run for our character.

No.

No compromise is the best compromise because we have no reason to compromise. We've been compromising since launch (before, for those of us who were in beta). 'Compromise' implies two parties working toward an equal footing, and sexual orientation toggles are not an equal footing.

We have no reason to compromise. We aren't asking for more than anyone else. We are asking for the same - and everyone can just ignore the flirts they don't want to pursue.

Edited by Kioma

Sexual preference toggles are... not my favourite thing in the world.

That is to say, I find the idea insulting and effectively futile. They're attempts to compromise with people who are immune to such.

To me it's the best compromise....but that doesn't mean I like it either.

Not only is a toggle not going to happen - the "compromise" is the same available right now to not explore the content by not choosing the clearly marked [Flirt] option - but arguing the point is actually against guidelines:

Hello everyone.

As a gentle reminder: Discussion of the implementation of toggles to filter same gender romance options is considered discriminatory language and is neither appropriate nor allowed on the forums. Posts along this vein of discussion will be removed.

Thank you and enjoy the discussion!

The reasoning being that for same-gender content to be treated differently from, and more difficult to access than - opposite-gender romance would be, in a word, discriminatory.

there are people who might well stop playing if it's implemented. Extremism is a wonderful thing.

Pffffft... people that dislike a game because same-gender marriage is POSSIBLE are probably also upset because it's possible to marry a different race. I don't think these kind of feelings should be taken into account when deciding something.

Is it a sensitive topic, for both sides? Yes.

Does that mean one said can impose their bigorty upon the other side? No.

That being said... I still got no clue what the DEVs answer meant, I guess this topic isn't important enough for them to be clear about. Fine by me, there are worse game-breaking issues int he game then this for me.

Is it a sensitive topic, for both sides? Yes.

Does that mean one said can impose their bigorty upon the other side? No.

Extremely well put.

That being said... I still got no clue what the DEVs answer meant, I guess this topic isn't important enough for them to be clear about. Fine by me, there are worse game-breaking issues int he game then this for me.

It wasn't a dev who commented. It was a community team member.

I can see the logic in that, though at the same time there are people who might well stop playing if it's implemented. Extremism is a wonderful thing.

But I think the benefits far outweigh anything else.

I think Dragon Age spooked a lot of players. They felt pressured into SG romances (particularly with Anders as I understand it). I can't say I ever felt that way myself as the flags were very clear, but then I also know some people don't pay a lot of attention to what dialogue they choose.

Well, given that the romance options here are obvious given that they say [flirt] in them, that shouldn't be a problem.

I honestly do understand where a lot of them are coming from since opposite gender romances (OGR) are painful to me and I really do find heterosexuality baffling and uncomfortable. I put up with men on my ship, but I'd really rather not have to tell Torian to keep his eyes to himself. Though, I would have loved to have had the option to tell him "Look, you're not my type." I even encouraged Mako and Torian to pursue a relationship.

I have mentioned as a suggestion that they give us the opportunity to swap out companions. It would mean a bit of a rewrite on certain sections of the storyline, but I don't think they'd be all that huge of an issue.

Say that you get Corso to Fleet and at the end of the first conversation you have with him he says "Look, Captain, I understand if you don't want me along with you. Thank you for getting me this far. I can probably pick up a job here and head out on my own, but you really need to have someone with you when you hit planet side. I have a friend on Coruscant who can help you out. Let me place a call and she'll meet you at the space port".

It obviously doesn't have to be for every companion. Quizen, Khem, Blizz, Scorpio, and a few others...the least human/humanoid of the crew. But, say, you get to the end of looking for Gault and you get a choice of killing him anyway or taking him along. If you kill him, he has a female companion in his ship that offers to join up with you, but if you keep Gault, you offer her a lift back to Mos Ila. Another option is, if you kill Skadge, you get back to the Imperial camp and you find, say, the girlfriend of the smuggler you just killed waiting there asking you to take her along.

This can work in a very odd way, I think. It allows BW to open up more companions without disrupting the whole game or forcing us to wait forever and could even open up more romance options.

BTW....with regards to Kaliyo and companions that show an intent for SGR....You can give courting objects to certain companions even if you are the same gender as them. Kaliyo doesn't like the courting objects if they come from a woman, but Temple does. Jaesa as well.

:( Now I feel like my posts are going to get deleted because even though I'm being nice, what I have to say may be taken as discriminatory language.

Edited by Joushigun

wooooow, I can't believe it, they know we exist!!!haha. well, i haven't been around for some days and now when i've seen the developer sign by this thread's title in story and lore, i just thought, oh my god, yeah!!!! but then... well, at least they didn't say "sorry guys, you'll never see this in game", so we just gotta keep waiting soooo patiently.

Honestly, I think they are saving this for some important expansion. This is more attractive than we could imagine and could bring lots of new players if well managed.

I honestly agree that it is likely to me more, rather than less, popular - that is, I think more players will join or return than would leave on account of it being implemented. Moreover, I believe BioWare thinks so as well, and thought so a year ago when the news of its pending inclusion was announced.

As for knowing we are here, yes. :) They have known all along. I had to poke a bit, and explain why it would be a good idea, to get a BioWare staff post here, but good things came out of that discussion such as:

• assurance that this content has not been abandoned
  • affirmation that "no new information" means old information still applies in spite of in-house changes
  • explanation that this topic is confined to one thread in order to moderate abusive posts
  • assurances the the team knows this content is important to many players
  • a promise that when there is new information on SGRs, it will appear here first.

So that's all good, and I hope the community team don't hate me for going to the lengths I did to clear all that up. :)

Not only is a toggle not going to happen - the "compromise" is the same available right now to not explore the content by not choosing the clearly marked [Flirt] option - but arguing the point is actually against guidelines:

The reasoning being that for same-gender content to be treated differently from, and more difficult to access than - opposite-gender romance would be, in a word, discriminatory.

I had not seen that particular note. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I would point out that not having the option to romance someone until very late in the game also feels kind of like they are treating us differently too.

I would point out that not having the option to romance someone until very late in the game also feels kind of like they are treating us differently too.

It would be, which is why I will be very disappointed if there aren't some existing characters made SGRA capable. To wait until 50+ to enjoy the romances we want to enjoy isn't good enough. That's not equality.

It would be, which is why I will be very disappointed if there aren't some existing characters made SGRA capable. To wait until 50+ to enjoy the romances we want to enjoy isn't good enough. That's not equality.

It's why I offered this idea:

I have mentioned as a suggestion that they give us the opportunity to swap out companions. It would mean a bit of a rewrite on certain sections of the storyline, but I don't think they'd be all that huge of an issue.

Say that you get Corso to Fleet and at the end of the first conversation you have with him he says "Look, Captain, I understand if you don't want me along with you. Thank you for getting me this far. I can probably pick up a job here and head out on my own, but you really need to have someone with you when you hit planet side. I have a friend on Coruscant who can help you out. Let me place a call and she'll meet you at the space port".

It obviously doesn't have to be for every companion. Quizen, Khem, Blizz, Scorpio, and a few others...the least human/humanoid of the crew. But, say, you get to the end of looking for Gault and you get a choice of killing him anyway or taking him along. If you kill him, he has a female companion in his ship that offers to join up with you, but if you keep Gault, you offer her a lift back to Mos Ila. Another option is, if you kill Skadge, you get back to the Imperial camp and you find, say, the girlfriend of the smuggler you just killed waiting there asking you to take her along.

The theory is sound, of course, and it would allow people to off the companions that annoy them the most, but the problem I see with it is that unless they've already started doing this it'll be a massive outlay of cost to start it up now.

I'd support it if the devs said, 'Hey we have the cash, do you want something like this?' but I honestly don't think that'd happen. Not until their F2P model is shown to sink or swim.

There are far more important updates and fixes needed in this game than same gender relationships.

In your opinion. In my opinion there are aclot more important updates and fixes needed in the Story driven mmo then there are PvP updates which your previous posts seem to indicate you're in favour of yet somehow you don't see me popping into pvp threads to let them know that. Crazy huh?

Oh - you mean only introducing SGRs with companions yet to come? Yeah, that wouldn't suit me at all well. I have been delaying my levelling - or at any rate pacing it out - so I don't actually have anyone at 50.

Remember, though, that from the panel discussion it sounded like SGRs and which companions would have them had been determined very early in the companion design process. So I remain hopeful, additionally because Daniel Erickson teased that they won't tell us which companions yet, that some of our current companions at least will be available.

Oh - you mean only introducing SGRs with companions yet to come? Yeah, that wouldn't suit me at all well. I have been delaying my levelling - or at any rate pacing it out - so I don't actually have anyone at 50.

Remember, though, that from the panel discussion it sounded like SGRs and which companions would have them had been determined very early in the companion design process. So I remain hopeful, additionally because Daniel Erickson teased that they won't tell us which companions yet, that some of our current companions at least will be available.

Yeah, I expect there'll be some existing SGRA-capable characters. Possibly less than OGRA-capable characters but I'm entirely willing to be surprised on that account. I got the same impression, that they know who's going to get SGRA'd up and that includes some of the extant companions, I'm mostly just registering my opinion on the matter.

If we can't start SGRAs around the same time we can OGRAs then it's not equality.

I do like this idea. My only thing would be that if you like one companion as a friend but want to romance the swappable it forces you to choose between two favourable paths.

That said, I would be delighted to be able to swap out some never-used companions with others. I'm still a bit miffed we don't get a chiss companion at all. Would've been an interesting chance to learn about one of the more mysterious races of SW, as well as a talk-point for IAs and BHs. (but that, again, is my personal adoration of the blue folk coming into play)

And it has been mentioned several times that there are more pressing fixes to make - we aren't debating that. Some of the bugs are downright aggravating. But this thread is about SGRs, not what the highest priority on the fix list is.

BTW....with regards to Kaliyo and companions that show an intent for SGR....You can give courting objects to certain companions even if you are the same gender as them. Kaliyo doesn't like the courting objects if they come from a woman, but Temple does. Jaesa as well.

Just FYI, Kaliyo doesn't take courting gifts from men either. Not even in a relationship. She just doesn't like that kind of stuff, lol.

Just FYI, Kaliyo doesn't take courting gifts from men either. Not even in a relationship. She just doesn't like that kind of stuff, lol.

Well, I've never played a male toon before...I still thought it was wonderful that I could 'court' Jaesa even if she wouldn't be 'dating' my Warrior.

Re: Swapping Out Companions-

I'm glad that the idea is a good one. I would love it if they were doing that, but understand if they can't due to time/cost.

Courting gifts seem not necessarily tied to romance. Some companions like them regardless of who gives them, some don't. I do know that romance can change how companions feel about different kinds of gifts, but only in theory, as I am of course waiting for the romances which interest me.

Who is making demands? Not us.

There has been one thread, begun on Jan. 17. When others have been started elsewhere to ask about this content, they are closed and re-directed here. And waiting is what we're doing. Discussing how it might be implemented, what we want to see, what we don't want to see, and so on.

What makes you interpret any of that as a demand? Do you go and yell at people asking about paid server transfers or chat bubbles? They are far more demanding than we. Most of what we are asking for is improved communication or clarification of whether internal changes at BioWare have affected the projected time frame for this project.

Companion stories are - surprise - actual game play. It is not my fault that content locusts who spacebar their way to level 50 endgame discover a new MMO is thin on endgame and thus have nothing to do. It certainly shouldn't delay the implementation of content which the developers freely admit was in its original conception intended for inclusion at launch.

It is integral to the game. It will take the time it takes, and that's fine. No one is saying otherwise. But it is no more nor less important than any other new content anyone else is looking forward to. What is wrong with looking forward to something we'll enjoy?

TL;DR -- Get back under your bridge.

This isn't the first thread with the name of this, there has been at least two others that they had to close and restart that I have seen so far, so yea there has been more then one. I said, some not all, have been very impatient with BW and the implementation of SGR . I guess you didn't read the some, not all part of my post. Those people who space bar to 50 are lame for not enjoying the story, I am not one of those. Original conception and release are two different things and they said they had planned it but it didn't happen. Alot didn't happen at release, this was one of the things. Not like this was left out on purpose.

I do think new content is more important then SGR, while a feature, for the vast game what would it add. A few new options to talk to companions, that's it. I rate new content higher, fixing bugs way higher, fixing pvp higher. I don't need to get under a bridge, I am fine where I am. There are more important things that BW need to fix first then add SGR. They should be more forthcoming of an update but perhaps they don't have one as of yet?

This is the sixth incarnation of this thread, which has had a total of about 6200 posts since January. It gets remade because it is the only location on these forums where SGRs may be discussed. I count it as one thread - one topic - that is broken up due to length. It's longevity, as players come and go, is a testimony to the interest in the subject. One thread doesn't seem to be a lot of space to take up on the forums. Search "chat bubbles" for comparison.

You know, personally, I think that Party Jawas and being able to get an HK-51 companion are just...well, not important. I think they're superfluous to the game. I am not alone in this.

But for some, this is what they want. Just because you don't want something does not mean that it isn't important to put in or important for the game overall.

I don't really like Jawas all that much (their voice annoys me), and I abhorred HK-51 in KOTOR.

To paraphrase Terry Pratchett- personal opinion is not the same as important.

I've only recently started perusing this thread as it always seemed a bit daunting, with several incarnations and hundreds of comments. But boy, does my hat go off to you guys who continually come in here and defend this concept to all the over-privileged, basement-dwelling troglodytes who think they know what Bioware should or should not prioritize (it's not important to ME, therefore it is not important AT ALL. ME ME MEEE *vomit*).

That you have the patience and mental disposition is just awe-inspiring.

I've only recently started perusing this thread as it always seemed a bit daunting, with several incarnations and hundreds of comments. But boy, does my hat go off to you guys who continually come in here and defend this concept to all the over-privileged, basement-dwelling troglodytes who think they know what Bioware should or should not prioritize (it's not important to ME, therefore it is not important AT ALL. ME ME MEEE *vomit*).

That you have the patience and mental disposition is just awe-inspiring.

I only just started in on this too, but this pales in comparison to running a small LGBT oriented news site.