[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My idea keeps getting buried under all this craziness!

What does everyone think about having just your player character in high resolution? It is the character we look at the most anyway and it would keep load down or whatever Bioware is afraid of.

Yes? No?

Should be easy to do, right?

Anyone else notice that the secret behind the reponse today was to showcase the voiced cutscenes at the highest quality possible?

This game has more voice acting than any other. They saved the best for those scenes and screwed everything else leading up to them.

Funny. Do you people want some cookies now?

What does everyone think about having just your player character in high resolution? It is the character we look at the most anyway and it would keep load down or whatever Bioware is afraid of.

Yes? No?

Not sure if it's easy to do or not but when you click the holo terminal on your ship you see high res for a second and its nothing ive ever seen before even with everythign maxed out im still pulling 140FPS and it still looks like nothing from that .5 seconds after i click the holoe terminal.

thought your original post was fantastic....had a very good laugh, thank you.

i thought it was great as well, bioware should not have removed it, it just pissed me off that they did. Because in all honesty its what happened here.

Just give us the ultra option, we will be responsible adults and use it only if our PCs can handle it, do not treat us like children.

Yes? No?

Yes it would. Yes it is a decent idea.

I sense an incoming slew of post deletions and thread locks.

They might delete the posts and lock down the threads on the swtor forums, but other websites have already picked up the news. There's little they can do about that, except bribing them.

Stephen, firstly thanks for the lengthy description of whats going on. I know you're the messenger here, but I have to call foul on this.

I bought a brand new highest-end gaming PC with the 3x the needed amount of everything and latest and greatest everything - JUST FOR THIS GAME. My GAMING computer eats SkyRim at all the highest settings for breakfast (and then some), but you're telling me in SWTOR my only option is to look at textures that literally make me ask (yes, I've literally asked this of people) why BioWare hasn't hired artists who could be bothered to draw straight lines and color inside of them?! That's the measure of quality you want to force in your product even for customers who have high end gaming systems?!

If this is 'working as intended' and the impact is actually understood ... that's a pretty big problem.

I realize this is an MMO, but despite being the new comer aiming to set the bar higher ... it has the worst textures of any other MMO I've ever played (even when I played them on far less powerful systems than I have now).

I appreciate your desire to ensure everyone's experience, but the 'solution' here is EXTREMELY over zealous (to the point of causing problems and frustration to your customers) if even the latest and greatest GAMING systems out there are left unable to even tell what the armor REALLY looks like in the preview pain. I have to have my companion character try it on just to know what it probably really looks like. Otherwise, the lines are fuzzy, colors washed out and haphazardly jetting out of their place. Drawn lines that would otherwise convey depth are completely absent.

Other AAA MMO titles allow for this lower level of detail for those systems which cannot handle more, but they allow high end systems to leverage their power (which we, your customers, have paid dearly for).

At some point, my client performance is my issue to solve not yours.

There NEEDS to be an option (you can have it disabled it by default) for us to elect to take the risk of a performance hit and turn on high res textures. If there is no mechanism for this then your controls have gone too far.

Look at the examples posted to the forums. It's unacceptable.

I'm really really upset by this answer. I nearly cannot believe it.

You truly take the words out of my mouth.

It's really hard to believe that a renowned games developer like BioWare gets this low. Did you actually believe a single person would believe that garbage spewn out by your spokesman?!

I have also canceled my subscription. I dont care if some aspects of the game are fun, nothing justifies blatantly decieving your customer base by showing a product that they had no intent or capability to deliver. I hope this thread hits every gaming and sales site out there. Like I posted on page 70, this is a legitimate FTC complaint. Simply go to their site, fill out a five minute form, and let your unwillingness to accept this speak for itself.

Time to go submit my Amazon review!

I'll have to agree.. the shadows do look like junk..

I've noticed the shadows look way better when viewed at an angle (as during actual gameplay), rather than directly face-on (during screenshots illustrating how pixelated the shadows really are).

Just sayin.

Yes? No?

Just an option for Ultra or REAL high settings

The Choice, my rig can handle it just fine

But having a game as this with lowbie graphics is ruining the experience

they took such big care building the worlds and such only to let it down by shoddy graphics

They made their own work, their OWN work look bad, this i can not comprehend

Originally Posted by StephenReid

After investigation, it seems that the confusion here is a combination of a UI issue that's been resolved and a feature that's working as intended, but the reason why it's 'working as intended' needs explanation.

First, the UI issue. The preferences menu as it is seen on the Public Test Server for version 1.1 of the game is correct - there are only supposed to be two texture choices, 'Low' and 'High'. This replaces the original three-choice preference of Low/Medium/High because in reality, there was never supposed to be a 'Medium' choice - that was a bug.

The medium choice was a bug.

By accident there happened to be a medium texture setting in the beta, that made the textures blurred out.

Now there was also a high setting that was not working.

This 'bug' during the whole beta, has now been investigated.

You know these settings that 'magically' appeared.

MR Reid Biowares attitude and customer service are disgusting.

It's disappointing to see you answering with so much >Insert bad word<.

As for the optimization, this game runes terrible.

Even if it did ran smooth servers in Ireland aren't helping, don't come with 'it's good service'.

Ireland is one of the worst places to have the servers in for the EU but guess what, it's also one of the cheapest.

The game is alright but some how I hope Bioware just fails hard when I see this kind of comments.

Yes? No?

Yes it's a good idea, as for whether it's easy to do or not, only BioWare knows.

this, this is exactly what that piece of ... is, an insult and a slap in the face to us all.

"After investigation" wow this is ... precious, they really think we are a bunch of morons.

seriously, the fact that we had 3 options instead of 2 in preferences was a bug ?

a bug that of course didn't appear in any known bugs thread and a bug they magically discover after all this time in beta and after launch,

really how stupid do you think we are.

they tried to change it covertly and they got caught with their pants down, so now they serve us this PR ... , well of course it was a bug everything is good, everything working as intended, move along.

/sarcasm.

and then there's this little gem here too :

this game is optimized ? seriously ?

i wonder if Mr Reid could keep a straight face when he wrote this :rolleyes:

I totally agree. Im not a game developer but i clearly understand the process of software development. There is no need in INVESTIGATION because all stages of project are usually discussed, planed, documented. And graphical appearance of product isn't some minor coding thingie. So all that answer is a BIG FAT LIE.

Yes? No?

I'd say it's better than nothing, and would be a good start.

I actually feel a bit sorry for them but im angry at the fact i upgraded my pc and spent money on the game. They are getting battered off the community tonight whether fairly or not depending in your views.

All i have to say is all this controversy with fps and all the other stuff has left me uninterested in this game, so i wont be subbing any longer.

However id hate to have spent 7 years on something only for it to be ripped to bits, so i hope they sort it out in the future

I wont post anymore so GL with all who play this game