Jedi forms of punishment?

Jablestein

I'm just curious what forms of punishment the Jedi order would exercise against members of the order that break the Jedi Code? How strict are they about the Code itself? Many of the rules seem extremely rigid (especially regarding things such as emotions and relationships) and I'm wondering how people who break these codes are actually dealt with.

Well if you would betray the Jedi, they could take away your Force-sensitivity, though there are examples of force-users regaining it after the punishment...

That isn't what happened to the Exile, if that's who you're referring too. They kind of retconned what happened.

When she released the mass shadow generator on Malachor V, it created such a wound in the Force she had to cut herself off from it before it destroyed her mind. She slightly reconnected to it, but her main source of power came from the powerful Force bonds she formed with people.

As for actual punishments, I think most of them are just slaps on the wrist and embarrassment in front of the Council, however they could always kick you out.

So it's possible for them to simply take away your force sensitivity? If that's the case then why not just take it away from dark side users such as the sith? I'm a little confused about this process.

What happens to Jedi that simply leave the order because of disagreements or broken codes? Do the Jedi make any attempt to stop them or keep them from becoming sith, or do they simply let them go along their merry way without and care or concern? I mean, what would have been the Jedi Order's reaction had they found out Anakin and Padme we're married and having kids against the code if Anakin wouldn't have flipped out on his own? Would they have intervened? Would they have taken the kids away?

I mean, what would have been the Jedi Order's reaction had they found out Anakin and Padme we're married and having kids against the code if Anakin wouldn't have flipped out on his own? Would they have intervened? Would they have taken the kids away?

I wondered this too. From the movies, it sounded like the only thing that would happen is Anakin would be tossed out of the Jedi Order, and for some reason the scandal would ruin Padme's political career too. And that was one of the problems I had with the prequels, cause all I could think was "if it was me, I'd say to heck with the Jedi and Senate, I'd just go live at that awesome mansion on Naboo and make babies with Natalie Portman."

As far as I've been able to tell, they say,"NO! That's a bad Jedi!"

The most I've ever heard as punishment is being kicked out of the order, stripped of title and exiled. I didn't know it was possible to take someone's powers from them.

Though I suspect if/when possible they use governing authorities laws as a loophole to allow capital punishment/imprisonment. Capture said rogue Jedi, and if treason was committed against the Republic they'd allow them to "fairly" stand trial for their crimes and respect the ruling of the Republic. Even if the ruling was execution.

Being a Jedi is being a slave to the code that doesn't allow you to love or desire anything.

How much more punishment could you ask for?

Being a Jedi is living torture.

apart from the fact that the 'force' you speak about is actually everything, including the person you would love/have sex with, romance and so on, and nothing that exists, including concepts and acts are outside it.

and when you are one with the force, you are one with everything. meaning, you are romancing/loving/having sex/fighting/laughing/making up/sad/happy/angry/calm all at the same time.

like perpetual state of bliss that is described in some hindu teachings - you dont need anything, because you become one with everything you need.

So it's possible for them to simply take away your force sensitivity? If that's the case then why not just take it away from dark side users such as the sith? I'm a little confused about this process.

that was just something script writers for the game star wars knights of the old republic : the sith lords came up with in the game's story.

its not canon.

I played only a bit during an Open Beta Weekend and I wonder if there's a way to switch sides e.g. surrender to the Dark Side as a Jedi, betray Republic and join the Empire or vice versa. I remember EQII had such an option.

That would be awesome if it could be done.

that was just something script writers for the game star wars knights of the old republic : the sith lords came up with in the game's story.

its not canon.

I think that part of KOTOR2 is still C-Canon, but regardless, it's not just from KOTOR2 at all. Nomi Sunrider cut Ulic Qel-Droma off from the force, and the entire Yuuzhan Vong species was severed from the force.

Edited by jaredninness

That isn't what happened to the Exile, if that's who you're referring too. They kind of retconned what happened.

When she released the mass shadow generator on Malachor V, it created such a wound in the Force she had to cut herself off from it before it destroyed her mind. She slightly reconnected to it, but her main source of power came from the powerful Force bonds she formed with people.

As for actual punishments, I think most of them are just slaps on the wrist and embarrassment in front of the Council, however they could always kick you out.

They didn't retcon it. That was what happened in the game. She cut herself off, but it was instinctive and she didn't realized she did it. The Jedi Councils sin was not telling her the truth about what happened.

They knew, they didn't actually do it to her.

When this form of punishment is mentioned in Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, it is said to be an old form of punishment. It is likely that the Jedi Order at some point lost the knowledge that was necessary to use the Force in such a manner.

What happens to Jedi that simply leave the order because of disagreements or broken codes? Do the Jedi make any attempt to stop them or keep them from becoming sith, or do they simply let them go along their merry way without and care or concern?
For the most part, it seems that those former Jedi are left alone, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Order attempted to keep watch over them, since they would still have abilities that most individuals in the galaxy would not have.

I mean, what would have been the Jedi Order's reaction had they found out Anakin and Padme we're married and having kids against the code if Anakin wouldn't have flipped out on his own? Would they have intervened? Would they have taken the kids away?

Yes. The children would have been taken to the Temple, and raised by the Order. Removing children from their families and raising them from as early an age as possible entirely inside the Order was the modus operandi of the Jedi Order of that time.

They didn't retcon it. That was what happened in the game. She cut herself off, but it was instinctive and she didn't realized she did it. The Jedi Councils sin was not telling her the truth about what happened.

They knew, they didn't actually do it to her.

Indeed. There was no retcon at all involved in Meetra Surik's loss of connection to the Force. Every time you meet a member of the Jedi Council in that game, each one's response to being asked "why did you do this to me?" is a variation on "You think we did this? We did not." The only person in TSL who claimed the Council had severed Surik's connection to the Force as punishment for following Revan and Malak during the Mandalorian Wars was Kreia - and she was not to be trusted, as she herself would tell you.