Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

PTS Phase 3 - World Content Balance

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
PTS Phase 3 - World Content Balance
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Exocor's Avatar


Exocor
10.03.2019 , 11:35 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Is there a tactical that feels too strong? Too weak?
Shadows/Assassins have access to a tactical (don't remember the name, PTS is offline, can't check) that grants you two charges for force cloak. However, you can unequip and reequip yourself with this tactical when you're out of combat - so, you can use force cloak, drop the tactical, equip it again and then you again get two charges for force cloak. That results in you being able to cloak as often as you like, as long as you reequip the tactical in question every time you stealth. And since you can pull an equipment piece into your quickbar and can equip it by just pressing the keybind in the quickbar, it just takes two clicks to reset the force cloak cooldown.

So, either we need a lock for equipment changes when a boss fight is running or you're in a pvp match (similar to locking the skilltree) or the tactical needs to be reworked.

If you want to rework it, I think the best way to change it would be to have it grant two charges on resilience/shroud or battle readiness/overcharge saber instead of force cloak.
Infinitas Coryak - Tulak Hord Nox
--
Check our Sale Offers!

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
10.03.2019 , 12:00 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Exocor View Post
Shadows/Assassins have access to a tactical (don't remember the name, PTS is offline, can't check) that grants you two charges for force cloak. However, you can unequip and reequip yourself with this tactical when you're out of combat - so, you can use force cloak, drop the tactical, equip it again and then you again get two charges for force cloak. That results in you being able to cloak as often as you like, as long as you reequip the tactical in question every time you stealth. And since you can pull an equipment piece into your quickbar and can equip it by just pressing the keybind in the quickbar, it just takes two clicks to reset the force cloak cooldown.

So, either we need a lock for equipment changes when a boss fight is running or you're in a pvp match (similar to locking the skilltree) or the tactical needs to be reworked.

If you want to rework it, I think the best way to change it would be to have it grant two charges on resilience/shroud or battle readiness/overcharge saber instead of force cloak.
The pvp part should be relatively easy to fix. Just lock equipment changes once the match starts. The same as they stopped us from respecing in a match.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
10.03.2019 , 04:04 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
The pvp part should be relatively easy to fix. Just lock equipment changes once the match starts. The same as they stopped us from respecing in a match.
I miss being able to respec in warzones =(

Hudlar's Avatar


Hudlar
10.04.2019 , 12:35 AM | #14
TrixxieTriss mentioned in another thread that it was important for solo/story players and people who are on the less-skilled side of the curve to test the story content. I'm definitely in that demographic, so I thought I'd help out.

I copied a Gunnery Commando who is still working on his class story to the PTS. I left him at L70 and didn't upgrade his gear, which is item rating 242 and (on the PTS) doesn't have set bonuses. He was level-synced to L48 on Voss.

I ran two heroics: Savage Connections (enemies L46) with an influence 50 healing companion and Trial of the First (enemies L45) with an influence 20 healing companion. Honestly, I didn't really notice much difference from live. My health bar might have twitched slightly a few times instead of staying solidly at 100%, and enemies might have taken slightly longer to kill, though I'm not sure about that. But overall, these heroics seemed just as easy as they are on live.

I also tried a planet mission (the fight with Lord Beldiss) and a class mission (Hostile Negotiations), both with an influence 50 healing companion. Again, I didn't notice much difference from live; everything was very easy, including the fight with Lord Beldiss.

TL,DR: If Voss is representative of the vanilla planets, solo/story players have nothing to worry about there.

ETA: I just re-checked, and the companion I was using for Savage Connections and the missions was influence 39, not 50. So the overall message is even more reassuring.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
10.04.2019 , 12:41 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Hudlar View Post
TrixxieTriss mentioned in another thread that it was important for solo/story players and people who are on the less-skilled side of the curve to test the story content. I'm definitely in that demographic, so I thought I'd help out.

I copied a Gunnery Commando who is still working on his class story to the PTS. I left him at L70 and didn't upgrade his gear, which is item rating 242 and (on the PTS) doesn't have set bonuses. He was level-synced to L48 on Voss.

I ran two heroics: Savage Connections (enemies L46) with an influence 50 healing companion and Trial of the First (enemies L45) with an influence 20 healing companion. Honestly, I didn't really notice much difference from live. My health bar might have twitched slightly a few times instead of staying solidly at 100%, and enemies might have taken slightly longer to kill, though I'm not sure about that. But overall, these heroics seemed just as easy as they are on live.

I also tried a planet mission (the fight with Lord Beldiss) and a class mission (Hostile Negotiations), both with an influence 50 healing companion. Again, I didn't notice much difference from live; everything was very easy, including the fight with Lord Beldiss.

TL,DR: If Voss is representative of the vanilla planets, solo/story players have nothing to worry about there.
Thanks for helping out and good feed back.

Hawkebatt's Avatar


Hawkebatt
10.04.2019 , 01:44 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by EmperorRus View Post
Volt Rush and Severing Slash are completely useless.


An Explosive Return. Completely worthless


Yes. Buff Madness and Deception single target DPS, Madness and Hatred survivability
Really I parsed 15271 on my deception single target death knell set Awakening flame tactical?
Emotion, yet Peace. Ignorance, yet Knowledge. Passion, yet Serenity.

Chaos, Yet Harmony. Death, yet the Force. Contemplation, yet Duty.

newegg's Avatar


newegg
10.04.2019 , 03:02 AM | #17
This whole "horizontal progression" system seems good in idea. Sure have different set bonuses and different tacticals adds great new styles of play and adds more variation to classes/specs. But having 20 different variants for each type of mod slot, where each slot may have multiple types (ie Mods have R, AR, BR and enhancements have 3 secondary stats but each then further has different variants nimble/savant/etc.) is just insane. I have had my subscription to have meaningful progression in Operations (which has currently been too easy with number fluff but that's nothing compared to the insult that is the variants) and with meaningful gear acquisition. If it entails me grinding/pounding my head against my keyboard not only for higher new 20 levels of higher gear, but also having to deal with hundreds of useless variants, I may just leave after Dxun. (edit mistype vertical should say horizontal)
Carnage Mara- Fusion Arsenal Merc- Omega
Vengeance Jug- Lucifer

JainiaDral's Avatar


JainiaDral
10.04.2019 , 06:11 AM | #18
Okey doke, story player here. I started a new Shadow on the PTS and made my way through Tython. You're synced to a max level of 10 on the planet. I have no legacy, no datacron bonus.

I used a level 1 Shae Vizla for most of the content, including running the heroic twice. The heroic was no problem, including the bonus champion droid at the end. Most of the content was fine-- I had zero issues until the final quest in the Consular chain.

The dark beast you have to defeat after claiming your lightsaber crystal seriously needs to be toned down after the big healing companion and level sync nerf. A LOT. During that fight I was using a level 2 Qyzen, and I nearly died multiple times (4% health) due to the beast's constant fire attacks at melee range. I was level 15 at the time and had absolutely no skills to counter or damage mitigation. The constant knockbacks also nearly destroyed my companion. The final boss battle with Nalen was a snap by comparison, and so was the heroic.

Someone needs to do a fine tuning on level sync and do detailed professional testing before you let this go live.

And the passive conquest points are crazy low. After finishing almost every single quest on the planet, and hitting level 17 before I left, I only had 1035 points toward the 50K total. New players aren't going to have a prayer of hitting the personal weekly goal.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
10.04.2019 , 09:52 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by newegg View Post
This whole "vertical progression" system seems good in idea. Sure have different set bonuses and different tacticals adds great new styles of play and adds more variation to classes/specs. But having 20 different variants for each type of mod slot, where each slot may have multiple types (ie Mods have R, AR, BR and enhancements have 3 secondary stats but each then further has different variants nimble/savant/etc.) is just insane. I have had my subscription to have meaningful progression in Operations (which has currently been too easy with number fluff but that's nothing compared to the insult that is the variants) and with meaningful gear acquisition. If it entails me grinding/pounding my head against my keyboard not only for higher new 20 levels of higher gear, but also having to deal with hundreds of useless variants, I may just leave after Dxun.
To clarify, what they are going for is horizontal progression. Vertical progression is what we currently have. Sadly the system in 6.0 is still very much vertical progression. The truest form of horizontal progression would be what FFXI did for years before the abyssea content. The level cap remained at 75 for nearly a decade and new gear was never better than old gear, just different. So like a level 30 pair of gloves that I can't remember what it did, +10 to power or something, but even at level 75 players would still be using those level 30 gloves because the stats were beneficial.

Swtor idea of "horizontal progression" is just giving us a bunch of different set bonuses and a billion different mod types at cap level, but ilvl still exists so its still a vertical progression.

Hudlar's Avatar


Hudlar
10.04.2019 , 10:20 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by JainiaDral View Post
Okey doke, story player here. I started a new Shadow on the PTS and made my way through Tython. You're synced to a max level of 10 on the planet. I have no legacy, no datacron bonus.
Interesting! Thanks for trying this. It really shows how tricky it is to set difficulty levels for story content that everyone needs to be able to complete. Not only is there a wide range of player skill, but someone who is just starting won't have access to the perks that a player who has been around for a while will have. My skill level isn't going to get me invited to any progression raiding teams, but I have all the class buffs, some datacrons, plenty of credits and companion gifts, etc. In an ideal world, we'd be able to choose a difficulty level for all story content, but I don't think the devs have the resources for that.