Major class changes without addressing lightsabers is a joke

Felioats

I'm talking about this:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/23065-game-update-1-7-datamined-information-updated-with

I know it's been talked to death, but for me, the lightsaber issue will never be settled. A class that can only use the ancient weapon of the Jedi as a stat stick is an affront to Star Wars.

Whomever came up with the idea should have been chided out of the room, yet here we are.

Not only is there no spec giving you even a single scaling saber attack, it isn't even used in any casting animations. Not even Tumult, which would have been the perfect opportunity for a saber attack. Instead we're expected to believe the sage is too frail to swing a saber, but he can do a spinning ninja kick. It's like they went out of their way to spit in the franchise's face.

Edited by Felioats

I know it's been talked to death, but for me, the lightsaber issue will never be settled. A class that can only use the ancient weapon of the Jedi as a stat stick is an affront to Star Wars.

lol, we can't even use the force as well as the other force users (resilience, camo, guarded by bioware... sorry the force etc etc etc), despite being the ones that use the "force master" set,and you want to use a lightsabre as well?

I totally agree, but sorcs/sages have been designed to be pve healers only, and there is little hope that this will change.

Yeah tumult is pointless, we don't get resilience, where's our "dancing sabre attack" or something?

Edited by Chemic_al

lol, we can't even use the force as well as the other force users (resilience, camo, guarded by bioware... sorry the force etc etc etc), despite being the ones that use the "force master" set,and you want to use a lightsabre as well?

I totally agree, but sorcs/sages have been designed to be pve healers only, and there is little hope that this will change.

Yeah tumult is pointless, we don't get resilience, where's our "dancing sabre attack" or something?

Wouldn't hurt if melee skills scaled off Will, like they did with the baseline Consular class. Because why not. Wouldn't mind a baseline "self-defense" lightsaber move, like a short root.

Wouldn't hurt if melee skills scaled off Will, like they did with the baseline Consular class. Because why not. Wouldn't mind a baseline "self-defense" lightsaber move, like a short root.

why not indeed? Why can't we use the force to defend ourselves like other classes can?

Lot's of "whys", no answers.

Why would you want to play a partial role of a Sith Warrior when your best chances of survival is to stay away from melee? As a sage you cant be effective with melee, thats not your training's purpose, not your role.

I understand you want sages to have melee attacks as well but you are not that class, you are dead weight to a team if you want to melee with a pure range force wielder class.

Why would you want to play a partial role of a Sith Warrior when your best chances of survival is to stay away from melee? As a sage you cant be effective with melee, thats not your training's purpose, not your role.

I understand you want sages to have melee attacks as well but you are not that class, you are dead weight to a team if you want to melee with a pure range force wielder class.

I don't want to come off as rude but it seems like you are missing the point.

I don't think any sorc/sage is asking to be good both in melee and at range. It's just that the lightsaber is such an integral part of both Sith and Jedi so it feels really awkward that we can't do anything with it.

It wouldn't even have to be a melee damage attack as far as I am concrned. Just an ability that required you to use the lightsaber to activate it would suffice.

I have posted this before, but say that you have Affliction up on a target and then hit him with for example Thrash. This would cause Affliction to immediately detonate for the full damage with some splash damage to neaby targets (and if they also carried Affliction those would detonate too). Obviously this would put Affliction on some cooldown to prevent chain casting.

In the end, this is an MMO. It is based in the Star Wars universe, but it still has to play like an MMO. Giving a ranged class melee abilities is a problem.

A compromise would be to give Sorcs/Sages a saber throw of some sort. This seems a completely legitimate suggestion, but the devs don't appear to care at this point.

I will settle for better balance between the classes. If we get that with 1.7, I won't let the lack of saber skills bother me.

In the end, this is an MMO. It is based in the Star Wars universe, but it still has to play like an MMO. Giving a ranged class melee abilities is a problem.

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about balance over this. My gunslinger whacks people over the head all the time with the back of his gun without people crying "Foul!".

Balance obviously needs to be concidered but that is more determined by the ability itself rather than the fact that it is activated within melee range. We ain't asking for a Maul type of damage, just something, anything, that could be activated with the saber, mostly for the feeling, not as a class buff.

It could be that a saber attack caused accelerated metabolism on the target, causing the remaining Affliction ticks to tick every second instead of every third.

I can't picture every sorc/sage suddenly rushing into melee range over that. And even if they did, no one would be happier than the melee classes if they did.

Snipers have shiv, mercs have rocket punch, and let's not forget when we were back on Korriban or Tython, when sabre strike and thrash/double strike, was one of our core ways of dispatching foes. So, why are they thrown out of the window and apparently we forget how to use them when we chose our AC? Snipers and Mercs certainly didn't "forget" their melee abilties. It's not entirely unreasonable should we find ourselves in melee range that we should be able to still use thrash with willpower to damage using it. The even stupider thing is that Strength adds damage to it, but our mainstat does not. No, there is no logical reason for things the way they are.

And it's not like melee classes don't get ranged abilities.

Edited by Chemic_al

We do get a melee ability, Tumult. And I agree this could/should have been a lightsaber ability. As I said, I would like to see a saber throw animation. But it isn't going to do the class any good whatsoever to add a meaningless melee ability. We are designed to fight at range, and that is where we should stay.

We do get a melee ability, Tumult. And I agree this could/should have been a lightsaber ability. As I said, I would like to see a saber throw animation. But it isn't going to do the class any good whatsoever to add a meaningless melee ability. We are designed to fight at range, and that is where we should stay.

Tumult... is conditional on the target being incapacitated, and a level 28 ability, hardly the same as the ones I mentioned which you learn before you pick an AC for agents and bounty hunters, the comparable abilities for us being thrash and sabre strike.

We have to live with stay stick but I have a question to everyone who read the changes. Do u think its enough for tk sage? The second bubble sounds like its channeled meaning we can't attack while it is up. Is the teleport ability for us or just shadows cause that seems like it will help but not sure if we will have access to it

I would love to see an attach for each tree that involved charging the light saber with the force then unleashing the energy with an attack. Below are some ideas

Seer/Corruption: Arcing slash attack that does minor damage and applies debuff to enemies in frontal cone. debuff heals allies who attack the target

Telekinetics/Lightning: Hurl charged saber at target dealing moderate and applies stacks of a debuff. debuff causes target to take additional damage and lose a stack of the debuff when attacked

Balance/Madness: Leap attack only usable on targets taking damage from your mind crush/crushing darkness. Does heavy damage and gives movement speed buff for a very short duration.

As much as I hate bringing WoW into TOR conversations--- I was reading this thread and I remembered metamorphosis demo warlocks in WoW. Generally speaking they are magic ranged DPS, but they have a cooldown that allows them to melee for a short time as they turn into a demon and are granted melee abilities.

Why can't we do this for sages? Obviously not turning into a demon or anything, but give us a cooldown that gives us some powerful melee abilities that allows us to jump into the fold for 30 seconds every 5 minutes or something.

Don't want to point the obvious, but trash(double strike) is using light sabre, and the free attack uses it too.

it's not harry potter for you to use the sabre to cast lightning. you do it from your finger tips.

and last time I checked, my sage uses glow stick to block bolts, and uses it it animations.

The second bubble sounds like its channeled meaning we can't attack while it is up. Is the teleport ability for us or just shadows cause that seems like it will help but not sure if we will have access to it

The "teleport" is likely to be Shadows only, as the "self-stasis" is likely to be Sages only.

And you're not mistaking, the "self-stasis"-ability is likely to be a "I'm not here, don't mind my presence"-ability. Nobody can fight with you, and you can't fight either.

PS : The Shadow that I am, don't want this "teleport". I'm a Jedi, who applies some mystical forces to affects objects or individuals, not a ninja who teleports and doing as well as a Rakata device but without any technology.

A compromise would be to give Sorcs/Sages a saber throw of some sort. This seems a completely legitimate suggestion, but the devs don't appear to care at this point.

I will settle for better balance between the classes. If we get that with 1.7, I won't let the lack of saber skills bother me.

Agreed completely, I would like at least one ability when my lightsaber is used in some form, other than just deflecting blaster bolts. A throw with some light damage ability would be awesome... It'd be nice if you could use your saber as a protective barrier, spinning around you as a sort of damage shield instead of that quasi lame bubble boy shield we get.

Even if they did give Tumult a lightsaber animation, it still wouldn't be enough. I wouldn't mind having situational lightsaber abilities as long as they got some use, but Tumult is not only situational, it is unusable in the elder game.

Yeah Tumult is actually a pretty cool ability, but its nearly useless in PvE and you can't even use it in PvP. I dont understand putting abilities like this in the game if the limitations are as above... just adds more needless complexity that MMO's as a whole suffer from.

Edited by AdamGe

Tumult is going away, according to the patch notes on Darth Hater. So now we have even fewer close abilities and still no reason to carry a lightsaber. And instead of giving us a lightsaber throw (which would make so much sense it's ridiculous), they're giving the Sentinels/Marauders an extra one to make it even more awesome.

I'm talking about this:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/feature/23065-game-update-1-7-datamined-information-updated-with

Whomever came up with the idea should have been chided out of the room, yet here we are.

Not only is there no spec giving you even a single scaling saber attack, it isn't even used in any casting animations. Not even Tumult, which would have been the perfect opportunity for a saber attack. Instead we're expected to believe the sage is too frail to swing a saber, but he can do a spinning ninja kick. It's like they went out of their way to spit in the franchise's face.

this

I want my lightsaber back

Well, I looked a the class creation bit of the game, and for Sith Inquisitor it says:

"Where A Sith Warrior is rage, an Inquisitor is cunning. A master of force lightning and arcane arts, able to life one enemy in the air, stun another all the while attacking with lightsaber moves designed for maximum pain."

So... where are the lightsaber moves for Sorcs Bioware?

Edited by Chemic_al