Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

An in-depth look at: Lightsabers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Lightsabers

Selenial's Avatar


Selenial
12.06.2013 , 11:45 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
Red Lightsaber Crystals can actually stop Jedi Sabers from working, I think.... Pretty sure it's in Jedi vs Sith, essential guide to the force...
Yup, went and double checked, Red Crystals can cause a lightsaber to short circuit apparently...
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
12.06.2013 , 11:47 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
Yup, went and double checked, Red Crystals can cause a lightsaber to short circuit apparently...
Apparently so. Has that ever happened before? I can't recall.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Selenial's Avatar


Selenial
12.06.2013 , 11:48 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Apparently so. Has that ever happened before? I can't recall.
During the battle of Ruusan, yes.
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
12.06.2013 , 11:51 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
Yup, went and double checked, Red Crystals can cause a lightsaber to short circuit apparently...
Certain red synthetic crystals can also cease to function if the user isn't sufficiently steeped in the dark side...

Selenial's Avatar


Selenial
12.06.2013 , 11:52 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Certain red synthetic crystals can also cease to function if the user is sufficiently steeped in the dark side...
Do you mean Isn't? Because i'm pretty sure it said Red Synthetic Crystals need to be imbued with the power of the Dark Side to not shatter and detonate...
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.

Darth_Krushya's Avatar


Darth_Krushya
12.09.2013 , 12:27 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
Do you mean Isn't? Because i'm pretty sure it said Red Synthetic Crystals need to be imbued with the power of the Dark Side to not shatter and detonate...
According to the "Essential Guide To Warfare:" Here is a quote:
"The Sith have traditionally used light sabers that produce red blades, usually made with synthetic crystals. Jedi lore holds that red crystals are less stable than green and blue ones - but have an advantage that offsets this weakness. Whether natural or synthetic, red crystals glow in harmonic vibration when energized by the dark side of the Force and sometimes produce spasms in the arced plasma of the blade that can disrupt another saber's blade. Thus, the very instability of red crystals requires the wielder of a Sith saber to remain attuned to the dark side during combat, both for possible advantage and to keep his or her weapon operating."

I hope that helps.
THE JE'DAII CODE: "There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no fear; there is power. I am the heart of the Force. I am the revealing light of fire. I am the mystery of darkness. In balance with chaos and harmony. Immortal in the Force."

Darth_Krushya's Avatar


Darth_Krushya
12.09.2013 , 12:42 AM | #37
I would also like to point out in my previous comments about what light saber hilts were made of ---

In Obi-Wan Kenobi's fight with Jango Fett, Obi-Wan temperarily lost his light saber. Also in Episode 3, on Utapau, Obi-Wan lost his light saber when the Varactyl he was riding bucked. In both cases, the noise of the light saber hitting the floor/ground made a plastic sound, which leads me to believe that the shell of a light saber hilt, particularly Obi-Wan's could have been made of "Plasteel," a dense polymer that has the toughness of steel or possibly "Durasteel," a light weight, but very strong metal.

I know I mentioned and acknowledged that hilts were made of whatever materials that could be found, but I wished to indicate that, prior to the Jedi purge, while materials were still widely available and plentiful, light saber hilts could have been made of light weight and very durable metals or polymers (plastics). Thank you.
THE JE'DAII CODE: "There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no fear; there is power. I am the heart of the Force. I am the revealing light of fire. I am the mystery of darkness. In balance with chaos and harmony. Immortal in the Force."

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
12.09.2013 , 12:06 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Krushya View Post
I would also like to point out in my previous comments about what light saber hilts were made of ---

In Obi-Wan Kenobi's fight with Jango Fett, Obi-Wan temperarily lost his light saber. Also in Episode 3, on Utapau, Obi-Wan lost his light saber when the Varactyl he was riding bucked. In both cases, the noise of the light saber hitting the floor/ground made a plastic sound, which leads me to believe that the shell of a light saber hilt, particularly Obi-Wan's could have been made of "Plasteel," a dense polymer that has the toughness of steel or possibly "Durasteel," a light weight, but very strong metal.

I know I mentioned and acknowledged that hilts were made of whatever materials that could be found, but I wished to indicate that, prior to the Jedi purge, while materials were still widely available and plentiful, light saber hilts could have been made of light weight and very durable metals or polymers (plastics). Thank you.
Ah, I see.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus