Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: Lightsabers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Lightsabers

Kacynski
12.02.2013 , 10:34 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
So you want to know what the absolute limit of a lightsaber is? I don't think that has been adequately explored in the EU, nor has the limits of Force-imbued weaponry (in the case of Master Baas, if it is him reaching his limit, or his quarterstaff simply collapsing).
Yes, this is the direction I would like to explore.
I think it is interesting how the Lightsabers have been portrayed in the movies. First time we see one in action is when Ben Kenobi is cutting that thug in half in the cantina on Tatooine. Then we see the duel between Ben and Vader. Then we see Han using the Saber to cut that Tauntaun belly and then it is the duels between Luke and Vader (first on Dagobah, then on Bespin). Then we see Luke's saber in action on Jabba's pleasure bark and that's the first time I got a sense of how powerful a weapon it really is.
Then we got the prequels and see some of the Lightsabers potential in cutting and slicing droids, but especially when Qui-Gon cuts through the emergency bulkheads we see the power of it. Later on in TCW we see a lot of cool Lightsaber action and by then we know that the Lightsaber (in the hands of a Jedi) is probably the mightiest personal weapon there is.
But rarely are the limits of this great tool explored and I would like to see some thoughts shared on that. The only theme that comes up from time to time is how helpless a Jedi is without their Lightsaber. Well, not really helpless but it is clearly shown that without their Sabeer they are at an disadvantage.

Aurbere
12.02.2013 , 10:43 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Kacynski View Post
Yes, this is the direction I would like to explore.
I think it is interesting how the Lightsabers have been portrayed in the movies. First time we see one in action is when Ben Kenobi is cutting that thug in half in the cantina on Tatooine. Then we see the duel between Ben and Vader. Then we see Han using the Saber to cut that Tauntaun belly and then it is the duels between Luke and Vader (first on Dagobah, then on Bespin). Then we see Luke's saber in action on Jabba's pleasure bark and that's the first time I got a sense of how powerful a weapon it really is.
Then we got the prequels and see some of the Lightsabers potential in cutting and slicing droids, but especially when Qui-Gon cuts through the emergency bulkheads we see the power of it. Later on in TCW we see a lot of cool Lightsaber action and by then we know that the Lightsaber (in the hands of a Jedi) is probably the mightiest personal weapon there is.
But rarely are the limits of this great tool explored and I would like to see some thoughts shared on that. The only theme that comes up from time to time is how helpless a Jedi is without their Lightsaber. Well, not really helpless but it is clearly shown that without their Sabeer they are at an disadvantage.
Again, this isn't a topic that has been heavily explored, only hinted at. We've seen lightsabers disrupted by certain materials (cortosis, phrik, Mandalorian Iron, Ultrachrome, and certain bones), we've seen lightsabers bend under the pressure of Palpatine's Force lightning.

It's a matter of physics, I suppose, and that's something I can't comment on.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

sell-dog
12.02.2013 , 10:56 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kacynski View Post
What I was talking about earlier is the lightsaber as a mind focus. Maybe I should further explain what I do mean: I always think that the Lightsaber is also a kind of talisman to the Jedi. A thing that helps them concentrate. The familiar feeling of the hilt on the palm, the buzzing sound as it should be ... I think these are all things that help the Jedi to feel comfortable, to reach inner balance so to speak. It's not something physical, nor do I think about it as an emanation of the Force. It's something psychological but yet still very important.
They def do this as well as during Nomi Sunrider's initial training she refuses to use a lightsaber but Thon insists and tells her that a lightsaber will boost her battle mediation. Later she activates one then feels it boosting all her Force Powers. Like people have been saying the Jedi and the saber are an example of mutualism.
"What's the difference between hot and cold doughnuts?"
"The difference is: cold ones I can eat 8, hot ones I can eat 48!"

DariusCalera
12.03.2013 , 12:29 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
My take on the Lightsaber absorbing Lightning is completely a theory, but it makes sense to me...

I believe that it's Tutaminis, and that Tutaminis is acting like a conduit, You can take it into yourself and re-release it, or take it full stop. If you take it and absorb it, it's still painful. I believe this is what Yoda did during his duel with Dooku, he took the Lightning into his hands, and then made the decision to send it back and Kill Dooku, or withdraw, and absorb it. He absorbed it.

He did the Opposite against Sidious.

I believe where the lightsaber comes in, is that absorbing it with a lightsaber does not inflict pain or damage, just gives power to the blade. It's my opinion that in his duel with Dooku, Kenobi used this technique, because he couldnt handle Dooku's power alone, and Sidious' lightning was too much in his duel with Windu, when his sheer power began to overload the blade.
You have to remember what a litghtsaber is, it's plasma contained within a magnetic field. It's that magnetic field that allows it to repel lightning, blaster shots, and other sabers for that matter.

Obi-wan used his blade simply because there is no indication in lore that he knew the Tutaminis technique. So he wasn't using the blade to block to empower the blade, but he did it simply because it was the only measure open to him.

As for Sidious and Mace, you are somewhat right, but once again it was just mechanics. Sidious's lighting was powerful enough that prolonged exposure to it start to short out the magnetic field.

Beniboybling
12.03.2013 , 01:12 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DariusCalera View Post
As for Sidious and Mace, you are somewhat right, but once again it was just mechanics. Sidious's lighting was powerful enough that prolonged exposure to it start to short out the magnetic field.
Windu was using Vaapad to block his lightning, and the book made it quite explicit that it was him who was being overpowered, not his lightsaber's magnetic field.

Noting that lightning has never been shown to short out a lightsaber before.

In short, there is no evidence to support this.

DariusCalera
12.03.2013 , 01:33 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Windu was using Vaapad to block his lightning, and the book made it quite explicit that it was him who was being overpowered, not his lightsaber's magnetic field.

Noting that lightning has never been shown to short out a lightsaber before.

In short, there is no evidence to support this.
He was using Vaapad to redirect the lighting back at Sidious and the saber itself to block it and in the process of doing this, the saber was bending. This shows that the lighting was strong enough to over power the magnetic field since it is that field that keeps the saber straight.

So, if Sidious could have managed to keep out putting that much power and continued to bend the blade, it is very likely that it would have caused the field to short out and the blade to "break".

Beniboybling
12.03.2013 , 01:45 PM | #27
He was using Vaapad to redirect the lighting back at Sidious and the saber itself to block it and in the process of doing this, the saber was bending. This shows that the lighting was strong enough to over power the magnetic field since it is that field that keeps the saber straight.

So, if Sidious could have managed to keep out putting that much power and continued to bend the blade, it is very likely that it would have caused the field to short out and the blade to "break".
When they said bending back, I don't actually think they mean the blade was bending in half (as blades have never been shown to do that) but bending back in the sense it was being pushed back towards his face - reinforced by the fact that he was "choking on ozone" because the blade was too close to him.

Nor do I think it works in that way, if the magnetic field failed or began to fail the lightsaber would just short out, not turn into some wavy plasma whip. And again, when have lightsabers being shorted out by lightning?

I think all in all there is a lot more evidence to suggest a Force-based connection between Jedi and weapon, which allows for the concept of tutanimis given that the blade is an extension of the Jedi himself.

Which also explains why Windu could use Vaapad with his lightsaber in the first place.

EDIT: Kenobi does know tutanimis by the way, and has used it.

Aurbere
12.04.2013 , 06:21 PM | #28
Added to the Index.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Selenial
12.06.2013 , 10:29 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Again, this isn't a topic that has been heavily explored, only hinted at. We've seen lightsabers disrupted by certain materials (cortosis, phrik, Mandalorian Iron, Ultrachrome, and certain bones), we've seen lightsabers bend under the pressure of Palpatine's Force lightning.

It's a matter of physics, I suppose, and that's something I can't comment on.
Red Lightsaber Crystals can actually stop Jedi Sabers from working, I think.... Pretty sure it's in Jedi vs Sith, essential guide to the force...
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.

Selenial
12.06.2013 , 10:30 AM | #30
You have to remember what a litghtsaber is, it's plasma contained within a magnetic field. It's that magnetic field that allows it to repel lightning, blaster shots, and other sabers for that matter.

Obi-wan used his blade simply because there is no indication in lore that he knew the Tutaminis technique. So he wasn't using the blade to block to empower the blade, but he did it simply because it was the only measure open to him.

Obi Wan knew Tutaminis, just throwing a saber up has been shown in many cases to not work, because Lightning has been shown to knock blades out of hands....
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.