Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: Lightsabers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Lightsabers

Beniboybling
12.02.2013 , 06:07 AM | #11
Quote:
The Jedi, carefully manipulating the Force, bound the components together- linking them on something more than a mechanical or material level, so they worked with unimagined efficiency.
Just like to point out the indications of this in terms of Rakata technology, which would likely have been vastly superior to any other non-Force based tech.

But anyway, shameless attempt to resurface old debate over - nice job Aurbere, great to a new in-depth!

Oh and Tenel Ka Djo's lightsaber is probably one of my favorites. So cool.

Beniboybling
12.02.2013 , 06:09 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kacynski View Post
I knew about Cortosis, but I always wondered if there is an in-lore explanation for this. If you can dig up something it would be appreciated.
I believe it creates some kind of disruption which effectively causes the blade to short circuit...

EDIT: Aha here we go:

"I never knew the proper name for the stuff. (...) I gather that if your lightsaber has dimetris circuits anywhere in the activation loop, hitting the rock starts a feedback crash running through the system that takes only a fraction of a second to shut the whole thing down."
―Mara Jade Skywalker commenting on the cortosis ore's lightsaber-disabling property

Selenial
12.02.2013 , 12:48 PM | #13
My take on the Lightsaber absorbing Lightning is completely a theory, but it makes sense to me...

I believe that it's Tutaminis, and that Tutaminis is acting like a conduit, You can take it into yourself and re-release it, or take it full stop. If you take it and absorb it, it's still painful. I believe this is what Yoda did during his duel with Dooku, he took the Lightning into his hands, and then made the decision to send it back and Kill Dooku, or withdraw, and absorb it. He absorbed it.

He did the Opposite against Sidious.

I believe where the lightsaber comes in, is that absorbing it with a lightsaber does not inflict pain or damage, just gives power to the blade. It's my opinion that in his duel with Dooku, Kenobi used this technique, because he couldnt handle Dooku's power alone, and Sidious' lightning was too much in his duel with Windu, when his sheer power began to overload the blade.
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.

LadyKulvax
12.02.2013 , 01:23 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
My take on the Lightsaber absorbing Lightning is completely a theory, but it makes sense to me...

I believe that it's Tutaminis, and that Tutaminis is acting like a conduit, You can take it into yourself and re-release it, or take it full stop. If you take it and absorb it, it's still painful. I believe this is what Yoda did during his duel with Dooku, he took the Lightning into his hands, and then made the decision to send it back and Kill Dooku, or withdraw, and absorb it. He absorbed it.

I believe where the lightsaber comes in, is that absorbing it with a lightsaber does not inflict pain or damage, just gives power to the blade. It's my opinion that in his duel with Dooku, Kenobi used this technique, because he couldnt handle Dooku's power alone, and Sidious' lightning was too much in his duel with Windu, when his sheer power began to overload the blade.
I agree with this.
I am the Battlemaster of the Jedi Order. I've struck you down once already. Today, I'm finishing the job.
Jedi Order

Beniboybling
12.02.2013 , 01:57 PM | #15

Mmmm, that makes some sense. But then again does this mean that the blade itself is somehow imbued with Force energy? Perhaps not considering that Force lightning can charge any object.

There is certainly an element of conduits and such in Windu's style - and Vaapad was apparently what he was using when he blocked Sidious lightining, so I suspect this is the case, makes sense.

It also begs the question of whether it demands some level of action or involvement on the Jedi's part - whether the lightning is drawn to their blade like a lightning rod or whether they actually have to direct it.

Probably the later in that case as well, given that Windu was capable of creating a superconducting loop. Wow this is a pretty interesting topic, would be nice if somebody elaborated on this in the EU...

Aurbere
12.02.2013 , 02:45 PM | #16

That's an interesting theory. And it does make sense.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Kacynski
12.02.2013 , 07:23 PM | #17
Thanks @Beny for digging up the part about Cortosis.

Also good theory on lightning - blocking!

What I was talking about earlier is the lightsaber as a mind focus. Maybe I should further explain what I do mean: I always think that the Lightsaber is also a kind of talisman to the Jedi. A thing that helps them concentrate. The familiar feeling of the hilt on the palm, the buzzing sound as it should be ... I think these are all things that help the Jedi to feel comfortable, to reach inner balance so to speak. It's not something physical, nor do I think about it as an emanation of the Force. It's something psychological but yet still very important.

Also to come back to the question how much a Lightsaber can block:
Yes, a Jedi has enhanced strength and durability due to their connection to the force, but I still think there a physiological limits to what amount of kinetic energy a humanoid body can absorb. I would guess that a Lightsaber can take more than this limit, but is stated somewhere were the physical limits of a Lightsaber are?

And to pick up on another thread of thought from this discussion:
Knowing that the Rakata used force-imbued technology, I think it very likely that Lightsaber technology inherited quite some Rakata tech, but I have to admit I know nothing about it. Is there some hint somewhere this is in fact the case, or is this pure speculation?

Beniboybling
12.02.2013 , 07:26 PM | #18
Does lightning produce a great deal of kinetic energy? Not much. Of course in his duel against Sidious Yoda's lightsaber was literally blasted out of his hand by the sheer force of the attack.

Kacynski
12.02.2013 , 07:58 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Does lightning produce a great deal of kinetic energy? Not much. Of course in his duel against Sidious Yoda's lightsaber was literally blasted out of his hand by the sheer force of the attack.
Well, yes. Lightning does indeed produce kinetic energy (at least lightning in thunder storms does) . Just look at a tree that has been struck by lightning and how far scattered you will find branches and wood pieces.
What happens during lightning strikes is, that the gas atoms are being ionized by the electric field and become charged. This charged particles are then subject to a force that is proportional to the field intensity of the electric field and are accelerated. This flux of charged particles is the carrier of the electric current in the lightning, and as these particles have mass, they indeed carry kinetic energy proportional to their mass and velocity. And as seen by exploding tree trunks, that energy can be substantial. It is literally a plasma shot.

Anyway, I was not referring to lightning when I was talking about kinetic energy, I was talking about deflecting blaster shots, should have made this more clear. I was thinking how much energy the Lightsaber itself could absorb - without taking into account the strength/endurance of the wielder, which I guess is lower than what the Saber can take.

Aurbere
12.02.2013 , 09:53 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Kacynski View Post
Anyway, I was not referring to lightning when I was talking about kinetic energy, I was talking about deflecting blaster shots, should have made this more clear. I was thinking how much energy the Lightsaber itself could absorb - without taking into account the strength/endurance of the wielder, which I guess is lower than what the Saber can take.
So you want to know what the absolute limit of a lightsaber is? I don't think that has been adequately explored in the EU, nor has the limits of Force-imbued weaponry (in the case of Master Baas, if it is him reaching his limit, or his quarterstaff simply collapsing).
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus