What Would SWG2 Do To SWTOR?

Josewales

I for one would drop this game in a heartbeat. Real open world sandboxes and RvR gob gob! Now that the rumor mill has been strong this year in regard to a new Stars MMO, one can't help but imagine what it will do to this game. I predict SWTOR will still survive since many WoW spawns still think the Blizzard model is the only way to MMOs. Therefore end up being a following and no longer a major MMO on the block. Yes MMOs have their shelf life, and BW timed it right and got away with a watered down version of WoW that is based on decent mechanics and 'cash cow' eye candy.

But many smell a new era that lies ahead, where new gen devs have to go back to old skool (pre wow) and make their game unique and their own. I for one have waited since the Diablo LAN nubs changed our genre. It's going to be a long ten years and some before we get back to the golden age of MMOs.

BW is stuck with their poorly coded engine...obviously they can't evolve to compete against and actual Star Wars MMO, their LAN Xbox in disguise has no real future due to it. And the time is now for change!

It's to bad, SWTOR had so much potential. Oh well a couple more years of play until betas takes us away.

Edited by Josewales

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The delusions of grandeur is strong with the OP,

Make google your best friend.. I suggest going for a walk outside this box. Disney and Sony both showing strong interest in revisiting the SWG model and a new MMO for us. One day this game will die and the next Star Wars MMO will step in. And the thoughts of SWG influencing the next one....definetly brings a smile. Sony with it's learned mistakes would be a good head start, before some devs mess up another Star Wars MMO again.

Don't laugh at Noah of bro:). And feel free to explain yourself next time.

Cheers

Make google your best friend.. I suggest going for a walk outside this box. Disney and Sony both showing strong interest in revisiting the SWG model and a new MMO for us. One day this game will die and the next Star Wars MMO will step in. And the thoughts of SWG influencing the next one....definetly brings a smile. Sony with it's learned mistakes would be a good head start, before some devs mess up another Star Wars MMO again.

Cheers

I think it's a little dry, needs more sauce.

In about 6 years, when another SW mmo actually is considered, I imagine there will be some sandbox elements like free placement inside your housing and open world pvp in a realm vs. realm style. But it's not going to bring back what many people think of as SWG such as cantina dancing professions, lack of quests, perma death of Jedi, etc.

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha!

I had to I am sorry bro there is just no way I could read that and not laugh.

one: all sorts of MMO's are coming out of the woodwork lately with features that people claim to be better than ever before and were "their own" mmo's that would supposedly "kill swtor". I remember you yourself OP advocated Wildstar for having cross server at launch and the pvp features. YET, looking at that game, which needs server merges EVEN EARLIER than this game did ( they had to announce transfers within 3 months, I know this game did better than 3 months we had like a decent 5 or 6 until the devs had to announce transfers), I can say "the next big step" in mmo's never is. I mean really, people kept saying dumb comments about ESO and Wildstar "killing SWTOR" and in the end both games experienced shortcomings and well, this game survived. Funny how the game that was supposedly the new haven for "real" pvpers that would "crush swtor" and "destroy the hardcore community" put itself underwater even faster than this game did. I believe it can and will survive, but to say it did better than this game, in the end is just not accurate and shows how great expectations do not mean guaranteed success.

two: Dude, nothing will ever "measure up" to the past. You know why? because we as humans tend to look at the past with fondness and remember the "good old times" for their best moments. They do not want to remember the bad moments. As a result anytime something comes along that is new, its not that perfect image people built up in their heads, so people leave and complain. Such is the everlasting cycle that applies very well to MMO's.

Three: How do you know what the devs of whatever new Star Wars MMO would do? for all you know they could very well make the exact mistakes you don't want. And I mean really for all you know the new Star Wars MMO could be something made for the preteen demographic, knowing Disney they might want a game for that audience since Clone Wars Adventures shut down. Think about it man. Also, Sony CONFIRMED that while their next game is more SWG based its NOT a Star Wars game, and Disney, well, you know very well that could go in the kids direction don't you? Also, doesn't like EA like have exclusive rights for new star wars games for a while? if thats true ( I thought I heard that somewhere could be mistaken though) I mean sure they could negotiate to terminate that early but this game is very profitable for them so its not like it would be easy to convince them to shut down this game ( didn't someone like a few weeks ago find info making this like the 4th highest earning game or something? I thought I read that somewhere).

Anyway, TL; DR yeah get rid of any false hope you may have, keep your expectations low, otherwise you are going to be hurt if they do not turn out like you thought.

Edited by Sangrar

-10/10

Weaksauce troll.

SWGEmu and the others are all the SWG the universe will ever get in the future, and for that, the universe is very thankful.

It's funny how the SWG fanbois just can't accept the reality that their "game" was never really good, and had it not been for the Star Wars skin would have gone down in history as the shortest lived MMO in the history of the genre.

Edited by TravelersWay

I never played SWG. People seem conflicted over whether it was great or horrible. So I'm not sure what to imagine when you say SWG2 is going to roflstomp SWTOR... you must have a really cool idea in mind, no sarcasm, but until a real game comes out that is objectively factually tangibly superior, I'm not gonna get worked up over it.

We all have our fantasies about what can be improved upon. They give some of us hope and they make some of us despair. If you're not happy with this game, I really recommend you leave and try something else.

Cheers

Maybe google would help you learn how Sony have another shot at any Star Wars game anytime soon is a load of bull because Disney gave EA exclusive rights for the foreseeable future

Maybe google would help you learn how Sony have another shot at any Star Wars game anytime soon is a load of bull because Disney gave EA exclusive rights for the foreseeable future

and how Smedley confirmed that the SWG like game they were creating was NOT a Star Wars game.

I for one would drop this game in a heartbeat. Real open world sandboxes and RvR gob gob! Now that the rumor mill has been strong this year in regard to a new Stars MMO, one can't help but imagine what it will do to this game. I predict SWTOR will still survive since many WoW spawns still think the Blizzard model is the only way to MMOs. Therefore end up being a following and no longer a major MMO on the block. Yes MMOs have their shelf life, and BW timed it right and got away with a watered down version of WoW that is based on decent mechanics and 'cash cow' eye candy.

But many smell a new era that lies ahead, where new gen devs have to go back to old skool (pre wow) and make their game unique and their own. I for one have waited since the Diablo LAN nubs changed our genre. It's going to be a long ten years and some before we get back to the golden age of MMOs.

BW is stuck with their poorly coded engine...obviously they can't evolve to compete against and actual Star Wars MMO, their LAN Xbox in disguise has no real future due to it. And the time is now for change!

It's to bad, SWTOR had so much potential. Oh well a couple more years of play until betas takes us away.

To each his or her own, but I thought SWG was a terrible game.

In any case, I'm sure when the next SW MMO launches, this one will be closed.

there fixed it for ya B^)

sorry no that distinction belongs too and probably forever will belong to Realtime worlds with the collossal stinker that is APB: All Points Bulletin that was shutdown after just a little over 60 days.... then relaunched 9 months later as a Pay 2 Win Free 2 Play Game APB:Reloaded

Even if a new SW MMO were being created, do you really think they would use SWG as their model for success? I'm not saying SWG didn't have some good qualities, but the game failed as a whole. SWTOR is doing MUCH better.

depends on what SWG you are talking about.... NGE was garbage and THAT was what failed as a whole, the pre combat upgrade and pre NGE was actually good and successful. Now if we got a good mix of the two preNGE with updated graphics updated combat and work out a good way to do PVP i think it would be an amazing game, especially if they throw in some of the elements they are putting into EQNext

also i wouldn't say TOR is doing MUCH better.

Edited by Edzew