Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we talk about Amplifiers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
Can we talk about Amplifiers?

Darev
08.17.2019 , 11:02 AM | #11
you can empty an armor shell and re-roll the amp for that as well.
It's MUCH cheaper than earpieces/implants/etc
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

Darev
08.17.2019 , 11:06 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
So far this is my opinion too... I have been looking for information on these things. This thread is validating my fear that they're either pointless and a waste of effort, or something that could be substantial and should be considered when they balance content.
The only thing that has changed since my original post is that the amplifiers are possibly the ones going to make it into the game.
The system to get them hasn't changed at all.

Not a fan of it.

It's going to slow all aspects of the game down.

Here's how:

Guild Chat: Let's go do an op!
Player 1: Hang on, have to find my OP armor set with the operations loot amplifiers
Player 2: Hang on, have to find my stuff with my healing bonuses

etc etc

Want to craft more efficiently...have a suit for that too.
Now there is a suit for everything.

Play your way indeed, but at a snail's pace
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

Darev
08.17.2019 , 11:08 AM | #13
OP, you can also update the amplifiers for implants/earpieces/relics.
Put an augment slot on it and you can get to the window that lets you change everything.

Implants have an amplifier I haven't seen before....Legacy Experience (increases legacy experience from all sources)

Hercology
08.17.2019 , 11:18 AM | #14
Man, all of y'all have been spoiled with easy gearing in SW:ToR and it shows. I'm personally glad for a bit of RNG and some interesting ways to gear. Good job Bioware.
Not Herc

Darev
08.17.2019 , 11:20 AM | #15
Also...they aren't active yet.
Got some mods with +presence and the stat on the character sheet never updated.

Darev
08.17.2019 , 11:23 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Hercology View Post
Man, all of y'all have been spoiled with easy gearing in SW:ToR and it shows. I'm personally glad for a bit of RNG and some interesting ways to gear. Good job Bioware.
If the amp was a physical item, like a crystal or tuning, that could be moved from item to item...that would be a better system in my opinion.

Instead, to get the stat you want you need to re-roll it, which is two types of RNG (type of amp and stat/value of amp)...or if you get to grab gear from a vendor somehow, maybe you can keep returning it and rebuying it until you get the desired type/value.

You may be excited about an interesting way to gear.
I'm pessimistic at the sheer amount of RNG involved in your "interesting way to gear"

Mazanator
08.17.2019 , 11:27 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by LEBU View Post
I think we really need an in depth introduction from the devs to how the amplifiers are supposed to work. I mean do we even know if two amps of the same type stack? If they dont stack then most of the Amplifiers will be useless on certain classes and you wont see any difference between having amps or not.
And if they stack you will be able to achieve some serious numbers which are nuts.

For Example lets say I play a Pyro PT (Discipline Dmg is about 90% Techdmg) and without any Amplifiers I do 20k DPS (just an example number, dont know if possible) on the Dummy and Credits are not an issue for me at all.
I use 7 Pieces of the General Set Shells where I gain +5% Dmg when I guard a Player and I roll all Amps to +1.5% Tech Dmg (Tech Wizardry).

Then I have 9 Armorings/Barrel where I also roll all Amps to +1.5% Tech Dmg.

(7+9) x 1.5% = +24% Tech Dmg

24% x 0.9 (Discipline Dmg is about 90% Techdmg) = +21.6% Damage

21.6% + 5% (4 Piece Guard a Player Setbonus) = +26.6% Damage

20 000 DPS (with no Amps) x 1.266 = 25 320 DPS (with Amps)

This is a huge difference in Damage. And when you take into account that the Amplifiers are not factored in when they balance the encounters then all high end content will be a pushover for a full optimized player.

And we havent even utilized the Amplifiers from the Enhancements yet. What I think will be used by most DPS players is the Life Steal Amplifier. They even go as high as 5% Life Steal per Enhancement. This whould mean:

7 x 5% = 35% of all Damage done is returned as healing?

25 320 DPS x 0.35 = 8 862 HPS (this cant be real?)

If you have a raidgroup where all DPS are geared into Life Steal then you will for the most encounters not need a 2nd Healer anymore.
This 100%!!!!!!!!!!!

We need more communication on this because it will change class balance so much, certain specs being able to take advantage of this more than others and will others be compinsated for this?

jambalayabungee
08.17.2019 , 11:36 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by LEBU View Post
I think we really need an in depth introduction from the devs to how the amplifiers are supposed to work. I mean do we even know if two amps of the same type stack? If they dont stack then most of the Amplifiers will be useless on certain classes and you wont see any difference between having amps or not.
And if they stack you will be able to achieve some serious numbers which are nuts.

its possible the % is the chance of an attack getting some Life Steal, not the % of damage returned as heal, which would be less OP ?

Hard to say when we dont have actual info about those. Although they are not officially ready for testing I feel, or they would have written about it?

EDIT: removed external references

Darev
08.17.2019 , 11:37 AM | #19
A few more updates

Mod amplifier: Featherweight - Reduces damage taken from falling.
Power Napping - increases rate of accumulation for rested xp while logged out in a safe area

Enhancement amps: Soothing Haste - Gives caster & target of direct heals a movement speed boost

Folcwar
08.17.2019 , 11:49 AM | #20
Honestly, this is a trash System, - adding DPS, Healing and defensive bonuses, in An RnG mechanic within an RnG mechanic is silly - if developers (or others) insist on keeping this system, keep QoL (crafting, companions (maybe an out of combat speed boost)) ones , Remove everything else, Adding combat benefits to this much RnG is just plain stupid.