Vader vs Revan

IAmYourGod

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was only a matter of time before another of these threads popped up. Sorry, but Vader all the way. It's too bad we lost all the previous threads, there were some good arguments in Vader's favor, though they'll come back up. Simply put, canonically Sidious was the most powerful Sith Lord of all time, and Vader was pretty close to that. He was strong enough to withstand a full blast of force lightning from the Master, and still toss him to his death.

Revan, on the other hand, was absolutely owned by Lord Vitiate (arguably the second most powerful Sith Lord of all time), to the point where an attack from his force lightning pretty much took him out of the fight.

Revan. It would be a closer fight if you're talking Revan vs pre-Mustafar Vader, but Revan's knowledge of the Force is just too great to overcome.

pre-Mustafar Vader was less powerful than OT Vader. This is canon. And while Revan was really good, he was no match for Vader. He would probably give Kenobi a good fight.

Revan had so much ancient knowledge along with an understanding of both the Dark and Light sides of the force. I don't see how vader ever stood a chance before or after Mustafar.

Revan had a lot of knowledge, but so did Vader. Revan had a decent understanding of the dark side, though he wasn't really it's master. He turned, then attacked the Republic, where he got his mind wiped. Vader had thousands of years of Jedi info (from the Jedi Temple), plus was trained by the most powerful Sith Lord ever, who had at least a thousand years of info to go off of, plus any recovered Sith holocrons from the Jedi Temple (which there were rumored to be), plus any other Sith holocrons that any of the Rule of Two Sith uncovered.

Revan was as powerful as any really powerful Jedi Master. Vader was even more powerful than that.

Revan had a lot of knowledge, but so did Vader. Revan had a decent understanding of the dark side, though he wasn't really it's master. He turned, then attacked the Republic, where he got his mind wiped. Vader had thousands of years of Jedi info (from the Jedi Temple), plus was trained by the most powerful Sith Lord ever...

For one: Revan

Lost his knowledge but then regained it after getting his mask back.

and two I don't see where you are assuming palpatine was the strongest Sith lord ever. I would argue that both Exar Kun and the current Old Republic emperor were both much stronger than palpatine due to the

force ritual

You can't rhyme against the Dark Side of the Force, why even bother? So many dudes been with your mom, who even knows if I'm your father? . OPOD

Youtube clap +1.

And damn you for sticking that (epic) song in my head now! :eek:

Edited by Zashima

Well if we want to go on how they were defeated, it took Malik betraying Revan while Vader got sliced up and toasted like a Bagel by Obi-Wan. Revan eventually came back and took out his apprentice who, might I add, was sucking down jedi life force like he was Jabba at an all you can eat slug and slave girl cafe. Vader beat his master when he was old man and went all Dumbledore with self sacrifice (though maybe the wizard went Kenobi, as the movies predate...nevermind)

Although the important point to remember is that we will own both them, because we are THE OLD REPUBLIC!!!! Okay no more caffeine for me :D

Lightsaber Combat: Revan was considered extremely skilled with a lightsaber, and very acrobatic in combat. Vader was also very powerful, but was restricted in movement by his armor.

Giving it to Revan.

Force powers: Revan was said to be exceptionally strong with the force. I'm not comfortable with the whole "Heart of the Force" idea though, since Kreia seems like an unreliable source. Vader was also extremely powerful in the force, but was (or believed himself to be) weakened by his suit.

Giving it to neither. Not enough info.

Intelligence/tactics: Revan won a losing war not only as a powerful Jedi, but as a brilliant and cunning strategist. Anakin was never the sharpest tool in the shed, and his time as a dark lord didn't improve that terribly much.

Point Revan.

I would personally give the fight to Revan.

Well if we want to go on how they were defeated, it took Malik betraying Revan while Vader got sliced up and toasted like a Bagel by Obi-Wan. Revan eventually came back and took out his apprentice who, might I add, was sucking down jedi life force like he was Jabba at an all you can eat slug and slave girl cafe. Vader beat his master when he was old man and went all Dumbledore with self sacrifice (though maybe the wizard went Kenobi, as the movies predate...nevermind)

Although the important point to remember is that we will own both them, because we are THE OLD REPUBLIC!!!! Okay no more caffeine for me :D

Sidious was the most powerful sith lord ever, and Vader just stood there and took his lightning like a man, while grabbing him in one hand and chucking him into a pit.

For one: Revan

Lost his knowledge but then regained it after getting his mask back.

and two I don't see where you are assuming palpatine was the strongest Sith lord ever. I would argue that both Exar Kun and the current Old Republic emperor were both much stronger than palpatine due to the

force ritual

Palpatine was much more powerful than Exar Kun. Palpatine was able to mind wipe trillions of people at once, force drain trillions of people and empower himself, and on top of this unleash force storms that were capable of eliminating starfleets and even planets. This is without the use of Sith Amulets which is what Exar Kun relied upon for a great deal of his power. Even Naga Sadow had to use the meditation sphere as well as special "trinkets" to perform his best feats.

Sidious was capable of everything through his own will. Vitiate is said to also use a lot of artifacts/trinkets to empower himself as well. Which, again, Sidious needed nothing of.

As for credible sources..

“Yoda went after Palpatine in the empty Senate chamber, but could not defeat the most powerful Sith Lord in history.”(The New Essential Chronology, page 84 )

The Emperor had known it would be thus, of course [that the Rebel Alliance would be troublesome]; the resistance had not been a surprise to him. The Emperor was completely in concert with the dark side of the Force. He was the most powerful Sith who had ever existed.” (Death Star, page 76)

“Vader imagined the power that could be his if he crushed Palpatine and established his own rule over the Empire. But first, he would need his own apprentice. By himself, he could not hope to defeat the most powerful Sith Lord the galaxy had ever known.” (Vader: the Ultimate Guide, page 19)

"Palpatine has spent decades studying the most arcane and esoteric Jedi disciplines. It is believed that he has mastered nearly all the known powers, previously unknown powers, and devises new ones at his pleasure"-- The Dark Empire Sourcebook.

“[The Galactic Emperor] had succeeded where all others failed in taming the Dark Side. He would journey across the universe, spreading the shadow of his rule, blotting out the stars themselves, and taking his Dark Rule to other helpless galaxies.”-- The Dark Side Sourcebook.

”Beyond the vision of the Jedi Knights, somewhere within the darkness, the greatest master of evil ever to use Sith power bides his time.”-- The Complete Visual Dictionary.

"The Sith Order, in hiding for a millennium, had awaited the birth of one who was powerful enough to return the Order to prominence. Darth Sidious was the fulfillment of that prophecy, capable of exacting the Sith's revenge on the Jedi for having nearly eradicated the practitioners of the dark side of the Force." -- the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia.

"Only Palpatine has been able to spread his darkness completely and totally over an entire galaxy. What has proven to be the lasting genius of Palpatine as Emperor is his devotion to collecting all the knowledge of the Dark Side that he can, as well as what Light Side information he can corrupt and preserve. He is no more altruistic than any other, but his newfound immortality has given him the patience that all before him have lacked."

All of these sources are just as valid as any novel. Some came from novels. Oh and this came from Leland Chee..

"Inside the spacious interior of the Galactic Senate chambers, Yoda challenged the Emperor. The two entered into a spectacular duel -- a contest between the most powerful practitioners of the Force's light and dark sides. The Emperor proved too powerful to defeat. Though Yoda held his own for much of the duel, in the end, the Sith bested him. He realized that directly confronting the Sith would be doomed to failure. Defeated, Yoda slinked away into the shadows of the Senate chamber's cavernous depths, leaping into a waiting getaway speeder piloted by Bail Organa."

Note that GL said that Vader is 80% as powerful as Sidious. Further note that Galen Marik, channeling the lightning from the pylons, and using it against Vader along with his own power (which was strong enough to incinerate a squadron of storm troopers and even down AT-AT's killing the people inside), could only drop Vader to his knees. These were full prolonged blasts.

Further note for the argument (People survive lightning..) and that's mainly due to how quickly lightning travels. Prolonged exposure to lightning would be.. impossible to survive for any human. Especially considering lightning is as hot as the surface of the sun. Considering that Vader was able to resist that level of lightning and not die? Yeah.. he's pretty resilient.

Am I stating "Vader will roflstomp Revan"? No. Just some things to consider before you call Vader weak. Not to mention he was capable of taking on 8 Jedi, even with a few masters thrown in there at the same time in an ambush or that he has displayed the same force potential as Galen which is.. immense.

Edited by Rhyltran

Palpatine was much more powerful...

...Considering that Vader was able to resist that level of lightning and not die? Yeah.. he's pretty resilient."

I haven't read many of the books, thank you for clarifying. However this does make his death seem fairly pitiful.

Edited by DarkGreenGames

I haven't read many of the books, thank you for clarifying. However this does make his death seem fairly pitiful.

He lived on past his death in the movies. Another thing about Vader. In the Jedi Academy trilogy Luke admits that if Vader really wanted to kill him. He would be dead. Remember, Luke called him out in return of the jedi. He could sense the conflict within him and the main reason he didn't kill him in ESB is because he didn't want to kill him. Vader couldn't use his hate on Luke. He didn't hate him.

The lore surrounding Vader shows that he was quite capable. Some people try to argue "The books just wanted to make him seem stronger!" but Lucas stated himself that he's 80% as powerful as Sidious. So.. yeah. Vader was pretty strong. According to Lucas he could have been 200% as powerful as Sidious if Mustafar didn't happen though.

Vader's resilience as I pointed out in my post is why he was able to chuck Sidious down the reactor.

Edited by Rhyltran

It's just so sad that Sidious didn't just force push vader away, or himself away fromt he shaft. Knowing his power, it just seems pitiful how he couldn't find a way to save himself from such a simple attack as being lifted and thrown down a reactor.

...And by the way, who places a reactor core in their throne room?

Vader, no contest. When it comes to lightsaber combat, while Vader was less mobile he makes up with it in strength, and defense. His style was a modified version of Djem So, the way he designed was to completely balance defense and offense. His arms would swing much harder than a normal humans, one good two handed strike and revan would be underneath vader trying to hold off the onslaught. Lightsaber advantage is Vader.

Strategy, both were generals and most were pretty successful in their missions. This is where they tie.

Force: While Revan had a greater understanding, Vader had better command. You don't see Revan force choking people from across the ship, force edge would be vader.

Feats: Revan's main feat was destroying the star forge, while Vader's was hunting down the remaining jedi order, and leading the assault on the jedi temple. Vader destroyed the next generation of jedi, while revans feat was great, Vader's was more effective in ending the enemy.

Vader wins this match, sorry Revan Fanboys but he is not all you crack him up to be.

It's just so sad that Sidious didn't just force push vader away, or himself away fromt he shaft. Knowing his power, it just seems pitiful how he couldn't find a way to save himself from such a simple attack as being lifted and thrown down a reactor.

...And by the way, who places a reactor core in their throne room?

Well, that was his flaw. His over confidence. Sidious didn't think it was possible. No, not that Vader would betray him but betray him in that manner. That idea that a Sith lord, more importantly, his apprentice would sacrifice himself and lose out on the knowledge/power at his fingertips for some farm boy wannabe Jedi was absurd to him. The force can increase one's strength. Vader's strength was enhanced by the force but not only that his suit gave him even greater strength. The moment he was grabbed Sidious employed his best method of attack.

He amped up his force lightning. Unfortunately, I already pointed out how resilient Vader was and even so it cost his own life. Point being, no one else likely would have been able to do the same thing. In-fact, Sidious in Vader's shoes would have failed too. See, Vader's resistance of force lightning comes from his suit which he upgraded to withstand it specifically to fight against Galen Marek.

That being said, the fact that Sidious knew he'd come back to life also caused him to have his guard dropped. After that event he simply transferred his essence (basically Soul) into the body of a clone of himself. A clone which was in his physical prime. So really no real loss. He came back stronger.

Anakin/Vader is born because of the force (not father he has) so he got some advantage there. And it's not just Vader who tooks up the full lightning blow from 'the most powerful sithlord', apparently (see wookieepedia.com) Revan took up those lightning blows as well from the (previous) sith emperor Vitiate (the one that rules in TOR @ Sith).

I think they are the same in strenght however, I don't see Darth Vader can be agile.

Another theory is that I suspect that Vader is some sort of descendant of Revan. Yes, I know that Anakin was born througout the force but there is something strange going on. Remember that visions in KOTOR? Wasn't there a vision where Revan saw Vader? And if so, does those visions relate quite more often with family or descendants? Revan could see what Anakin/Vader would become..

Though, I'm curious where Mace Windu stands here. He fulfilled the last form of the Lightsaber forms (Vaapad) and DEFEATED Darth Sidious on his own, something Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker had to do together.. Where does he stand?;)

Anakin/Vader is born because of the force (not father he has) so he got some advantage there. And it's not just Vader who tooks up the full lightning blow from 'the most powerful sithlord', apparently (see wookieepedia.com) Revan took up those lightning blows as well from the (previous) sith emperor Vitiate (the one that rules in TOR @ Sith).

I think they are the same in strenght however, I don't see Darth Vader can be agile.

Another theory is that I suspect that Vader is some sort of descendant of Revan. Yes, I know that Anakin was born througout the force but there is something strange going on. Remember that visions in KOTOR? Wasn't there a vision where Revan saw Vader? And if so, does those visions relate quite more often with family or descendants? Revan could see what Anakin/Vader would become..

Though, I'm curious where Mace Windu stands here. He fulfilled the last form of the Lightsaber forms (Vaapad) and DEFEATED Darth Sidious on his own, something Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker had to do together.. Where does he stand?;)

What proof do you have that Vitiate's Force Lightning is as powerful as Sidious? We actually have evidence to actually measure Sidious' force lightning. Windu beat Sidious in the saber duel. He would have lost regardless in the end. When deflecting Sidious force lightning he was about to lose his grip according to the novelization. He couldn't hold it any longer.

Also Sidious returned after the original trilogy far more powerful than before. I don't recall Revan ever having a vision of Vader.

Edited by Rhyltran