Star Wars, The Pokemon Wars: Why so much emphasis on non-companion pets suddenly?

Drakonnen

Gotta catch 'em all!

So, pets were originally kind of a rare thing. You could purchase some, get one with special editions of the game, and there wasn't that much focus on them.

Now it seems like Bioware is putting too much effort and emphasis on them, with pets for Legacy subscribers, special event pets, Unusual Eggs, different colored birds or types of taun tauns and what have you. My question is: Why?

Are pets really very Star Warsy? No. Do they really add anything to the game compared to companions that can already follow you around? No.

I don't recall a single instance in the movies where a character had a non-companionesque pet (i.e. not a person, or droid) trailing around after them all the time. Sure, we all wish Jar Jar was more of a silent pet, who probably should've found himself enslaved, on a shock collar leash, but really he'd just be more like an unattractive Vette than anyway.

It's not like I have anything major against them, other than it seems like the time spent on designing them and the ways you acquire them could be much better spent on other areas and other content, rather than having hundreds of silly little creatures trailing around implausibly after everyone.

Edited by Drakonnen

Let's put it like this:

Super-awesome-way-too-strong-than-normal-stuff from the event? Or a useless pet that follows you and a set of social armor that most classes could wear on themselves or a companion?

It's a virtual "achievement / PS3 trophy." It doesn't do jack, but it reminds you of the event. If you're a completionist, you'll want all of them anyway. I'm kind of happy they went this route instead of something like, say, a really strong "bind on pickup" item that'd be useful your entire leveling career, because I'd feel left out with my low-level alts. How it is now, I have the unique pets and gear on my Jedi Knight, and a Sage who struggled to get it all done but can still use it.

In the movies the Jedi didn't run around slaughtering a planets entire indigenous population either. They put the pets in the game because people like them. Nothing more, nothing less. They're a vanity item, and MMO gamers dig vanity items. If you doubt me, look back a few days to how many people were screaming that they hadn't received their free tauntaun yet.

Gotta catch 'em all!

So, pets were originally kind of a rare thing. You could purchase some, get one with special editions of the game, and there wasn't that much focus on them.

Now it seems like Bioware is putting too much effort and emphasis on them, with pets for Legacy subscribers, special event pets, Unusual Eggs, different colored birds or types of taun tauns and what have you. My question is: Why?

Are pets really very Star Warsy? No. Do they really add anything to the game compared to companions that can already follow you around? No.

I don't recall a single instance in the movies where a character had a non-companionesque pet (i.e. not a person, or droid) trailing around after them all the time. Sure, we all wish Jar Jar was more of a silent pet, who probably should've found himself enslaved, on a shock collar leash, but really he'd just be more like an unattractive Vette than anyway.

It's not like I have anything major against them, other than it seems like the time spent on designing them and the ways you acquire them could be much better spent on other areas and other content, rather than having hundreds of silly little creatures trailing around implausibly after everyone.

See the beauty of game development is you have teams designated for certain portions of the game. So BW had to give the interns something to do hence StarWars pets. At least they arent pooring the amount of dev time and resources into Poke battles like that other game.

In the movies the Jedi didn't run around slaughtering a planets entire indigenous population either. They put the pets in the game because people like them. Nothing more, nothing less. They're a vanity item, and MMO gamers dig vanity items. If you doubt me, look back a few days to how many people were screaming that they hadn't received their free tauntaun yet.

I'm pretty sure the Jedi Order wouldn't allow pets. You might get too attached...

It's a virtual "achievement / PS3 trophy." It doesn't do jack, but it reminds you of the event. If you're a completionist, you'll want all of them anyway. I'm kind of happy they went this route instead of something like, say, a really strong "bind on pickup" item that'd be useful your entire leveling career, because I'd feel left out with my low-level alts. How it is now, I have the unique pets and gear on my Jedi Knight, and a Sage who struggled to get it all done but can still use it.

You mean, other than the two vanity titles and the vanity social armor stuff you could already get...?

Even the crystals were just a different color versions of stat crystals already easily available and just a vanity color item essentially as well.

Because Tauntauns are awesome! They have great accuracy with their spit, can run 90 kilos per hour, wack things with their tails, headbutt with their horns.

Hey, a taun taun mount or companion I could get down with, lol, but a useless pint sized pet? No thanks.

You mean, other than the two vanity titles and the vanity social armor stuff you could already get...?

Even the crystals were just a different color versions of stat crystals already easily available and just a vanity color item essentially as well.

Yup, just a vanity item. The Containment Officer uniform functionally is no different than the Formal Dress or Suit you can get from the Drommund Kaas / Coruscant vendors, the crystals are no different than what you can make other than color, etc. They offer almost no gameplay advantage over other peopel, aside from the crystals, and even those are relatively minor, I'd guess.

Hey, a taun taun mount or companion I could get down with, lol, but a useless pint sized pet? No thanks.

Drakonnen Quote: Because Tauntauns are awesome! They have great accuracy with their spit, can run 90 kilos per hour, wack things with their tails, headbutt with their horns.

Hey, a taun taun mount or companion I could get down with, lol, but a useless pint sized pet? No thanks. End Quote". lol. hehehe.

You know Drakonnen you're right about that. Why in the heck people need a Tauntauns. I remember riding one in Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy. Those animals weren't accorate they missed half the time and no offense to the makers. But they need to stop listen to children who aren't old enough to play. Those people remember playing pokey man and star wars legos.

I feel like the children have gotten a hold of the game and turned into a Disney Land legoland playground.

First it's Star Wars the Pokey Man Wars. Then before it's disrepectful for speaking for having an opinion. What next.

Drakonnen Quote: Because Tauntauns are awesome! They have great accuracy with their spit, can run 90 kilos per hour, wack things with their tails, headbutt with their horns.

Hey, a taun taun mount or companion I could get down with, lol, but a useless pint sized pet? No thanks. End Quote". lol. hehehe.

You know Drakonnen you're right about that. Why in the heck people need a Tauntauns. I remember riding one in Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy. Those animals weren't accorate they missed half the time and no offense to the makers. But they need to stop listen to children who aren't old enough to play. Those people remember playing pokey man and star wars legos.

I feel like the children have gotten a hold of the game and turned into a Disney Land legoland playground.

First it's Star Wars the Pokey Man Wars. Then before it's disrepectful for speaking for having an opinion. What next.

When could you make a tauntaun spit in jedi academy? Don't remember that at all.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi