Utilities

themasterofevil

So far I think some of the utilities are very useful. For instance, I take Phasing Phantasm (gives you 60% inc. damage absorb on force speed) because it helps me get away and hide from players. I'm by far glad that sin/shadow finally has some sort of heal that doesn't require me unstealthing and hitting my channeled ability to regen. I can just pop force cloak, wait for 5 stacks to build up and get a 22k heal which comes in handy a lot. Combine it with the utility that gives 45sec off Cloak and you can have cloak up all the time.

What do you think about the new utilities? :D

I don't think taking Renewing darkness is worth it except in duels. If you've stealthed out, you can afford to go find a medpack or hide away and heal up. 45 seconds off cloak is great, it's a bunch of added survivability and it means you can use it more offensively than you could before. Phasing phantasm is nice on Hatred, I don't think it's worth it on Deception. Deception can really make good use out of Reaper's rush, since it doesn't use assassinate at all until execute (while for Hatred it's usually on CD and also hits for less).

My personal choices for DPS in PvP:

Deception - Avoidance, Electric bindings, Fade, Obfuscation, Shroud of madness, Emersion, Haunted dreams, Reaper's rush.

Hatred - Avoidance, Shapeless spirit, Fade, Obfuscation, Shroud of madness, Emersion, Dysjunction, Phasing phantasm/Insulation.

Can't agree, the immobilize/movement pairing effect has more value with this ability than the 60% absorb...... why because it last for two messily seconds. If you want dmg mitigation.....> retaliatory grip is by far much better. Look our job is overwhelming fire power so the focus should be things that boost dmg to enemy or help facilitate something that provided this effect. Now that being said retaliatory grip allows me to stay up by mitigating 50% dmg for 12 secs a much better bang for your buck. Then invest in Reapers rush a must for dealing with low levels NPCs because virtually unending amounts of assassinate and free 3 stacks of recklessness (prompting another discharge) provided you can dispatch your target in under 10 secs.

I don't think taking Renewing darkness is worth it except in duels. If you've stealthed out, you can afford to go find a medpack or hide away and heal up. 45 seconds off cloak is great, it's a bunch of added survivability and it means you can use it more offensively than you could before. Phasing phantasm is nice on Hatred, I don't think it's worth it on Deception. Deception can really make good use out of Reaper's rush, since it doesn't use assassinate at all until execute (while for Hatred it's usually on CD and also hits for less).

My personal choices for DPS in PvP:

Deception - Avoidance, Electric bindings, Fade, Obfuscation, Shroud of madness, Emersion, Haunted dreams, Reaper's rush.

Hatred - Avoidance, Shapeless spirit, Fade, Obfuscation, Shroud of madness, Emersion, Dysjunction, Phasing phantasm/Insulation.

Fade over audacity not seeing that! i'd much rather have extra recklessness charge! Shroud of madness okay, i can see it if you hunt peeps that dot you other wise dark stability , haunted dreams or even insulation much better alts. I am assuming sense you went Dis-junction your again facing off against peeps that dot....if that applies then i can see it though to limiting for my tastes. Phasing phantasm- waste SO NOT WORTH the investment better off going with retaliatory grip. 12 secs of 50% vs 2 secs of 60% (just saying)

Edited by Kazz_Devlin

First of all (to be clear) this is my PvP choice, not PvE.

Can't agree, the immobilize/movement pairing effect has more value with this ability than the 60% absorb...... why because it last for two messily seconds. If you want dmg mitigation.....> retaliatory grip is by far much better. Look our job is overwhelming fire power so the focus should be things that boost dmg to enemy or help facilitate something that provided this effect. Now that being said retaliatory grip allows me to stay up by mitigating 50% dmg for 12 secs a much better bang for your buck. Then invest in Reapers rush a must for dealing with low levels NPCs because virtually unending amounts of assassinate and free 3 stacks of recklessness (prompting another discharge) provided you can dispatch your target in under 10 secs.

Retaliatory grip is pure offense, since it doesn't mitigate damage. It also relies on you taking damage, if you pop Shroud it won't reflect anything. It's viable for Deception/Darkness (since they're so tanky anyway) but Hatred can't really stand and take any sort of damage.

The root break on Phantom stride is definitely good and another reason for taking that utility, but combined with Dysjunction and Avoidance you get 60% damage absorption for 2.5 seconds out of 15. This is 10% added mitigation on average, or an extra DCD if so you choose to use force speed.

Fade over audacity not seeing that! i'd much rather have extra recklessness charge! Shroud of madness okay, i can see it if you hunt peeps that dot you other wise dark stability , haunted dreams or even insulation much better alts. I am assuming sense you went Dis-junction your again facing off against peeps that dot....if that applies then i can see it though to limiting for my tastes. Phasing phantasm- waste SO NOT WORTH the investment better off going with retaliatory grip. 12 secs of 50% vs 2 secs of 60% (just saying)

Over a 10 minutes warzone, Fade will grant you 8-9 steath-outs, compared to the 4-5 you'll get without it. This adds up to 16-18 recklessness charges compared to 12-15 you'd get with Audacity. Obviously this doesn't really matter unless you're stealthing off cooldown, though. So, the benefits of Fade are more offense and defense (you can stealth out more freely if you're not worried as much about cooldowns). The benefits of Audacity are more straight-up burst and slightly more control (if you stealth out offensively you get 6 recklessness charges, I don't really consider the cooldown reduction on Overload worthwhile on DPS). Since Fade has such a positive effect on every aspect of Deception's play, I consider it better. It's only my choice, though.

I didn't take Haunted dreams very often on Hatred pre-5.0, and I definitely won't now that I have to choose between that and two mandatory utilities for DPS. If it were on the same tier as Fade I'd probably swap, but since they're on different tiers I can't. Audacity is admittedly a decent choice, but I find Hatred to be so squishy I need all the help I can get in staying alive. If I know there are healers and tanks around, I'd definitely take Audacity though.

Dysjunction I take mainly for the increase on Force speed, but the Shroud increase is extremely good too. You get 5 seconds out of a minute + 4 seconds out of 75 seconds (or two minutes without Fade). That's a lot of force/tech resistance.

Already touched on Retaliatory grip.

Edited by Greezt

I might take that on a tank, but not on DPS. Then again, I probably won't be guarding a whole lot as a DPS either.

Considering all the toys sin got and the uptime of the dr from mault(can't remember the name) deception is probably as tanky as darkness. Actually i've seen some post of players wanting to tank brontes with deception :D

Considering all the toys sin got and the uptime of the dr from mault(can't remember the name) deception is probably as tanky as darkness. Actually i've seen some post of players wanting to tank brontes with deception :D

I'll let tanks tank, I'll DPS. Honestly, Deception is pretty boring now... No finesse. I stick to Hatred.