Dear Bioware,Why do you hate the exile?

Vektarulz

I was watching your galactic history videos and you dont even mention Meetra Surik in the Mandlorian war video or the galactic civil war video,in Kotor 2 she accomplishes many things that are extremely significant and i can understand not mentioning any of the events of the book with her and Revan that's fine but why completely shut her out entirely

She saved everyone from Darth Kreia,Sion and Nihilus and played a crucial role in restoring the Jedi order

you put her in the game as a ghost with a few lines but its as if you don't even remember you made Kotor 2

Scourge,who wouldn't exist without the book plays a significant role yet the person that makes him significant doesn't? i mean whats the deal devs? is it because kotor 2 dident sell very well? Honestly i liked 2 better than 1 meetra is a very believable character struggling with what side she should be on it was really brilliant

doing crap like this is like if they remade the Starwars films and left obiwan out

Im prepared for the 1000 troll response's REVAN BETTER,EXILE STUPID,FANBOY ARGUMENT whatever,im just wondering was there a point to leaven her out so much

Edited by Moitteva
Edited out IC/"gay"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the exile belong to a different company?

* It would cost money to license material from another company as-well.

* Then again why bother, if the game is based off more from "kotor1".

* kotor2 lore was pretty much saying "revan is gone to a far away place" for over a 100 times.

I would agree with the excuse that she wasn't BioWare's or indeed Drew's character, but whenever you introduce that character in one of your workings, you should not practically rewrite the character and remove that character's previously established importance in favour of your own works.

There is only one other author who committed Character homicide 101 in the Star Wars EU and we all know her name, she is heckled as well.

YET..they base info off a book,that has the exile and revan in it...so they use that lore meaning they have the rights to it anyway...

They have the rights, but not the muse. If they tried to write for the Exile, it'd just be....wrong. It's like watching Tim Burton makes a Care Bears movie. It's just not them.

They have the rights, but not the muse. If they tried to write for the Exile, it'd just be....wrong. It's like watching Tim Burton makes a Care Bears movie. It's just not them.

Didn't stop them from killing her off to have an excuse to put their baby Revan in this game.

Because she wasn't their character, they didn't make the game so nothing of Kotor 2 is theirs. They may have a few small reference elements in the game, but they can't really use what isn't theirs to begin with.

Carth Onasi and HK-47 are in both Kotor and Kotor II

HK-47 was also in SOE's SWG

Edited by Dokar

Most of the events that happened in KOTOR2 were behind the scenes. The only people in SWTOR who may actually know who Exile was are probably just Revan and Scourge by now.

She had become famous by the end of KotOR 2 in four of the most important worlds in the Republic and rebuilt the Jedi Order itself.

Also, even in their own game she is mentioned as a great Jedi hero by both the Hero of Tython and Lord Scourge himself.

What BioWare stated doesn't match canon.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

YET..they base info off a book,that has the exile and revan in it...so they use that lore meaning they have the rights to it anyway...

Not necessarily. IP is a very complicated legal field. I would guess they don't have direct rights to the Exile, since they never refer to her by her name, or as the Exile, in game, as far as I have seen.

I would say the most similar case I have seen is with Lord of the Rings Online, thye only have rights to use material from The Hobbit and the LOTR Trilogy, so any information that comes from other source material such as Tolkiens letters or the Similarion, cannot be referenced directly. Since LOTRO is such a lore driven game, they get around this by either using vague references, or by "renaming" characters by using a different language version of their name, similar to how Gandalf is called Mithrandir by the Elves.

I would say that within reason they created a lore link, but did so in a way that ensured they weren't legally obligated to the creator.

It's like watching Tim Burton makes a Care Bears movie.

... or a Dark Shadows movie.

I'll be over here grumbling like an elderly person.

On topic, though, I always got the feeling that the Exile's story happened very much in secret. Not necessarily in secret, but just that the galaxy as a whole just didn't care. It was called the Jedi Civil War, after all. It was a conflict between Jedi, and the general populace couldn't care less about it if it didn't affect them. And weren't Sion and Nihilus pretty much just going after Jedi?

I just got the idea playing the game that, unlike Revan and Malak or Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-droma, the trio of Sion, Nihilus and Traya, important as they may be to the story and to the events that happened surrounding that story (such as the Miraluka colony's death), just didn't achieve that notoriety they needed for anyone but the most specialized Jedi historians to take much note of. And most of the Jedi had died by that point.

Edited by JacenHallis

Not necessarily. IP is a very complicated legal field. I would guess they don't have direct rights to the Exile, since they never refer to her by her name, or as the Exile, in game, as far as I have seen.

Scourge and the Jedi Knight refer to her as the Jedi Exile.

Carth Onasi and HK-47 are in both Kotor and Kotor II

HK-47 was also in SOE's SWG

That may be, but you weren't really playing as them in Kotor 2(main character wise) and in SWG....he was a boss. I would assume, that they had to ask if they could use the characters. Doing something out of the blue with a character(Mara Jade) isn't really liked amongst people, and is usually frowned upon especially when the person or group who did such things didn't ask before hand.

Sides this game is more based on Kotor, not the 2nd one. There could be some references sure, but thats about it and in game the Exile isn't referred to by name.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Vandar? you mean that background character you see... what? three or four times?

A YODA character. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a Yoda? Not just a Yoda, but a SECOND one? Lucas does not just anyone who asks a Yoda. You want to add a Twi'lek, go for it. Wookiee, Do what you please. You wanna make Sam Witwer into a Marty sue secret apprentice to Darth Vader and have him found the Rebel Alliance, have three games to do so!

But a Yoda? You may as well be asking your girlfriend for permission to doink her really really really really really really really really really really really REALLY hot sister and her equally hot best friend.

Yodas are not a joke, man. This is serious.

That may be, but you weren't really playing as them in Kotor 2(main character wise) and in SWG....he was a boss. I would assume, that they had to ask if they could use the characters. Doing something out of the blue with a character(Mara Jade) isn't really liked amongst people, and is usually frowned upon especially when the person or group who did such things didn't ask before hand.

It is highly possible that any characters created under LA licence becomes LA's property.

A YODA character. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a Yoda? Not just a Yoda, but a SECOND one? Lucas does not just anyone who asks a Yoda. You want to add a Twi'lek, go for it. Wookiee, Do what you please. You wanna make Sam Witwer into a Marty sue secret apprentice to Darth Vader and have him found the Rebel Alliance, have three games to do so!

But a Yoda? You may as well be asking your girlfriend for permission to doink her really really really really really really really really really really really REALLY hot sister and her equally hot best friend.

Yodas are not a joke, man. This is serious.

Yoda's aren't main characters though, killing off the Exile meant that there was absolutely no way to tell any more stories about her than before KotOR II, but that in of itself has hardly any ground to cover apart from the well detailed Mandalorian Wars.

It is highly possible that any characters created under LA licence becomes LA's property.

Possibly but if someone created a character, and then another author did something to that character without telling them about it there could be some backlash against that author because they did something that didn't fit said character. Now if that other author asked to use, the character in some other different way and the creator of said character said ok then it wouldn't be so bad....I guess its more of a common courtesy thing, asking before doing because who knows.

The creator of said character, could have already had some more ideas to further use the character but then those ideas are all shot because another author used said character making a mess of things without telling the creator of the character.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Possibly but if someone created a character, and then another author did something to that character without telling them about it there could be some backlash against that author because they did something that didn't fit said character. Now if that other author asked to use, the character in some other different way and the creator of said character said ok then it wouldn't be so bad....I guess its more of a common courtesy thing, asking before doing because who knows.

The creator of said character, could have already had some more ideas to further use the character but then those ideas are all shot because another author used said character making a mess of things without telling the creator of the character.

That doesn't preclude LA from owning the rights to all characters created within thier IP...and it is not just characters that an author can mess up but the timelines too if someone (LA) doesn't oversee all work.

Edited by Dokar