Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

BW Does not care about solo/story players?!?!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
BW Does not care about solo/story players?!?!

ivanhedgehog's Avatar


ivanhedgehog
10.06.2017 , 10:33 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
I suppose people these days do not understand words like nuance and gradation anymore. The short version is that if you say you want something to be less white, you are not asking for it to be black.

Aside from that, my view is that it is good to have a little challenge. As I explained I liked the experience much better now that I make sure that my character stays on level. That works for 99% of the content but I find the boss fights still extremely underwhelming.

Of course you guys make the assumption then that I want to make it more difficult for everyone. This is a false assumption. The good thing is that these story bosses are mostly, if not all, instanced. So my only change that I would suggest is a HM version of a list of instanced story bosses with the choice for people to turn that on or off. Defaulted to off of course.

I really don't think it's right that I have to send my companion away or set them to passive AND strip down naked to get challenge out of a Dark Council member. Sorry, that goes too far for me.

I do understand that some people like to roflstomp everything. I do not share that view but I get that some people like that. But my solution won't hurt the roflstompers. For the rest nerfing classes and me making sure I'm never overleveled are enough.

Also my definition of the beginning story is the starter planet. Not the level 1-50 story.
It is very simple. The devs cannot change the difficulty of content just for you. It really is not all about you. Show a little bit of responsibility for your self and edit your own experience to your liking. You are like the guy that goes to the resteraunt and demands that the chef add salt to every dish for all customers because you like salt. You can add it yourself easily, but you insist that the chef give it to everyone because you are too lazy to do it yourself. show a bit of initiative and deal with it.

Tsillah's Avatar


Tsillah
10.06.2017 , 11:17 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
It is very simple. The devs cannot change the difficulty of content just for you. It really is not all about you. Show a little bit of responsibility for your self and edit your own experience to your liking. You are like the guy that goes to the resteraunt and demands that the chef add salt to every dish for all customers because you like salt. You can add it yourself easily, but you insist that the chef give it to everyone because you are too lazy to do it yourself. show a bit of initiative and deal with it.
Did you even read my post?

You are making all this stuff up.

Do you have reading issues or do you just fantasize about what you want me to have said and react to your fantasy instead of to what I actually said?

Because what you are accusing me of is simply false.
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

ivanhedgehog's Avatar


ivanhedgehog
10.06.2017 , 05:52 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Did you even read my post?

You are making all this stuff up.

Do you have reading issues or do you just fantasize about what you want me to have said and react to your fantasy instead of to what I actually said?

Because what you are accusing me of is simply false.
Quote:
I really don't think it's right that I have to send my companion away or set them to passive AND strip down naked to get challenge out of a Dark Council member. Sorry, that goes too far for me.
this is directly from your post. you dont want to have to adjust your play to give yourself the difficulty you require, you want everyone nerfed to accomidate you.

nimmerstil's Avatar


nimmerstil
10.07.2017 , 02:09 AM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by DieAlteHexe View Post
I kind of feel like we're not going to see the likes of the class stories again which, if true, is sad.
We wont, they had their chance with KotFE but failed. Even with the same plot, each character's personality could have been preserved in the dialogues for little extra cost, but they didn't even manage to do that.

nyrkverse's Avatar


nyrkverse
10.07.2017 , 02:16 AM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
this is directly from your post. you dont want to have to adjust your play to give yourself the difficulty you require, you want everyone nerfed to accomidate you.
he said this:
Quote:
Of course you guys make the assumption then that I want to make it more difficult for everyone. This is a false assumption. The good thing is that these story bosses are mostly, if not all, instanced. So my only change that I would suggest is a HM version of a list of instanced story bosses with the choice for people to turn that on or off. Defaulted to off of course.
how is that even remotely "wanting everyone nerfed"?
«I'm not cute. I'm deadly»

Tsillah's Avatar


Tsillah
10.07.2017 , 02:38 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
this is directly from your post. you dont want to have to adjust your play to give yourself the difficulty you require, you want everyone nerfed to accomidate you.
Your conclusion is utterly false, even based on that. But morever you skipped entirely over this part:

So my only change that I would suggest is a HM version of a list of instanced story bosses with the choice for people to turn that on or off. Defaulted to off of course.


You have some serious reading comprehension problems.

My suggestion doesn't affect others negatively and it's a suggestion, not a demand.
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

jstankaroslo's Avatar


jstankaroslo
10.07.2017 , 04:32 AM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Your conclusion is utterly false, even based on that. But morever you skipped entirely over this part:

So my only change that I would suggest is a HM version of a list of instanced story bosses with the choice for people to turn that on or off. Defaulted to off of course.


You have some serious reading comprehension problems.

My suggestion doesn't affect others negatively and it's a suggestion, not a demand.
Back to the topic: it would be great to have an OPTION to pick higher difficulty on end game instanced bosses. That would be a good start.
But IMO all vanilla game needs difficulty adjustment.
In a perfect world, I'd love to see veteran and master mode added to all content. It shouldn't even be that hard to do -they could use the data from before 4.0 for mobs, and nerf the companions to the level they were in one of first patches after 4.0 (the companions were nerfed to reasonable power levels, but that was reverted due to community outrage).
So in veteran mode mobs and bosses would have pre-4.0 strength and hp, and companions would be on the desired post 4.0 strength.
Again: this should be an OPTION for those of us who prefer a bit more gameplay challenge.

Maybe even this should be default mode, with heavily advertised option to turn on easy mode ? I imagine that way the game would be more engaging for newcomers? Just a thought...

psandak's Avatar


psandak
10.07.2017 , 08:07 AM | #118
First let me apologize. I created this thread and then disappeared. I have been keeping up, but this week - long story short - I put in a LOT of extra hours at work and did not have time to respond.

When I made this thread it was due an outrageous statement that the devs don't care about solo/story players now that they are switching focus to group content. It was a pleasant surprise that I was not the only one who thought the statement made was hyperbolic.

Would I like to see a more balanced approach where everyone gets something with every content patch/expansion? Sure I would! As I said in my OP, I enjoy solo play as much as group play. But I am also realistic in my expectations. I know that BWA is WAY understaffed to produce sufficient quantities of everything; the situation all but requires them to produce a bunch of one aspect, then switch gears to work on another.

And IMO this is proven by the "big surprise". This last year of "lack of content" and lots of "back end maintenance" is explained now that we know what the "big surprise" is...They trickled out a little story and little group content while they focused on the technical and logistical issues of server merges. As a realist, I can accept that they poured their limited resources into that project. And now that it is coming to an end they will again shift focus to producing playable content again.

And they did say that the focus would be flashpoints. Meaning that solo/story players will have a path to continue the story as solo players.

Quote: Originally Posted by jstankaroslo View Post
Back to the topic: it would be great to have an OPTION to pick higher difficulty on end game instanced bosses. That would be a good start.
But IMO all vanilla game needs difficulty adjustment.
In a perfect world, I'd love to see veteran and master mode added to all content. It shouldn't even be that hard to do -they could use the data from before 4.0 for mobs, and nerf the companions to the level they were in one of first patches after 4.0 (the companions were nerfed to reasonable power levels, but that was reverted due to community outrage).
So in veteran mode mobs and bosses would have pre-4.0 strength and hp, and companions would be on the desired post 4.0 strength.
Again: this should be an OPTION for those of us who prefer a bit more gameplay challenge.

Maybe even this should be default mode, with heavily advertised option to turn on easy mode ? I imagine that way the game would be more engaging for newcomers? Just a thought...
I agree difficulty modes for the original story would be nice, but it is probably not that simple. KOTFE/ET were designed with difficulty modes in mind; they setup the back end code and flags to deal with it; they instanced almost everything so that one player's difficulty choice would not interfere with someone else. The original stories have no such coding and while there is some instancing it is not nearly as prevalent. My point is that where in FE and ET choices in higher difficulty do not impact choices made in the "story mode", theoretically in original story higher difficulty choices made could alter flags and break the game. Would you be OK if there was another year like this past one to make those modifications?
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

fungihoujo's Avatar


fungihoujo
10.07.2017 , 10:14 AM | #119
You're lumping story and solo play together.

Yes, SWTOR has put more attention into story than any other mmo, it's the main draw of the game and it's to be expected from BW, a company known most for its stories. I'm pretty sure it gets a lot of players back each time it does a big story drop (I certainly come back for those).

During those big story drops you have a chance to get those players involved with group play, so you need to find ways to encourage that naturally. Problem is, solo play really hasn't evolved- the newest dailies are outdated compared to the public quest system that GW2, WoW, FFXIV and even dead, old games like WAR use that merged solo dailies with potential group play.

You have a tedious system for loot (Galactic Command) that turns people off of getting loot- while anything group related has players that are frankly d-bags to anyone who hasn't maxed their gear. Some of us are used to that and can ignore it- but I can see why for solo players that attempt to branch out it is an immediate turn off.

If you can even use the system at all- it doesn't even work for non-subs, who have limited group play anyway. I don't mind the cosmetic crates and certain other parts of your f2p model EA, but putting limits on group play in a game that struggles to provide timely grouping is bad for everyone, yourselves included.

I don't the problem is amount of group content- there's a massive number of current level FPs and Ops in this game considering. You could probably use another mode or two in PvP and GSF; but even there, I think you should consider League of Legends- for the first few years they had only two modes (and even then, everyone stuck to Summoner's Rift) yet it is one of the biggest games out there.

Fun play and some balance go a long way. What I'm saying is- nobody likes arenas, ranked PvP is going to go nowhere. There's a reason it takes 3 hours in the arena queue to not get a match at all, while 30 seconds gets me into the regular WZ matches at any time of day except for like, really late at night.

Add something enjoyable to ranked queues, and link FPs/Ops to solo content to get people interested, and solo play to group content (public quests). Frankly, WoW steals from everyone and perfects it- and their current daily world quest system is the best take on what is really a repetitive, dull grind with how they've done it in Legion- copy them, herd players to certain areas if you want them to play together, players won't just start grouping on their own that's not how it works.

jstankaroslo's Avatar


jstankaroslo
10.07.2017 , 02:24 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post

I agree difficulty modes for the original story would be nice, but it is probably not that simple. KOTFE/ET were designed with difficulty modes in mind; they setup the back end code and flags to deal with it; they instanced almost everything so that one player's difficulty choice would not interfere with someone else. The original stories have no such coding and while there is some instancing it is not nearly as prevalent. My point is that where in FE and ET choices in higher difficulty do not impact choices made in the "story mode", theoretically in original story higher difficulty choices made could alter flags and break the game. Would you be OK if there was another year like this past one to make those modifications?
yeah, this would not be easy. Just saying that I would prefer this over new stories, since new stories aren't that engaging or repeatable.
How about they made separate planetary instances (like now Tython1, Tython2 etc) one for story mode and one for veteran? Changing instances would change difficulty.
Tython1 would be as it is now, Tython2 would be as pre 4.0 with companions nerfed.

I also agree that story player does not have to be solo player