Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

phantom stride, rotational or not?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
phantom stride, rotational or not?

MusicRider's Avatar


MusicRider
09.13.2017 , 01:22 PM | #1
After opening... is phantom stride to be used rotationally or not while in 4m range, given from what I have tested in on gcd? And when reckless up, worth it then?

supertimtaf's Avatar


supertimtaf
09.13.2017 , 01:35 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicRider View Post
After opening... is phantom stride to be used rotationally or not while in 4m range, given from what I have tested in on gcd? And when reckless up, worth it then?
From what I've seen, most peoples use the Reaper's Rush utility in PvE, which allows a big numbers of Phantom Stride on boss fights with a lot of adds (Brontes, Styrak, underlurker...), hence giving you plenty of Discharge to use.
Also with this utility you can use your assassinate on your target without any health restriction (In Deception, Assassinate cost only 10 Force while dealing quite decent damage. Great for Force Management and fluid rotation).

So yeah, you want to use Phantom Stride when it's available to proc your discharge, even if you're in melee range. Priority order is still Recklessness > Phantom Stride because of the auto-crit bonus, who will apply to 2 Discharge instead of one. This also count with your opening.

The point with P.S. is that it isn't on GCD, allowing you to use it quickly without any dps loss. It's a free Discharge, so I don't see why you shouldn't be using it. Just be carefull on the final phase of Revan, with the machine core because P.S. will actually teleport you back by a few meters, outside of the damage circle.
Eliadil - Darkness Assassin Darth Malgus

Feel free to use my referal link if you liked my help ! Free stuff for you and me !

MusicRider's Avatar


MusicRider
09.13.2017 , 02:13 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by supertimtaf View Post
From what I've seen, most peoples use the Reaper's Rush utility in PvE, which allows a big numbers of Phantom Stride on boss fights with a lot of adds (Brontes, Styrak, underlurker...), hence giving you plenty of Discharge to use.
Also with this utility you can use your assassinate on your target without any health restriction (In Deception, Assassinate cost only 10 Force while dealing quite decent damage. Great for Force Management and fluid rotation).

So yeah, you want to use Phantom Stride when it's available to proc your discharge, even if you're in melee range. Priority order is still Recklessness > Phantom Stride because of the auto-crit bonus, who will apply to 2 Discharge instead of one. This also count with your opening.
Thanks and yes ofc with reck before stride, thats the reason I was mentioning it. At the moment it makes perfect sense in the opening, reck>discharge at 10m>stride to close gap and dischage again but at melee range wasn;t sure given that.... on your next point.

Quote:
The point with P.S. is that it isn't on GCD, allowing you to use it quickly without any dps loss. It's a free Discharge, so I don't see why you shouldn't be using it. Just be carefull on the final phase of Revan, with the machine core because P.S. will actually teleport you back by a few meters, outside of the damage circle.
Are you sure PS is not on gcd? When I use it, abilities refresh with gcd. If it is not then absolutely, wouldn't even ask but from what I have seen on my assasin it seems to be on gcd.

supertimtaf's Avatar


supertimtaf
09.13.2017 , 02:28 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicRider View Post

Are you sure PS is not on gcd? When I use it, abilities refresh with gcd. If it is not then absolutely, wouldn't even ask but from what I have seen on my assasin it seems to be on gcd.
Yep, I'm sure of it, so does Holotraverse for the operative. These are two ability out of GCD. Try it again, without touching anything else. Or spam Lacerate (it triggers the gcd, allowing you to see which ability is affected by it or not)

Quote: Originally Posted by MusicRider View Post
Thanks and yes ofc with reck before stride, thats the reason I was mentioning it. At the moment it makes perfect sense in the opening, reck>discharge at 10m>stride to close gap and dischage again but at melee range wasn;t sure given that
Well, the point of a dps is to deal the most damage possible.
The thing with P.S. is that it won't makes your next discharge an auto-crit.
Recklessness on the other hand makes the 2 next force ability an auto-crit.
So instead of having [P.S. -> Discharge (9k) -> Reck -> Discharge (20k)] you're having [Reck -> Discharge (20k) -> P.S. -> Discharge (20k)]

Also, the cooldown on P.S. is 30sec, the cooldown on recklessness is a bit bigger than 1min, even with set bonus. This allow you to use 1 recklessness every two phantom stride (excluding Force Cloak to make it reset, which is mandatory on every boss fight)
Eliadil - Darkness Assassin Darth Malgus

Feel free to use my referal link if you liked my help ! Free stuff for you and me !

savagedialects's Avatar


savagedialects
09.22.2017 , 10:19 PM | #5
It is simply because it procs other abilities. It's amazing for deception and pretty decent for hatred
It is not enough for me to succeed -- others should fail