Why I quit (parked) my PVP Commando and Merc

Thermisticles

Hi guys,

I'm shamelessly writing this post in part to vent, and in part, to communicate a message that i suspect many people on these forums already know.

My love for ranged casters (commando, Merc, Sorcerer and Sage) seemed a perfect match for my love of pvp.

But time has not been kind. Time and time again, I am simply outmatched by 'stealth' classes, the operative and assassins. When I can die in 4 hits whilst stunned for 90% of the time,..for months on end, one comes to ask,.. "Is this fun?"

Sadly, my answer is no. I'm paying a subscription to feel miserable in my free time.

Don't get me wrong, I like a close fight. For example, Marauders are fun to tangle with, as are DPS tanks, and even the odd sorceror or powertech.

But if there is stealth, then 90% of the time, I'm going to die. And when I win, half the time they stealth and get out of dodge (only to come back when I'm at half health or the like).

All fair in love and war,..but I have parked my Merc and commando, because the issue to me isn't skill level or tactical per say, it boils down to 1 stun break and then you're toast.

I love electronet (which I believe is a great solution), but give it a 15 second cool-down, or buff the armor v's back-stabs,..or constant stealth scans/detection,..something, anything.

Anywho, I'll park these toons for 6 months until i see significant buffs v's stealth. No point playing it, if it's not fun.

By the way, gear wise, full augmented, and half decked out with eliminator (162) gear),..the rest 156.

Thanks for ready and sharing my pain.

Cheers

Themisticles

Edited by Thermisticles

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think no class should have an advantage against yours?

A strength, yes, of course.

An outright, beast mode, stun lock , 4 hit and you're dead ability,..well, you might like that,..but I'm not wasting time and cash on being 'owned'. It's pointless.

Not fun.

I just want a 50-50 chance of winning. Is that too much to ask?

Edited by Thermisticles

A strength, yes, of course.

An outright, beast mode, stun lock , 4 hit and you're dead ability,..well, you might like that,..but I'm not wasting time and cash on being 'owned'. It's pointless.

Not fun.

I just want a 50-50 chance of winning. Is that too much to ask?

Well first of all the senario you outlined is impossible if you are as geared as you say. There is no way 1 assassin can "stun lock" you or kill you in 4 hits. Unless you don't have a cc break or blew it on the knockdown. You should be able to pull out your shield, kolto overload, or even rocket boost.

Secondly a 50-50 chance would be a situation where the opponent DOESN'T have an advantage over you.

You should get beat by assassin of a comparable skill level, but you should be able to hold out long enough for help to get to you.

Edited by TezMoney

Well first of all the senario you outlined is impossible if you are as geared as you say. There is no way 1 assassin can "stun lock" you or kill you in 4 hits. Unless you don't have a cc break or blew it on the knockdown. You should be able to pull out your shield, kolto overload, or even rocket boost.

Secondly a 50-50 chance would be a situation where the opponent DOESN'T have an advantage over you.

You should get beat by assassin of a comparable skill level, but you should be able to hold out long enough for help to get to you.

There is also a pushback and a slow a cc and a speedrun besides heavy armor, if anything mercs/commandos have advantages over other classes when being attacked by an assasin/shadow or op/scoundrel

in arenas ur target number one and sadly ur defensive cds are garbage. Without any anti focus fire ability or ability to shoot charged bolts/power shot on the move /mandos/mercs will be easy targets. Devs overvalue the useless heavy armor, which does nothing in a wz, where bolstered medium armor gives just about 1% dmg reduction less, is it a joke? :D Edited by szczypaczek

I love electronet (which I believe is a great solution), but give it a 15 second cool-down, or buff the armor v's back-stabs,..or constant stealth scans/detection,..something, anything.

*falls out of chair*

Edited by JackNader

Good players figure out how the messed up and then adapt.

Good players switch to ranged and then hide behind the rest of their team so that everyone else eats their stun locks. Shortly thereafter, they come to the forums, wave their hands and state, "There is no stun locks! There is only the Learn to play!"

Commandos and Mercs are probably the weakest out of the 3 ranged DPS classes in terms of handling melee/stealth characters. The best ranged class to handle melee is probably Sniper. Sniper gets immunity to Powertech grapples and Warrior leaps, it also has a knockback tied to a root, and then another root on top of a short-CD stun, instant mezz, and instant repositioning. It also gets several defensive skills which make it pretty resilient to damage.

Probably the biggest point is that they are immune to interrupts in cover...this alone makes them a bit better in PVP than Sorcs and Mercs who are channel/cast reliant no matter spec you play.

One unfortunate thing about Snipers is that their stealth detection in cover is actually hard to use. Assassins have Blackout and Operatives have their Sneak so it's very easy for them to close the distance unseen unless the Sniper has been sitting there for a very long time. Still...they have great tools for handling melee and immunity to interrupts. They may not parse the highest damage, but against good players, they are probably the most effective ranged dps class.

It's probably not what you want to hear. Is it fair that Mercs can't do what Snipers can? Probably not..but that's the sad truth of it until the developers fix the vulnerability of casting/channeling classes.

Edited by FinalArbiter

Good players switch to ranged and then hide behind the rest of their team so that everyone else eats their stun locks. Shortly thereafter, they come to the forums, wave their hands and state, "There is no stun locks! There is only the Learn to play!"

The OP is a ranged class talking about a 1 on 1 scenario. If you get stunlocked it is 100% a L2P issue.

Hi guys,

But if there is stealth, then 90% of the time, I'm going to die. And when I win, half the time they stealth and get out of dodge (only to come back when I'm at half health or the like).

Exactly, so why you go for a stealther?

As a Mercommando you should avoid normal 1v1, except your are a crit luck monster. Most other classes / specs have better burst and / or tools then you.

Against stealther...... why the hell you go against stealther in 1vs1? Don't do it. As Mercommando you should not defend, because only 1 scoundrel can stun / mezz you to loose.

Short:

If a shadow is behind you ----> RUN, try to mezz him (beware of his cc immunity^^), RUN, then hopefully he lost interest in you ;)

If a scoundrel is behind you, it depends on his spec, he is beatable, but because of his battle vanish it can more frustating then it is worth to try.

Not saying that this is an balance issue, it is, but it was so at least since 2.0 (before i don't play mercommandos in pvp since 1.2) and as it seems with bioware, it will be the case to the end.

My 3 mains are a Shadow, Scoundrel and Commando. I really enjoy all 3 classes equally and have no issue on my Commando in a 1v1 against any other class (of equal skill) besides Guardian/Juggernaut.

Do you spec into Decoy? A well timed Diversion (Force Breach/Project or Back Blast/Sucker Punch) along with all your many, many utilities will go a long way to winning fights against any class.

Meh

Mercenary is the only class in this game where playing either of the DPS specs as the tree suggests will lead to you getting your *** beat down in PvP.

If you want to actually do well with Merc you have to forget about hard casting and adopt a mobile rotation. Remember the initial core bounty hunter ability priority -> rail shot -> rocket punch -> explosive dart -> missile blast -> pew pew. Use whatever ability your spec has that still allows you to be mobile. You only ever hard cast if you are not being focused or are in a position where you cannot be interrupted.

The first thing you should think about when focused is putting distance between you and your target (melee) or LOS strafing (ranged.) Switch to your tree rotation's core hard casted damage abilities when you are left alone. The rest is basically decided by how well you can kite / use your DCD's. Regardless, doing all of the above should result in you not getting rolled by any class.

Edited by JackNader

Sorry dude im not talking about 1v1 scenario, im talking about arenas, where merc is always the first target to kill for ppl who have half of their brain. I pretty much stoped playing casue of zero changes to merc in the last year, there are some chnages, that are going in good direction. Like no interruptos while shiled is active or low cd for tech override/ power surge. But still merc isnt mobile, if you have to do dmg you need to cast!

I see two things to solve this:

1) Assault should have a talent hight in skill tree, that allowes you to cast power shot on the move.

2) a good anti focus ability that helps you survive, all of merc/mando abilities are garbage in terms of anti focus right now. Shield and Adrenaline rush helps you last one second more under heavy focus fire.

Thats my two cents

Mercenary is the only class in this game where playing either of the DPS specs as the tree suggests will lead to you getting your *** beat down in PvP.

If you want to actually do well with Merc you have to forget about hard casting and adopt a mobile rotation. Remember the initial core bounty hunter ability priority -> rail shot -> rocket punch -> explosive dart -> missile blast -> pew pew. Use whatever ability your spec has that still allows you to be mobile. You only ever hard cast if you are not being focused or are in a position where you cannot be interrupted.

The first thing you should think about when focused is putting distance between you and your target (melee) or LOS strafing (ranged.) Switch to your tree rotation's core hard casted damage abilities when you are left alone. The rest is basically decided by how well you can kite / use your DCD's. Regardless, doing all of the above should result in you not getting rolled by any class.

Jack be tellin' da truth, mon!

You got some range: use it -> assasins can suck it if they are slowed and between 9 and 30m most of the time. Operatives become... funny. The overrides are there and on a ridiculously low cd for a reason. On top of that you get all your funny little tricks and toys, not just a pve 'rotation'. You WILL need to use all your wits to win against better than average players. Especially if they get the easymode "stealth" -> pick IF you want to fight, WHEN and WHO. That is huge.

All it comes down to: Use Range and LOS. You NEED to. And once that is down, you really get a permanent 75% damage reduction from all melee. ;)

Sorry dude im not talking about 1v1 scenario, im talking about arenas...

2) a good anti focus ability that helps you survive, all of merc/mando abilities are garbage in terms of anti focus right now. Shield and Adrenaline rush helps you last one second more under heavy focus fire.

Oh... Well, the anti-focus ability you SHOULD and MUST use is: Your team. They SHOULD help.

Also: Survive stun -> RUN! You are the unstoppable one that can actually get away from all that heat!

Edited by chillshock