Which class has (in your opinion) overall the best and which the worst companions?

Path-x

I think Sith Warrior has by far the most interesting companions. Well although I disliked her anti-imperial stance, I sort of loved Vette's personality and storyline. Since I am more of a "military type" I also liked Quinn. Pierce is a perfect counterpart for Quinn. Well you probably know that I really like Jaessa :). Broonmark is okay too.

Despite the fact that (in my opinion) Imperial Agent has probably the best storyline, I have to say it has the worst companions. You probably know by now how much I hate Kaliyo so I will just move on. Vector and the whole bug thing completely turned me off. Well to be honest I haven't spent much time on Lokin since he immediately seemed uninteresting. Temple is kinda okay. And the droid is just weird. You just can't like someone who doesn't liek you and is trying to kill you.

Edited by Path-x

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bounty hunter crew is pretty good with some outstanding members (Blizz is fabulous) and one major ick (Skadge). Mako can get a bit irritating although she ROCKS the heals, Gault is amusing, and Torian's a little bland, but overall they're pretty good.

I adore the trooper crew. They make sense as a team, and given that you're playing a non-Force user it makes sense that Havoc Squad as a whole is a big part of why you win. They all have a reason for being there, and I even like Tanno Vik although we don't agree on much (except blowing things up, we both love that). 4X is hilarious and over-the-top. Yuan is strange, but effective. Elara heals like a pro. And then there's Jorgan. Plus they're easy as pie to gear. As a group, this one is the best, in my admittedly limited experience.

I don't have all the companions on my other toons so it's harder to say.

The worst companion of all companions that I've encountered so far is Skadge, without a doubt. I know there are a few people who love him, but for me, he's it.

The best companion....hm....that one's a little harder. I mean I love Jorgan for his personality, voice, and his assault cannon :D but Blizz is so much fun and I just want to say "you're sooo cute" every time I have him out. I'm going to have to go with Jorgan because he's actually useful as well as scrumptious, and Blizz although I adore him is just not as helpful in a fight (even though he tries REALLY hard).

Played Knight, Smuggler, Agent, Warrior.

Best: Wow, tossup between Knight and Agent. A wide spread of vivid personalities. Agent wins for sheer awesomeness of concepts:

a psycho mercenary, a highly educated infested Terran, a friendly scheming were-rakghoul, the world's most puppyish soldier, and The Evil AI.

The Knight's first three companions have an incredible warmth and liveliness, and Lord Scourge is awesomeness incarnate.

Worst: Smuggler, easily. I know we get Chewie (there is, after all, only one Wookiee in all of history) and I know we get a funny variant on Leia, but...the recruitments are forced and the individuals mostly vanilla. They consistently get better as you go, but Guss came too late to save this crew. I mean, come on:

"I don't understand, Captain. Are we not saving the puppies?" x1000, "I WAS A SLAAAAAAVE" x10? Yuck.

The Warrior is interesting. Quinn and Pierce are fantastic foils for each other and I like their interaction more than any other companion dynamic in the game. Jaesa's LS/DS deal is an incredibly cool concept. I can't say the whole crew is anywhere near best or worst, but there are some really daring ideas in there.

Edited by bright_ephemera
typo

I think in my playing so far the only interesting/cool companion on the Republic side was T7 - I have a love of droids and T7 = hero!! Other than that, bad. The pirate was also decent.

On the Imperial side, yeah, so far the Sith warrior companions are as good as it gets. The Agent storyline may be fantastic, but the companions are weird and feel like they were thrown in there fairly randomly, aside from Kaliyo, who's not the most likable person ever. But the Sith Inquisitor's companions - starting with a monster that wants to eat you - is neck and neck for equally mediocre travel companions, although I'd give the edge to the Agent's writers because the companions there are creative, even if they don't seem like a good fit for your character or story and come especially late in the game.

All in all, BW really should've done more to round out the personalities on these companions, they should be introduced much earlier in the story than they are, and they should all play more of a role in the main story than they do - or at least provide some sort of amusement factor in between grinding sidequests. I think not being able to talk to your companions out in the field is a mistake as far as the game design goes.

So yeah, best class companions may be Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight. Worst would be Jedi consular, hands-down, because really everything about the consular is the worst in this game.

Edited by jgelling

Having played a trooper to 24, knight to 25, sith warrior and inquisitor both to 50, a bounty hunter to 29 and an agent and smggler both to 10 here is my top 5, and bottom 5

top 5

1: M1-4x: Who doesnt want a robot that is a ****** klling machine

2: Dark Jaesa: A bit over the top at times but she if a very well done character

3: Aric Jorgan: The reason he is so well done is because I legitimately hate him, him tearing me apart prior to level 10 has not been forgiven

4: Khem Val: The incidents after act 1 have made hima very weird character, but likeable

5: Kira Carsen: Easily likeable with her laid back attitude, the opposite to Jaesa which provides a nice flip.

bottom 5

1: Kaliyo: Immediately hated her, the model, the voice... everything about her I dislike

2: Gault: By the stars...... **** off kindly please

3: Quinn: Prior to act 3 he was average, after the incident I have hated him since

4: Torien Cadera: I play swtor to get away from my kids, I dont want one as my companion

5: Xalek: Came along too late in the SI story to get any reasonable background for him, for that he gets to be the best of the worst.

agent's crew compliments the struggles agent faces

kaliyo: i do what i effin want, screw you all, you're not the boss of me

vector: we serve the masses, solutions can be found peacefully

lokin: self enlightenment. the veteran agent. you shouldn't trust him, and he's okay with that. * as quoted from "The Last Unicorn" * " You may come and go as you please. My secrets guard themselves. Will yours do the same?"

temple: wait, we have to make our own decisions?! wheres an adult to hold my hand ? ; ;

scorpio: feel no remorse. feel no pity. evolve.

It's hard to say who has the best overall... but playing a lot of the BH story and more recently the SW, I really like how with those classes the companions seem to interact more, and are more tied together than as a unit - a feeling I didn't get from my Agent, Consular, or even Trooper.

Example: I just picked up Pierce on my Marauder, and right away you see him and Quinn are like oil and water. It was well written. When I picked up Tanno Vik, I had Jorgan out with me through the whole chase on Balmorra up to Vik's official recruitment, and Jorgan (as I remember) had basically no comment until the very end. And even then it was pretty mild and only addressed to me... seeing Jorgan (or whoever you made XO) get in Vik's face would've been way better.

So yeah, I see companion's interact in cutscenes and I'm entertained and my opinion of their characters goes up.

I love the agent companions. There is not a one I would wish off my ship. They're interesting to me, even Temple, who annoys the hell out of me with her rigid pro-Imperial stance. I will say that it is kind of like running a floating insane asylum, though - no one on my agent's crew is quite right, including her.

The bounty hunter crew is all pretty good at being who they are. Even Skadge, for whom I have a deep and burning hatred is good at being a nasty, predatory, psychopath. I find Mako annoying, but not as much as Temple or Vette.

The Smuggler companions are all kind of boring to me.

The SI companions are also kind of meh, except for Khem and the sweet little archaeologist, both of whom I adore.

Quinn is fun to play with, like a mouse to my SW's cat, and I find Vette extremely annoying. They are really the only SW companions I have interacted with personally, at least. I like Pierce, but my SW doesn't have him yet, so I can't really give an informed opinion.

The BH wins both.

Mako and Torian are two of the best companions in the game, and the rest are completely useless.

That's not to say they are annoying or uninteresting. Each of them had a great place in what I think is the greatest storyline in the game.

The best set of companions on the whole are the inquisitors', as I constantly mixed and matched them for the situation.

I love the agent companions. There is not a one I would wish off my ship. They're interesting to me, even Temple, who annoys the hell out of me with her rigid pro-Imperial stance. I will say that it is kind of like running a floating insane asylum, though - no one on my agent's crew is quite right, including her.

Hah hah hah. I love that about the agent companions, too. ;)

I also like the trooper companions, although the ship seriously feels like a pep rally. I so need Tanno Vik to break up the "For the Republic!" battle cry that I'm fairly sure appears every freaking time I talk to Garza. I genuinely like them all (Forex cracks me up, I seriously want to know Elara IRL, and I genuinely like Aric). But...seriously. There is so much Republic pride going on that I find myself rolling my eyes at it half the time.

For worst, I nominate counselor. Let's see...we have:

1. A scary lizard who talks in some weird rambly monotone that is totally incomprehensible without subtitles. His culture is sort of cool, but I'm also a bit like, "Oh, come on. So you were kidnapped and now YOUR LIFE IS OVER FOREVER AND EVER?" Get with it, evil emo lizard.

2. A man with an incredibly grating voice who has a creepy, co-dependent relationship with his perfect woman. Who, um, isn't a real woman, just something he programmed. To top it off, he's intolerably smarmy and intolerably arrogant.

3. Okay, so Zenith is pretty cool. Not going to badmouth him.

4. A guy who, while not bad, is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

5. A needy, whiny teen who, if you romance her, forms a co-dependent force bond (with you, her teacher), writes ghastly poetry in what I'm fairly sure is a Trapper Keeper, and basically gives me the creeps. (It's a bit like watching Will Scheuster on Glee hit on Rachel Barry and both of them lapping it up. Just...ewwww...)

It's honestly like the cast of horrors. I'm seriously hoping that the writers were *intending* for it to be that bad, because otherwise...IDEK.

1. A scary lizard who talks in some weird rambly monotone that is totally incomprehensible without subtitles. His culture is sort of cool, but I'm also a bit like, "Oh, come on. So you were kidnapped and now YOUR LIFE IS OVER FOREVER AND EVER?" Get with it, evil emo lizard.

Thank you, forever and always now, Qyzen will be emo lizard to me. Too funny!

2. A man with an incredibly grating voice who has a creepy, co-dependent relationship with his perfect woman. Who, um, isn't a real woman, just something he programmed. To top it off, he's intolerably smarmy and intolerably arrogant.

3. Okay, so Zenith is pretty cool. Not going to badmouth him.

4. A guy who, while not bad, is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

5. A needy, whiny teen who, if you romance her, forms a co-dependent force bond (with you, her teacher), writes ghastly poetry in what I'm fairly sure is a Trapper Keeper, and basically gives me the creeps. (It's a bit like watching Will Scheuster on Glee hit on Rachel Barry and both of them lapping it up. Just...ewwww...)

It's honestly like the cast of horrors. I'm seriously hoping that the writers were *intending* for it to be that bad, because otherwise...IDEK.

Ha! Your description of Nadia is...is...maybe I won't level my consular after all, because that sounds hilarious in a "I don't actually want to spend time on it" kind of way.

Tell me, does Tharan Cedrax do as much transparent meta-commentary on players' relationships with their NPCs as he has the potential for? Because it seems like the perfect setup for it...

As for #1, can I trade you for the Wookiee? Conversation 1: I WAS A SLAVE. 2: I WAS A SLAVE. 3: I WAS A SLAVE. 4: I hate Trandoshans, also I WAS A SLAVE.

Ha! Your description of Nadia is...is...maybe I won't level my consular after all, because that sounds hilarious in a "I don't actually want to spend time on it" kind of way.

Tell me, does Tharan Cedrax do as much transparent meta-commentary on players' relationships with their NPCs as he has the potential for? Because it seems like the perfect setup for it...

As for #1, can I trade you for the Wookiee? Conversation 1: I WAS A SLAVE. 2: I WAS A SLAVE. 3: I WAS A SLAVE. 4: I hate Trandoshans, also I WAS A SLAVE.

Tharan, unfortunately, does not. Although that might actually differ if you try to romance him, from what I have heard; I will wait for someone else to chime in.

Qyzen is a great companion if you are at all interested in looking at things from another perspective. His culture is very, very different to our own, and at least in my opinion, trying to see the world how he sees it is pretty interesting.

He is also the only companion who continuously treats me with respect and likes me for my achievements outside of being a Jedi, so there's that.

I'd have to say that either Jedi Knight or Smuggler has the best companions.

As for the worst? Either the Bounty Hunter or the Imperial Agent.

Why? Well I really like Kira and the crazy Zabrak.

As for the latter, I really find the BH's companions to be dull, and I HATE Kaliyo. If killing Kaliyo was an option I would take it 100% of the time. I'd reroll just to kill Kaliyo.

I'd have to say that either Jedi Knight or Smuggler has the best companions.

As for the worst? Either the Bounty Hunter or the Imperial Agent.

Why? Well I really like Kira and the crazy Zabrak.

As for the latter, I really find the BH's companions to be dull, and I HATE Kaliyo. If killing Kaliyo was an option I would take it 100% of the time. I'd reroll just to kill Kaliyo.

im unlocking sith pureblood so i can slap her silly

It's funny, when I first heard we'd get companions and who got what, etc, I was a little 'meh' about it. Then I leveled a bunch of them, got my companions, and even though their are a fair few that I wish I could vaporize, my characters need and love each member of their crew/their spouses.

The agent companions, you could not look for a more weird bunch of out of place people to be your crew. You have Kaliyo, who is antisocial and a massive liar, but won't leave you cause she likes you for her own reasons. Vector, who is a diplomat and a joiner who's main family before you were insects, but when he becomes your husband, would rather stay with you than go back. Doctor Lokin who you KNOW is up to something he shouldn't be, but without him you wouldn't have found out more about Vector's back story. Ensign Temple who wants so much to be an agent like you, but is also loyal to the Empire (which is weird because my Agent basically said 'screw you all, I'm free and on my own, don't call me, I'll call you) and Scorpio who wants nothing more than to gut you and feed your entrails to any animal nearby. But my agent still considers all of them her family.

The sith warrior companions make me giggle and fit in pretty well. You have Vette who was a slave and becomes your BFF. Quinn who does his thing, but becomes completely loyal to you afterwards (and is my warrior's spouse...was NOT going to end that relationship. He's handsome, smart, and his voice is to drool over). Jaesa (light side for me). She's a tad boring, but she's loyal to you and her quest to find fellow Light Sided Sith. She's a good gal. Pierce who reminds me of Gunnery Sergeants in boot camp. lol Never ever hit that. Too grumpy and he didn't like Quinn. And Broonmark, who for some reason decides to come along for the ride after you let him do his thing on Hoth.

The smuggler gets her farm boy, who is sweet and 'aw shucks' about stuff, but will still shoot you in the face. Bowdaar basically worships the ground you walk on, especially if you tell him he's not a slave anymore and can do whatever he wants. Risha irks me alot, but my smuggler is starting to warm up to her. Akavaai is your token Mandalorian, but she's cool peeps. I like to sometimes pair her with Risha in my head. Guss cracks me up.

I am in total lust with Doc on the Jedi Knight side. When my Jedi met him, she was so full of lust she wanted to drop to her knees and beg for him to be her man, because he doesn't take 40 thousand years to basically tell you he thinks you're hot and wants her blue booty. It's a nice change from the LI companions who either act uninterested (Quinn), act too gentlemanly (Corso), too blunt and gruff (Andronikos), too innocent (Torian), or too doesn't get the picture (Vector). Doc just comes right out and says 'how YOU doooooing, baby. Let's hop in my car and make the windows fog up. *sigh*

I love the LI people so far. Thought I would hate Corso, didn't. Thought Quinn was too uptight (wasn't), thought Andronikos was too Barry White for me (reminds me of my own real life husband, especially the marriage proposal). Wow. I actually like all my companions, even though some I never play with or stop the moment I get my LI.

My Favourite so far is the BH crew. I didn't want to flush any of them out of an air lock. My only problem was I was a tank and dps so most of the time I had Mako to heal me. I would have liked to use more of them, more often.

My lest favourite was the sith inquistor having Khelm as my first compaion seemed annoying cuz he speaks alien not basic and always got in the way, I also disliked the romance arc because I found her to be ugly and it seemed really forced. There was no reason she should have joined my team and she spent the entire time sat on my ship.

I also enjoyed the IA crew but though the BH crew just piped them at the post.

I haven't delved into the Imperial side (yet), preferring to double up on my stable of Republic alts.

So far, I'd say the best Republic set is the Trooper's collection (Havoc Squad for the win!), while the worst is the Consular set. Best individual CC would be Kira Carsen, hands down; the worst? I'd say Doc. I am one of those guys who wants to punch arrogant, womanizing guys like him in the nose.

Aric Jorgen simply has the best slow burn in the game, coupled with what is by far the best introductory quest arc on the Republic side, while the stuffy Elara Dorne eventually reveals a coquettish sense of humor, and Tanno Vik... well, he loves to blow things up. On the downside, Yuun is exceedingly bland, while Forex's gung-ho glory-hound persona resolves into one-dimensional tedium.

Meanwhile, the Consular set... oh, the pain...

• Both Qyzen Fess and Tharan Cedrax hate it when you use Force powers in conversation or spout Jedi philosophy, while Fess hates it when you show mercy.
  • The male Consular character's romantic interest, Nadia Grell, joins you so late in the planetary progression path that her personality is barely introduced by the time she's at 10,000 Affection and you're done with her. And then, she comes across like a painfully-insecure teenager, It'd have been nice to see her blossom and grow in self-confidence. Maybe if she'd joined my character's crew when I first landed on Balmorra instead of after completing Belsavis, she'd have had more time to do so.
  • Tharan Cedrax (yeah, back to him) is generally found either mildly amusing at best (I saw his schtick with Holiday as a spoof of companion characters -- a virtual companion character with his own virtual companion character!), or at worst (according to the female gamers I've seen express opinions) overbearing and sexist.
  • Zenith is another character with moral views that seem opposed to those of my character. I can't go into the specifics without spoiling his class story, but suffice it to say that I felt the same disappointment with him that I felt with Qyzen and Cedrax: None of the three are able to respond to my conversation choices by growing to respect or like my dialogue choices. All three will always hate the same choices, from zero Affection to 10k. Especially with Zenith, it seems sad that I don't get to see any benefits in his character as a result of urging him to take the high road in his personal storyline.
  • Of all the Consular characters, the most memorable backstory turns out, in my opinion, to be Lieutenant Iresso's. But in his case, the core conflict reveals itself very late, risking the loss of the player's interest before the big surprise comes up. And then, almost as soon as it is revealed, it's over, leaving you to speculate on how it affects the character.

All this compares unfavorably with, say, the development of Kira Carsen for the Knight or the Smuggler's chance to touch off a catfight between Akaavi Spar and Risha.

Edited by Spectus

Hmm. I'm going to say, from a storyline point-of-view, the Consular's Nadia is the worst companion.

Spoilers ahead for the class story.

Ok. First off, you meet her at the very start of Act 2. Goes along, seems like a decent side-character.

Then, she's revealed as force-sensitive on Quesh, ok, cool. Nothing else really happens afterwards.

Then, suddenly after Belsavis, some guy decides to kidnap her father. Ok, nice little side mission incoming, right? Well, she's all "plz let me come and help you rescue him" and you can be like "No." and then she's all "plz plz plz" and you HAVE to accept her, despite thinking her only combat skills are some untrained force abilities. Then, BAM! She joins you as a companion with a mother****ing lightsaber and Jedi Robes. Errm. You never find out where exactly she found these.

So you beat up the Sith guy that took her dad. Then the conversation is something like:

Sith: umad

Nadia: Can I kill him?

You: No.

Nadia: Plz.

You: No.

Nadia: Plz.

You: No / Fine.

Nadia: FUUU / Yay!

So she seems pretty dark-side oriented, right? WRONG. She's suddenly your apprentice and the lightest Jedi you can be, showering you with +200 affection for just saying thanks to people.

And then she falls in love with you [if male] in like 2 conversations, going from "Your a cool teacher bro." to "wanna bang?" at an alarmingly fast pace. All 3 options in 1 conversation are actually to turn down her sexual advances, which was pretty funny. Although she still wants you afterwards if you chose #1/#2.

Sorry for the wall :S

Edited by Space_Chicken