Enough with the Ossus relics already

JulesKor

A message to the devs.

Look, I like a joke as well as the next person, but can you stop prioritising relics on the Ossus Weeklies? Enough is enough!

For the past 6 weeks or so, I have been trying to get a pair of Ossus boots, but all I have received is 6 relics.

For crying out loud, please make the horrendous grind for this armour obtainable with credits and give up this ludicrous path of obtaining crystals, which by the next patch will be useless. You know they will, there are several that are already useless already.

Just let us grind and buy the armour I need and can actually use instead of these endless flood of relics and gear my toon can't use.

Those six relics should have net you 1050 unassembled components, which would allow you to buy the boots you want directly. You can exchange 500 UC's for one Masterwork Data Crystal (the cost goes up to 1000 for the second but resets each week). Do that twice over the course of two weeks and buy the piece you want. Edited by ceryxp

I appreciate people's frustration with duplicates. I've had plenty of duplicates myself. But at the end of the day, we have the option to buy any piece directly. I think people annoyed by a lot of duplicates should free themselves of frustation and buy the piece they are missing with crystals. Then they could start opening the weekly reward boxes for another spec so they wouldn't go to waste.

Gearing in this game has exponentially worsened. It went from Comms to now having to save shells to get end game gear. Saving shells is beyond idiotic. If you're new to the game, have fun trying to figure it out, once you do, it's still fairly easy to obtain end game gear. Essentially, the Devs, whomever they are now, complicated a gearing system that didn't to be fixed.

Seems to be a few of these threads now with some people saying it’s fine the way it is and others saying it isn’t.

Here is the simplest solution.

The easiest solution is the algorithm checks to see what you have equiped. If you have that piece, it elimates it from the role.

I don’t know how hard it is to link the two systems, but it’s a simple algorithm as far as the maths go.

As you say, it could just be lazy coding.

: Originally Posted by mrphstar View Post

doenst work. as soon as you want 2 implants of the same type or a duplicate piece to switch healing enhancements to your dps toons, your solution fails.

The solution is to pop a choice for you to choose from.

The RNG can still be there to say you got an Implant, but then it asks you wether you want a crit, Alacrity or accuracy one.

The whole problem with the system is :

Player A always gets the item they need from the RNG drop. So they don’t have to spend crystals to buy the one they want.

Player B always gets the same piece everytime. So the only way they can get the other pieces is to use crystals.

The people I see defending the system are part of the player A group and the people complaining are from player B.

I think we should all be able to agree that it’s not a good system or a fair system. I don’t know why people are even arguing to defend it.

If Bioware are determined to make the grind slow, then make it slow for everyone at the same pace.

If they are determined to have RNG drops, then make the system a better one that checks what items you already have equiped and dont drop them again.

As Foambreaker pointed out. It’s a lazy setup or in his words “amateur hour”. In my words it’s just a lousy system that rewards some people and not others.

RNG should be scrapped in my opinion and we should just have a currency as rewards that we can save and buy what we want. This used to work well to collect pvp gear.

I think the people who belong to group A need to stop telling people from group B to suck it up. It really isn’t helpful.

At the end of the day, it’s abad system. Bioware have admitted this current gearing iteration was a mistake and they wouldn’t do it the same way if they could do it again. https://m.twitch.tv/videos/398973914

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Those six relics should have net you 1050 unassembled components, which would allow you to buy the boots you want directly. You can exchange 500 UC's for one Masterwork Data Crystal (the cost goes up to 1000 for the second but resets each week). Do that twice over the course of two weeks and buy the piece you want.

Yes you get 1050 UAC every 6 weeks. Yes you can buy ONE piece of gear with that every 6 weeks.

But it would take you 84 weeks to outfit one character or 1 year 6 months.

The OP's complaint is not that he can not gear his character, but rather that it will take over a year to do it with the current drop rate.

Yes you get 1050 UAC every 6 weeks. Yes you can buy ONE piece of gear with that every 6 weeks.

The OP's complaint is not that he can not gear his character, but rather that it will take over a year to do it with the current drop rate.

That's if you're only running one character through the weekly each week. And in those 84 weeks you would most definitely get a piece or two (or more) that you need, which saves you from needing to acquire 1000 UC's for two crystals. You're assuming disintegrating every single piece that drops from the weekly crate, which is rather unrealistic.

• 2 weeks later...

again......worst case scenario calculation.

reality looks different:

you assume that EVERY crate you open would drop a useless piece, that wont be the case.

you also assume that the only income of MWS are buying them for UAC. ignoring that he could possibly buy 2 252 pieces per week buy completing all MWS weeklies and earining UACs on another way(OPs, other Weeklies, etc.) to buy 2 MWS every week.

cant remember anymore how many times i´ve said that already:

the weekly gear crate is NOT the supposed main way of gearing!!

its totaly reasonable that people who only do 10 face roll solo missions in 15min per week expecting to get BiS, will need 1,5years to get there.

thats why you can get up to 4 (5) MWS per week doing group content to buy your gear.

every loot crates supports you with atleast 175UACs to buy you MWS for the week, nothing less.

in rare cases it saves you 2 MWS buy droping a needed piece. feel happy to get that bonus.

Edited by mrphstar

its totaly reasonable that people who only do 10 face roll solo missions in 15min per week expecting to get BiS, will need 1,5years to get there.

Yeah and as a casual (but altaholic) player I'm not seriously believing I'll gear one toon in 258 much less the rest of my 80+ toons. By the time I do the third set of weekly 10 dailies I'm done, I'm sick of it.

My casual guild tries to drag me into doing hm queen and such for crystals every now and then, but that's not constant, either, especially when I intentionally back out to let the ninth man in the door take my spot (which being the guild leader I think it's fair that I let other people who want in on the 8-man to go if they show up).

So yeah. I'm not stressing over when / how / if I'll ever get any toon to 258. I do have multiple toons in 248, and for that, given my play style the cxp crates got me to 248 long before this crystal grind will ever get even one of my toons to 258. Not popping an artery over it.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Last night I did the "10 Ossus dailies". The character had all 252s except for the chest and offhand. So, what did I get from the crate ..... a 252 chest piece. :)

RNG was good you. Congratulations, but there is no need to gloat. Some people have good luck on RNG and some poeple do not.

That is the problem with heavy RNG based systems. The people with good rolls think it's a great system, and often have zero empathy for the people who get a series of really bad rolls.

Not knowing a lick about game developing (I'll certainly armchair quarterback for a small fee) they didn't increase any content difficultly so I'm guessing that's why they aren't jumping to make the new armor easier to get.

Of course pvp will take a hit if you're only bolstered to 252 and everybody against you is 258.

Personally, I'm working on 2 mains (seperate servers) to get to 258. I certainly won't bother with the alts.

UGH ... none of this is very encouraging guys... I've returned after a 2+ year sabbatical. I've been pushing it ... and getting nowhere fast. I think I'm beginning to see why !

And to top that off... has anyone seen the prices for a pair of high end weapons for a gunslinger cost on the GTN.. IMO that means about the only real way to get anything I really want is to grind it out. I don't mind it ... but at 6 months (or more) per charactor x 8 charactors ...

:eek::eek::eek:

All I'm looking for is a means to get from point "A" (returning player) ... to point "B" .. (getting up to par with all my charactors) ... Without going broke; enjoying the game (and I do like the game) .. with 240 gear (approximately).

BTW... I'm kind of glad to see the posts.. In a way. Sometimes we can learn, even from the toughest parts of the game.

• 2 weeks later...
A message to the devs.

all I have received is 6 relics.

Just returned to the game 2 weeks ago...I came to the forum specifically to see if anyone else was getting nothing but relics. It seems like the drop rate needs to be adjusted. I wish players were given choices for gearing. Having to wait a week for another chance at a single piece of gear only to receive the exact same thing you got the week before (and didn't want) is going to get old really fast.

Those six relics should have net you 1050 unassembled components, which would allow you to buy the boots you want directly. You can exchange 500 UC's for one Masterwork Data Crystal (the cost goes up to 1000 for the second but resets each week). Do that twice over the course of two weeks and buy the piece you want.

I appreciate people's frustration with duplicates. I've had plenty of duplicates myself. But at the end of the day, we have the option to buy any piece directly. I think people annoyed by a lot of duplicates should free themselves of frustation and buy the piece they are missing with crystals. Then they could start opening the weekly reward boxes for another spec so they wouldn't go to waste.

Please, please stop making excuses for RNG.

RNG gear boxes need to go!

You do realize that if that if they eliminated the chance for a bonus from RNG they would recalculate the amount of guaranteed UCs in the aggregate you would receive for completing the mission? Choose your poison.

If you know a faster way to get 175 UCs for 15 -20 mins. of the most simple of quests / week -- I'm all ears. I won't hold my breath.

TL-DR: Which end of the spear do you want? (Hint: They are both pointy in this case. Beware the law of unintended consequences.)

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

People keep bringing up 175 UC's but it is not worthwhile to spend 1500 UC's in one week on 2 crystals. It would be better if the weekly mission awarded 1 crystal instead of an RNG gear piece. This would mean I could upgrade one 258 a week: 1 crystal from UC's, 1 from Special Weekly, 1 from dailies/Weekly Mission, 1 from WB's. Done. Sold.

Move the RNG gear crate to Galactic Command where it belongs.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

People keep bringing up 175 UC's but it is not worthwhile to spend 1500 UC's in one week on 2 crystals. It would be better if the weekly mission awarded 1 crystal instead of an RNG gear piece. This would mean I could upgrade one 258 a week: 1 crystal from UC's, 1 from Special Weekly, 1 from dailies/Weekly Mission, 1 from WB's. Done. Sold.

Move the RNG gear crate to Galactic Command where it belongs.

Of course it would be better from the perspective of the player gearing faster. Simple math says so. You are missing the point. Bioware has a set timeline in mind for the pace of gearing.

The system you propose would, in fact, make gearing faster. Done. Sold. It is also completely unrealistic.

Why? Simple. People can rail and rant against RNG all they want. If you eliminate it from the equation altogether, however, do you really think BW (or any other gaming company) isn't going to factor that into the reward equation? You are proposing a roughly 2.8 fold guaranteed increase in rewards in the aggregate (minus the sliding scale over time of likelihood of rewards).

Happen it will not, says Master Yoda.

Frankly, I'm agnostic on the whole RNG issue. But to think that BW and other gaming companies wouldn't factor its removal into the gearing equation is the height of naivete.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Of course it would be better from the perspective of the player gearing faster. Simple math says so. You are missing the point. Bioware has a set timeline in mind for the pace of gearing.

The system you propose would, in fact, make gearing faster. Done. Sold. It is also completely unrealistic.

Why? Simple. People can rail and rant against RNG all they want. If you eliminate it from the equation altogether, however, do you really think BW (or any other gaming company) isn't going to factor that into the reward equation? You are proposing a roughly 2.8 fold guaranteed increase in rewards in the aggregate (minus the sliding scale over time of likelihood of rewards).

Happen it will not, says Master Yoda.

Frankly, I'm agnostic on the whole RNG issue. But to think that BW and other gaming companies wouldn't factor its removal into the gearing equation is the height of naivete.

Dasty

TL;DR if they took out the RNG they'd add in some other slow down mechanic that will piss you off just as much if not more.

Stating how one can use the system as the system exists is not making an excuse. By your logic plastic isn't electrically resistive, the electrons are just lazy.