Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

LordPorkins

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. That could almost work. By 'bone' maybe just a cameo of Thrawn on the bridge of Star Destroyer or something would be cool.

That would be cool. Thrawn is one of my absolute favorite characters and I would really like to see him in this new continuity thing.

Hopefully they do the Heir to the Empire storyline, it is the only storyline in post RoTJ that would have the same mass appeal as the orginal. I personally would love to see some books based on the X-wing series but that would do better as a TV show IMO.

This is something I never understood. With a book, you can't focus on background things, as it'd distract from the story, leaving readers to be jarred. However with a movie, you see things, just simple things in the background, you probably won't notice them until you've watched it several more times. Like for example, when Luke first arrives in Mos Eisley, can you imagine a book going to length to describe what was going on? No, it's ridiculous as it'd distract from the plot too much, if it does distract like that, then it's a **** book.

However, in the movie, you see it all, all these things going on, yet the story still happens, yet for that brief second, you glimpsed the magical things that are placed everywhere. Subtle, simple, yet there. Movies > Books for things like that. You can't subtle describe a scene completely in a book, hence why descriptions are brief and vague when it comes to books, unless it's describing something that is either small, simple or easily describable.

You trolling?

Hopefully they do the Heir to the Empire storyline, it is the only storyline in post RoTJ that would have the same mass appeal as the orginal. I personally would love to see some books based on the X-wing series but that would do better as a TV show IMO.

Would be cool, but the intial report is the new trilogy won't be based on anything currently in print post EP VI.

Don't forget Kyle Katarn. He's probably going to get scrapped too. Unless they get Chuck Norris to play as Kyle in EP. 7.

I think you mean John Williams, because John Williams is represented as Kyle Katarn remember...its one of his many facts. Of course...thinking on that now, if they don't have John Williams do the Star Wars music for 7 then it won't really be Star Wars.

I think you mean John Williams, because John Williams is represented as Kyle Katarn remember...its one of his many facts. Of course...thinking on that now, if they don't have John Williams do the Star Wars music for 7 then it won't really be Star Wars.

John's kinda aging so he wouldn't be able to do all of the stuff Kyle does. Maybe Chuck can be the stunt double.

But, yeah, without John William's music Star Wars won't be the same. I would love to see what he can do with this new trilogy. That's gonna be the main reason I see the new movies.

The franchise needs a proper reboot, like they achieved with Star Trek, not re-animating second class literature.

While I agree that they shouldn't just copy a post-ROTJ story from the EU....and I never really expected them to do that anyway....there IS some really good stuff out there in the EU. Some of this stuff has worked it's way into the films too. For example, Zahn created Coruscant which Lucas then used for Episodes 1-3. Aayla Secura was also an EU creation that Lucas then used in his movies. On the Clone Wars TV Series, Lucas has used characters that were developed through the EU such as Asajj Ventress. There are other characters like Quinlan Vos and Aurra Sing that had extremely minor appearances in the movies but have had a big development in the EU and Lucas used them in the Clone Wars TV series as well. So there is some stuff in the EU that Lucas has incorporated into his work. Therefore, I think labeling the entire EU as second-rate garbage to be tossed aside is incorrect.

I don't think we're going to see a true reboot here at all, other than recasting characters like Luke, Han and Leia (some characters like Chewie, R2 and C3PO can be easily re-used without casting problems). They aren't going to re-do any of the stories from the first 6 movies and they aren't going to change the history that was established in those movies. So I wouldn't compare it to Star Trek or Batman, in that regard. They are doing Episode 7 which is a continuation of the existing stories....not a re-doing of them. While they won't just be copying a storyline from the EU, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some extremely popular characters from the EU make appearances such as Thrawn and Mara Jade. Frankly, those are such great characters, it would be silly not to incorporate them somehow.

An original storyline, though, makes tremendous sense as one of the things that made Episodes 1-3 so stale is that they were telling a story that we already knew, somewhat. There were many things forced into those movies just to keep in line with that had been mentioned about the past in Episodes 4-6. So there was no real opportunity to get creative with the stories. Just copying an EU storyline would fall into this same trap. I'm pretty excited to see where they take the story and what sort of creative ideas they bring to life....but I'm sure we'll see some incorporation of EU characters, planets, etc. Keep in mind, the head of Disney made it a point to say that Disney was buying the entire SW universe with all of its characters, planets, etc. They are well-aware of the appeal of the EU.

While I agree that they shouldn't just copy a post-ROTJ story from the EU....and I never really expected them to do that anyway....there IS some really good stuff out there in the EU. Some of this stuff has worked it's way into the films too. For example, Zahn created Coruscant which Lucas then used for Episodes 1-3. Aayla Secura was also an EU creation that Lucas then used in his movies. On the Clone Wars TV Series, Lucas has used characters that were developed through the EU such as Asajj Ventress. There are other characters like Quinlan Vos and Aurra Sing that had extremely minor appearances in the movies but have had a big development in the EU and Lucas used them in the Clone Wars TV series as well. So there is some stuff in the EU that Lucas has incorporated into his work. Therefore, I think labeling the entire EU as second-rate garbage to be tossed aside is incorrect.

I don't think we're going to see a true reboot here at all, other than recasting characters like Luke, Han and Leia (some characters like Chewie, R2 and C3PO can be easily re-used without casting problems). They aren't going to re-do any of the stories from the first 6 movies and they aren't going to change the history that was established in those movies. So I wouldn't compare it to Star Trek or Batman, in that regard. They are doing Episode 7 which is a continuation of the existing stories....not a re-doing of them. While they won't just be copying a storyline from the EU, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some extremely popular characters from the EU make appearances such as Thrawn and Mara Jade. Frankly, those are such great characters, it would be silly not to incorporate them somehow.

An original storyline, though, makes tremendous sense as one of the things that made Episodes 1-3 so stale is that they were telling a story that we already knew, somewhat. There were many things forced into those movies just to keep in line with that had been mentioned about the past in Episodes 4-6. So there was no real opportunity to get creative with the stories. Just copying an EU storyline would fall into this same trap. I'm pretty excited to see where they take the story and what sort of creative ideas they bring to life....but I'm sure we'll see some incorporation of EU characters, planets, etc. Keep in mind, the head of Disney made it a point to say that Disney was buying the entire SW universe with all of its characters, planets, etc. They are well-aware of the appeal of the EU.

^^^^This

It seems Disney intends to take forward Episode 7 with a new storyline. I think this is good news, there will be less of a feeling that a dead horse is being flogged, and hopefully not too many geriatric ex- star wars actors turning up.

Although I can see Mark Hamill coming back as the new Obi Wan Kenobi role.

What is also good news, is that the ridiculous post ROTJ books will not be made into films. Star Wars is the films, for better or for worse, and devaluing the product to make more money by releasing all these books and comics, is a sad reality of the modern world. We don't need to compound this by turning them into films.

The franchise needs a proper reboot, like they achieved with Star Trek, not re-animating second class literature.

If they do a reboot of this franchise, I will cut the rebel insignia tattoo on my arm off with a razor blade dipped in malice and hatred.

I will also never give another cent of my money to Disney, or any other affiliated businesses.

This isnt some Marvel crap storyline written by some hack writer paid in booze and heroin. This is a 30 year legacy. This is a major part of the worlds sci fi mythos. For many Star Wars is a religion.

REboot this series?

You need to put down the crackpipe sir.

PS: Star Trek wasnt rebooted. The new movie depicted an alternate timeline. I guess you fell asleep from boredom by the point in the movie that you learn that.

But if they don't want to recast, the big 3's age and shape is a problem.

For many Star Wars is a religion.

Ah ha, here's the problem...

No wonder so many are acting like someone peed in their Cheerio's this morning. :rolleyes:

Lucas is terrible and Disney sucks!!! They need to make Star Wars how I want it done!!!

Silly hardcores :jawa_tongue:

I'm interested in how they are going to carry the story of the films on. I always saw them as the rise and fall of anakin skywalker/darth vadar, and with him out of the picture I really don't get what they are going to do for the films.

I'm interested in how they are going to carry the story of the films on. I always saw them as the rise and fall of anakin skywalker/darth vadar, and with him out of the picture I really don't get what they are going to do for the films.

That does worry me as well and has always made me wonder because Lucas has said he always had ideas for 7-9 long ago. Just makes you realy wonder how it all went together in his head. Did it all just get crunched down so that how it ends in 6 is how it was really supposed to end in 9. But then I saw that interview where he mentions he gave the treatements for 7-9 to Disney and that's what the new films are going to be at least loosely based on. It's just hard to imagine any plot having the weight of 1-6. The best I can think of would be Luke establishing a Jedi Acedemy and some type of internal struggle with it.

If they do a reboot of this franchise, I will cut the rebel insignia tattoo on my arm off with a razor blade dipped in malice and hatred.

I will also never give another cent of my money to Disney, or any other affiliated businesses.

This isnt some Marvel crap storyline written by some hack writer paid in booze and heroin. This is a 30 year legacy. This is a major part of the worlds sci fi mythos. For many Star Wars is a religion.

REboot this series?

You need to put down the crackpipe sir.

PS: Star Trek wasnt rebooted. The new movie depicted an alternate timeline. I guess you fell asleep from boredom by the point in the movie that you learn that.

Wow, chemical imbalance prevails again.

It's not going to be a nail in the coffin by any means. It just means there will be yet even more EU books in the future. :)

Even in these recent interviews, Lucas has made a point to mention that they have a wealth of books, comics, games and TV shows out there to consider. He's also praised some of the EU books quite a bit . Mostly, however, he just wants to believe they are separate parallel universes. Going forward, I doubt they'd adapt EU books to movies, but I don't think they'll outright disregard and bury them knowing how popular they are with fans. With Lucas relinquishing control to a degree, you never know.

People just don't get it. Anything that has been published is "canon". It all had to be signed off by the bearded one. So if it has been published, created, played on a console, viewed on Cartoon Central, it is considered canon in the Star Wars Universe. I personally have loved a lot of the books that have come out of the EU. Some of them p***** me off (re: the death of Mara Jade), but on the whole, they have some really talented writers that have written a lot of the books. My favorites were Timothy Zahn's. He was highly perturbed when they killed Mara Jade also. Not what he envisioned for her when he created her character. But on the whole, the EU books have given me over 20 years worth of reading. Some good, some not so good depending on the writer. Oh yeah, and to those who think that books are a lower art form than film making, get an imagination. I get more out of books than I do out of any movie. It is a shame that the younger generation has lost their imaginations. They are all for immediate gratification and what they can get out of a 2 hour movie. It's a shame. Writing is the ultimate art form. It takes a trully creative person to put into writing what they invision for others to read and get substance out of.

Reboot of Star Wars-No. Nail in the coffin of the EU-I don't think so. A new adventure in a galaxy far, far away-waiting with bated breath.

Just to answer some points some people have made....

This discussion isn't about whether books are better than films as an art medium. They have different strengths and weaknesses. However when one is adapted from the other, the new art form tends to be weaker. In other words, films of books tend to be inferior to books, and vice versa.

In the case of Star Wars, the reason it was so big was because it did something on the cinema screen that no other movie had done at that time. Audiences were wowed and captured by a new cinematic experience.

The books and spin offs comics that followed were not groundbreaking in any way because they were not produced by a visionary or creative genius the way the films were. They were mediocre books that would not appear on a single 'must read' list, unless you were a star wars fan starved of new star wars material.

The expanded universe is weak because of this. There is nothing unusual or remarkable about it.

I actually agree that the expanded universe is only going to expand as a result of the new films. New films means new spin offs.

But the inspiration, and what captures the imagination about Star Wars is what appears on the cinema screen, no one got into Star Wars from reading the books.

The expanded universe is weak because of this. There is nothing unusual or remarkable about it.

I actually agree that the expanded universe is only going to expand as a result of the new films. New films means new spin offs.

But the inspiration, and what captures the imagination about Star Wars is what appears on the cinema screen, no one got into Star Wars from reading the books.

exactly they are going to still release a whole slew of new comics and books to support this new Post ROTJ EU. I am also calling it that we are going to see a reverse of the Avengers

Where we get the new trilogy and then new movie spin offs based around the new characters telling smaller stories. So we will be getting some years where we get 2 star wars movies. It would be like getting one about an adventure that centers around Luke and one that centers around Han in the same year. Of course it will be with the new characters.

Ah ha, here's the problem...

No wonder so many are acting like someone peed in their Cheerio's this morning. :rolleyes:

Lucas is terrible and Disney sucks!!! They need to make Star Wars how I want it done!!!

Silly hardcores :jawa_tongue:

I never said they should make it how I would like it done. Love him or hate him, it should be done how george wants it done, and if hes too old and crotchety it shouldnt get done. Period.

Disney is going to repaint the mona lisa, of course people are up in arms you freaking melvin.