Does anyone feel that outlander is weak?

Sorens

I find the idea of Zakuul having better trained force users laughable. Their main advantage is obviously their eternal fleet. They have a technological advantage. Saying they have superior force users to two orders with thousands of years of tradition behind them is ridiculous and would be bad writing if it were so. The Sith have things like sorcery and alchemy. The Jedi have their Wall of Light and other similar techniques. The knights of Zakuul have nothing.
This...so much this. I always thought of the Zakuul knights as being a really good army to win battles with but bad as individual fighters compared to most Jedi/Sith after the Great Galactic war.

Lana puts it best when she force chokes that knight and says "Never taught to properly channel your anger". They have their own style in the force which suits them for army vs army combat but bad for a lightside/darkside master in a one on one fight. Most cases where the Zakuul knights own is when they have more guys then the other side and use some clever moves to counter strong force users.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone seriously think Arcann or Vaylin can defeat Darth Nox who has the power of 5 ghosts? Senya could fight Vaylin and win with lightsaber skills alone. Do people actually think Senya, a woman past her prime who has no real understanding of the force would realistically be able to last 5 seconds against any of the force using PC's?

The most contradicting thing is Senya beating Vaylin and slapping you around when they say you can't even stand against her, so what use is the Outlander if Senya is that much more powerful than us?

I'm guessing we're just the poster boy in this expansion something for people to rally around..

Everything we did before alone now has to be done with droves of idiotic companions.

I mean my consular being saved by Koth was so supremely crap, the barsen'thor of the Jedi Order a legendary position reserved for the most powerful and influential the Jedi the order has ever produced and I'm constantly having to be rescued by droids and grunts.

What makes it even worse, you get rescued by droids and grunts even though in both fights with Arcann you were basically pummeling him into the ground, only to get interrupted by a cutscene. You feel you have the upper hand, and then a cutscene arrives that shows you that "lol no, you're not", and it just feels forced. The game constantly keeps telling you that your opponent is immensely strong, but when it comes to an actual fight you just don't feel it.

There is nothing exceptional about Arcann. Nothing he has shown indicates he is anything more then a brute. All Arcann has are good lightsaber skills and above average strength in the force. That's it. The only force ability we have seen him use is telekinesis. A very basic ability whose strength is determined by how much power one has to throw around. And even if he did have more raw power then the force using PC's (which I seriously doubt) we should have still handed him his shiny metal behind.

Our PC's aren't Anakin. They aren't novices who need to catch up and fulfill their potential. They are some of the greatest Jedi and Sith in the history of their respective orders and are at the absolute zenith of their power to boot. They also have much more experience fighting other force users what with having played pivotal roles in the war between empire and republic.

I find the idea of Zakuul having better trained force users laughable. Their main advantage is obviously their eternal fleet. They have a technological advantage. Saying they have superior force users to two orders with thousands of years of tradition behind them is ridiculous and would be bad writing if it were so. The Sith have things like sorcery and alchemy. The Jedi have their Wall of Light and other similar techniques. The knights of Zakuul have nothing.

Does anyone seriously think Arcann or Vaylin can defeat Darth Nox who has the power of 5 ghosts? Senya could fight Vaylin and win with lightsaber skills alone. Do people actually think Senya, a woman past her prime who has no real understanding of the force would realistically be able to last 5 seconds against any of the force using PC's? We slaugthered incredibly powerful Sith Lords and Jedi Masters. The Dread Masters were infinitely more dangerous then Senya and we beat them. We should be much stronger then this.

Completely agree with you mate. After being disappointed with SoR and alliance with republic I was hoping KotFE will be much better. Beginning was very good, but after my DS SI wake up from being frozen... I was like "*** is this" all the time. "She is member of the Dark Council, Sith Lord who has the power of five ghosts for god sake..".

Eh nevermind...another disappointment.

There is nothing exceptional about Arcann. Nothing he has shown indicates he is anything more then a brute. All Arcann has are good lightsaber skills and above average strength in the force. That's it. The only force ability we have seen him use is telekinesis. A very basic ability whose strength is determined by how much power one has to throw around. And even if he did have more raw power then the force using PC's (which I seriously doubt) we should have still handed him his shiny metal behind.

Our PC's aren't Anakin. They aren't novices who need to catch up and fulfill their potential. They are some of the greatest Jedi and Sith in the history of their respective orders and are at the absolute zenith of their power to boot. They also have much more experience fighting other force users what with having played pivotal roles in the war between empire and republic.

Does anyone seriously think Arcann or Vaylin can defeat Darth Nox who has the power of 5 ghosts? Senya could fight Vaylin and win with lightsaber skills alone. Do people actually think Senya, a woman past her prime who has no real understanding of the force would realistically be able to last 5 seconds against any of the force using PC's? We slaugthered incredibly powerful Sith Lords and Jedi Masters. The Dread Masters were infinitely more dangerous then Senya and we beat them. We should be much stronger then this.

My Inquisitor's Power Was Already Bad-*** Enough That I Could Defeat A Dashade As A Sith Acolyte,A Sith Acolyte Defeating A Species That Eats Force Users For Breakfast!I Should Wreck Arcann And Vaylin.

Knights of Zakuul dont seem any stronger than your average Sith or Jedi. Lana seems to handle them without any real issues.

The issue with the Knights is that Valkorion designed their gear to hard-counter lightsabers. Pike and shield is very difficult to beat with a sword and pikes don't have death-touch sides like lightsaber pikes do.

The ONLY reason the Knights would use this gear is to kill Jedi/Sith. As police their Force sensitivity and a dull stave are more than enough (especially with what seems an aversion to killing in Zakuul culture). The Knights don't know this, but it is obvious.

Edited by Canareth

The ONLY reason the Knights would use this gear is to kill Jedi/Sith.

Which would make them rubbish in individual fighting since they are trained as a unit to counter force users. It would be even worse if they tried occupying a planet since Gorilla warfare tactics with the force would whittle them down VERY quickly. I suspect this might be the real reason Arcann never occupied any core world.

Pikes are great weapons for countering armies in the open or on hilly terrain but less so for urban environments. They also are good because it would require less training then mastering a light saber and they can be replaced without notice kinda like the Persian Immortals.

Most of this points to just how Zakuul warfare is waged but not why Arcann is so OP in cut scenes. I thought that it was because Arcann AND Thexan were fighting was why the Eternal empire was so strong during the initial invasions. Twins powerful in the force that had each others backs but when Arcann killed him, he cut his power and support in half. They make it seem like he gained his twin's power when he killed him or something....never really got that.

Okay also I wanna add that Arkan is not average he is exceptional as he proved when he slaughtered all those jedi and sith in the introduction. Hell and he is the one without his powers sealed guess who has them sealed?

This guy got stronger he had better training and git even stronger after learned more on how the sith and jedi fight so much that he must have even slayed some council members in the 5 years we where frozen and countless jedi almost destroying the order. He is exceptional and the heroes need to catch up.

Agreed.... This guys comes off as a beast, and he can take lots of punishment. He recovered from a lightning blast of Valkorian relatively quick, a blast that instantly killed Darth Marr. He was able to reflect force lightning of the Outlander for some time before being sent flying to his death off that platform . He has Vader like durability and can take a hit, that is for certain. He is physically strong and an exceptional duelist. His force powers seem very proficient to... He blasted HK-55 to pieces and his telekinetics are powerful enough to toss the outlander around the room. Haven't seen him use lightning, but does not meant he can't. His primary focus seems to be lightsaber dueling, but his force blasts are extremely powerful and far above average.. As of right now I also think he also reigns supreme over Valyin. Valyin lost a duel to her mom. It was a close duel, but I doubt Arcann would lose to Senya. Valyin has the most potential, but she is still spreading her wings. The Outlander has been frozen in carbonite 5 years and has some catching up to do until he stands against Arcann again.

Edited by DARTHOSIRUS

Agreed.... This guys comes off as a beast, and he can take lots of punishment. He recovered from a lightning blast of Valkorian relatively quick, a blast that instantly killed Darth Marr. He was able to reflect force lightning of the Outlander for some time before being sent flying to his death off that platform . He has Vader like durability and can take a hit, that is for certain. He is physically strong and an exceptional duelist. His force powers seem very proficient to... He blasted HK-55 to pieces and his telekinetics are powerful enough to toss the outlander around the room. Haven't seen him use lightning, but does not meant he can't. His primary focus seems to be lightsaber dueling, but his force blasts are extremely powerful and far above average.. As of right now I also think he also reigns supreme over Valyin. Valyin lost a duel to her mom. It was a close duel, but I doubt Arcann would lose to Senya. Valyin has the most potential, but she is still spreading her wings. The Outlander has been frozen in carbonite 5 years and has some catching up to do until he stands against Arcann again.

Muh..they probably do it like they did it with Revan . Get everyone to beat him with a stick..and call you a champion :rolleyes:

I wish we could gain some super power and fight him one on one , then the title of Savior or watever will be truly earned .

So he's basically what our Knights/Warriors/Shadows/Assassins should have felt like in gameplay mechanics but don't. :p A good mix of force and saber attacks!

So he's basically what our Knights/Warriors/Shadows/Assassins should have felt like in gameplay mechanics but don't. :p A good mix of force and saber attacks!

Just because our characters are strong in the force or in some cases strong in the blasters it does not mean that their the only one strong in the force.

For example there 4 characters strong in the force that we know they are you know SW, SI, JK, JC so what is stopping other that are nor playable to not be as strong or even stronger in the force?

Lets not forget that our enemy besides being strong in the force he is also half machine meaning way more strength then us and had 5 years of more practice then us. But we know have a lot of trainers so we might surpass him very fast with a few training in the force thanks to our Voss mystic and other capable force users if you are a force user of course, with some biochems and well placed implants from our great and capable doctors, from our military man our non force user can learn or better said use high grade equipment very high grade equipment that can be used for SW and JK because a powerful shield or a powerful armor does not ruin anything. Or smuggler friends can provide us with experimental weapons and some unusual and hard to counter skills.

Just because our characters are strong in the force or in some cases strong in the blasters it does not mean that their the only one strong in the force.

For example there 4 characters strong in the force that we know they are you know SW, SI, JK, JC so what is stopping other that are nor playable to not be as strong or even stronger in the force?

Lets not forget that our enemy besides being strong in the force he is also half machine meaning way more strength then us and had 5 years of more practice then us. But we know have a lot of trainers so we might surpass him very fast with a few training in the force thanks to our Voss mystic and other capable force users if you are a force user of course, with some biochems and well placed implants from our great and capable doctors, from our military man our non force user can learn or better said use high grade equipment very high grade equipment that can be used for SW and JK because a powerful shield or a powerful armor does not ruin anything. Or smuggler friends can provide us with experimental weapons and some unusual and hard to counter skills.

I never said our characters where the only one. :p I just said he got to feel like how our saber duelist should be :)

Muh..they probably do it like they did it with Revan . Get everyone to beat him with a stick..and call you a champion :rolleyes:

I wish we could gain some super power and fight him one on one , then the title of Savior or watever will be truly earned .

The problem with gaining god-like powers is that then your story arc has nowhere to go. What do you do at that point, find nothing but gods to battle? Annihilate planets like Vitiate? When the main character in a book achieves that kind of ridiculous overpowering they get termed a Mary Sue or Gary Stu....and it not only makes it difficult for the author to come up with any kind of credible storyline in a continuing series, it makes those storylines escalate to the point where they make most intelligent people cringe. A shining example of this would be Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series, where both the heroines seem to gain two or three "oh, so totally unique" superpowers each book, with the result that they have become caricatures of themselves who seem capable of achieving everything but global peace with a wave of their hands. It might make it fun to be an ultimate fighting hero for a while, but it kills character progression (storywise) in the long run.

I mean, I loved the Anita Blake books until Laurell K ditched her husband, who was also her main editor, to marry her fan club president. Since that point, around book 8, a formerly interesting character who had to use actual intelligence to solve problems has become the reference to have in any definition of Mary Sue, complete with an ego the size of Manhattan. Or the Emperor's. But these days, I don't even bother to check the new books out of the library. Though I do look them up on Amazon to see the always hilarious reviews battle it out between the people like you who think supreme overpoweredness is awesome and give every book a five star rating, and people like me who think it makes for enough cheese to feed an army of rats, and give them one star. I am delighted the SWtOR writers have more sense. Five stars from me so far.

Here's the deal -

This story, while good IMO, suffers from being a "one size fits all." I don't care how the devs try spinning it, no Smuggler is going to be able to face Arcann (if at all) in the same way that the Emperor's Wrath, the Hero of Tython, or a Dark Council member can. The way this story is built, the big fights don't make sense no matter what way you spin it. On the one hand, there is no chance in hell that a Smuggler is going to defeat Arcann in any scenario ever. That would be like Han Solo throwing down with Sidious in Episode VI. Not only would the viewer not believe that's possible, Han himself would laugh at you for even suggesting he was capable of that. On the other hand, the Emperor's Wrath, the Hero of Tython and a member of the Dark Council should not be thrown around by hardly anyone, and certainly shouldn't play second fiddle to his/her companions. That would be like (as someone pointed out earlier I think) Yoda facing Sidious only to have Starkiller, an inferior Jedi, come out of nowhere and essentially say 'back up, I got this." I made an instant 60 just to see how this story played out, and all of this still bothered me. I am weary to run through with my Inquisitor, Warrior or Knight because I know I'm going to be bothered by the fact that they and their power are given absolutely no respect by the people who created them (the writers, I mean). I wouldn't even consider running through with my Agent, BH, Smuggler or Trooper because I know for a fact that they're outclassed and outmatched by Arcann and Vaylin. IMO, all four of those classes' power (with the exception of maybe the Smuggler and the BH) derives directly from their faction. In this story, their faction is essentially powerless, so how exactly do they themselves have any power? And why on earth were they chosen of all people to accompany Darth Marr on his ship, and why did Valkorion pick them to succeed him, especially as a non-Force user? To my earlier point about faction power, I read a few pages back someone said that Agent should "call in an orbital strike," and I found myself asking "From where?" The Empire is most certainly not in striking distance of Zakuul, and orbital strikes don't just produce themselves, they come from flagships.

I got a little off topic, but this is basically my rant on all of the ridiculous issues with this story. That being said, if it was packaged as a console game like KOTOR with a brand new character with no real backstory other than being a powerful Jedi (or Sith I guess), it would be in contention for Game of the Year. KoTFE would've been a great KOTOR 3, but I'm not too hot on it as a SWTOR expansion.

This. Seriously.

Right now, my headcanon is saying our characters just need to fully recover from residing in that carbonite then we'll wipe the floor with Arcann and Vaylin. We've faced Soa, Kephess, the Dread Masters, and Revan himself. We've survived and fried bigger fish basically. Even if Arcann has more raw power than the Force using PCs, we have far more experience than him.

Zakuul overall is just laughable. I found it amusing how despite their apparent overwhelming numbers, according to Lana, they relied on ambush tactics during the war. Concerning the Knights of Zakuul, the only advantage I've seen thus far that they have over the Jedi and Sith other than the apparent better Force usage (Which we really haven't seen) is choice of weaponry.

In the end, I don't think Zakuul is that well-written if at all, considering how they just pop out of nowhere to crush both the Empire and the Republic just like that with no hints of their existence at all beforehand.

The problem with gaining god-like powers is that then your story arc has nowhere to go. What do you do at that point, find nothing but gods to battle? Annihilate planets like Vitiate? When the main character in a book achieves that kind of ridiculous overpowering they get termed a Mary Sue or Gary Stu....and it not only makes it difficult for the author to come up with any kind of credible storyline in a continuing series, it makes those storylines escalate to the point where they make most intelligent people cringe. A shining example of this would be Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series, where both the heroines seem to gain two or three "oh, so totally unique" superpowers each book, with the result that they have become caricatures of themselves who seem capable of achieving everything but global peace with a wave of their hands. It might make it fun to be an ultimate fighting hero for a while, but it kills character progression (storywise) in the long run.

It'sn't about having God Powers . I guess what I mean , is that I want a vilain to be more then just Bigger then me (remember how revan looked bigger for some reasons?) , and be so overpowered that you gotta get alot of peoples to defeat him .

I'm personally more impressed with peoples intelligence , cunning , and others qualities that make a vilain a great Vilain . He has to make me sweat and hate him , he has to have more then a shinie Armor and Zappy powers for me to think 'YES! I'm gonna Kick his behind!!!'

If I have to play on the road of 'Gather an alliance and unity will win the day' then I like it to be more then what we had say in Revan Expansion .

That whole run around because everyone is floating around and I have to help them mid fight remind me of the Time-Out Malak did during his fight . And I hated his fight .

I take Nihilus and sion and kreia over that guy any day .

I understand Engine Limitation , I also understand that in MMO peoples don't expect ALOT . but It seem like BW and EA are aiming on Story telling . So I think that the game when it come to Vilain and writing them they should do better .

For exemple , in Sith Sorc I was so dissapointed I didn't get to kill Thanathon . All that Journey , all that hate building for someone else to take the kill from me .

As for Knight of the Fallens ? None of the Vilain is impressive or have that something that make you wanna see more of them or wanna fight them more . Beside frustration that you have been beaten during a cutscene .

Arcann come off as a rich brat born with privilége , and even though he seem to have grown in a different society then the Empire . He act like a normal Sith do . And we've met so many of those who come off as big bully who need a slap for a wake up call . You would think he stand out (in others areas beside his power , personality where is it?) .

His sister , I was looking forward to see what she was like . I find her voice annoying . And she come off as cliché . She probably end up killing her own brother . You just wait and see (cose he is weaker and he fear her , that's how it work often ) . And we don't know her stance on Arcann killing Thexan . Maybe she care , maybe she doesn't . Then there is the Throne . I doubt they happily share it . Wich in the whole is cliché . Fighting brother and sister over the fortune...:rolleyes:

As for The Emprore . He is dissapointing because (1) there seem very little choice when it come to him . (2) it seem set up in a way that seem like in the end he may win regardless of what you choose . (3) I'm also afraid in the end it become : Solve my family issue and I give you Zaakul , cose I think you are the chosen one .

Let just say I've seen better vilain then this . These guys are nowhere fun .

And the Title of Outlander is kinda Lame . The cutscene at the beginning where Arcann say 'They are here!' suggest they knew who we were . Would have been more immersive if they just used our Titles like Nox or Wraith instead of Outlander . Since by the time you wake up , they know about our corner of the galaxy and have fortress hovering over each .

Like others, I do feel disappointment that we have not proven to be good matches for our foes. Vaylin is one thing, but Arcann's straightforward brutality and strength in the force should not drastically overwhelm a JK, JC, SW, and SI. Seeing as that isn't the case, I'm going to have to chalk up our poor showings as being 'rusty' after five long years in carbonite. We may retain our abilities but we are not at the peak we would no doubt be had those five years been spent training and fighting.

Once the next few chapters are out, maybe Bioware will toss us a bone and give us the chance to be feared or respected, especially dependent on how we treated the Zakuul Knight's during the main storyline. If we killed them, maybe they'll fear us. If we spared them, maybe we'll get some respect from them. The expansion set us up to be leaders before powerhouses. The galaxy isn't as we knew it before we were put in carbonite.

And, yeah, it feels weird being considered the equal of any Force User as a Trooper. I headcanon that the non-Jedi and non-Sith characters have force sensitivity, whether it is true or false, as an explanation for why we are 'special' to Valkorian. There's got to be something to this.

This is a complete Jedi-Sith expansion though, no doubt about it. I've yet to feel as heroic on my Trooper as I had my SW or JK. The feeling just doesn't compare.

... It would be even worse if they tried occupying a planet since Gorilla warfare tactics with the force would whittle them down VERY quickly. ...

Which they consequently don't do.

Zakuul's only strength is it's fleet.

The game constantly keeps telling you that your opponent is immensely strong, but when it comes to an actual fight you just don't feel it.

This, it's annoying. Those fights should at least have been moderately challenging, as it stands, you whittle him to 50% and then Force Plot takes over.

I didn't felt weak, I felt outmatched, and that's fine. What's the point of this 'lone hero against the odds' story if you don't struggle ? Sure the actual gameplay fights are easy, old news, the solo content has always been easy, even before 4.0. The only challenging stuff in this game is the group content. I think it's understandable you don't perform at 100% after 5 years in carbonite and against the offspring of the Emperor himself AKA the most powerful being in the galaxy. Arcann probably trained non-stop since he was able to walk and not in a softie jedi way, so yeah obviously he's very strong and resistant. He's not a brute, he was groomed for battle and command, therefore he's a close quarter warrior so you won't see him channeling the force like Vaylin or performing rituals like Valkorion (and still, his force abilities are clearly there). Vaylin is described as a ticking force bomb only starting to explore her full potential and we're lucky she's a dumb crazy without any discipline. Edited by Lazproperty

Yes, the 'Outlander' IS weak. Your fights against Knights of Zakuul and the Heralds of Zildrog are exercises in frustration.

Every strong mob or better is immune to pushback abilities, has CHAIN-STUN abilities, has pushback that IGNORES any immunites, the list goes on and on, and NOT ONE icon denoting that they are AWESOME and you are PATHETIC.

I get that the devs are being 'subtle' and oh so gently trying to insinuate that you are definitely off your game from your involuntary toxsicle trip. This will not work for most peeps, if its not in your face and doing the flamenco, most peole will totally miss out on it. If you want a reason, blame hollywood with their constant barrage of 'hand-holding' storytelling. The devs really need to 'throw us a bone' and flat out tell us why we are so.....average.

Well, let's see. From the viewpoint of my Consular main, I've been immobilized for five years (not good for muscle tone you know), poisoned to the brink of death, and as soon as was unfrozen I got thrown into high intensity combat and still haven't had a chance to recuperate at all.

Despite this Arcann and Vaylin are terrified of the guy who is now a prisoner in my mind, and can't really do anything other than whine unless I let him (and based on our history he's not likely to earn any sort of parole, probation, or clemency). When I fight Arcann we keep getting interrupted, but my Consular is holding her own, which is a bit surprising since these have all been lightsaber battles and as a tactical matter she would be much better off using the force as her primary weapon. That dueling nonsense is really more the province of Knights, normally using the force to throw things like walkers and spaceships at Arcann would be more up the consular's alley. In the big battle it was to the point that I felt like I was winning the saber duel (and was really surprised to be winning) when Arcann suddenly switched to using the force, which caught me off guard and got me impaled.

I feel like with 6 months of physical therapy and 2 weeks of vacation my Consular will be ready to wipe the floor with Arcann and Vaylin even if it's 2v1.

So, no, with all the extenuating circumstances a force user Outlander doesn't feel more than temporarily weak. It feels like after a rest they'll be so strong that Arcann and Vaylin should drop what they're doing now and find some other galaxy to run away to and hide in.

Well, let's see. From the viewpoint of my Consular main, I've been immobilized for five years (not good for muscle tone you know), poisoned to the brink of death, and as soon as was unfrozen I got thrown into high intensity combat and still haven't had a chance to recuperate at all.

Despite this Arcann and Vaylin are terrified of the guy who is now a prisoner in my mind, and can't really do anything other than whine unless I let him

...What game have you been playing? Valkorian isn't trapped in your mind, he can move anytime he wants, he chooses to stay there because he has a plan and you are a part of it.

I felt the same way, I always imagined my Sith Inquisitor to be the most powerful force user on the Dark Council, 2nd in the Galaxy only to the Emperor, then I see him getting tossed around like he's nothing by kids.

I'd just love a show of true power from myself, not Valkorion. I know they have to make every story semi the same to save money, but there's no reason my sith needs the help of Valkorion to match Arcann or Vaylin.

Not to mention I was basically forced to become a 'good guy'. I am full -10000 dark side with 0 light side points and I couldn't even act like it half the time or else i'd take a huge hit in influence (and thus miss out on the rewards).

Actually, they're not kids. They're more/less the same age as we are. We may be a bit older, but not much. When we began on Hutta/Korriban/Tython/Ord Mantell we're the youngest 17, oldest 21. So add 10 years and we're late 20s/early 30s. You can make your character look as old as Moses, but we're ALL young characters.