Deciding mission/gathering skills

WhenRabbitHowls

For one of my characters, I want my crew skills to collect things that can be sold well on the GTN. Right now I have treasure hunting, investigation, and scavenging.

Is this a good combo to have to collect things that will sell on the GTN? I'm also a sub, so when my subscription expires, which skills should I stick with?

I mainly would like to have things that will sell well regardless of lvl (I know the higher the lvl, the more profitable it is).

For one of my characters, I want my crew skills to collect things that can be sold well on the GTN. Right now I have treasure hunting, investigation, and scavenging.

Is this a good combo to have to collect things that will sell on the GTN? I'm also a sub, so when my subscription expires, which skills should I stick with?

I mainly would like to have things that will sell well regardless of lvl (I know the higher the lvl, the more profitable it is).

Treasure Hunting is only used by Artiface crafters- which in your case will limit your market considerably

Investigation is only used by Armstech crafters-which again will limit your market considerably.

Scavenging is used by more than one crafter so this might be a good one.

Scavenging yes.

Treasure Hunting and Investigation...not so much

The fact is that TH and Inv only feed one crew skill each: TH feeds Artifice and Inv feeds Armstech. Add to this that Armstech does not make a lot of highly sought things and demand for inv mats is even lower.

Slicing and Underworld Trading are the two mission skills with the highest demand for their materials.

Be all that as it may you can still only collect so much of X item a day. I know for a fact that purple stacks of any TH will sell no worries in a day and they currently seem to have some of the highest per unit price from the level 0 through to 450 materials for purples anyway with the exception of beryillus <SP> and those thermal regulators. So unless you're somehow getting 1000's of items a day to sell then popularity doesn't matter so much as opposed to how much profit you can make selling them.

In saying that though if you were to say buy purple TH missions vs the missions that reward beryillus/TRs you will find the profit margin much better for TH just because so many people recommend Slicing/Underworld Trading thus in that regard TH is superior.

If you only run the missions given to you on your standard crew skills then well I don't know. I'm not patient enough to generally run those to get no purples since the standard materials you get aren't worth bugger all.

Also not entirely sure how non purple slicing/UT materials stack up against TH but with slicing I've noted it's not much better if not worse.

Also when talking about slicing I think you'll find people only seem to be talking about purples and I am beginning to find there very well be more profit in some crafting skills not purple items i.e. bioanalysis which I'm going to level up after finally getting biochem leveled and realizing how ridiculously expensive materials are. There is next to no profit margin in Biochem if you buy mats unlike other another crafting skills I take where I can easily make 2-4x profit depending on the item I'm making. Also blue/red polychromics from archaeology and some tiers of the artifact fragments get nice coin too at 2K+ each.

There is more to the whole crafting for profit thing that just asking on a forums for everyones flavor of the month favourite. My advice is use the torhead website and start research materials/craftable items etc. vs the cost they go for on the GTN vs the cost missions can be bought for also if you want guaranteed purples or big drops etc.

MeNaCe-NZ, you are absolutely right.

the fact of the matter is that we crew skill experts are experts because we have invested time and resources into working crew skills. And while we are willing to reveal some of our wisdom, we will never reveal it all. And what we do reveal is most often common knowledge anyway (things like Slicing and UWT are good mission skills because there is high demand for those materials).

But as my guide points out market watching is important and sometimes you can find a niche that few are filling and rake in the credits by filling it. And sometimes one finds that too many have followed the advice on the forums and generally good markets are flooded.

Edited by psandak

Yes I often find myself on the same conundrum of do I reveal some of the things I've picked up myself at the risk of killing the market I enjoy if everyone were to take it up vs actually being helpful which is more or less why I do recommend people do their own research as much as possible first up.

I mean everyone has access to TORHead website and the GTN to look up prices etc. so no excuse for them not to.

I often wonder though how many people truly understand how everything to do with crafting/gathering/reverse engineering/schematics/GTN/marketing etc. etc. works before they come and ask what crew skills to take. It's really important people get the concepts down first and then work from there on what is best.

I know on my main that is still my most profitable I took 3 crew skills that complimented each other mostly to craft things for myself as I was new to MMO's and didn't think I would be too interested in the whole marketing thing. As time went on though and I found myself making easy credits as I leveled up as well as gear for myself my interest surged and now I really enjoy it, one of my more enjoyable aspects of the game in fact.

Even now I'm still finding new things and areas to evolve into as I finally decided to start making extra toons ( mostly for story ) so thus get new crew skills to play with and realising also how much bad information is out there around certain crew skills etc. but oh well - means I can at least work the markets even more. :)