Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

People moving around bosses (and sometimes any target)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
People moving around bosses (and sometimes any target)

ElZaguero
06.05.2020 , 01:04 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Kolto usage is also a pet peeve of mine, so let's clear up a few things:
- most importantly, a kolto gives a instant large health boost to the person that uses it, and only a lesser HoT to the rest of the group.
As politely as possible, your description does not entirely agree with my personal experience of how Kolto Stations work in Veteran FP.

Now, I have felt for a long time that Kolto doesn't always work the same. We all know that there are two different styles of Kolto Stations - there are the old clicky-clicky ones, and the new ones in FP's such as Meridian, which only require that you run within the little circle to activate them.

But now I am wondering if different FP's have different Kolto effects, or perhaps there are differences between MM and Vet?

MagicTerror
06.05.2020 , 02:44 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
The bottom line is that in Veteran FPs, there may be no healer, and no one is required to act like one. Each person - even a tank - is responsible to look after their own health and to use a kolto when needed.
On many occasions, I've been on my way to use a kolto and some 'helpful' player will click it just before I get there and therefore steal the instant boost I need, often resulting in my corpse lying oh so close to the kolto. 🙂
Which is exactly why I agree with the previous posts that some Vet Mode fights, such as Manaan, are poorly made as Vet Modes. Half the time you're forced to completely abandon the careful positioning the game requires to go click a kolto for yourself if you're the one the boss is tunneling. 4 dps are going to have a terrible time doing some of these bosses because the devs were lazy and decided to just plant panic buttons for new players to waste rather than do actual work of editing fight numbers and scaling stats to be fair to the group composition in some way. I mean a free raid buff reusable medpack with a short CD would have been a much better ability to give players in Vet instances than dropping kolto stations on faraway edges of the map.

jedimasterjac
06.05.2020 , 03:46 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by MagicTerror View Post
Which is exactly why I agree with the previous posts that some Vet Mode fights, such as Manaan, are poorly made as Vet Modes. Half the time you're forced to completely abandon the careful positioning the game requires to go click a kolto for yourself if you're the one the boss is tunneling. 4 dps are going to have a terrible time doing some of these bosses because the devs were lazy and decided to just plant panic buttons for new players to waste rather than do actual work of editing fight numbers and scaling stats to be fair to the group composition in some way. I mean a free raid buff reusable medpack with a short CD would have been a much better ability to give players in Vet instances than dropping kolto stations on faraway edges of the map.
Or they could have just maintained traditional group composition. I am convinced that the role-agnostic queueing we see in vet FPs is largely responsible for the huge amount of players who have absolutely no clue what to do in MMFPs.

If the goal of vet is to teach mechanics, then they need to actually be able to see, comprehend, and react to them; at present, you can't, because your focus as a dps with boss aggro is to not get crushed.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

DarkTergon
06.05.2020 , 08:22 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
Or they could have just maintained traditional group composition. I am convinced that the role-agnostic queueing we see in vet FPs is largely responsible for the huge amount of players who have absolutely no clue what to do in MMFPs.

When they had it like that, too many people complained that they couldn't get a que pop. Too many dps, not enough tanks, or heals, etc. No idea if that was the reason it was changed, but I can't see it going back.
You know you can't fix an idiot, turns out you can't quarantine them either!!!
Feel free to click the link and get all the usual goodies
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

jedimasterjac
06.05.2020 , 08:29 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
When they had it like that, too many people complained that they couldn't get a que pop. Too many dps, not enough tanks, or heals, etc. No idea if that was the reason it was changed, but I can't see it going back.
I know it won't go back, but that doesn't mean I don't hate it with every fibre of my being.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

DarkTergon
06.05.2020 , 08:31 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
I know it won't go back, but that doesn't mean I don't hate it with every fibre of my being.
I agree with you, I liked the roles, groups ran better, smoother, well most of the times
You know you can't fix an idiot, turns out you can't quarantine them either!!!
Feel free to click the link and get all the usual goodies
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

JediQuaker
06.06.2020 , 07:30 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by MagicTerror View Post
Which is exactly why I agree with the previous posts that some Vet Mode fights, such as Manaan, are poorly made as Vet Modes. Half the time you're forced to completely abandon the careful positioning the game requires to go click a kolto for yourself if you're the one the boss is tunneling. 4 dps are going to have a terrible time doing some of these bosses..
I gather you must be a Tank, given your mention of 'careful positioning'. There isn't really any 'positioning' in VM Manaan that precludes you from running to a kolto station. I know quite well that proper positioning is important in MM, but it's not so important in VM. VM is not only easier than MM, it's also a bit different. 🙂

I can assure you that Manaan is perfectly doable with 4 dps, if they know what they're doing. And after having done VM Manaan and other FPs many times with just 4 Dps**, it's a bit amusing to have a tank come in thinking they're god's gift to FPs, demanding that someone heal them, etc. 🙂

P.s. For the record, let me (again) say that overall, I prefer the standard "trinity". I find it much more fun. I enjoy the better sense of teamwork, the more interesting mechanics, etc. However, VM flashpoints are designed to be doable by any group, and therefore, don't "require" any particular group formation.

** or 3 Dps + a healer, or 2 dps + 2 healers, etc, etc - basically, any combo you can think of.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV