Let me pay for 2x XP

StrikePrice

Though that is a great idea I think that might be harder to do that expected.

Every time we get Double EXP the devs have mentioned that it requires a Patch to turn on and the amount of time is set by the patch. That would make me think that it is something that is Hard Coded to be server wide and can not be changed without major rewrite of the game code. If that is even possible.

Every time we get Double EXP the devs have mentioned that it requires a Patch to turn on and the amount of time is set by the patch. That would make me think that it is something that is Hard Coded to be server wide and can not be changed without major rewrite of the game code. If that is even possible.

They have 25% xp boosts you can already purchase, so a purchasable 2x token is definitely doable.

Double XP makes the game much more fun for me. You should add 2x XP items to the cartel shop or let me pay an extra $5 on my sub per month to get 2x XP. Thanks!

Why don't you just buy the Outlander Token (**) that boosts your character to level 70?

Then there's no need to worry about XP rates at all.

EDIT - ** Opps, I was thinking of the Masters Datacron, not the Outlander token.

Edited by JediQuaker

Why don't you just buy the Outlander Token (?) that boosts your character to level 70?

Then there's no need to worry about XP rates at all.

I'll tell you exactly why. I've done that a couple of times, it only works well for classes and specs I already know how to play. For example, if I have a lethality operative already, I can boost a ruffian scoundrel no problem. But, for classes and specs I don't know how to play, jumping into 70 is very difficult. I'd rather progress through the class quickly but one step at a time.

If they allow people to buy 2x XP, they had darn well better allow me to buy 0.5x XP as well. I don't think I should have to pay for that, but I would still buy it in a heartbeat if it were available.

I'll tell you exactly why. I've done that a couple of times, it only works well for classes and specs I already know how to play. For example, if I have a lethality operative already, I can boost a ruffian scoundrel no problem. But, for classes and specs I don't know how to play, jumping into 70 is very difficult. I'd rather progress through the class quickly but one step at a time.

I don't quite understand what you're saying here. Perhaps I have the wrong token in mind. .....

Oops, I meant the Masters Datacron. The MD just boosts your character to 70 with not skipping of content.

Edited by JediQuaker

I mean, the class progression now is already ridiculously fast.

As a developer, this is still completely baffling that something like double-XP is hardcoded and requires a patch to turn on and off.

Considering how fast you can level now, also the now normal XP rate is 8 times what it was when I first started playing (remember the x12 rate? well after that it went to x8 which is what it now is) I hope double XP tokens never happen. I know full well that players that want it will then still want a double XP event and then yet again ask for a new extra speed rate on top of the double rate been asked for here because of that double xp rate. How do I know? well because you are already asking for it here despite that XP is 8 times what it was..

I like double xp events sure but they should remain special events.

I agree, it's a slippery slope to "push button, reach level cap" or "push button, go up a Renown level." At what point does the nature of things like this defeat certain aspects of the game? Already the game has been "streamlined" to make everything but class missions optional, which had the unintended effect of newer players thinking it was optional to learn their class and spec before participating in group content. Devs have to keep in mind the unintended consequences of major changes. This would definitely be a major change, and everything has unintended consequences.

I think "pay for double XP" is asking for too much. What XP is currently without double XP is ridiculously high enough. Do you guys in favor of this idea even want to play the game? Pushing buttons and getting stuff in return is basically a slot machine that you win at with every pull.

Double XP is a special event. This idea would cheapen that greatly.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

As a developer, this is still completely baffling that something like double-XP is hardcoded and requires a patch to turn on and off.

CAVEAT LECTOR: I have been a developer more than long enough to have colleagues younger than my career.

There was an explanation somewhere that makes it less nonsensical. Apparently, it turns on and off by hard-coded parameters rather than loaded-from-configuration parameters, and they can, therefore, only update the parameters by updating the code. It's easy to see *how* it ended up like that, but less easy to see why *they* put up with it.

If you asked me for my thoughts on that, I'd point firmly at "well, it works and we don't often have double XP, and in fact we have double XP less often than we have patches, so let's leave it alone and not break it" as a big part of the reason. It's only when we have oddities like the BBA week that broke that we really see the downsides of that approach.