Your thoughts on the Legacy System?

Lord_Zophar

With the release of 1.2 on Thursday, and for those who have gotten to mess around with the Legacy System prior to in the test server, what are your thoughts on it?

I watched the podcast about it maybe a week or so ago and was very excited for it. It seemed like a very ambitious project to implement into an MMO and to this day I don't think I've really seen a system even remotely close. The linking of characters together is a nice touch, but personally, am I the only one who seems a tad disappointed with the final result?

I don't know about anyone else, but I was personally hoping to be able to link my characters in more of a web as opposed to single line connections. For example, My assassin being the lover/spouse of my warrior, but also the rival of my jedi. More complicated relationships like that which create a more intricate family tree than what's been given to us. Furthermore, it seems like there's some really silly restrictions on the relationship connections too.

I admittedly wanted to make a bounty hunter on the sith side and have him be a rival to another of my empire characters, but it wouldn't let me add that toon as anything BUT a child or an adopted child.

Perhaps I'm asking for a little much, especially considering 1.2 just went live the other day, but I'd love to hear someone else's input. Is it what you expected? What would you see changed or added?

I have to say, I agree. I had sketched out a whole web of allies and rivals, but since all the relationships that are not parent/child are on the same horizontal level, it's limited to two. That seems like an odd choice, since, other than some gray hair, it's difficult to differentiate ages on our characters anyway. Making a three-generation family tree seems silly when everyone looks like they're roughly the same age.

Why can't my jedi knight be my sith warrior's brother, my sith inquisitor's enemy, my jedi consular's ally and my trooper's ally? Why can't my imperial agent get along with my sith warrior, my bounty hunter and my smuggler but be the mortal enemy of my trooper?

Don't get me wrong, I think the legacy system in general was a great addition. But I think some of the choices are too confining. It just means I won't be using the enemies and allies feature. While that doesn't affect any actual gameplay, it does mean that the weird limitations built into the way it was coded makes it a wasted effort, at least for me.

Edited by PresentTense

There is only one thing in the entire legacy system that interests me and that is the shared buff, and the XP gain stuff that hasn't been added.

I think since I started playing SWTOR I've used the Heroic ability 3 times across all of my characters.

I'm kind of disappointed with the current implementation but, I see this as a start to something much much better. I'm hoping that later on those intricate webs can be woven with not only our characters but, our companions as well. For example, I took Mako's affection chain to its end and we ended up married. Since that first 2 weeks I haven't gotten jack from her though but, that's a whole different thread. Back on topic, I can't add her as my BH's wife at all (at least that I can see.) I also created my only Republic character last night and played her to lvl 4 or 5. I as well wanted to add her in as a rival to some of my Imperials but alas, there is no option for that.

Again, its a bit weak now. However, I see this as a beginning to a system that may see itself implemented in all future (or current since another unnamed mmo usually ganks systems from others) mmos. It's really a brilliant idea, to me, system for those of us that are altoholics (as I am.) Something that has a lot of possibilities for features in the future, both near and far.

I figured out the rival system but, there still remains no way that I can find to add companions in the family trees. Hopefully that is something added later. Especially for those that don't usually create a bunch of alts.

Not impressed with Legacy.

90% fluff/vanity items.

the only useful thing IMO was the unlocks for races playing otherwise unavailable classes.

Oh well. Doesn't really matter any longer to me. /unsubscribed and due to timeout soon.

Shadomen

I figured out the rival system but, there still remains no way that I can find to add companions in the family trees. Hopefully that is something added later. Especially for those that don't usually create a bunch of alts.

I know they have discussed adding other players to your legacy. They are working on that they said so maybe for the ones that want to add the companions they can do that also.

I just would like the ability to add friends to mine especially the one my jedi is married to.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Legacy system is pretty fun. There are some things that could be expanded on (more relationship mappings, the ability to not have things in lines, the ability to multi-map) but this is definitely a good start.

Some of the unlocks are expensive, but not prohibitively so for people who want them. The buff sharing is nice.

Sounds like I'm not as insane as I might have thought originally. I was kind of worried that I was expecting a bit too much from the system, but it seems as if at least a few others agree to an extent. Its true though that it's a great first start, I'm looking forward to seeing how/what else they change with it in the future