Scheduled Maintenance: June 12th, 2013 [UPDATED 6:45AM PDT]

AmberGreen

Sometimes I really don't think Bioware knows the purpose of the test server. The test server is used to find bugs isn't it?

Sometimes I really don't think that the players know the purpose of the test server. The purpose of the test server is to do load analysis, usage studies, and group behavior analysis. You do your bug hunting in closed beta where the testers actually know how to find/report bugs.

Weren't these bugs reported before today?

Probably. Do you know how long it takes to fix bugs? Sometimes it takes more than one day. Sometimes, you work right up to the deadline to get bugs fixed. Sometimes, there are other bugs that need to be fixed more than other bugs. In most cases, the bugs are fixed days before release, but need to pass through testing first.

The test server was taken down 5 days ago. That wasn't enough time to fix the bugs and test the new code?

Did you not read the report? It wasn't the bug fixes that caused the problem, but the final build and how it gets deployed to clients (aka: "the update"). They can't test the final update until... all of the code is completed, tested, build and packaged. As I explained before: How early do you want them to package up the final updater? Every extra day you want it to sit around is extra days of bugs that don't get fixed.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn I was really excited for server transfers tomorrow.

But I guess it's better than putting a buggy patch live, especially with transfers. No one wants to get to a new server only to find their bank is gone and they have no pants.

Edited by EnzoForMe

The pve guilds nightmare was meant for, the ones that have barely been holding together/been slowly leaking members for 2 months while they wait for this content, are upset that it get delayed 18h before it's released (with no indication as to the length of the delay) and the trolls just reply "oh well, shouldn't have counted on things coming out as promised a month ago and as tested weeks ago"? We're upset because 1) we've been bored with the content in-game since the second week of the expansion and we were looking forward to something "new", and 2) every time these things get pushed back more of our guild members quit.

If we were told on Friday it was likely these bugs would delay the release, we would still be unhappy (we wanted this instance a month ago), but there would be a lot less complaining.

Edited by namesaretough

Hey folks,

A bit of bad news. We were working on getting some last minute bug fixes into Game Update 2.2 and unfortunately while implementing them it created a bit of an unstable Game Update. Because of this, we are going to be delaying Game Update 2.2 while we work on correcting it. I do not have an ETA at the moment but I will give you more information once I have it. Amber will also be updating the maintenance messaging shortly.

-eric

Let me offer you some advice. Never announce a final release date AND maintenance date for content WITHOUT having it fully tested. In other words, your team had a few things to fix but you announced maintenance for the implementation of the patch. Now, it can't go live because there are more bugs. All of hte progression guilds that took time out of other things to play on Tuesday are SOL. It is one thing to tell us you are shooting for a specific date (we like this). It is another thing entirely to schedule a huge progression content update and then postpone it less then 24hours before because you never finished working on it and the finishing touches broke it.

Personally I can go on and on and on to rant and rage about the poor business model that is being displayed, the lack of forethought and the utter disgust with the direction this game is going. But, I think we all are in the same boat. The Cartel Market can only sustain this game for so long.

The progression guilds our being pushed away now. The content is easy (for us). We have a short 8 hour window to compete against each-other for world firsts. We have to schedule 16 people who have jobs, take time off, let our families know we are dead to the world just to have the fun we enjoy in this game. Then we spend months farming it and board out of our brains. I know we are a small crowed; but our guilds, our subs, our Cartel Market Purchases contribute. Once we are gone, there is no one to fill that gap. PvPers are already upset and trickling off. Those guilds are dying. It is like each portion of the SWTOR community is being target and alienated. Before long there won't be anyone left to pay the bills.

TL;DR:

1) Never Schedule a patch maintenance and update without it actually being finished (bad business practice to do it any other way).

2) It is ok (and GREAT) to tell us a date you are shooting for, for the release of something.

3) Before long, there will not be enough people playing the game to support it, if management keeps being handled in a poor fashion.

This delay really couldn't have been surprising to anyone...could it??

They've been very clear that the release dates are TARGET dates, as in not carved into stone and dropped from on high. I get that it's inconvienent to have taken off work in order to enjoy a new patch, but delays of new patches happen so often in mmos, in general, and swtor, in particular, that this cannot be a surprising situation. I'm glad that 1) they're being clear about the delay and why and 2) that they're not releasing an unstable patch in order to hit an arbitrary date. I'd take this experience to heart and plan for there to be delays the next major patch as well - this is pretty much par for course.

Could you at least tell us if the patch is planned for this coming raid week? Assuming NiM shares the lockout with hard mode, it would be cool to know if we should save our TFB runs this week for eventual NiM attempts or if we can go into hard mode for the week.

Thanks.

To clarify two points in the thread. Although I don't have exact timing yet, Game Update 2.2 will not be tomorrow (6/11) at all. The maintenance is delayed past tomorrow.

As for the specific bug. What we needed to fix were some critical bugs inside of the the new Nightmare Mode Operation, which would need to be fixed before the Update went live. Upon implementing those fixes the Game Update itself became unstable. That is what we are working through now.

Hope that gives a bit of insight.

-eric

Eric,

'presh on the communication. i'm usually in game more than i am here, but it seems you guys are doing much better lately.

can you clarify if server transfers have to be postponed as well?

thanks again!

Cy

This delay really couldn't have been surprising to anyone...could it??

They've been very clear that the release dates are TARGET dates, as in not carved into stone and dropped from on high. I get that it's inconvienent to have taken off work in order to enjoy a new patch, but delays of new patches happen so often in mmos, in general, and swtor, in particular, that this cannot be a surprising situation. I'm glad that 1) they're being clear about the delay and why and 2) that they're not releasing an unstable patch in order to hit an arbitrary date. I'd take this experience to heart and plan for there to be delays the next major patch as well - this is pretty much par for course.

Um, yeah........the target date that was released (11th) was a target date and we knew this. When they posted that there will be maintenance on the 11th and 2.2 will be deployed......................that was an official released date. It was very *unlucky* for them to not have the patch actually FINISHED when they gave the official release date. This is bad business management, nothing more nothing less. When a business is managed badly, it fails.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I wanted to give you an update on Paid Character Transfers since I know you have been curious about it with the delay of 2.2. Unfortunately, we have come across some bugs that are present with Character Transfers, specifically around Achievements. We definitely want to insure that we are providing the best service possible when you pay to transfer your character.

Know that unlike Game Update 2.2, fixing this is a bit more involved and so Paid Character Transfers will no longer be launching with 2.2. This is entirely subject to change as we work through it, but the next likely launch target is 2.2.1. I apologize for the delay on this, I know many of you were looking forward to transferring your characters this week. We will get it out as soon as we can!

-eric

Hey folks,

I wanted to give you an update on Paid Character Transfers since I know you have been curious about it with the delay of 2.2. Unfortunately, we have come across some bugs that are present with Character Transfers, specifically around Achievements. We definitely want to insure that we are providing the best service possible when you pay to transfer your character.

Know that unlike Game Update 2.2, fixing this is a bit more involved and so Paid Character Transfers will no longer be launching with 2.2. This is entirely subject to change as we work through it, but the next likely launch target is 2.2.1. I apologize for the delay on this, I know many of you were looking forward to transferring your characters this week. We will get it out as soon as we can!

-eric

/cry

:(

Hey folks,

-eric

Disappointing, very disappointing, but, as I said in a prior post, not unexpected. This is par for course.

Hey folks,

-eric

not what i wanted to hear, but still i appreciate the update. i'm a 'chievement hound so i definitely don't want all the work i've done to be lost.

thanks again eric, 'presh!

Cy

Hey folks,

-eric

OMG it's the end of the world.....run for the hills! Hilarity will ensue!

And there it is...

At least with this update from developers they want to make paid character transfers fully stable so that when they take your money your not screaming bloody murder because they took your money and released a flawed character transfer system

EDIT: "ZOMG BW GIVE ME CHARACTER TRANSFERS NAOW!

character transfers released with bugs

"ZOMG BW YOU TOOKS MY MONIES AND CHARACTER TRANSFERS ARE BUUUUGGGGED RAGE"

or

Character transfers delayed so that they can make it seamless

"ZOMG BW WE WANT CHARACTER TRANSFERS NAOW!!!!!! YOU SUX CUZ EEET IZ DELAYED"

Edited by Spyderwraith

Hey folks,

-eric

Let the looting pillaging and burning commence! :hope_01:

As a side note, I'm shocked; really, I am :rak_03:

Hey folks,

-eric

Did you guys seriously wait until coming in to work today to try patching for NiM TFB and Server transfers??? WTH have you been doing the last few weeks??? Were you too busy playing WoW??

Edited by ArissArgile