Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The reason Sorcerers/Sages are OP in PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The reason Sorcerers/Sages are OP in PvP

TetraCleric's Avatar


TetraCleric
02.12.2012 , 02:01 PM | #511
Quote: Originally Posted by Varicite View Post
Did that healing not also mitigate the damage of every other player on his team?

And as the other dps classes have a much higher single-target damage capability, does this not also mean that healing more effectively counters the sustained damage of a Sorc as opposed to the burst damage of others?

Your argument of: "If you do well against Sorcs, you just don't know how to play them" is ridiculous at best.

Also, for hard counters, see: Sentinel/Shadow.
What? I know Sorc/Sage has a hard counter. But they don't hard counter anything, other than maybe a sniper/gunslinger. I'm saying if you don't think a Sentinel/Shadow is a hard counter to Sorc/Sage, then you don't know how to play Sentinel/Shadow.

As for the damage, yea of course it did. But as the hybrid spec is all about AoE, it's more likely that the damage the Sorc was doing was mitigated by the healing because they aren't pumping out back to back to back crits over 3k. But every 6 seconds they have a 5 person AoE for 3.5k+ and then every 15 seconds a 3 person AoE for 3k+. So that damage is more easily mitigated by the healing, than say a Marauder doing 3-4k crits back to back to back.

Jurence's Avatar


Jurence
02.12.2012 , 02:03 PM | #512
I do not support the argument that a hybrid sorcerer is only powerful in terms of AOE. This is where we get our numbers from, but I am more than able to handle myself effectively 1v1.

Dregas's Avatar


Dregas
02.12.2012 , 02:04 PM | #513
Varicite...a sentinel and Operatives for hard counters...really man? Every "counter" strategy you have stated takes time. And how is a melee supposed to get in there and actually do dmg when you have to save your gap closer for sprint. Good luck running up to him while you are getting lightning slowed and doing 0 dmg because you can't get in range. AND when you finally make it, there is that wonderful bubble to get though, not to mention more stuns or a whirlwind if he doesn't want to be bothered. By the time I have done all this another friend of the sorcs has come to add onto the attacking dps and my window has closed. Most likely the sorcs bubble is still up.

Everything you say sounds so simple on paper, but the current game mechanics don't make it so.

TetraCleric's Avatar


TetraCleric
02.12.2012 , 02:04 PM | #514
Quote: Originally Posted by Jurence View Post
I do not support the argument that a hybrid sorcerer is only powerful in terms of AOE. This is where we get our numbers from, but I am more than able to handle myself effectively 1v1.
Against who? I can destroy bad players too, but put me in a 1v1 against a good shadow/assassin, or a sent/mar, and they will eat me apart because they have higher burst.

Jurence's Avatar


Jurence
02.12.2012 , 02:08 PM | #515
Quote: Originally Posted by TetraCleric View Post
Against who? I can destroy bad players too, but put me in a 1v1 against a good shadow/assassin, or a sent/mar, and they will eat me apart because they have higher burst.
The only class that I have trouble with is an operatives if Unbreakable Will is on CD.

Assassins should not be a problem.
Against an assassin you have as leverage: Electric Bindings w/ overload, Shock, Force Slow.

Force speed w/ force slow will give you good leverage against any melee.

You should be able to take out any sniper 1v1 as well if you are decent.

As for how you can take out all other classes individually ... if you pay me to teach you I'll gladly do it. But otherwise, top PVPrs don't share their techniques freely.

TetraCleric's Avatar


TetraCleric
02.12.2012 , 02:12 PM | #516
Quote: Originally Posted by Jurence View Post
The only class that I have trouble with is an operatives if Unbreakable Will is on CD.

Assassins should not be a problem.
Against an assassin you have as leverage: Electric Bindings w/ overload, Shock, Force Slow.

Force speed w/ force slow will give you good leverage against any melee.

You should be able to take out any sniper 1v1 as well if you are decent.

As for how you can take out all other classes individually ... if you pay me to teach you I'll gladly do it. But otherwise, top PVPrs don't share their techniques freely.
Snipers and Gunslingers are by far the easiest class to counter, I'll give you that.

As for assassins, even Force Slow won't do anything if they are spec'd right. If I'm stunned during my Force Speed, thats a wasted CD. If they are Madness and root me during a Force Speed, thats another wasted CD, as they still have a stun up. And tank spec'd Assassins? They can just pull you back into range and then stun you as they burst you down. Perhaps you've never played against an actually good assassin.

I don't need lessons from some random on these forums, and that's all I'll say about your "top PvP" claim.

Smashbrother's Avatar


Smashbrother
02.12.2012 , 02:18 PM | #517
Quote: Originally Posted by YMIHere View Post
It counts for healing, and I agree.
It SHOULD count towards healing. I don't have a problem with that. But they can also get medals for "preventing damage to allies", which should be something only tanks with guard and taunts can do.



Quote:
It does break on damage, but only after 2 seconds. This is a death sentence in the fires of huttball though, at least for me.
2 seconds stuck in place is eternity for a melee class. It can be the difference between getting a kill or not, or stopping that heal from going off. It's OP.

Jurence's Avatar


Jurence
02.12.2012 , 02:24 PM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by TetraCleric View Post
As for assassins, even Force Slow won't do anything if they are spec'd right. If I'm stunned during my Force Speed, thats a wasted CD. If they are Madness and root me during a Force Speed, thats another wasted CD, as they still have a stun up. And tank spec'd Assassins? They can just pull you back into range and then stun you as they burst you down. Perhaps you've never played against an actually good assassin.
-Don't force speed unless your resolve bar is full.
-You are dramatically overestimating the likelihood of electrocute being used. Most assassins use electrocute earlier in the fight so that they can continue dumping all they can on you while you're still close. The good ones will save it for a strategic use.
-1v1 against tank specced assasins in my experience don't have the damage output to be a problem for me.

Varicite's Avatar


Varicite
02.12.2012 , 02:25 PM | #519
Quote: Originally Posted by TetraCleric View Post
What? I know Sorc/Sage has a hard counter. But they don't hard counter anything, other than maybe a sniper/gunslinger. I'm saying if you don't think a Sentinel/Shadow is a hard counter to Sorc/Sage, then you don't know how to play Sentinel/Shadow.

As for the damage, yea of course it did. But as the hybrid spec is all about AoE, it's more likely that the damage the Sorc was doing was mitigated by the healing because they aren't pumping out back to back to back crits over 3k. But every 6 seconds they have a 5 person AoE for 3.5k+ and then every 15 seconds a 3 person AoE for 3k+. So that damage is more easily mitigated by the healing, than say a Marauder doing 3-4k crits back to back to back.
Oh oh oh, I took your statements to mean the exact opposite of what you were going for. Please forgive me.

I agree wholeheartedly.
Quote: Originally Posted by JayPres View Post
Strap your digital dog to your digital roof and take your ideologies, lovely wife, and sweet little 8yr old girl to a PVE server where you fit best.

Varicite's Avatar


Varicite
02.12.2012 , 02:30 PM | #520
Quote: Originally Posted by Jurence View Post
I do not support the argument that a hybrid sorcerer is only powerful in terms of AOE. This is where we get our numbers from, but I am more than able to handle myself effectively 1v1.
Could you stand toe to toe w/ a Marauder, Pyrotech, Assassin, or Scoundrel w/out the CC provided from your spec?

That's the real question.
Quote: Originally Posted by JayPres View Post
Strap your digital dog to your digital roof and take your ideologies, lovely wife, and sweet little 8yr old girl to a PVE server where you fit best.