Unscheduled Maintenance - August 20th

EricMusco

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Transcendent on this one. I find it difficult to believe that the in-game currency loss can't be made up by doing one 2 minute heroic on any planet (and there are plenty that take only [or less than] 2 minutes).

If indeed the cost is so much, come to my Hutt pleasure palace on Nar Shaddaa. I'll make you forget all your pain. :rak_03:

Dasty the Hutt

P.S. Welcome back Transcendent. Your voice of reason has been missed.

Most 'deposits' are 1k or there abouts, the exception being mounts for some reason, they seem to be the highests, but even so, yes, you are right, a heroic or two, or even the weekly on CZ 198 (15/20 mins work at most) would well make up for it. On a positive note, I just sold some items that were cancelled, for MORE than I put them up before the exploit....lol Thanks Eric ;)

Also.......while my wife's not watching, can you slip me the info on that pleasure palace :rak_03::rak_03::rak_03:

Edited by DarkTergon

Query to the forum: Why I am so brilliant? :rak_03:

Does it have to do with the amount of martinis you've been drinking lately? :rak_02:

(Should we be worried about your recent spree?)

Ontopic: I'm glad that they fixed it. However, as others pointed out, this has been going on for quite some time. BW's reaction time cannot be praised and I find it worrying. It's not the first time they waited too long either. Makes me once again think that there is never a learning effect occuring at BW Austin.

I smirked a little bit when I thought about the defenders in that other, now deleted, thread who seriously tried finding excuses for people having thousands of black/black dyes. :p

Does it have to do with the amount of martinis you've been drinking lately? :rak_02:

(Should we be worried about your recent spree?)

Ontopic: I'm glad that they fixed it. However, as others pointed out, this has been going on for quite some time. BW's reaction time cannot be praised and I find it worrying. It's not the first time they waited too long either. Makes me once again think that there is never a learning effect occuring at BW Austin.

I smirked a little bit when I thought about the defenders in that other, now deleted, thread who seriously tried finding excuses for people having thousands of black/black dyes. :p

Well, to show I have some degree of self-awareness...

I was perhaps a quasi-defender in that thread for the following reasons, one which helps my case, the other not so much...

A) As I have readily admitted, I'm not a tech-oriented Hutt. I'm surprised, however, that it took as long as it did to get to the bottom of the situation. This means BW either dropped the ball or the exploit was so sophisticated that it took a lot of investigating -- or both. I was a 'sort of' defender in that BW took no action and it only applied to one kind of item. My recollection is that other exploits were caught much more quickly. My brain couldn't wrap itself around why it went on as long as it did (and still can't).

B) Of course, I was proven correct in that the exploiters couldn't contain their greed and overplayed their hand by applying it to Grand Chace Cubes.

It reminds me of a fabulous Sunday summer brunch with 20 or so friends a few years back. I, naturellement, was the most fashionable Hutt there and was perfectly decked out in Bermuda shorts with a matching pastel Polo having a Vodka Cran -- when suddenly a combo of 10 police / FBI vehicles showed up and hauled away a guest who happened to live there. I'll never forget the lead FBI agent smiling at us as they left when he said, "Now remember, if you're going to embezzle from your employer, skim a little here, skim a little there -- but if you skim half a million in one year, we're gonna find you!"

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Hey everyone,

We are going to be bringing all SWTOR servers offline for a quick maintenance. We expect to be down for approximately one hour. This maintenance is to address an in-game exploit. As a part of what we are doing during this maintenance, players will find that all of their GTN sales have been expired. Once we come back online you will find any GTN sales that you had waiting for you in your mailbox.

With the exploit resolved, we will be conducting a thorough investigation of what has occurred. Once we have completed our review, we'll let you know the status and the actions we have taken.

-eric

Sounds to me like they are finally acting on the black/black dye issue. Lets hope for the best.

My recollection is that other exploits were caught much more quickly. My brain couldn't wrap itself around why it went on as long as it did (and still can't).

Could be for the technical aspect, could be BioWare chose to deliberately let it go on longer to cast the net as wide as possible to ensure they caught as many bad apples as possible prior to removing the ill-gotten gains and players and accounts concerned.

It's also known from previous exploits that players go to great lengths to funnel the credits elsewhere (including but not limited to creating alt accounts / guild banks / new guilds / simply giving credits away to other players) to make the trail harder to track.

I'm sure BioWare would also want to ensure they didn't get innocent players caught up in the clean up operation. These things take time to investigate.

Well, to show I have some degree of self-awareness...

I was perhaps a quasi-defender in that thread for the following reasons, one which helps my case, the other not so much...

A) As I have readily admitted, I'm not a tech-oriented Hutt. I'm surprised, however, that it took as long as it did to get to the bottom of the situation. This means BW either dropped the ball or the exploit was so sophisticated that it took a lot of investigating -- or both. I was a 'sort of' defender in that BW took no action and it only applied to one kind of item. My recollection is that other exploits were caught much more quickly. My brain couldn't wrap itself around why it went on as long as it did (and still can't).

B) Of course, I was proven correct in that the exploiters couldn't contain their greed and overplayed their hand by applying it to Grand Chace Cubes.

It reminds me of a fabulous Sunday summer brunch with 20 or so my friends a few years back. I, naturellement, was the most fashionable Hutt there and was perfectly decked out in Bermuda shorts with a matching pastel Polo having a Vodka Cran -- when suddenly a combo of 10 police / FBI vehicles showed up and hauled away a guest who happened to live there. I'll never forget the lead FBI agent smiling at us as they left when he said, "Now remember, if you're going to embezzle from your employer, skim a little here, skim a little there -- but if you skim half a million in one year, we're gonna find you!"

Dasty

I agree that the time lapse for taking action is something of a puzzle. But .. IMO that is a matter well over my pay grade. And I tend to not criticize those who are in charge ... from time to time. Some times it is warranted ! ( Trust me .. I DO get that !! ).

You are also correct in that those responsible were certainly lacking in intelligence or simply wanted to get caught ! Their greed ... WOW .. no kidding !!

Hopefully no one that purchased said goods on the GTN gets into too much trouble. Many, no doubt, were just looking for a good price on the Black/Black dyes. (I still can't get over what is now defined as a cheap price on the GTN... but that's just the Ol' Buzzard side of things ... If you catch my meaning !)

And for the record .. though we disagree at times .. I really do appreciate your posts !

Could be for the technical aspect, could be BioWare chose to deliberately let it go on longer to cast the net as wide as possible to ensure they caught as many bad apples as possible prior to removing the ill-gotten gains and players and accounts concerned.

It's also known from previous exploits that players go to great lengths to funnel the credits elsewhere (including but not limited to creating alt accounts / guild banks / new guilds / simply giving credits away to other players) to make the trail harder to track.

I'm sure BioWare would also want to ensure they didn't get innocent players caught up in the clean up operation. These things take time to investigate.

Well said !! Agreed !!

This. The service agreement can, from their point of view, be summed up best in one word: "Meh".

(Yes, I know that MMORPG operators do strive to do better than that, but from a legal-recourse point of view, "Meh" is the best we can get.)

Well, actually under consumer law the T&C of any purchase or service contract can NOT trump the basic consumer protections enshrined in law.

Those protections mandate that a Customer can reasonably expect to get exactly what they have been advertised to get: so if we get told 4 Days of Double XP, and because of elective downtime Bioware has delivered less than 4 Days of Double XP there is, at least, the possibility of a claim.

Those same protections also mandate that the Customer can expect to get a product / service that is "fit for purpose". I doubt any court would see a breach of that for a short-window elective interruption to service. But they could for longer term interruptions, or interruptions that the customer had not been reasonably pre-warned about.

Far too many companies would have you believe that you surrender certain protections when you accept their terms and conditions. You don't. There is a baseline level of protection that their terms and conditions can NEVER strip away from you, even if you willingly signed up to them.

All The Best