Developer Blog: Cartel Reputation

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you have max Cartel Reputation what are you supposed to do with your surplus Cartel Market Reputation Trophies?

Generally, I think this is cool and am excited for when I will be able to afford and use the Aratech Eclipse.

Edited by oofalong
more info

What is the Cartel Market Reputation System?

We’ve added the Cartel Market Reputation System as a way of rewarding players who purchase multiple packs within a Shipment. Each Shipment will have its own Reputation track.

Lol, does this mean what I think it does? You're going to have even more of these 'Cartel only' Reputations in future Shipments??????

Have you guys been reading the feedback on this by any chance?

The first one wasn't overly popular and it was released yesterday, you're going to have more in the future? What future ingame reputation systems will subscribers get?

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

The first one wasn't overly popular and it was released yesterday, you're going to have more in the future? What future ingame reputation systems will subscribers get?

apparently they didn't.

money talks bro, money talks /end

So are the Cartel rep trophies and certificates going to be unbound so that they can be bought and sold on the GTN?

From the blog post:

since there are always Credits to be made*

*does not apply to reputation trophies or certificates because it would decrease EA's profits if players could sell these items to other players and not have to buy them for themselves with their own money

Why did you implement a new reputation grind that can only be progressed through paying real money? Why are the rewards for achieving status levels items that already exist in the game in previous cartel packs instead of new items?

I believe the answer to your second question is your first question :p

We’ve added the Cartel Market Reputation System as a way of rewarding players who purchase multiple packs within a Shipment. Each Shipment will have its own Reputation track.

Lol, does this mean what I think it does? You're going to have even more of these 'Cartel only' Reputations in future Shipments??????

They have read them I'm sure They just cant really understand them with the dollar signs in their eyes. It's called the money mind trick.

When cartel packs are not good enough, how else will you entice your gaming community to buy more? F2P players are not buying all that much since $15 a month for the game is really to much for them. So, put that burden on the subscribers cause their $15 is also not enough.

Put in a way to rep grind with your wallet instead of actually playing the game. You know, the way gaming should be. The items gained of course are just fluff so for some, it doesn't really matter except that same mentality is not applied to other fluff rep grinds such as Gree or any of the others that offer fluff items to which I'm sure people would love to pay their way through them. Money is money when it comes to fluff.

Doesn't matter though, the deal has been struck.

Edited by Quraswren

Well, it's probably popular with the people buying the packs, i.e., the people funding/subsidizing the game.

This.

/10Chars

Oh man, if that does happen, that's even slimier than the initial implementation.

I want to note that the design philosophy behind this Reputation was to specifically thank the players who purchase the best-selling items on the Cartel Market, the packs.

I get that but how many times do you want to thank them Eric? Every single shipment of packs?

Can you see how some subscribers may feel about that as you keep pumping out new reputations via the Cartel Market?

There's a 1,000 post thread to read if you're interested...and that was after finding out about the first of these systems and you guys want to keep on 'thanking the cartel pack buyers'?

Aren't the items in the packs enough for the buyers that you have to create more and more reputation systems for them as 'thanks'?

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

Your Cartel Market team is going too far, Bioware.

A new reputation faction each shipment/new pack is clearly over the line. That's at least 50 million credits each shipment/new pack for buying packs to reach max rep for a subscriber.

That's funny. After the uproar the Hutts are causing on Makeb, I'd think that the empire would have vented any cartel representatives out the airlock.

Republic would be a little less... aggressive, but I can't see why they'd tolerate one of their biggest annoyances on their fleets. Who knows what they're up too...

A French maids, foreign chef

A big house, with king size bed

You had enough, you ship 'em out

The dollars up, down, you better buy the pound

The claim is on you

The sights are on me

So what do you do, that's guaranteed

Hey little girl

You break the laws

You hustle, you deal, you steal from us all

Come on come on, lovin' for the money

Come on come on, listen to the Moneytalk

Come on come on, lovin' for the money

Come on come on, listen to the Moneytalk

Moneytalks

Moneytalks

B.S. Walks

Moneytalks

-----------------------------------------------------

Anyone else seeing this verse from AC/DC "Money Talks"? Just sayin'

All these skinners box rep grinds should be deemed illegal and those who implement them shunned forever from the gaming industry. What happened to the creative juice that fueled early MMO development?

Dear Bioware,

I think you guys are going a little too far with these reputation grinds in cartel packs. I get that you want to put "less suck" and more tangible rewards into the cartel packs. They're popular items, and the people that are buying them are putting money back into this game's development.

I feel like it's just too much, though. The idea that one reputation system through real money purchases offer things I have limited access to was annoying enough, now I can look forward to a ton more of these things coming out constantly? I don't imagine a very large percentage of people have the funds to keep buying these packs. Therefore, this is catering to a very small elite of people who have a lot of extra income. Being able to buy these on the GTN isn't an ideal solution, either. amount of credits that one has to spend on multiple packs and multiple reputation is exhausting just to think about.

Please consider some other options. Maybe make the reputation items and certificates tradeable or find another way for people to earn them. I feel like this is clearly going against Damion Schuberts assertion that "the Cartel Market is not THE way to play the game" and that there is equal opportunity and effort to earn items in the game.

So, wait, does this mean that all future reputation systems will only be via the Cartel Market?

Why will each shipment have its own reputation track? That doesn't make any sense, it's going to be hard enough to get the existing one to max (god help if you try, you'll be handing your house over), but then every single reputation track thereafter will require the purchase of Cartel Packs?

I'm disappointed enough that this one didn't have some attached quest content (I never expected it to be released in 1.7.2, more like 1.8 because it would have been a "big thing"), but this? Ugh.

This is the worst thing you have ever done. I am unspeakably disappointed. Unique items that can only be acquired if you (a) pay a ton of money to get rep to access the vendor and (b) pay a ton of money and hope that you RANDOMLY GET a bunch of certificates? And then you repeat this with EVERY PACK? It's worse than Zynga for crying out loud.

I have an idea for a minigame. Sell a golden cow suit in the Cartel Market and when wearing it, players who approach augment tables are suddenly restrained and have a milking apparatus attached. This fills up a tank labelled "EA" with dollar bills, and takes all the user's credits! Then a $200 charge appears on their account. Sounds fun right?

I will never buy Cartel Coins again.

Edited by Telanis

dear bioware,

i think you guys are going a little too far with these reputation grinds in cartel packs. I get that you want to put "less suck" and more tangible rewards into the cartel packs. They're popular items, and the people that are buying them are putting money back into this game's development.

I feel like it's just too much, though. The idea that one reputation system through real money purchases offer things i have limited access to was annoying enough, now i can look forward to a ton more of these things coming out constantly? I don't imagine a very large percentage of people have the funds to keep buying these packs. Therefore, this is catering to a very small elite of people who have a lot of extra income. Being able to buy these on the gtn isn't an ideal solution, either. Amount of credits that one has to spend on multiple packs and multiple reputation is exhausting just to think about.

Please consider some other options. Maybe make the reputation items and certificates tradeable or find another way for people to earn them. I feel like this is clearly going against damion schuberts assertion that "the cartel market is not the way to play the game" and that there is equal opportunity and effort to earn items in the game.

+1 .