Please make tank stats work in PVP

Zooce

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question you should ask is, are tanks bad in PvP? The answer is no. So making stats "work" (ignoring the fact that they already work as intended), would just be a big buff to tanks, and WILL mess with balance.

When people are considered foolish for choosing a set of gear that is specifically designed for them.. I'd say it's not working as intended.

200k maybe if you're in BM going against people in Cent or lower....

I get maybe 150k a game on average, and that's as Champ Vs mostly champs.

Honesty its all going to depend on the shock proc. If that sucker procs for you often... yes you will rack up big numbers fast... and no you don't need fancy gear... just STACK surge like crazy. Use a Surge Relic as well... that spec gives you a AUTO crit shock that will hit for 2.5-3k on most non tank classes... so ya pick on the squishy classes... and if you proc your free cool down auto crit shock 3 or 4 times in a row... and if you get really lucky and 2 or 3 of them have the follow up double shock.... yes you will rack up dmg. Don't forget that in that build your crit chance on your melee should be pretty much 40-45% ALL The time thanks too the explosive strikes skill.. shock is auto criting right :)

With that build 2 pieces of cent gear... and a bunch of PvE gear with purple 50 crit enhancments my thrash will hit for 1100 crits or so on each swing (I would say my avg thrash racks up 1600 or so dmg easy... with the odd one will land both swings and hit for 2200 or so)... and yes it crits all the time... shock is constantly up with an auto crit.

Thash Thrash Shcok Thrash Shock Assassinate... force speed too next squishy looking target. Rinse and Repeat and yes 300k is doable in tank spec.... if you manage your Force Shroud and deflection too avoid Sorc and OP stuns ya you can power through them like nothing.

Sure I'll admit a well played team can shut anyone down... but that is a pretty consistant high dmg tank build. ;)

Edited by Husanak

Honesty its all going to depend on the shock proc. If that sucker procs for you often... yes you will rack up big numbers fast... and no you don't need fancy gear... just STACK surge like crazy. Use a Surge Relic as well... that spec gives you a AUTO crit shock that will hit for 2.5-3k on most non tank classes... so ya pick on the squishy classes... and if you proc your free cool down auto crit shock 3 or 4 times in a row... and if you get really lucky and 2 or 3 of them have the follow up double shock.... yes you will rack up dmg. Don't forget that in that build your crit chance on your melee should be pretty much 40-45% ALL The time thanks too the explosive strikes skill.. shock is auto criting right :)

With that build 2 pieces of cent gear... and a bunch of PvP gear with purple 50 crit enhancments my thrash will hit for 1100 crits or so on each swing... and yes it crits all the time... shock is constantly up with an auto crit.

Thash Thrash Shcok Thrash Shock Assassinate... force speed too next squishy looking target. Rinse and Repeat and yes 300k is doable in tank spec.... if you manage your Force Shroud and deflection too avoid Sorc and OP stuns ya you can power through them like nothing.

Sure I'll admit a well played team can shut anyone down... but that is a pretty consistant high dmg tank build. ;)

It also seems much like DPS gear.....

Considered foolish by who? Subjective arguments don't make your case.

By most people who realize the tanks stats aren't working in PVP... And saying something is "working as intended" without any proof from the devs, doesn't make your case any better than mine.

It also seems much like DPS gear.....

Like I said I'm 50 / 50... and yes I tried to stay away from shield and absorb... I have small amounts of each as I couldn't help it... but there not pointless anyway. I use Dark charge in that build too boost my shield chance when I go up against classes more likely too use builders. (like marauders and sents)... my dark charges too tick against those people so I know my shield is working.

Like I said I'm 50 / 50... and yes I tried to stay away from shield and absorb... I have small amounts of each as I couldn't help it... but there not pointless anyway. I use Dark charge in that build too boost my shield chance when I go up against classes more likely too use builders. (like marauders and sents)... my dark charges too tick against those people so I know my shield is working.

And like I said, a pure tank Gear+stats... Won't hit over 200k, need to mix in some DPS gear/talents to get that, or supremely outgear the people you're killing. =/

And like I said, a pure tank Gear+stats... Won't hit over 200k, need to mix in some DPS gear/talents to get that, or supremely outgear the people you're killing. =/

Yes I guess I would have to concede that... pure tank gear in pvp is likely not a great recipe for wins. Having said that Hybrids rule PvP in pretty much every system I have ever played and if they made shields absorb tech and force attacks... well a build like mine would steam roll everyone geared or not. You don't need to max numbers to get 90% of the effect. That's what make hybrids better in general. (its also why Sorc and Sins catch so much wine) they have the best hybrid friendly trees.

Anyway... point is yes I think we likely agree. :) on the usefulness of the tank gear... I just can't agree that the shield should be made more useful then it is.

Edited by Husanak

This is just dumb. You want to roll a tank for PvP? Go play WoW and see how useless you are except for flag carrying maps for RBG. You will just be ignored and other players focused. You will be killed last and play no advantage to your group. Complaining that every spec should be a PvP spec is just ridiculous. Classes like tanks should have tank spec/PvP spec/Dps spec. Makes it easier for them to keep the gay balanced instead of jumping in and out of hoops trying to please 20% of the population who want this. Every effect on PvP "tanking" effects PvE actually tanking which is what a tank spec is for. Sorry to say tanking isn't made for PvP.

This is just dumb. You want to roll a tank for PvP? Go play WoW and see how useless you are except for flag carrying maps for RBG. You will just be ignored and other players focused. You will be killed last and play no advantage to your group. Complaining that every spec should be a PvP spec is just ridiculous. Classes like tanks should have tank spec/PvP spec/Dps spec. Makes it easier for them to keep the gay balanced instead of jumping in and out of hoops trying to please 20% of the population who want this. Every effect on PvP "tanking" effects PvE actually tanking which is what a tank spec is for. Sorry to say tanking isn't made for PvP.

Tanking is not made for PVP.... Yet there is tank PVP gear, showing at least a minor level of intention on Bioware's part.

And with the absence of dual spec, there's not much choice in spec if you want to PVP and PVE.. Less you respec multiple times a day.

I'm sorry, but you're just dumb. ;)

Ever play Warhammer? Despite what you might think about Bright Wizards or whatever else, they did tanks exactly right.

By most people who realize the tanks stats aren't working in PVP... And saying something is "working as intended" without any proof from the devs, doesn't make your case any better than mine.

Mouse over your stats. Do they say they help mitigate Internal/Elemental? Don't be daft.

Pure tank builds are very bad at 50. 32/7/2 ST is a non factor in PvP. You can't kill anyone to save your life in champion gear+all buffs. Highest hit I ever saw was 2700. I am getting 3.5k hits on me all the time, and in a row. 20k health don't make up for a non-existent damage potential in the tank spec. People ***** about guard and 150-200k damage from tanks. Our damage comes from measly AOE. DFA+missile+flame sweep.

If they're doing 300k, then they're not wearing tank gear, or not tank specced.

full tank specced/geared guardian with mostly champ here, doing 300k damage in warzones occasionally (with good healer(s) that is)

Edited by Bazookahero

I think I have to agree. I have 2 different sets of gear for my main I'm working on collecting right now. Tank gear for PvE and damage gear for PvP. I've tried running WZs in the tank set and I noticed a tiny bit more survivability, but no where close to the boost in damage that my damage set gives me & that's not even changing my AC spec to damage tree. The boost in damage that damage-build characters get negates the defenses you get from tank-build and tank-builds have terrible damage output, especially against better expertise.

I always played a Protection Warrior in PVP. (WoW of course) Upon making my Jedi Guardian I was presuming that the Defense tree would also have a role in PVP. If this is not the case then I am sadly disappointed.

It's awesome in PvP. People who say otherwise aren't using the tools properly. Make Force Stasis an instant from channel? Yes please. Get overloaded on Focus because of shortening the ICD on Soresu form? Absolutely. Full stacks of sunder in 2 GCDs? Yep. More and improved CD's? Oh yeah. An extra stun with good damage? Sure thing. Absorb shield proc from Blade Storm? That's in there too.

No, it's not a burst class. It's a "me and a healer can distract a LOT of people" spec. It's an "isolate people so the team can burst them down" spec. It's got amazing utility and survivability, when used properly. And the damage isn't amazing, but I don't tend to suffer bad 1v1.

The thing is that so many people, at least on my server, are playing Force and Tech ACs in PvP which basically ignores defense/shield stats. The tank gear works okay against weapon-damage classes but against sorcerers or operatives you're dead meat.

Depends on spec, opening, control, and use of interrupts. Ops suck, but they're beatable. Sorcs can cause trouble, but not a terrifying amount.

And of course, when a sniper tries to kill my guardian, I'm doing a lot of giggling.

Some things that annoy me about the guard is you cant cc the tank and go for the guarded target without breaking tank cc, and if you go for the guarded a proper tank would taunt the target (dont think it actually gives points but it helps alot) which makes you have to jump the tank in the first place and he is now able to be healed easily.

Also tank class is like they easiest to get medals with atm even managed 9 medals when i was lvl 14 with my tank.

But i dont feel weak at all and like all classes in the game you do have to die some times, so if they made tank stats work better in pvp it would likely end up making you pretty much immortal and using defensive CD's would at this point be overkill.

Just like operative/scoundrel knockdown is overkill and a big crutch for most players.

Some things that annoy me about the guard is you cant cc the tank and go for the guarded target without breaking tank cc, and if you go for the guarded a proper tank would taunt the target (dont think it actually gives points but it helps alot) which makes you have to jump the tank in the first place and he is now able to be healed easily.

Also tank class is like they easiest to get medals with atm even managed 9 medals when i was lvl 14 with my tank.

But i dont feel weak at all and like all classes in the game you do have to die some times, so if they made tank stats work better in pvp it would likely end up making you pretty much immortal and using defensive CD's would at this point be overkill.

Just like operative/scoundrel knockdown is overkill and a big crutch for most players.

Isolate and focus fire the healer, then crush the suddenly half health tank. Or CC the healer and focus fire the tank. In general, isolate and focus fire. Works wonders. When my premades call for focus fire on someone, I immediately look for the person who starts supporting them, and isolate with knockback and CC. One gets wrecked, followed by the other.