Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Great but i think you would be in the minority (people from south asia with crap pings, that still play on apac servers that want out). Just opening up transfers might suit you fine but would scatter the rest of the community. There will be a paid transfer option in the future regardless of what happens - use that if u want out. Why you chose to play on an APAC server with a worse ping in the first place is a mystery...

Please do not discredit others because of their location, APAC is Asia Pacific and South Asia use to have 100ms pings but that has increased to like 400+ms and having faults between Australia and Asia doesn't help http://advisories.internode.on.net/item/10735/ so it isn't a mystery.

If the population is so dire on MDN doesn't that make MDN the minority ? Maybe the most vocal in this thread but still a minority.(see no different to the above comment) Put the recommendations up but the decision will be made holisticly and you may not see all the factors.

If you think opening up transfers is going to scatter the community, I didn't know that you guys could make so many not want to play with you on a server to the point you have to force them to stay.

No wonder the majority of those that have differing views to those in this thread mostly stay away from it.

The thing about opinions are they are very subjective.

Edited by OwenBrooks

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great but i think you would be in the minority (people from south asia with crap pings, that still play on apac servers that want out). Just opening up transfers might suit you fine but would scatter the rest of the community. There will be a paid transfer option in the future regardless of what happens - use that if u want out. Why you chose to play on an APAC server with a worse ping in the first place is a mystery...

time zones, im am only 3 hrs behiund aussie but more than 9 in EU sooooooooooo. yeah. also i play on a pvp server id like to stay on a pvp server, not pve carebear ville , id be very upset if i was forced into a pve server.

Please do not discredit others because of their location, APAC is Asia Pacific and South Asia use to have 100ms pings but that has increased to like 400+ms and having faults between Australia and Asia doesn't help http://advisories.internode.on.net/item/10735/ so it isn't a mystery.

If the population is so dire on MDN doesn't that make MDN the minority ? Maybe the most vocal in this thread but still a minority.(see no different to the above comment) Put the recommendations up but the decision will be made holisticly and you may not see all the factors.

If you think opening up transfers is going to scatter the community, I didn't know that you guys could make so many not want to play with you on a server to the point you have to force them to stay.

No wonder the majority of those that have differing views to those in this thread mostly stay away from it.

The thing about opinions are they are very subjective.

That Internode problem seems to only be temporary. I'm actually on Dalborra but even this server could do with more players. It's not that people "would not want to play with us" - the issue would be there would be no unified decision so some may think everyone is moving to US servers while others may think everyone is moving to Dalborra. Others might just be too lazy or couldn't be bothered moving at all. Would just end up diluting the population.

I'm not discrediting your opinion i'm merely pointing out that getting transfers rather than a merge just for the sake of those playing in Asia is not a very "holistic" option. Merging the servers then ALSO offering transfers a short time later (so that people can decide whether they would still like to move) would make a greater propitiation of the player base happy

time zones, im am only 3 hrs behiund aussie but more than 9 in EU sooooooooooo. yeah. also i play on a pvp server id like to stay on a pvp server, not pve carebear ville , id be very upset if i was forced into a pve server.

That's a fair point about the time zones. Those that play there would be able to make a decision about whether or not the timezone difference is worth the latency and then transfer off the merged server when able to. WRT pvp - that's based on individual opinions - some would rather sacrifice pvp for a good latency and healthy population.

I'm not saying I don't think transfers are a good idea - they will certainly help more people get the outcome they want. I just think the servers should first be merged, just so everyone can see what its like. Then offer the transfers a month later for those that still aren't enjoying themselves

I'm going to try not retaliate to other posts (hard habit to break :p) as you're right - this thread is meant for the offering suggestions rather than arguing with each others. Would just like people to try come up with suggestions that try to make as many people happy as possible rather than just themselves

Edited by laz_AU

I'm going to try not retaliate to other posts (hard habit to break :p) as you're right - this thread is meant for the offering suggestions rather than arguing with each others. Would just like people to try come up with suggestions that try to make as many people happy as possible rather than just themselves

I know I am also guilty of this as well on occasion and it is hard to break :o

The below is the hard bit as that is the clincher when something affects someone, they will always think of themselves first, it is natural.

"Would just like people to try come up with suggestions that try to make as many people happy as possible rather than just themselves"

Edited by OwenBrooks

What about merging them all and changing the server type every week with the maintenance , 1 week pve 2nd week pvp, and so on. Or if the majority is pve, than make a PVP day. Every monday the server changes to pvp for one day.

just a suggestion! :o

Hey folks! Thank you for all of your suggestions. As I mentioned earlier, we're going to review these and see what we can do. I'll be sure to update when we have anything new. In the meantime, please keep the ideas coming!

Enough with the stall tactics already?

There hasn't been any new ideas on this thread since you last posted.

A bunch of different ways to mix mergers and transfers.

Of course some brilliant guy did come up with the transfers and mergers idea!

Do appreciate the communication, but I'm expecting the warning sign to come on that you see under the fasten seat belt sign, but only in "Airplane" movies . . .

Joveth, c'mon. There hasn't been a new idea for a good 3 months. It's all been said to death... when you made your post, news of it spread like wildfire here. We put it up on our Gav Daragon community page (gav-daragon.enjin.com).

Why am I just now posting this? Because... well, there's no real need to. We're all still watching... just, I imagine, tired of saying the same thing over and over.

Any further posts -- and I mean from anyone in the APAC community is likely to just be for the purpose of bumping this thread... to keep it as a reminder that the issue still persists.

We eagerly wait for progress more than an open ear.

Its been a wile since I last posted in this thread, and thanks Joveth for the updates. And from reading 100+ pages of this thread to catch up I have notice a few things, there is only around 20 people not in favor of the merging of the servers. My personal view (spinikar speaks for the 419) of this issue is this;

1. The people that rerolled on the us servers should have the option for a PAID transfer for their toons.

2. That the mega server should be relocated to give the other APAC players a better ping, I wouldn't mind a small loss of latency to improve the population.

3. Role Play, as a old school pen and paper role player I see the concerns that the role players have. The only reason that I rolled on a PVP server was the guild aspect as I found a good group of people to play with during the squadron 419 beta test other wise I would've rolled on a RP server. The one way to fix the concerns of the role players are BANS and I do mean BANS. I was the first to surgest a role play channel with strick rules. eg if someone is trolling the role play channel you report them for harassment and they get a temp BAN if they do it again they get a longer BAN and a warning, third time PERMA BAN. Some people may resond to this what about them using a second F2P account, the answer fixed IP addreses nearly all ISP provide fix IP's and some that don't the IP doesn't change anyway (cough Telsra) if they get caught trolling with a F2P account all accounts on that IP get the BAN.

Please feel free to comment on this

eg if someone is trolling the role play channel you report them for harassment and they get a temp BAN if they do it again they get a longer BAN and a warning, third time PERMA BAN. Some people may resond to this what about them using a second F2P account, the answer fixed IP addreses nearly all ISP provide fix IP's and some that don't the IP doesn't change anyway (cough Telsra) if they get caught trolling with a F2P account all accounts on that IP get the BAN.

Please feel free to comment on this

I live in a house where 3 people play SWTOR, why should I get perma banned from the game because my house mate decides to troll the RP channel on HIS account? Terrible idea. NEXT!

I live in a house where 3 people play SWTOR, why should I get perma banned from the game because my house mate decides to troll the RP channel on HIS account? Terrible idea. NEXT!

The answer to that is you apeal the ban or report your house mate's main for the trolling/harassment before the perma ban, which as a GM you should be for as that promotes a good playing enviroment.

Edited by SgtKatharn
rewording

The answer to that is you apeal the ban or report your house mate's main for the trolling/harassment before the perma ban, which as a GM you should be for as that promotes a good playing enviroment.

I have a guild to run around a busy life, no thanks. How about they don't bring in such a ludicrous permanent banning rule? Sound good? Okay.

In general I think IP banning isn't practical.

I was told for some Perfect World game that my IP had been used for some kind of bad behaviour, so I couldn't use some of their web services. I had only just started that internet service recently. Some kind of PC ID in combination with other factors would be best.

There has only been 35 submitted surveys so far, mostly from subscribers who play a lot, mostly in Oceania, some in Asia, all playing on APAC or who want to play on APAC.

Here are some of the results at this point:

Playstyle:

Player versus Environment (PvE) . . . . 94.29% . . . . 33

Player verus Player (PvP) . . . . 57.14% . . . . 20

Role Playing (RP) . . . . 34.29% . . . . 12

Opinion on server merges:

For . . . . 82.86% . . . . 29

Against 17.14% . . . . 6

Mixed feelings on transfer, with more people for allowing people to transfer to APAC, or to just one of the APAC servers.

Peoples feelings about the low population:

It hasn't affected my experience/Don't care . . . . 17.14% . . . . 6

It has influenced me to unsubscribe . . . . 8.57% . . . . 3

It has influenced me to play/subscribe . . . . 0% . . . . 0

It has influenced me to re-roll on a non APAC server . . . . 22.86% . . . . 8

It has influenced me to re-roll on an APAC server . . . . 8.57% . . . . 3

It has made me consider unsubscribing . . . . 51.43% . . . . 18

It has made me consider playing/subscribing . . . . 2.86% . . . . 1

It has diminished my enjoyment of the game . . . . 62.86% . . . . 22

It has enhanced my enjoyment of the game . . . . 11.43% . . . . 4

Of course without more input the results don't mean much.

Some may notice cross server group finder isn't on the list. That's because Bioware has stated they are not working on that for US servers, which means they aren't working on it for us, and won't.

Hey folks! Thank you for all of your suggestions. As I mentioned earlier, we're going to review these and see what we can do. I'll be sure to update when we have anything new. In the meantime, please keep the ideas coming!

Please, less fluff more action.

Its been 3 months of solid feedback. This is beyond a joke now ....

The low pop has increased some peoples experience and made them consider subscribing? :rak_02: its an mmo lol

I know! Some people like their MMORPGs not so massive I guess

Another interesting point from the survey so far, half of the people who like RP, also enjoy PVP, and two thirds of them are for a merger.

Edited by Evgen

I know! Some people like their MMORPGs not so massive I guess

Another interesting point from the survey so far, half of the people who like RP, also enjoy PVP, and two thirds of them are for a merger.

:(

No but seriously, low pop servers are a draw card for some people who prefer a close community

But it's not a massive sample to really draw many conclusions from