If a British accent is an Imperial accent (according to Imperial Agent)...

ZettaZonvolt

British accents are used to simulate the accent of the core worlds (Coruscant etc.), that's why Obi-Wan and every other core worlder has it in the films.

In the game, I can only assume that the majority of the sith who fled the galaxy before the war were from the core worlds or wanted to aspire to seem like they were, so that accent dominated their culture.

See Below:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coruscanti

Every actor in the Imperial army from the movies had a british accent exept for one guy the one with a pot on his head controlling the Death star Super laser

Going by memory (in my case, not the strongest Force in the Universe), the officer that Vader force choked (or would have, if GM Tarkin had not intervened) had a US accent, as did just about every Imperial officer encountered by Han/Luke/Leia on the Death Star in Ep.IV., and every intercom voice on the Death Star had an American accent.

The Imperial officer in the first scene of Ep. IV with Vader ("Holding her (Leia) is dangerous, it may generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the Senate") was American.

As far as I know, the only British accent there was Peter Cushing, playing Tarkin. If anything, there were more British accents on the Rebel side.

From Ep.V, there were more British accents on the Imperial side. But I tend to agree - unless you want the foaming-at-the-mouth Jack-Nicholson-in-The-Shining style of menace and fear, British accents do tend to be better for the bad guys than US accents.

Why does everyone keep arguing that Lucas deliberately cast all the Imperials with British accents in the movies? There was an even mix of accents between the two sides. I watched all the movies after Christmas having got them on blu-ray and felt weird having heard all the American accents being sported by many of the Imperials having just played SWTOR.

This Imperial = British and Republic = Americans formula has only just begun with SWTOR. Even in KOTOR, the accents were mixed up.

So Obi Wan was.. french?

Haha must be. There's actually a guild on my server called <Quebec Empire> which is made up of only french speaking Canadians.

Why does everyone keep arguing that Lucas deliberately cast all the Imperials with British accents in the movies? There was an even mix of accents between the two sides. I watched all the movies after Christmas having got them on blu-ray and felt weird having heard all the American accents being sported by many of the Imperials having just played SWTOR.

This Imperial = British and Republic = Americans formula has only just begun with SWTOR. Even in KOTOR, the accents were mixed up.

I think Lucas filmed a lot of the Imperial ship scenes in an England sound stage, so that might explain why a lot of the imperials have British accents.

You guys don't see the American Revolution connection though? An Empire trying to take over the galaxy and these scrappy rebels trying to take them down with limited resources?

Haha must be. There's actually a guild on my server called <Quebec Empire> which is made up of only french speaking Canadians.

I think Lucas filmed a lot of the Imperial ship scenes in an England sound stage, so that might explain why a lot of the imperials have British accents.

You guys don't see the American Revolution connection though? An Empire trying to take over the galaxy and these scrappy rebels trying to take them down with limited resources?

Quebec= WIN

Thinking the original Star Wars was an American Revolution Reenactment =

Self centered to the point of complete and utter ignorance about anything else.There have been SO many revolutions resembling Star Wars 4-6, big and publicized, and small and unknown, Asian, European, American (as in North+South America), Africa etc.

I rest my case.

Quebec= WIN

Thinking the original Star Wars was an American Revolution Reenactment =

Self centered to the point of complete and utter ignorance about anything else.There have been SO many revolutions resembling Star Wars 4-6, big and publicized, and small and unknown, Asian, European, American (as in North+South America), Africa etc.

I rest my case.

I never freaking said it was an "American Revolution Reenactment" just pointing out there are allusions to it.

In the expanded universe, the English 'received pronunciation' accent was called a Coruscanti accent more than a few times. I think it made more sense as a regional accent rather than a factional one. /nitpick

Also, not enough Mandalorians with NZ accents in this game.

• 1 year later...
Well, the British generally pretend they live on an island off the coast of Australia or Canada.

No, we don't. However, we do believe that Europe is situated off our coast rather than the other way around, remember in the early twentieth century after a bad storm we had the headline "Europe cut-off" when the telegraph lines were severed.

British accents in the series aren't really Imperial accents per se, they are Core Worlds accents. Obviously a lot of Imperials are from the Core Worlds, but not all.

That's the usual construction, yeah. Which is why SWTOR is such a screwup on that end, because Dromund Kaas and the rest of Sith space are on the edge of the Outer Rim. Yet the Imps and Sith all have an RP accent or some variant thereof, despite never sniffing the Core.

I mean, it's obvious that the writers of SWTOR wanted to draw parallels between this Sith Empire and Palpatine's Empire, to draw in all of the Imperial fangirls who grew up watching the movies and who thought stormtroopers were the best thing ever. So they gave the Sith Empire basically the same uniforms (even though three and a half millennia separated the two, which is like having modern Chinese generals dress up like warlords from the Shang Dynasty), basically the same accent (even though there's no plausible way for the Sith to have a Core accent), basically the same ship designs (which is kinda like making a movie of the Odyssey where the Greeks sail on miniature Ticonderoga-class cruisers)...you get the idea.

You can't say that they didn't succeed in their goal: this Sith Empire's got as diehard a fan base as Palpatine's Empire ever did, despite the fact that it's infinitely weaker, less competent, and suckier. But they kinda made a hash of canon on the way.

That's the usual construction, yeah. Which is why SWTOR is such a screwup on that end, because Dromund Kaas and the rest of Sith space are on the edge of the Outer Rim. Yet the Imps and Sith all have an RP accent or some variant thereof, despite never sniffing the Core.

I mean, it's obvious that the writers of SWTOR wanted to draw parallels between this Sith Empire and Palpatine's Empire, to draw in all of the Imperial fangirls who grew up watching the movies and who thought stormtroopers were the best thing ever. So they gave the Sith Empire basically the same uniforms (even though three and a half millennia separated the two, which is like having modern Chinese generals dress up like warlords from the Shang Dynasty), basically the same accent (even though there's no plausible way for the Sith to have a Core accent), basically the same ship designs (which is kinda like making a movie of the Odyssey where the Greeks sail on miniature Ticonderoga-class cruisers)...you get the idea.

You can't say that they didn't succeed in their goal: this Sith Empire's got as diehard a fan base as Palpatine's Empire ever did, despite the fact that it's infinitely weaker, less competent, and suckier. But they kinda made a hash of canon on the way.

You're tripping, in 30 years the sith empire has left the republic in shambles, if the republic is infinitely better and more competent how is it they've managed to lose half of the galaxy, and accepted extremely limiting stipulations at the treaty of corruscant to POSTPONE complete annihilation?

That being said I think one of the fascinating things about the Star Wars universe is tehy've so obviously reached a point of technological stagnation. Hyperdrive's we invented tens of thousands of years ago, yet they're technology looks the same between TOR and the movies. I think this is a commentary on what we as a species waste on constant blood-letting, and how much further we would be today if all of our greatest works weren't stacked on the bodies of our forefathers. Hell we wouldn't have even made it into space yet if we didn't need to design a better way to kill people who live on the other side of the planet.

You're tripping, in 30 years the sith empire has left the republic in shambles, if the republic is infinitely better and more competent how is it they've managed to lose half of the galaxy, and accepted extremely limiting stipulations at the treaty of corruscant to POSTPONE complete annihilation?

The comparison was between the Sith Empire in TOR and Palpatine's Empire, not with between the Sith Empire and Republic, although (FWIW) the Republic stages a pretty massive comeback within a period of what, 2 years?

Edited by Lesaberisa