[Serious] Can We Save The Republic PvP?

VVhistIer

...What to do next? I mean this effort only started a couple of weeks ago, so I say stay the course. There is another thread on having folks actually focus pubside and guild up. That would be a huge step forward, but I am not sure if its achievable as of yet. Definitely something to work towards in the near future.

I have also seen a number of guilds that I have not seen before fielding 2 or 3 players in WZs that are ok. (Valor ranking is still rather low, so these aren't necessarily server transfers.) <Republic/Imperial Fight Club> have also been forming up for low and mid tier. Might have been around for a while as I havent been running any alts up until double XP started. The players on the Imp faction guild were pretty decent, the Pub side guild needed a little help.

From what I've heard talking with the Pub guys is that they want to bring back dueling nights. Similar to the Battle Royale that went down last year. Pretty cool idea. They also said they will be focusing on pvp as well.

We will see how this goes.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so this is gonna take a bit, but I plan on getting to the heart of some issues I believe "scrub" PvPers may have. I've mostly been an Imperial PvPer (Toxa), simply because Imp Rp is so vibrant, and I think I do alright. I don't have a level 55 to pvp with, but I'm very sure I won't even try to PvP at 55. Toxa is a dps Sorc, and while i knock down decent numbers, in my mind, I'm nowhere near as good as other players. I worry my rotation isn't good enough, my maneuvering is bad, or what have you. To me it has always seemed that there is a "right way" to PvP, and I just don't know it.

I won't PvP at 55, and below that I do so sparingly. It is this mentality of "One right way" to do it, and the lack of resources to get better. I can be stomped six ways to sunday, or roll over enemy teams, but in the end I leave with there are better players, but I don't know how to get better. The difference between crushing defeat or one sided win seems like luck to me. Even now in my Trooper alt, how well I do seems almost entirely based on how lucky I am with teammates and opponents.

Ok, so this is gonna take a bit, but I plan on getting to the heart of some issues I believe "scrub" PvPers may have. I've mostly been an Imperial PvPer (Toxa), simply because Imp Rp is so vibrant, and I think I do alright. I don't have a level 55 to pvp with, but I'm very sure I won't even try to PvP at 55. Toxa is a dps Sorc, and while i knock down decent numbers, in my mind, I'm nowhere near as good as other players. I worry my rotation isn't good enough, my maneuvering is bad, or what have you. To me it has always seemed that there is a "right way" to PvP, and I just don't know it.

I won't PvP at 55, and below that I do so sparingly. It is this mentality of "One right way" to do it, and the lack of resources to get better. I can be stomped six ways to sunday, or roll over enemy teams, but in the end I leave with there are better players, but I don't know how to get better. The difference between crushing defeat or one sided win seems like luck to me. Even now in my Trooper alt, how well I do seems almost entirely based on how lucky I am with teammates and opponents.

You could always ask these better players for advice: how come they are doing so much better. On the Republic side, I and a few other immigrants from different servers, have formed a guild called Maven. If there are more people interested in PVP or would just like to get pointers on how to gear or improve, I encourage you to get in contact with me.

Easpeax - republic

Neitho - republic

Hieronymous - imperial

You could always ask these better players for advice: how come they are doing so much better. On the Republic side, I and a few other immigrants from different servers, have formed a guild called Maven. If there are more people interested in PVP or would just like to get pointers on how to gear or improve, I encourage you to get in contact with me.

Easpeax - republic

Neitho - republic

Hieronymous - imperial

Met one or two of you <Maven> guys in a Huttball at about 6am this morning, far too close, lots of tired minds in that one... GG though, glad you guys are around. And I echo the message here, reach out, most people are happy to help, and if you can get in ts for some voice explanations you'll be set.

Met one or two of you <Maven> guys in a Huttball at about 6am this morning, far too close, lots of tired minds in that one... GG though, glad you guys are around. And I echo the message here, reach out, most people are happy to help, and if you can get in ts for some voice explanations you'll be set.

Was that the one with the most random ball spike in the end?

Was that the one with the most random ball spike in the end?

That's the one, we had some bad sin stood next to the ball in stealth frantically clicking the ball, all he had to do was unstealth, and we'd have had it. Guess it's a reminder there are bads everywhere...

Imps playing Imps doesn't fix the republic. Stay on your mains, stay out of our side. Dirty headset wearing farmers. Learn how to get competitive. If you can't play without a tank guarding you and your mother wiping your butt, you're probably not as good as you think. Cya's in a WZ.

<Insert sig of 20 55's here>

Imps playing Imps doesn't fix the republic. Stay on your mains, stay out of our side. Dirty headset wearing farmers. Learn how to get competitive. If you can't play without a tank guarding you and your mother wiping your butt, you're probably not as good as you think. Cya's in a WZ.

<Insert sig of 20 55's here>

Problem is... Most of the people in this thread ARE the good, competitive players on the republic side who are carrying literally some of the worst of the worst pvpers in this game. Bad dps, bad heals, bad gear and my pet peeve "tanks" who try to dps.

Problem is... Most of the people in this thread ARE the good, competitive players on the republic side who are carrying literally some of the worst of the worst pvpers in this game. Bad dps, bad heals, bad gear and my pet peeve "tanks" who try to dps.

I agree with you K'senia, but as someone who spent most of my time this past week levelling in midbies on the republic side, I think you are going to see some good improvements at 55 shortly.

<Maven> and <Your Companion> are republic guilds new to the server. Between getting into random groups with them, <Aisthesis>, <Republic>, as well as several others, there are some good healers and damage-dealers making their way to 55. Still a shortage of tanks, but there have been a couple Guardian and Vanguard tanks I can think of that are doing well.

I am an Imp player playing over here and there certainly are others; sounds like from the previous postthere may be some resentment, but most of whom I just named are all predominantly republic players.

Interesting how much PVP changed, back when I played before Republic did a bit better with Game Genie, Zen, and Azure Blades around as well. And Scrub Squad.

From what I can tell, they all left or you all decided to roll Imperial for PvP because Imperial side is seen as the PvP faction. Imp = PvP side continues to intrigue me.

As for reviving Republic-side PvP, for all that people are talking about showing tough love, not showing mercy, forcing players to "Learn" by kicking their asses repeatedly..... people only allow themselves so much kicking. If you constantly and relentlessly crush the PvP newbies then I suspect the majority of them will say "to hell with this" and stop PvPing. Maybe not a loss in some cases, since a good PvPer has to know how to lose and the ones who give up quickly clearly don't know how, but you're also going to drive out players who would stick it out if they thought they had a chance at competing instead of being ripped apart over and over until they feel there's no fun in it and never ever come back.

I'm not saying don't go for that three cap, just remember that playing hardcore and treating every PUG like a premade is going to have consequences like that.

As for fixes... aside from PvPers playing Republic side too and the current efforts to educate Pub-side PvP, there's not much else that can be done, I think. It's possible it may never quite shift, Republic-side culture might simply be incompatible with the attitudes necessary for super-competitive PvP.

Edited by stgjr
Friggin' Typoes

From what I can tell, they all left or you all decided to roll Imperial for PvP because Imperial side is seen as the PvP faction. Imp = PvP side continues to intrigue me.

When I started playing Game Genie wasn't here. Then game genie came. A year after game genie left, I can still hear the impside crying back then and there are still thousands of players who think game genie hacked. I was born an imp, raised and imp, and grew up and educated in the University of Game Genie with an honorary degree from LoLoLoLRoflstomp Department majoring in Random Scrub Getting Facerolled. I never switched faction and actually learned a lot from game genies.

Rule #1 of getting good at pvp: never assume the enemies are hacking. I played 2 years and never actually found anyone to be hacking.

When I started playing Game Genie wasn't here. Then game genie came. A year after game genie left, I can still hear the impside crying back then and there are still thousands of players who think game genie hacked. I was born an imp, raised and imp, and grew up and educated in the University of Game Genie with an honorary degree from LoLoLoLRoflstomp Department majoring in Random Scrub Getting Facerolled. I never switched faction and actually learned a lot from game genies.

Rule #1 of getting good at pvp: never assume the enemies are hacking. I played 2 years and never actually found anyone to be hacking.

Good rule.

I still remember when everyone assumed ops and scoundrels were port-hacking when RotHC launched, and it was all because of the new roll ability and the fact that sometimes the animation didn't fully play.

Alas, we are approaching Thread Derailment territory, so let's get this back on track; making Republic PvP competitive.

Been leveling a shadow. Since most people don't like to do it I tend to volunteer for guarding, and when I have a chance I've been trying to toss out helpful "reminders" so I can pass on some advice. Simple things like "Healers are marked. If you leave them alone you'll never kill that guy you're on, so kill them instead!" and "Learn to read the map. If your guard calls out that he has 3 incoming, then 5 don't need to break off and go help."

A lot of the disconnect is people don't know how to play objectively. I hope to help with that as I can. Since I'm already EW on Triggle, no reason not to lend my services to Republic side in this.

I personally think one of the major downfalls of Republic side pvp is people from the "pvp" guilds looking at anyone on their team not sporting a "pvp" guild tag as worthless. I play a GS named Shardz, i use to play alot a year or even two years ago, but took a break for almost a year. Now when i join a match with my 31kish health, and then inspect me and see most of my gear is Partisan, (at the time i left it was what was top) they assume i have no clue what i am doing. Someone from my old guild who did not know me since i have been away for so long went as far as to say "Well we will be 4 v 8ing this i guess." Because it was 3 from one pvp guild and one from another.. With the other 4 not having a tag or unknown tag. When it ended with me having high objectives and over a mil damage all i could do was laugh as the next to me in damage was one of the "4" with 400k less, and almost the same objectives. What i am getting at is do not assume that guild tags make the player skill. And talk to everyone like they are a part of the team until they show they are not capable of pvp play.

Shardz GS

Frittata PT

Edited by MentalShadowz

Sorry you had that experience. I don't actually find it terribly typical: most (but certainly not all) of the pvp guilds that I have seen pub side (I can't speak for imp side) just grit their teeth and get down to business. Of course, there are some loudmouths, but this is untypical. I do understand frustration when the team is just not working well and understand the occasional venting. I sometimes do it myself, but try not to.

I do agree, however, with your basic point: it is important to be tolerant with newcomers. Give advice, certainly, but try to be generous about it and do it in whispers rather than general chat. PVP is competitive, but it is also a game with real people behind the avatars. A good atmosphere is likely to build better players, being a jerk is likely to scare people away. It isn't up to the imps to be soft on us; it is up to us to improve the quality of play on our teams.

And sometimes, as in your case, the "noob" turns out to be an outstanding player right out the gate.

I personally think one of the major downfalls of Republic side pvp is people from the "pvp" guilds looking at anyone on their team not sporting a "pvp" guild tag as worthless. I play a GS named Shardz, i use to play alot a year or even two years ago, but took a break for almost a year. Now when i join a match with my 31kish health, and then inspect me and see most of my gear is Partisan, (at the time i left it was what was top) they assume i have no clue what i am doing. Someone from my old guild who did not know me since i have been away for so long went as far as to say "Well we will be 4 v 8ing this i guess." Because it was 3 from one pvp guild and one from another.. With the other 4 not having a tag or unknown tag. When it ended with me having high objectives and over a mil damage all i could do was laugh as the next to me in damage was one of the "4" with 400k less, and almost the same objectives. What i am getting at is do not assume that guild tags make the player skill. And talk to everyone like they are a part of the team until they show they are not capable of pvp play.

Shardz GS

Frittata PT

I only view my off team as worthless if I see them wearing a PvE guild tag and inspect them to find they're wearing 180 rated armor + Obroan or Brutalizer relics. Most of my efforts to inform them about the bolster system as well as better alternatives for gear that bolsters well have just resulted in those players rudely insulting myself and anyone else who tries to help them. If you queue for only the relics you're worthless. You're never worthless if you're a little under geared, know your class, play objectives, and have a decent expertise bolster.

Shardz GS

Frittata PT

That's not just server, that's the internet - a history of cats, dogs, *****, hashtagyoloswag and the progressive and inevitable dumbing down of the entire human race.

Edit: ***** means Buubs. Plz don't censor beautiful things like these. Best thing ever happened in my life.

Edited by Azurestone

I only flame people after the match... Like after a close AHG that we were winnin at first and for some reason the score got closer and closer after every round despite the fact that for the most part we controlled mid and didn't lose a node, only to look at the scoreboard and find that one guy with 13 deaths.

If you're "that guy"... Yes. You literally lost that match for us by yourself.

Edited by ace_boogie

Just ugh at the people that run enemy pylon every. Single. Time.

This is why I hate AHG more than any other map, its the most prone to being lost by 1 guy, be it stupid things like not playing smart and allowing yourself to die, or bad pylon guards, or even good pylon guards but bad teammate response to protect the pylon.

Also if you play a stealth class, particularly a DPS sin/operative, and there is no other stealth or tank powertechs on your team, and you choose to go for the enemy pylon at the very start of the game instead of guarding your team's pylon. You are playing to lose, every single time you do that, and I hate you.

Just ugh at the people that run enemy pylon every. Single. Time.

What makes it worse is when that guys starts to complain... "Why aren't you guys helping me take their pylon?!" and you just know that in his mind he thinks he's carrying the team.

Or after they've taken the lead after he ever so kindly donated 10+ kills to them at their pylon, he says in the last round "we can't win unless we take their pylon".

/facedesk

I've been quiet for a while now to see what everyone has to say and there are a few points I would like to make.

1) Outcomped is not a thing. Have you ever heard of Alpha Company on Jung Ma? All troopers and scoundrels, but they win warzones time and again just thanks to their great tactics and teamwork.

2) Premades. They aren't going anywhere anytime, people like to win and they help them win. However, the mistake most people make is that they don't expand those premade groups. Its nice to get together and run with buddies to win and get your gear, but especially for those who are 2018'd out, there's not much to do at that point but PvP for some laughs. Why not grab a guy you see in a warzone and teach him a thing or two. Don't yell at him or make fun of 'em, just lend a hand. This doesn't just include in the warzone either, once the Victory and Defeat have been handed out, work with them outside the PvP to get them into fighting shape. Then just ask them to pay it forward when they become more experienced.

3) Channels. So a guild typically works better, but most folks for RP already have their places and Channels lets everyone keep their families and just make a new one. We could make a channel where the Pros can hang out, and the Scrubs can come to hear from the Pros, and queue with the Pros for some real lessons since there's no real consequence for a 2018 to lose a warzone (they got their comms) and in the long run, people can pick up tips from them. We can even have a Blacklist for marking people that have asked for help and then ignored all the advice and guidance of the Pros who tried to help them in warzones and out.

These are just a few ideas. I've got another idea to bring some WRPPvP back to this server, but I'm going to keep that underwraps until I get it all figured out.

3) Channels. So a guild typically works better, but most folks for RP already have their places and Channels lets everyone keep their families and just make a new one. We could make a channel where the Pros can hang out, and the Scrubs can come to hear from the Pros, and queue with the Pros for some real lessons since there's no real consequence for a 2018 to lose a warzone (they got their comms) and in the long run, people can pick up tips from them. We can even have a Blacklist for marking people that have asked for help and then ignored all the advice and guidance of the Pros who tried to help them in warzones and out.

No reason /enemies can't be used for this, or anything like it. It's basically what the channel was created for. Calling people scrubs and pros is pathetic though. Anyone here who calls themselves a "pro" needs a reality check.

Simply terminology utilized for folks to get the drift of the two different walks of life.

/enemies is an odd name for the channel, but then again it is a movement that the entire server has to help with. I've sat in the /enemies channel before and never heard a peep, fresh tends to help, however I'm all ears if folks say we just use it. I figured a channel like /prosandjoes or /pvphelp or something where people kind of understand the purpose of said channel.