Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lightsaber of Ven Zallow

Myriagonvaltorix
04.22.2014 , 10:51 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by anonnn View Post
Essentially, a hilt guard on a lightsaber serves a completely different purpose than a hilt guard on a traditional sword that's made of metal. Because the blade on a lightsaber will burn through just about anything that makes contact with it, whereas a blade made of metal is itself also a structural element and can have various things attached or fused or otherwise crafted to it.

I'm really not sure why the folks at BioWare (or whoever did all the art production) didn't figure out that the high side of the top of the hilt can only make sense pointed directly towards the center of the wielder's body.
Why in the holy mother of jabba the hutt's pungent butt would bioware care one bit about how the character model /holds/ a lightsaber. Is it really worthy enough to make a thread about? Do you think they'll see an influx of money from a miniscule change that at least half a dozen other posters haven't even been able to spot.

Lets be realistic here. It ain't gunna happen even if we assume you are right.

anonnn
04.23.2014 , 01:03 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Myriagonvaltorix View Post
Why in the ... would bioware care one bit about how the character model /holds/ a lightsaber.
Well the original thread wasn't about the hilt guard, it was about the lightsaber-wielding position of the wielder's arms. However, here we are with a fairly related topic.

Regarding the correct rotation of the lightsaber in the wielder's hand, I can only say that the creator went to the effort of creating the body models, armor models that scale to fit bodies, voice acting, storylines, sound effects for this that and the other thing, clothing flowing animations (for robes and such), special effects for explosions glitters and environmental glowing effects, vehicles, animations for all a character's abilities, animations for many of the social emotes... I don't know, does the correct vertical hilt rotation while gripped seem too tedious?

Myriagonvaltorix
04.23.2014 , 02:20 AM | #23
Well the original thread wasn't about the hilt guard, it was about the lightsaber-wielding position of the wielder's arms. However, here we are with a fairly related topic.

Regarding the correct rotation of the lightsaber in the wielder's hand, I can only say that the creator went to the effort of creating the body models, armor models that scale to fit bodies, voice acting, storylines, sound effects for this that and the other thing, clothing flowing animations (for robes and such), special effects for explosions glitters and environmental glowing effects, vehicles, animations for all a character's abilities, animations for many of the social emotes... I don't know, does the correct vertical hilt rotation while gripped seem too tedious?
Post launch. We're talking Post-launch here.
If you want to make the argument that they should've had it that way to start that's an argument that may be justified- the curved lightsabers and handguard Cartel sabers they have are pretty wonky too- but the point is they're out. It's done with. The games been out for over two years and i don't think anyone dropped their sub because they took one look at their characters lightsaber and said: "Wait a minute... ~Squints~ THAT SABER'S 30 DEGREES OFF! GODDARNIT. IM GOING BACK TO WOW!".

The common thing to say is 'they have your money they don't care', but that's not what i'm getting at. Sure. They should've (past tense) cared. But that saber and other guard sabers like it have been in the game for ages and for a year Bioware had a horrible habit of patching ridiculously minor things (like what you're talking about) and only recently has it made meaningful updates with almost every patch (and they're doing a great job recently as far as i'm concerned).
It's almost counter productive to ask them to once again put more emphasis on meaningless, miniscule issues like they used to. I for one don't want to encourage the devs back into their infamous "today's patch corrected a spelling issue on the codex entry for Nemr'o the Hutt... aaaand that is all" patches.

anonnn
04.23.2014 , 03:16 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Myriagonvaltorix View Post
Post launch. We're talking Post-launch here.
It's almost counter productive to ask them to once again put more emphasis on meaningless, miniscule issues like they used to. I for one don't want to encourage the devs back into their infamous "today's patch corrected a spelling issue on the codex entry for Nemr'o the Hutt... aaaand that is all" patches.
Someone posted pics of 2 different lightsaber wielders, and I made an observation. What do I care if they fix it, it won't make much of a difference to me. It's... either exactly right, or not.

I'm just the person who tends to look at something long enough, and put enough thought into it that I get it right. And maybe I'm not even right ... maybe the purpose of the hilt rise is some crazy abstract reason like proper weight balance.

Lord_Xeon
04.23.2014 , 05:05 AM | #25
Ofcourse i'm not gonna quit playing because of the wielding style. Just saying it'd be nice to see it correctly done. Perhaps that guard was meant to face the wielder for protection or face the opponent to add more mass to your strikes i don't know either.
Jedi Guardian-Master X'on
Imperial Operative-Agent ßlizzy

EnkiduNineEight
04.23.2014 , 06:24 AM | #26
Essentially, a hilt guard on a lightsaber serves a completely different purpose than a hilt guard on a traditional sword that's made of metal. Because the blade on a lightsaber will burn through just about anything that makes contact with it, whereas a blade made of metal is itself also a structural element and can have various things attached or fused or otherwise crafted to it.

I'm really not sure why the folks at BioWare (or whoever did all the art production) didn't figure out that the high side of the top of the hilt can only make sense pointed directly towards the center of the wielder's body.
It can only make sense to you.

It is not a structural element. It is not used in any way towards wielding the weapon. It has no purpose but as an aesthetic and its fine how it is. This is coming from another person who has actually done sabre, epee, rapier, kendo, and various fechtbuch work, primarily with greatsword but also enjoying short sword and buckler and lastly a bit of theatrical work.

As has been pointed out, referencing the video YOU posted, a lightsabre's hilt is generally not made of lightsabre resistant materials and so using that little tiny bit as a guard would be foolish if not suicidal. Also, your description of sword fighting is not very accurate to begin with and tends to fit more the description of dramatic swordplay you might see in a theatre or on TV/in the movies.

Frankly, it doesn't matter where that piece ends up. If that is the position where it ends up when your hands are wrapped on the hilt (with its switches etc) then that is where it is going to be. Remember as well that the sabres and their features in the video game are exaggerated a bit so that they are visible and scaling is off.

anonnn
04.23.2014 , 10:23 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Xeon View Post
Ofcourse i'm not gonna quit playing because of the wielding style. Just saying it'd be nice to see it correctly done. Perhaps that guard was meant to face the wielder for protection or face the opponent to add more mass to your strikes i don't know either.
Holy hyperspace it might be a big lead weight ! . . And of course in the Star Wars universe they've discovered an element (or a special treated alloy) that's 10 times denser than lead, so it'd be a mega-weight. That would give a more natural balance to the lightsaber, since the only actual mass is the hilt which would weigh very little as compared to a traditional sword with an entire metal blade above the hilt.

anonnn
04.23.2014 , 11:23 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by EnkiduNineEight View Post
It can only make sense to you.

It is not a structural element. It is not used in any way towards wielding the weapon. It has no purpose but as an aesthetic ...
As has been pointed out, referencing the video YOU posted, a lightsabre's hilt is generally not made of lightsabre resistant materials and so using that little tiny bit as a guard would be foolish if not suicidal. Also, your description of sword fighting is not very accurate to begin with and tends to fit more the description of dramatic swordplay you might see in a theatre or on TV/in the movies.

Frankly, it doesn't matter where that piece ends up. If that is the position where it ends up when your hands are wrapped on the hilt (with its switches etc) then that is where it is going to be. Remember as well that the sabres and their features in the video game are exaggerated a bit so that they are visible and scaling is off.
How odd, you badly mis-read my post also. . . . . My main point with the hilt rise in the picture was that it creates a region just above the hilt that has 3+ inches of exposed lightsaber blade on one side, and what amounts to a protective guard on the other (protective of the wielder). Especially for an extremely skilled wielder, it seems natural that the lightsaber would be rotated in the hand so that the extra 3+ inches of exposed lightsaber blade would be pointed towards the opponent, so that also the protective guard will be pointed only at the self. In fact during battle maybe the wielder's thumb could be pressured along the top of that hilt guard for extra leverage . . .

If you were even remotely an expert at sword-play, then you'd already be aware (especially since I already stated this a few posts ago) that because of the visual angle during swordfighting, when blocking a strike (particularly when performing a rising block) it's much easier to land the opponent's blade on your own blade in a precise location, if the strike is landing close to the top of your hilt. Thus, an extra 3+ inches of exposed blade just above the hilt is, in fact, extremely useful and a very important factor to maintain pointed toward the opponent... so the extra (protective) hilt piece on top must always point towards the self. Protective... in the sense that if an opponent managed to catch the wielder by surprise and got extra unexpected power on a strike, knocking the wielder's saber into himself, that little hilt guard might prevent his own lightsaber from slicing into his own shoulder.

In my opinion, a lightsaber duelist swinging his lightsaber around during battle, with the (enormous and protective) hilt rise directed anywhere but at himself would look silly. . . .

One last thing that I literally JUST NOW noticed... the hilt in the SWToR artwork clearly shows what looks like a button on the one side of the hilt. I imagine that has to be the on/off button, and since the natural thing would be to use one's thumb to press that button, it's yet another reason (OR RATHER, FAIRLY SOLID PROOF) why that side of the hilt belongs pointed towards the wielder.
NOTE: this concludes my debate on this topic.

lordkasner
10.30.2014 , 01:13 PM | #29
what is name of that saber btw