2.4 pyro vs ap?

WilliamMarshal

Ok so I've been out of the game for a bit and last time I played assault vanguard was when 50 was max level. I just rerolled pt and am going pyro. However ive been hearing about 2.4 changes and wanted to know which looks better for pvp and why? As I understand it ap is getting an insanely strong flamethrower and pyro is getting a godmode kolto overload. Also thermal det buff. Never played ap but could someone with more knowledge fill me in on which one looks more promising and why. Appreciate it.

Both will be (and they are now) viable for regs, for arena, AP looks slightly better.

^^^

Pyro will still lack the burst needed to burn through the level of heals versus a semi competent team. Not to mention, FB not procing CGC 100%...so, a timely cleanse will leave the Pyro unable to Rail Shot, and have to spend 1 GCD using a nerfed IM to RELIABLY reapply a dot, to allow the use of RS.

Or, you can FB (100% snare proc) hope for a CGC proc, and waste 1-3 GCDs to use RS.

Thus, further reducing our lackluster burst.

Versus regs, play what you like...competitive, tank or AP.

Same in PvE, just in case you were wondering.

^^^

Pyro will still lack the burst needed to burn through the level of heals versus a semi competent team. Not to mention, FB not procing CGC 100%...so, a timely cleanse will leave the Pyro unable to Rail Shot, and have to spend 1 GCD using a nerfed IM to RELIABLY reapply a dot, to allow the use of RS.

Or, you can FB (100% snare proc) hope for a CGC proc, and waste 1-3 GCDs to use RS.

Thus, further reducing our lackluster burst.

Versus regs, play what you like...competitive, tank or AP.

Same in PvE, just in case you were wondering.

You could just rocket punch for the 100% CGC proc.....

You could just rocket punch for the 100% CGC proc.....

And I will, versus healers and non-melee classes.

In those other instances, I'll be staying, or attempting to stay, out of range in which the opponent can do damage to me. I just find it inducive to survival.

Since I find myself kiting about 75% of the time, RP/SS isn't gonna be highly used skill, which is very convenient that CGC is now more reliant on this skill.

* The change to CGC proc is a great move, that will no doubt enhance the damaging abilities to a DPS class that has been at the bottom of the list in terms of DPS since its massive nerfing in 2.0. Not only does it make the class more competitive versus sentinels and marauders, it only makes sense to proc a fire DoT from either the end of your fist or the butt of your rifle, instead of a wrist-mounted flamethrower, or a ion pulse from a blaster rifle.

*- Denotes HEAVY sarcasm.

The person in charge of QA'ing these decisions, as well as the hideous armor, is a dick...IMHO.

In those other instances, I'll be staying, or attempting to stay, out of range in which the opponent can do damage to me. I just find it inducive to survival.

Since I find myself kiting about 75% of the time, RP/SS isn't gonna be highly used skill, which is very convenient that CGC is now more reliant on this skill.

* The change to CGC proc is a great move, that will no doubt enhance the damaging abilities to a DPS class that has been at the bottom of the list in terms of DPS since its massive nerfing in 2.0. Not only does it make the class more competitive versus sentinels and marauders, it only makes sense to proc a fire DoT from either the end of your fist or the butt of your rifle, instead of a wrist-mounted flamethrower, or a ion pulse from a blaster rifle.

The person in charge of QA'ing these decisions, as well as the hideous armor, is a dick...IMHO.

55 Vanguard chiming in on this and Assassin is 100% right. With the cumbersome as rotation, due to the changes it will be a lot more harder to burn through targets and survive in this specc (due to being smashed/CC chained at less than 15-30m). We will see what happens this week and if I leave the game along with others until they fix this bull ****.

AP is gonna be btter but not by much.

You got that right, there is not a huge jump in burst damage with the changes and not enough testing to validate what is seen on the test servers (hell they been closed for weeks now), some people say there is a 12% damage bump, but I have not seen this on test dummy ( 500 damage increase is not 12%).

Roll a smasher its the only way to be competitive melee dps in this game anymore.

I suspect it is the same person who decided that a bash with the hilt of a lightsaber should be the most damaging juggernaut attack, and not any of the attacks that make use of the super-heated-can-cut-through-durasteel-effortlessly energy blade attached to said hilt.

And although I'm glad AP gets some well needed buffs as it was always my favorite spec, and I do understand and agree that the old pyrotech was too powerful burst-wise in premade situations, the current state of Pyrotech in PvP at least is just a little saddening.

I suspect it is the same person who decided that a bash with the hilt of a lightsaber should be the most damaging juggernaut attack, and not any of the attacks that make use of the super-heated-can-cut-through-durasteel-effortlessly energy blade attached to said hilt.

And although I'm glad AP gets some well needed buffs as it was always my favorite spec, and I do understand and agree that the old pyrotech was too powerful burst-wise in premade situations, the current state of Pyrotech in PvP at least is just a little saddening.

I just don't get it. PRE 2.0, yeah...PT/VG burst was 2nd to none. In 2.4, it would be right in line.

so take a 10, nerf it to a 2...ignore DPS leaderboards and AC's like madness, pyro, anything not SW/JK or sniper/slinger...

I guess i'm just crazy...

A friend of mine who has maybe 4 pieces of the new gear hit an 8k Immolate, and a 5.4k Flamethrower tick, a few hours ago in 4v4 team ranked.

AP's burst is fine. No clue about Pyro.

I got a 4.4k flame burst. This was not using the red expertise pickup. That sentinel died pretty quickly.

What about tactics/ap with ion cell for guard? Was in normal agains one pt who guarded healer, he did 300k more damage then me (we were both in south), I can't belive he is in full tank with so much damage (it is possible, but then he is either really good, or I'm just really bad).

My question is, other then guard ability u get, how much you lose on dps considering you are not using right cell?

What about tactics/ap with ion cell for guard? Was in normal agains one pt who guarded healer, he did 300k more damage then me (we were both in south), I can't belive he is in full tank with so much damage (it is possible, but then he is either really good, or I'm just really bad).

My question is, other then guard ability u get, how much you lose on dps considering you are not using right cell?

5% bonus damage and a lot of your heat management. Also, the autocrit on Railshot.

I pulled my aging Pyro PT out of storage last night and ran 4-5 Low level WZs, no arenas, and did top DPS all of the matches. I did very well applying pressure to healers and tanks using guards to the point where many attackers were pulling off of their offensive point to get me off of their supports.

Dusted off my PT which I used to play AP up to about 1.3 and recently got it up to 55.

I gave Pyro a spin because I wanted to try something different. Damage wise it is ok and the pvp rotation is not too dull to get burst timed right. The Kolto Overload godmode is very strong and degauss was quite handy against mara./assassins. Oh and the aoe snare from Volatile Igniters was great for utility.

Then I switched back to AP yesterday. I can only say it is completely ridiculous, the amount of damage it pumps out is totally daft. 3 separate big crits (6-8k) available, and huge cleaves from flame thrower. I would say enjoy it while it lasts because a nerf must be incoming, but given past performance with balance it will probably stay like this for a long time.