Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Suggested 6.0 abilities/passives

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Suggested 6.0 abilities/passives

Bonzenaattori's Avatar


Bonzenaattori
10.13.2018 , 06:41 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by AdjeYo View Post
Obviously I meant I would be kind of annoyed if such a change were to actually go through, you proposing it doesn't annoy me in the least, don't worry. But my problem with this change is still that it wouldn't help tanks at all, it would just help the dps specs at the expense of the tank spec. They'll be a legendary utility short. I'm fine with helping the defensives of all PT specs along, I just don't agree with your way of doing it. (As a side node I don't really like tying defensive and offensive benefits into a single ability, especially for dps specs, forcing them to choose between survivability and damage). I'd love to see some better and improved utilities (in the legendary and heroic sections especially), but taking away things from one spec to make them utilities is not a good way of doing so in my opinion.
Ok i understand what you're saying, and I agree, losing hurts. It always does and always will.
It hurt when we lost 30% dr vs aoe & stuns, whilst Mercenaries still have that, and although some would argue that it was a necessary change to bring it in line with the rest of the defensive (or tank) demographic of the tank/damage classes, we had this since day one-ish. We should've kept it, especially considering our dear mercenary friends who seems to be getting all the good stuff, still has it, and not divided by spec.

My idea was just to propose that the reverse of this is a proposition for making things slightly better. I'm not going to create an idea for a new cooldown, I'm just not that creative, but I feel like this is a great ability that all 3 specs can gain from. I never said it should've been a Legendary talent either, but you have to understand it would probably naturally fall in line there simply because of the aquisition level of Explosive fuel. That said, putting it in a lower tier utility would be sort of wasteful, when you cannot gain its full potential of use, becuase you haven't the adequate level to gain the ability. The same arguement or perspective could be used with Battering Ram. Considering the level of the abilities' acquisition, it seems pointless to place it lower in the tier lists of utilities based alone on when you acquire the ability.
This could be solved by changing the level you gain the ability, but this doesn't seem likely, it sucks, but it just doesn't, but it would be a great way to solve things

The ability could be merged with Fuel Additives and a completely new ability made for tank spec, maybe somethign that makes Translocate more useful! Like, whenever using the ability, the powertech caster gains the positive effects as well. Or removing the effect condition where using an offensive ability prematurely breaks the benign presence!
Rewarding the caster for using the ability is in my opinion one of the best ways they can make Translocate useful.
This idea is similar to the effect they made with the old school pvp set bonus for juggernauts, where whenever they used intercede/guardian leap. They would gain %maxhp healing. This motivated people to use the ability, by rewarding them, despite the fact its on obvious loss on potential damage, that the global cooldown/cast time could've been used for

Anyway, sorry if anything I said was rude or out of line, it was just a proposed change, it wasn't defined to suggest tanks don't deserve the ability, or should have to choke up one of their utilities for this. But more in line with the definition of, dps specs can benefit from this also, an ability where our main aggression buff can grant defensives as well, giving it a 2 pronged power spike.

SiegePro's Avatar


SiegePro
10.17.2018 , 01:33 PM | #32
Battering Ram is garbage. The only reason its even in Legendary Tier is because they stupidly moved Jet Charge/Storm to level 59. If you instead got JC/St when you got Grapple it'd be a tier 2 utility at best. I would literally take any other utility, even a lower tier utility, before I'd voluntarily take Battering Ram.

You want to take one of Tank spec's much needed defensive abilities, replace it with garbage, and wonder why people object?

My suggestions for 6.0 Tank Spec.

1) General/All-Specs Change: Swap the levels you gain Jet Charge/Storm with Grapple/Harpoon.

2) Mercy kill "Transpose" and replace it with a much needed "reflect" DCD.

3) Change Oil Slick/Smoke Screen from a accuracy debuff (i.e. applies only to melee/ranged) to an alacrity/speed debuff (i.e. can't get off attacks as quickly... reducing dps in the process).

4) Ion/Plasma Bolt (New Level 71* Passive): Increases the Ion Cell/Cylinder splash damage with High Impact Bolt/Rail Shot.

5) Harpoon/Grapple Volley (New Level 73* Ability): PBAoE version of Harpoon/Grapple that also immobilizes the targets for 2 seconds.

6) Level 75* will obviously be a utility choice.

* If they increase the level cap to 75 they will absolutely adjust the levels the spec skills are gained to odd levels (i.e. 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, etc.) so that your capstone final ability will unlock at level 75.

New Utility 1: Synchronized Volley (Masterful). Your Deadly Onslaught/Artillery Blitz changes from a target zone to a target-based AoE and delivers its damage instantly (damage is reduced by X% to account for getting an extra GCD for additional attacks). This removes the only interruptible attack (and also the only one that requires a double tap/click to activate) and replaces it with a fully mobile, non-channeled option. I place it at masterful tier because the ability to use it as a non-channeled skill can be rotation defining and so should be able to come into play relatively early in the character's advancement (as opposed to Jet Charge/Storm which is currently at level 59).

New Utility 2: War is a Serious Business (Legendary). You no longer laugh like an idiot child every six seconds when your Tactical Accelerator Triggers. This aspect of the Tactics Vanguard is so annoying I would literally be willing to pay a legendary utility selection just to get rid of it.

Bonzenaattori's Avatar


Bonzenaattori
10.17.2018 , 03:00 PM | #33
Oh no we're putting a garbage utility as a tank passive, in a state of game where literally 5/6 of your legendary utilities are garbage anyway, google search example if its that hard... seriously do yourself a favour
considering like 80% of passives on tank spec are trash, I guess when you finally get something good you don't wana let go of it XD

Aaaaaaand then there's this:
Quote:
New Utility 1: Synchronized Volley (Masterful). Your Deadly Onslaught/Artillery Blitz changes from a target zone to a target-based AoE and delivers its damage instantly (damage is reduced by X% to account for getting an extra GCD for additional attacks). This removes the only interruptible attack (and also the only one that requires a double tap/click to activate) and replaces it with a fully mobile, non-channeled option. I place it at masterful tier because the ability to use it as a non-channeled skill can be rotation defining and so should be able to come into play relatively early in the character's advancement (as opposed to Jet Charge/Storm which is currently at level 59).
I would not want a 30 heat cost channelled ability to be instant cast and then lose damage because its a single global cooldown, when it's vanilla design breaks the rules of line of sight and can channel while moving.
Not only would that starve you out, it would just be bad
pls don't ravage mah blitz

Quote:
New Utility 2: War is a Serious Business (Legendary). You no longer laugh like an idiot child every six seconds when your Tactical Accelerator Triggers. This aspect of the Tactics Vanguard is so annoying I would literally be willing to pay a legendary utility selection just to get rid of it
...Yikes

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
10.18.2018 , 12:41 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by SiegePro View Post
Battering Ram is garbage. The only reason its even in Legendary Tier is because they stupidly moved Jet Charge/Storm to level 59. If you instead got JC/St when you got Grapple it'd be a tier 2 utility at best. I would literally take any other utility, even a lower tier utility, before I'd voluntarily take Battering Ram.
As an AP PT, I recently starting playing around with Battering Ram as a free filler option to basic attack. It's actually kind of hard to work into a rotation because the proc wears off too quickly. I'm going to play around with it a little more, but it's probably still hot garbage.

Anyway... enough rambling.
Beruhl / Zenovia / Lobotomy / Sejanos / Warpunk
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Thanks Rion Starbrah.

Bonzenaattori's Avatar


Bonzenaattori
10.19.2018 , 05:13 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
As an AP PT, I recently starting playing around with Battering Ram as a free filler option to basic attack. It's actually kind of hard to work into a rotation because the proc wears off too quickly after the pull or target swap. I'm going to play around with it a little more, but it's probably still garbage.

Anyway... enough rambling.
Yeh I had a bit of fun testing this out when it first made its return in 5.0
However, somebody thought it would be funny to nerf Storm's base damage and not mention in patch notes for whatever reason.
So Harpoon is better choice 100% with Pull and Pommel utility.
Had Storm/Jet Charge kept it's original damage that is correspondent to the tooltip, it would outdps Reel & Rattle and the choice would've been between charge or pull for freebie filler that outdps's rapid shots.

I feel like the 2nd charge part of the utility was a last second decision made by somebody. It doesn't make any sense that Sentinel 2x charge still gets interrupt and root, but Powertech version doesn't get root/interrupt on 2nd charge, especially with the nerfed damage, and the move speed doesn't refresh on 2nd charge either.
For filler's sake, you'll never have to use the 2nd charge, so this is worthless in it's entirety.
Only creative huttball Ronaldhino playmakers will truly appreciate this utility

Oh well, it is what it is. I still think Storm should go back to tank tree, it is the only discipline with synergy with the ability, and Pull is the better more refined decision 100%, you have better option select with teamwork, as pulling a target lets you commit and blow up the victim, where as charge is a more audacious tactic that can put you in harms way, and encourage Marauder syndrome.

Looking at every other tank/damage class (Jugg / Sin) They both have tank friendly Legendary utilities; Jugg getting Saber Reflect duration increase and Assassin getting Force Speed damage reduc.
They're designs of abilities from utilities that every spec benefits from.
PT needs the same thing, but as you can clearly see, PVE tanks gets triggered by the idea of this Maybe we should put Hold the Line + Stun & Aoe dr back in tactics and see how well tanks do without it. Oh well, small minds and all that...

Now with Sin & Operative getting gap closer, we are so far behind on tech
Somehow I doubt nothing will get solved in 6.0
I will keep my ideas to myself
I don't really want players with small game sense to try and insult me over an idea lol

- Restoring Quell so its DR vs stun & Aoe is not discriminated based on tank/dps
- Giving a Heroic/Legendary Tier Utility that has strong defense option
- Giving a new cooldown (i still dont think a new ability altogether is necessary, just spread out defenses for all 3 specs is better)
- Buffing Transpose so it rewards the caster as much as the target or something better after successfully casting the ability
- Again, not gona waste my time making ideas for new abilities because it doesn't take much to realize bw devs aren't going to create new mechanics for one class, at least not pt/vg

chrisforester's Avatar


chrisforester
11.07.2018 , 03:56 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
For shieldtech, I've always wanted the ability to ignite my oil slick, so I think that would be an amazing passive at 74.
For powertech: Fuel Slick
"Using searing wave inside the area of your active oil slick will ignite the oil slick, burning enemies who remain in the area for X elemental damage each second and generating a high amount of threat."
For vanguard: Conductive Gas
"Using ion storm inside the area of your riot gas will electrify the gas, shocking enemies who remain in the area for X elemental damage each second and generating a high amount of threat."

As for an active ability, we're the ONLY tanking class/spec that doesnt have the ability to push enemies. This was initially an intentional design decision because we were the only tanks that could operate at range with relative efficiency, but now that all of our abilities have been nerfed to 10m range I think we deserve a push. Assassins/shadows have force push and overload/force wave, and juggernauts/guardians have force push. It's time we got our own.

So for powertech: Backfire
"Blast all enemies in front of you with a powerful flame burst, dealing X elemental damage and knocking them back 10 meters"

For vanguard: Arc Flash
"Blast all enemies in front of you with a powerful ion burst, dealing X elemental damage and knocking them back 10 meters"
IMHO all these ideas are great.
Every Man & Every Woman is a Star

Liber Al vel Legis 1.3

Bonzenaattori's Avatar


Bonzenaattori
11.09.2018 , 03:10 PM | #37
agreed. It has that niche side of creativity that I feel the skill kit kinda lack nowadays

I'd love it if they gave a unique shield projection for PT/VG
Kinda like Sano from Revanite Commanders, where any damage outside of the shield is nullified, so you have to go inside the shield to damage.
This would make ranged have to get inside to deal any damage which could cause them to hesistate, and punish those who want to be greedy and take risks, knowing they have to respect the powertech tank presence, and may also provide protection to allies inside the shield also. Combine it with Oil Slick and you're in for a nightmare

Mournblood's Avatar


Mournblood
11.09.2018 , 05:57 PM | #38
I glanced over the last four pages, so if someone already mentioned this, my apologies.

My biggest issue and why I ultimately shelved my PT was because we lack anti-focus DCDs. As my former guild leader often said, "dead men do no DPS." We've been in that sorry state of affairs for two years now. Anyone who's played a PT from as far back as four years ago knows just how far we've fallen on the competitive PvP ladder.

That said, we have to keep in mind that Bioware has been operating the last several years with an economy of resources. They simply don't have the manpower or the budget to do huge, time consuming changes. So your best bet in convincing them to make some adjustments to DPS PTs so that we have enough survivability to hold our own without a trinity premade behind us is to suggest just that, adjustments.

My suggestions are to take what we already have and improve it, or at least make it similar to Mercs. I'm not saying we need to have all the DCDs that Mercs have, because they traded DPS for that, and if we didn't do the same, we'd easily be OP. If we did do the same, we'd be just another flavor or Merc. So without sacrificing our burst potential, my suggestions are the following:

  • Buff our Kolto Overload to be the same as Mercs, where it returns 60% health versus 30%, return the 30% DR on Kolto Overload that we used to have, and allow CD reduction on damage taken.
  • Buff Energy Shield to 50% DR versus the current 25%. This is a good compromise to Merc Trauma Regulators, in that it doesn't give PTs a healing mechanic, but it does more to reduce damage when under focus.
  • Increase Shield Cannon heals from 3% to 5%. With 7 total missiles from the passive, this equates to 35% health.

That's it. With those three ability buffs, we effectively gain some anti-focus we desperately need without making us unstoppable killing machines, and it's tweaking existing abilities so that Bioware isn't expending time/resources they don't have. The last ability is of course optional because it's a Utility, but at least it adds another viable choice in the Legendary section aside from Overdrive.
Mourne, Founder