An in-depth look at: The Great Sith War Part 4

Aurbere

"Fellow Knights- the day is ours!"- Barrison Draay

After the rescue of Ulic Qel-Droma, Exar Kun and the Sith began planning the next stage of their plan to restore the Sith Golden Age. To this end, Krath fleets attacked Kemplex 7. But both Ulic and Exar Kun had their own plans for the attack on Kemplex 7.

When Ulic learned of Aleema Keto's attempt to usurp Ulic's command of the Krath, he commanded her to lead the attack on the station, for he knew what Exar Kun planned for the junction. During his excavations of the Massassi Temples, Exar Kun located a weapon of long dead Sith Lord Naga Sadow. This starship was armed with Sith weaponry and Sith Magic that allowed it to destroy stars, creating powerful supernovas. Exar Kun placed the ship under the command of Aleema Keto to use during the attack on the station, telling her that the destruction would prevent the Jedi from intervening.

But he did not tell her that the ships magic would not protect her from the residual blast, nor did he tell her that he had enhanced the ship's weaponry to cause a chain reaction of supernovae. Aleema did just as he planned, causing a supernova that created a chain reaction, a series of supernovae that was headed straight for Kun's primary target: the Jedi Library world of Ossus. The supernova was set off in the Cron Cluster, destroying Aleema and her fleet.

The supernova destroyed the Cron Cluster and sent a chain reaction towards Ossus. The Jedi Knights quickly gathered what artifacts they could, but they were forced to evacuate, leaving invaluable artifacts behind.

During this time, Exar Kun unleashed his Terentateks on Jedi occupied worlds of Tython, Kashyyyk, and Tatooine. These beasts fed on the blood of Force users and proved an incredibly dangerous foe to the Jedi Order.

With his Krath forces mercilessly striking the weakening Republic across the galaxy, Exar Kun launches an invasion of Ossus. With Ulic Qel-Droma leading the Krath and Mandalorians against the Jedi, Exar Kun lands near the home of Ood Bnar to claim many precious artifacts. Exar Kun wasted no time with the supernova rapidly approaching. He confronted Ood Bnar and demanded the artifacts, but Bnar refused. A duel between the Dark Lord and the elder Jedi ensued, but it was short-lived. Exar Kun's superior dueling skills and strength in The Force proved too great for the Neti to withstand, but it was not Exar Kun that defeated the Jedi. During their duel, one of Kun's Massassi attacked the Jedi and disarmed him.

With no hope for victory, Ood Bnar* used his natural abilities to morph into a powerful and unmovable tree, preventing the Dark Lord from accessing Ood Bnar's trove. Exar Kun was bested and fled to his shuttle, leaving Ulic to lead the attack on the Jedi.

But Ulic would come face to face with his brother, Cay Qel-Droma. The two would engage in a furious duel that would result in Ulic overcoming Cay and removing his brother's mechanical arm. Cay pleaded for Ulic to abandon the Dark Side, but it was too late. Ulic, fully embracing the Dark Side, cut down his wounded brother. This act was witnessed by Nomi Sunrider, who unleashed her power to sever Ulic's connection to The Force.

Having realized what had just occured and what he had done, Ulic abandoned the Dark Side and pledged to help the Jedi defeat Exar Kun.

But the war continued. Krath forces spread across the galaxy, attacking Republic worlds in multiple sectors. Meanwhile, armies of Jedi fought the armies of Sith and Massassi Warriors on multiple worlds, scoring much needed victories. Another much needed victory was secured by Republic forces on Onderon. Exar Kun's Mandalorians led a savage attack on the system, battling the Beast Riders and Republic reinforcements. The Mandalorians were eventually overwhelmed and forced to flee to Dxun. It was here that Mandalore the Indomitable was killed and Mandalore the Ultimate rose.

But the war was over. Having broke the lines of the Krath military, and using Ulic Qel-Droma's knowledge, the entire Republic military and the Jedi Order cornered Exar Kun and invaded his sanctum on Yavin IV. The Jedi army began invading the moon, not knowing what Exar Kun was planning.

In a bid for ultimate vengeance, Exar Kun gathered the Massassi Warriors from across the planet to prepare for one final ritual. A ritual that would allow him to wage unstoppable war against the Jedi Order, a ritual that would allow him to survive the Jedi attack. The Jedi fell back after feeling the Dark Side energy that was gathering, resolving to project a Wall of Light around the planet to contain Exar Kun's Dark power.

They projected their energy across the planet, but something happened that they did not intend. Their power in the Light Side collided with the Dark energy gathering at the Massassi Temples, creating a massive firestorm that engulfed the moon, destroying a great majority of what remained of Exar Kun and the Sith teachings.

Exar Kun, Ulic Qel-Droma and the Mandalorians had been defeated. Their was only one enemy to defeat- the Krath. Without their leaders, the Krath retreated to the Empress Teta system, hoping the Republic would leave them be. But the Republic would not allow such a powerful force to remain so close to Coruscant. A massive invasion was launched on the Empress Teta system, the Republic quickly struck the Krath, eventually routing them and destroying them.

With the Krath, the Sith, the Mandalorians and Exar Kun defeated, the galaxy returned to peace. But the galaxy would return to war when Mandalore the Ultimate waged another war, leading to the return of the Sith with Darth Revan at its head.

*Ood Bnar returned millenia later. Who released him?

Got a request? Post it below, in the Index, or PM me! :)

I missed last one, but I really think Kun still got some good in him before he killed his master, you can see him ask his master to join him, and had struggle before killed his master.

It is possible, but it could be that he wanted to turn a great Jedi Master to the Dark Side, thereby weakening the morale of the Jedi Order. Much like Odan-Urr's death did, Vodo Baas' conversion would have caused irreperable damage to the Jedi Order.

Also I think the Great Sith War is the greatest epic saga beside the movies, I really hope they make EP 7, 8, 9 base on it.

That would make an epic movie series. The Great Sith War was an epic war that could have destroyed the Jedi Order. Would love to see a movie series on that, or even just a TV show.

It is possible, but it could be that he wanted to turn a great Jedi Master to the Dark Side, thereby weakening the morale of the Jedi Order. Much like Odan-Urr's death did, Vodo Baas' conversion would have caused irreperable damage to the Jedi Order.

I think he still had some affection of his master, and he was trying to let power decide the path, that's Sith' logic and he accepted it well. I see he was indeed struggling before killed his master, and was in depression when he left there.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Exar Kun, I feel if he was a better tactician like Thrawn, Ackbar, Tarkin, or Revan (I mention him reluctantly to you) he could have conquered the entire republic and wiped out the jedi order considering power wise he was so ahead of his time. I think its safe to say( regardless of if its official canon or not) he is in the Top5 most powerful Sith Lords of all time (for me around 3-4).

Exar Kun, I feel if he was a better tactician like Thrawn, Ackbar, Tarkin, or Revan (I mention him reluctantly to you) he could have conquered the entire republic and wiped out the jedi order considering power wise he was so ahead of his time. I think its safe to say( regardless of if its official canon or not) he is in the Top5 most powerful Sith Lords of all time (for me around 3-4).

I think Exar Kuns mistake was that he didn't expect Ulic to turn back to abandon the dark side. His mistake was similar to Tarkin's mistake in the end of Episode IV. He was not as good a tactician as the three first and he wasn't as good as Revan in planning long-time strategies, but he could still have conquered the galaxy, I think.

Wiping out the Jedi is impossible, though. Just as wiping out the Sith. They always return somehow...

During this time, Exar Kun unleashed his Terentateks on Jedi occupied worlds of Tython, Kashyyyk, and Tatooine. These beasts fed on the blood of Force users and proved an incredibly dangerous foe to the Jedi Order.

Hmm, Tython. Wasn't it lost at that time?

Edited by Maaruin

I think Exar Kuns mistake was that he didn't expect Ulic to turn back to abandon the dark side. His mistake was similar to Tarkin's mistake in the end of Episode IV. He was not as good a tactician as the three first and he wasn't as good as Revan in planning long-time strategies, but he could still have conquered the galaxy, I think.

Wiping out the Jedi is impossible, though. Just as wiping out the Sith. They always return somehow...

Hmm, Tython. Wasn't it lost at that time?

He could never have expected it. Ulic's return to the Light was completely unexpected. You can't really compare Exar Kun to Thrawn or Revan, as he had a different command strategy. Exar Kun employed a plan to devastate the galaxy, not conquer it.

Knowledge of Tython still remained, but the Jedi had abandoned it for Ossus. Exar Kun unleashed the terentateks on the world to devastate. Tython was cleansed of the Terentateks during the Great Hunt.

Bit late to the party but oh well, great analysis Aurbere. Whenever I tried to read up on the Great Sith War I found myself baffled and confused when I attempted to read the Wookieepedia page. Your anaylsis is far easier to understand and I think I've finally got a handle on this topic.

So the recap (and test my knowledge):

- Kun turns to the dark side on Yavin IV and enslaves an army of Massassi. Kun then steals some artificacts on Ossus and kills the super-historian dude. Then he convinces other Jedi to join him using a holocron.

- Kun sends his Brotherhood to kill their masters which is largely successful, Kun then tracks down Ulic and they reach a stalemate. Some ghosts anoint them Dark Lords of the Sith and the Krath and Massassi join forces along with the Jedi.

- Lots of war, Mandalorian Crusaders invade Deep Core, Ulic defeats them and they join. More war, invasion of Coruscant fails and Ulic is captured. Rescued by Kun who kills his old master.

- More war, Keto attempts to betray Kun but Kun tricks her and sets off a supernova to drive the Jedi off Ossus. Invade Ossus and take the artifacts, Ulic kills his brother and is severed from the Force by Sunrider and is redeemed.

- War begins to shift in the Republic's favour with Ulic's knowledge. Mandalorian attack on Onderon fails and Mandalore gets eaten by the savage fauna of Dxun. Ulic leads the Jedi to Yavin IV, Kun attempts to flee as a 'spirit' but is trapped for all eternity. The End.

That's my new understanding of the Great Sith War, thankyou Aurbere. :D

Edited by Beniboybling

Bit late to the party but oh well, great analysis Aurbere. Whenever I tried to read up on the Great Sith War I found myself baffled and confused when I attempted to read the Wookieepedia page. Your anaylsis is far easier to understand and I think I've finally got a handle on this topic.

- Kun turns to the dark side on Yavin IV and enslaves an army of Massassi. Kun then steals some artificacts on Ossus and kills the super-historian dude. Then he convinces other Jedi to join him using a holocron.

- Kun sends his Brotherhood to kill their masters which is largely successful, Kun then tracks down Ulic and they reach a stalemate. Some ghosts anoint them Dark Lords of the Sith and the Krath and Massassi join forces along with the Jedi.

- Lots of war, Mandalorian Crusaders invade Deep Core, Ulic defeats them and they join. More war, invasion of Coruscant fails and Ulic is captured. Rescued by Kun who kills his old master.

- More war, Keto attempts to betray Kun but Kun tricks her and sets off a supernova to drive the Jedi off Ossus. Invade Ossus and take the artifacts, Ulic kills his brother and is severed from the Force by Sunrider and is redeemed.

- War begins to shift in the Republic's favour with Ulic's knowledge. Mandalorian attack on Onderon fails and Mandalore gets eaten by the savage fauna of Dxun. Ulic leads the Jedi to Yavin IV, Kun attempts to flee as a 'spirit' but is trapped for all eternity. The End.

That's my new understanding of the Great Sith War, thankyou Aurbere. :D

Pretty much sums it up. Glad I could straighten it out for you. :)

Some small mistakes fixed. The facts were right, but some happened in a different order.

- [Kun wants to research the dark side. He goes to the Tomb of Freedon Nadd and encounters his spirit. Nadd guides him to the dark side while he travels to Korriban and Yavin IV.]Kun turns to the dark side on Yavin IV and enslaves an army of Massassi.

- Kun then tracks down Ulic and they reach a stalemate. Some ghosts anoint them Dark Lords of the Sith and the Krath and Massassi join forces along.

- Lots of war, Mandalorian Crusaders invade Deep Core, Ulic defeats them and they join. [in the meantime] Kun steals some artificacts [a holocron] on Ossus and kills the super-historian dude. Then he convinces other Jedi to join him using a holocron [the one he just stole].

-More war, invasion of Coruscant fails ([because of] Keto attempts to betray [ulic]) and Ulic is captured. Kun sends his Brotherhood to kill their masters which is largely successful. Kun kills his old master and rescues Ulic.

- More war, Kun [and Ulic] trick Aleema Keto and into setting off a supernova to drive the Jedi off Ossus. Invade Ossus and take the artifacts, Ulic kills his brother and is severed from the Force by Sunrider and is redeemed.

Edited by Maaruin