a suggestion for more competitive unranked WZ games. Reset all 'long' CD's on death.

aslater

I've recently came back to swtor after a few years and I actually enjoy the unranked PVP scene on SS. Personally, I find the most enjoyable games are ones that are somewhat close, either on the scoreboard (k/d's) or in terms of objectives, (doesn't have to be both). Win or lose, close games are better than steamrolls (winning or losing), I imagine I'm not alone feeling this way.

Some obvious culprits being group ques/matchmaking (unfortunately these may always be an issue), but imho, also due to punishing game design in terms of "reviving" / re-entering the map/arena staggered (without teammates) but more significantly, without all of your offensive and defensive CD's available (medpack/adrenal included).

Would it be too gamebreaking if all CD's were reset (exclusion to life warden/maybe some others IDK) on death, similarly to how arena deathmatches work? It would be a small, but impactful boost, for the team/player that just lost the opening skirmish, since their opponents CD's may not be up in time for the next encounter, while theirs' would.. Ideally, this would promote a more back-and-forth match and reduce the amount of games, where players just quit after they, and/or their team gets wiped in the opening minutes and cement their teams doom. I admit, this suggestion may not be 'fair' for the winning side, but eh w/e, hopefully more WZ matches would be close/competitive and therefore more enjoyable for everyone, that's the point of unranked, right?

Also, this change wouldn't be too strong for maps like novare coast, but i think would help out voidstar/odessan and obviously, it only really affects CD's of 2-3 minutes. Has anything like this been tried/discussed and ruled out previously (pts, previous patches etc) ? Overall its a pretty minor change, but i think it could help.

Cheers.

I've recently came back to swtor after a few years and I actually enjoy the unranked PVP scene on SS. Personally, I find the most enjoyable games are ones that are somewhat close, either on the scoreboard (k/d's) or in terms of objectives, (doesn't have to be both). Win or lose, close games are better than steamrolls (winning or losing), I imagine I'm not alone feeling this way.

Some obvious culprits being group ques/matchmaking (unfortunately these may always be an issue), but imho, also due to punishing game design in terms of "reviving" / re-entering the map/arena staggered (without teammates) but more significantly, without all of your offensive and defensive CD's available (medpack/adrenal included).

Would it be too gamebreaking if all CD's were reset (exclusion to life warden/maybe some others IDK) on death, similarly to how arena deathmatches work? It would be a small, but impactful boost, for the team/player that just lost the opening skirmish, since their opponents CD's may not be up in time for the next encounter, while theirs' would.. Ideally, this would promote a more back-and-forth match and reduce the amount of games, where players just quit after they, and/or their team gets wiped in the opening minutes and cement their teams doom. I admit, this suggestion may not be 'fair' for the winning side, but eh w/e, hopefully more WZ matches would be close/competitive and therefore more enjoyable for everyone, that's the point of unranked, right?

Also, this change wouldn't be too strong for maps like novare coast, but i think would help out voidstar/odessan and obviously, it only really affects CD's of 2-3 minutes. Has anything like this been tried/discussed and ruled out previously (pts, previous patches etc) ? Overall its a pretty minor change, but i think it could help.

Cheers.

Just curious are you still gearing up and if so how are you doing it?

I just started playing again and run vet mode FPS for gears seems I get about 1-3 gear piece upgrades per run. Guessing at this rate, I ought to be fully geared in a few weeks? I dunno.

Just wondering how others that came back are leveling up and getting gears. :o

Just curious are you still gearing up and if so how are you doing it?

I just started playing again and run vet mode FPS for gears seems I get about 1-3 gear piece upgrades per run. Guessing at this rate, I ought to be fully geared in a few weeks? I dunno.

Just wondering how others that came back are leveling up and getting gears. :o

I Still had a friend playing who quickly helped me get to 306,...Then showed me how to generate 2k+ tech frags an hour. Involved solo farming red reaper (max renown/exp boosts, ~15 min runs, + about 15-20 treasure hunting loot boxes per run , needed 5 max lvl companions). Got 5 characters with their full primary set with some lucky conquest crates. (still took me about 2 months lol, could only stand so much red reaper. But with some serious red reaper dedication its a complete set in like 10-15 hours)

The issue with your scenario is people would seek out early deaths just to get the added abilities off cool down it would be strategically used I think.

Generally, I'm not sure that seeking out early deaths would help with objectives. Maybe hypergate in delaying/stalling point capture, but your also just feeding the other team points. In any case, players from both teams have that option available, could make for some interesting/fun matches :D.

Also, the main purpose of the suggestion is to try and reduce the amount of total pub-stomps (it won't prevent it, I know), and the subsequent /afk'ers which exacerbates the problem even worse. WZ like those are unfun/boring for either side.

So ya, a change like this, isn't trying to address fairness, or competitive balance. In fact, It does the opposite, it provides a crutch for a weaker side but, in doing so, hopefully improves the experience for both sides.

lol ya give me guarded by the force back off cd after every death. Great idea.

Sarcasm?

If you're still dying multiple times before that cooldown would normally refresh, unfortunately this idea wouldn't be strong enough to support you, since ya know, you're still dying...

Edited by aslater

Sarcasm?

If you're still dying multiple times before that cooldown would normally refresh, unfortunately this idea wouldn't be strong enough to support you, since ya know, you're still dying...

Guarded by the force is a 3 minute CD and it absorbs 99% of all incoming damage for several seconds. If you think resetting that skill on death is a good idea.....lmao no. Same for barrier and a myriad of other powerful CD's that are on 3 minute CD's for a reason. Don't panic burn the CD and you'll have it when you actually need it.