Marauder / Sentinel Changes in 5.9

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Marauders /Sentinels are the only Classes in 5.9 that are receiving slightly different changes than the other Classes this patch so I wanted to call them out separately. Here are the changes:

Maurader

• The Ruthless Aggressor utility has been changed so that activating Obfuscate temporarily yields a 75% increase in damage reduction for Force and tech attacks instead of a 75% chance to resist all Force and tech attacks.

Fury

• Reduced the damage done by Bloody Slashes by 18.5%

Sentinel

• The Zealous Judgment utility has been changed so that activating Pacify temporarily yields a 75% increase in damage reduction for Force and tech attacks instead of a 75% chance to resist all Force and tech attacks.

Concentration

• Reduced the damage done by Burning Slices by 18.5%

We are making two changes. First, following last year's balance pass, these Classes are still slightly overperforming. The change to Bloody Slashes / Burning Slices is looking to address this.

The second change is more of a functionality change. Ruthless Aggressor / Zealous Judgment would create a situation where there was very little counterplay against a Marauder / Sentinel during the effect of Obfuscate / Pacify. Since it created a chance to resist effects, it meant damage and crowd control were inconsistent against them. The change we are making is that instead of a 75% chance to miss, it adds 75% damage reduction. Now, a Marauder or Sentinel can be crowd controlled during the effect, but it will still allow them to take greatly reduced damage.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

Lmao, 75% damage reduction for 6 seconds is just as overpowered as 75% of cc immunity and resistance to yellow damage for 6 seconds xd

It's significantly weaker now, sure they'll take a lot less damage from force/tech during ruthless aggressor, but at least you can stun them now

Lmao, 75% damage reduction for 6 seconds is just as overpowered as 75% of cc immunity and resistance to yellow damage for 6 seconds xd

It's a sideways move.

It still has a baseline of crippling a targets white damage for 6s

But 75% resist to 75% damage reduction vs yellow is trading RNG BS for a powerful guaranteed effect.

It's still just as powerful as before but differently.

Why not just give Burning Slices back to Combat since you wrecked it. It's a solid 1k behind Concentration on a dummy though less so in actual fights. I just can't understand how you think that class is balanced now. Last time i checked mara/sent wasn't even top dog, plasmatech was but yet again with the nerf bat. Getting real tired of farming mats to make new fancy augments just so that I can get back the dps you keep taking away. This is a joke.

It's a sideways move.

It still has a baseline of crippling a targets white damage for 6s

But 75% resist to 75% damage reduction vs yellow is trading RNG BS for a powerful guaranteed effect.

It's still just as powerful as before but differently.

Well not really, as someone said now it does nothing to all forms of CC and kb's whereas before it made you likely to resist them. That's an extremely powerful effect, gone.

In terms of DR, you trade RNG for consistency. In terms of CC immunity, you trade a good chance at it for nothing. Quite a big loss.

Hey folks,

Marauders /Sentinels are the only Classes in 5.9 that are receiving slightly different changes than the other Classes this patch so I wanted to call them out separately. Here are the changes:

Maurader

• The Ruthless Aggressor utility has been changed so that activating Obfuscate temporarily yields a 75% increase in damage reduction for Force and tech attacks instead of a 75% chance to resist all Force and tech attacks.

Fury

Sentinel

• The Zealous Judgment utility has been changed so that activating Pacify temporarily yields a 75% increase in damage reduction for Force and tech attacks instead of a 75% chance to resist all Force and tech attacks.

Concentration

We are making two changes. First, following last year's balance pass, these Classes are still slightly overperforming. The change to Bloody Slashes / Burning Slices is looking to address this.

The second change is more of a functionality change. Ruthless Aggressor / Zealous Judgment would create a situation where there was very little counterplay against a Marauder / Sentinel during the effect of Obfuscate / Pacify. Since it created a chance to resist effects, it meant damage and crowd control were inconsistent against them. The change we are making is that instead of a 75% chance to miss, it adds 75% damage reduction. Now, a Marauder or Sentinel can be crowd controlled during the effect, but it will still allow them to take greatly reduced damage.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Just curious, are there any changes being made to carnage and its mirror or is that spec performing within a reasonable level?

Just curious, are there any changes being made to carnage and its mirror or is that spec performing within a reasonable level?

It's broken as hell, specially PvP.

Carnage is just straight horrible to level with. Fury is much more friendly for the starters and thing is, they stick with it.

In PvP, you get constant stun immunity and auto crits that actually deal significant damage and honestly, the skill gap on this spec is just significantly lower. Everyone can just spend 5 minutes and know what the "rotation" intended was.

The only nerfs I'd like to see would be removing the retard stun immunity and perhaps change the auto crit for increased 15% damage on the same abilities. They plainly nerfed every spec and left Fury basically untouched :\

Edited by memerobot

Hey folks,

Maurader

Fury

Sentinel

Concentration

Thanks everyone!

-eric

In previous class balance you said that maras underperform so u buffed bloody slashes damage. Now you say it overperforms, and that you nerf bloody slashes.

You contradict yourself guys

Carnage is just straight horrible to level with. Fury is much more friendly for the starters and thing is, they stick with it.

In PvP, you get constant stun immunity and auto crits that actually deal significant damage and honestly, the skill gap on this spec is just significantly lower. Everyone can just spend 5 minutes and know what the "rotation" intended was.

The only nerfs I'd like to see would be removing the retard stun immunity and perhaps change the auto crit for increased 15% damage on the same abilities. They plainly nerfed every spec and left Fury basically untouched :\

Mate, I main a fury marauder and returned to carnage after more than one year...

It's so horrible. I can't do 3 hits in a row without getting smashed , stunned or pushed or whatever....

I can live with these changes to marauder. It won't make any significant difference.

In previous class balance you said that maras underperform so u buffed bloody slashes damage. Now you say it overperforms, and that you nerf bloody slashes.

You contradict yourself guys

i literally thought the same, but back then they buffed bloody slashes for 35% ....they're basically cutting the buff in half

Either I am completely misunderstanding your post, or you didn't read the patch notes. They are nerfing RA (Ruthless Aggressor) fairly hard. In case you don't already know how it works, RA is a utility that works in conjunction with Obfuscate. Effectively, it gives the Fury Marauder 6 seconds of CC immunity every 45 seconds. This is the basis for nearly every complaint about Fury Marauders. In 5.9, they are removing the 75% chance to miss (which is where the CC immunity came from), and are instead replacing it with 75% DR. While that might seem like a good tradeoff, without the CC immunity, for good players who know how to pay attention to buffs/debuffs, it will be fairly easy to just CC that Fury Marauder whenever they pop Obfuscate and just target swap for the duration until that 6 seconds of DR is gone, at which point they can happily resume killing that Fury Marauder.

It's really no different than Mercenary/Commando reflect, where you stop attacking them while that's up. There are other abilities that mimic this design, so it's nothing new, but requires a little more player awareness. Similarly, the Fury Marauder player will need to use Obfuscate more judiciously (saving it for big hits), whereas before, you'd use Obfuscate nearly every time it was up.

Without that CC immunity, Fury Maras will no longer be able to attack targets with impunity, and will be subject to the CC fest that characterizes PvP in this game. In summary, Fury was definitely nerfed.

CC immunity is specific to fury..

Why you want to ruin a spec just because you can't counter it ? Let's remove CC immunity from PVP altogether and we are fair and square then.

Either I am completely misunderstanding your post, or you didn't read the patch notes. They are nerfing RA (Ruthless Aggressor) fairly hard. In case you don't already know how it works, RA is a utility that works in conjunction with Obfuscate. Effectively, it gives the Fury Marauder 6 seconds of CC immunity every 45 seconds. This is the basis for nearly every complaint about Fury Marauders. In 5.9, they are removing the 75% chance to miss (which is where the CC immunity came from), and are instead replacing it with 75% DR. While that might seem like a good tradeoff, without the CC immunity, for good players who know how to pay attention to buffs/debuffs, it will be fairly easy to just CC that Fury Marauder whenever they pop Obfuscate and just target swap for the duration until that 6 seconds of DR is gone, at which point they can happily resume killing that Fury Marauder.

It's really no different than Mercenary/Commando reflect, where you stop attacking them while that's up. There are other abilities that mimic this design, so it's nothing new, but requires a little more player awareness. Similarly, the Fury Marauder player will need to use Obfuscate more judiciously (saving it for big hits), whereas before, you'd use Obfuscate nearly every time it was up.

Without that CC immunity, Fury Maras will no longer be able to attack targets with impunity, and will be subject to the CC fest that characterizes PvP in this game. In summary, Fury was definitely nerfed.

I think he means the CC immunity Fury gets for using Crush. Which if you think about it, makes zero sense that they get this when you compare it to the Jugg version of the spec. They're already far tankier than the Jugg when you factor in Cloak of Pain, Obfuscate with RA, Predation and Camo, this suite of cd's easily beats Enraged Defense, Saber Reflect and Endure Pain, and the only other real advantages the Jugg has is guard (which in most cases is just suicide since he'll get focused first anyways), Intercede (Predation is better in almost every way), and taunts (again Jugg will get focused first so useless).

I think the reasoning behind them giving this to the Mara was that they can't spec Unstoppable, but I guarantee every Rage Jugg would trade Unstoppable for that CC immunity on crush in a heartbeat. Just poor game design.

Edited by wadecounty

• 3 weeks later...

How about reducing it by 18.5% and then giving it back to Combat/Carnage? You know the discipline that no one plays now because you nerfed it into oblivion. Hell you have to have a separate gear set for it to make it even remotely competitive now.

Hey folks,

Maurader

Fury

Sentinel

Concentration

Thanks everyone!

-eric

How about reducing it by 18.5% and then giving it back to Combat/Carnage? You know the discipline that no one plays now because you nerfed it into oblivion. Hell you have to have a separate gear set for it to make it even remotely competitive now.

you asking to much, pretty sure they dont play this game in live environment just on closed servers, which would explain all the other changes happen in 5.9, which technically isnt gona fix anything, they just added to problems with most there changes. the tank changes are horrible to really they hurt actual tanks while doesnt fix the shank problem, and when I read the utility changes all I had to say was wth your adding to the problem?

that skeleton crew running swtor and changing things shows

Edited by Kyuuu

you asking to much, pretty sure they dont play this game in live environment just on closed servers, which would explain all the other changes happen in 5.9, which technically isnt gona fix anything, they just added to problems with most there changes. the tank changes are horrible to really they hurt actual tanks while doesnt fix the shank problem, and when I read the utility changes all I had to say was wth your adding to the problem?

that skeleton crew running swtor and changing things shows

Are you sure you can't think of any bad ideas that were implemented when there was a larger swtor team...

• 2 weeks later...