An in-depth look at combat: Lumiya

Beniboybling

"I don't think the three of us are a match for Lumiya. She fought the Grand Master to a standstill. She's Master level. We're two Jedi Knights and one Force-blind space jockey."

~ Zekk, to Jaina Solo and Jagged Fel

Height: 1.8 metres

Physicality: Lumiya is in excellent physical condition. Having undergone brutal stormtrooper training as well as been trained as an Imperial operative, Lumiya likely possesses a considerably degree of strength, stamina and endurance.

However after undergoing cybernetic modification these abilities were enhanced, as well as her pain threshold and improved healing capabilities, making her capable of enduring and recovering from large amounts of physical damage.

==================================================

Melee Abilities

While possessing knowledge of lightsabers lightsaber forms, Lumiya eschewed the contemporary weapon of the Jedi and Sith and instead favoured a custom-made lightwhip.

She was however, extremely skilled with this weapon and regarded as a master duellist.

Lightwhip: Lumiya’s weapon was a combination of tangible extensions and coherent lightsaber energy crafted from near-indestructible Mandalorian iron and powered by shards of the Kaiburr crystal. The nature of each coil varied, some were made from leather studded with Mandalorian iron, others pure metal, while the rest when activated were made from plasma, capable of rending through durasteel and cleaving off body parts.

The weapon was designed for long-range assaults, and the sheer unpredictability, variation and wide arc of the tendrils made it extremely difficult for an opponent to get in range. Furthermore with the ability to manipulate the length and attack pattern of the tendrils, Lumiya was able to strike at multiple angles simultaneously and attack with precision.

It can also be assumed that as an effective stun weapon, with extensive range and radius, Lumiya would prove very effective against multiple opponents. Furthermore if a duellist were to have their lightsaber ensnared by Lumiya’s whip they could find themselves disarmed. Finally Lumiya was able to shorten the blade and use it like a shoto to deflect close range attacks, she even able to use the weapon as a staff in defend herself.

Lumiya was also proficient in various forms of hand-to-hand fighting, including Echani and Noghri Stava, making her a very capable unarmed fighter.

Force Abilities

While Lumiya lacked considerable Force ability, she was strong in the Force an under Vader’s tutelage and her own repository of holocrons, mastered a variety of potent abilities.

Telekinesis: Lumiya was capable of rudimentary but nonetheless effective uses of telekinesis, able to launch projectiles at her opponents in situ while also able to use the Force to deflect projectiles thrown at her.

Altogether applying the ability practically and effectively in battle.

Force Enhancement: Lumiya was able to augment her resolve with the Force, giving her the power overcome injury, something that would prove useful in an extended battle. Lumiya also possessed exceptional reflexes, and as such could keep up with powerful opponents.

Force Concealment: Lumiya was highly skilled in the art of concealment, capable of masking her presence from even the most powerful of Force Users. Something she could no doubt apply to effect in a combat situation if she wished to slip away or ambush her enemy.

Force Illusion: Easily her most powerful ability, Lumiya was capable of illusions of all kind including mental manipulation of people’s thoughts. She was also able to conceal her own appearance, make alterations to the physical world, and project Force phantoms, tangible entities forged from the dark side and fully capable of inflicting harm on others. Techniques which would prove of great use in disorientating opponents and turning allies against them.

Other Abilities

Lumiya was a cunning manipulator and strategist, often using her advantages to maximum effect during a duel with a superior opponent. She was also experienced in setting a variety of traps, and her training at Imperial Intelligence made her an expert in stealth, which in turn would make covert ambushes and escapes all the more effective.

Strengths

Lumiya’s most obvious strength is her unorthodoxy of her style, something most duelists are totally unfamiliar with, her weapon being even more exotic and problematic than the traditional variant. This gives Lumiya a considerable advantage in any one duel before the engagement has even begun. With most duellists being incapable of launching a proper counter-attack, the whip confounding traditional lightsaber techniques, and inevitably finding their defenses failing. This is Dun Moch in itself, as the intimidating aspect of her lightwhip could cause an opponent to lose hope.

However a perhaps even more significant strength is Lumiya’s profound ability to manipulate the battlefield. Her whip affords her the ability to attack from multiple angles, and keep her opponent where she wants them. This is supplemented by Lumiya’s Force power, with illusions she can manipulate the environment around her and turn it against her opponent, and with Force concealment she can control how and when the battle begins, and potentially retreat and reengage to regain the advantage.

And finally with her advanced training in several other fields of combat, as well as her defensive capabilities, Lumiya has resources to fall back on if her offense were to fail.

As such Lumiya’s preferred tactic would and appears to be primarily offense, violently harassing her enemy with her lightsaber while manipulating the environment around her to sustain a state of confusion and prevent the enemy from using their full abilities. The result is an opponent baffled and incapable of mounting an effective counter-attack, while Lumiya remains in control of every aspect of the duel, and exploits her advantages completely.

Weaknesses

While first impressions of Lumiya’s lightwhip would make her appear impossible to defeat, through a combination of patience, tenacity and cunning, weaknesses can be found and exploited. The most obvious of these was her weakness against Jar’Kai duelling, in which a standard blade could be used to ensnare the tendrils, then shred them with a shoto. The metal and leather parts of the whip were especially vulnerable to this, but even the energy beams could be shorted out if sufficient force was applied with a lightsaber.

Lumiya’s lightwhip could also prove a hazard to allies around her, and a cunning opponent could manipulate the environment in such a way that would have Lumiya's allies find themselves caught in a deadly friendly fire.

Lumiya’s offense and subsequent defence could also be overwhelmed through a combination of sheer speed and strength. Closing the gap between them through speed, potentially exploiting the gaps between swings – which in turn could be slowed by a well-timed Force push or other distraction – and battering away at her defences with strength, driving her into a corner. Use of Force leaps could also be used to bypass her tendrils to mount a close range assault.

And ultimately as a Force User lacking in prodigious strength, she was vulnerable to powerful Force based attacks, and a superior Force User could potentially use Force grip against her, or worse, Force Lightning. A power to which one would imagine may end up doing extensive damage to her cybernetic parts, which lacked insulation protection.

Counter-Strengths

In order to exploit the weaknesses of Lumiya’s style, prior experience is often needed. Both to gather the necessary weaponry to defeat her, and to avoid being initially confounded by a completely foreign and frightening weapon. In such a case, most duellists would simply be overwhelmed before they can even consider how they might effectively counterattack. With a possible manipulation of the battleground making it all the more difficult to fight back.

In regards to her vulnerability against Force-based attacks, in Lumiya’s case the best defence is a good offense. But harrowing her opponents with the force of her lightwhip she can ensure in most cases that they simply won’t have the opportunity to use the Force against her, lest they leave themselves open to attack, so she can contend with the best.

Quotes, Clips and Scans

Lumiya handily defeats ROTJ Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader’s equal in combat, demonstrating the offense power and unorthodox strength of her lightwhip:

http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-4028958

http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-4028959

http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-4028960

http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-4028961

http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-4028962

http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-4028963

http://www.comicvine.com/images/1300-4028964

A demonstration of Lumiya’s ability to confound traditional lightsaber styles:

Nelani lunged forward again, spinning her lightsaber into a defensive shield.

Lumiya’s lightwhip flicked around the edges of the shield. Ends of several tendrils rapped into Nelani’s chest and right bicep, creating small blood and burn spots. Nelani cried out and danced back again, baffled by the older woman’s superior technique.

--Taken from Legacy of the Force: Betrayal

Lumiya vs Luke, in which Lumiya applies many of her strengths and capabilities:

Luke silenced the Twi’lek with a bone-crunching back kick, then hurled himself at Lumiya, both blades striking for the kill. He knew better than to think victory would come so easily, but he had to keep her attention riveted on him until Mara struck.

Lumiya’s counter was, of course, masterful. She flicked her whip at Luke’s legs, forcing him into a high somersault that bought her half a second to spin away. He came down a couple of paces inside the cantina, framed in the hatchway and facing the murky corridor where Alema crouched, hidden inside her Force shadow.

Finally Skywalker feinted a leap for the hatchway. When Lumiya made the mistake of trying only halfheartedly to block his "escape," he made an unbelievable parry across his body with his short blade, then spun into a slashing, whirling advance with his long blade.

Lumiya had no choice except to retreat. Skywalker vanished from the hatchway and out of Alema’s sight, then the last of the lightwhip’s metallic strands whirled past the hatchway. A fresh chorus of screams arose, and a jet of blood arced out of the cantina to splat down in a line of elongated red beads.

When Alema looked back into the cantina, it was to find Mara crouching opposite her, just inside the hatchway and facing away. Half a dozen meters beyond her, Skywalker and Lumiya were fighting a frantic battle in the midst of the crowd, Skywalker trying to remain in clear areas so no bystanders would be injured, Lumiya working to keep those same bystanders in front of her so Skywalker could not attack without cutting his way through them first.

Now was Alema’s chance - but it would not be enough to simply kill Mara. Alema was a Jedi, and Jedi served the Balance.

As she filled her lungs, Alema was also reaching out to Skywalker, sharing with him all the sorrow and loneliness and despair he had caused her - the shame and hopelessness and unending anguish.

A bolt of surprise shot through the Force. Skywalker’s eyes widened and slid toward the hatchway - and that was all the opening Lumiya needed.

The lightwhip cracked again, wrapping Skywalker in a fiery cage of light and leather. The short blade went flying, taking along the hand that had been holding it, and Sky-walker’s robe fell away below the armpits in ribbons, leaving the air pink and smoky with blood and charred flesh.

And time was something Luke did not have. He could feel that in the fire eating his lungs, in the raw nettling of his flesh. His breath came in inadequate gasps, and his blood was bubbling from his side in a pink froth. He was calling on the Force to keep fighting, drawing it through himself faster than his body could endure, literally boiling his own cells. At most, he had another minute of fight in him . . . maybe less.

Luke had to end this now.

He blocked a pair of crackling energy strands with his lightsaber and flung them aside, then launched himself across a daqball table toward Lumiya. She countered by pivoting away, bringing between them a Twi’lek serving girl. He could have continued the attack, slicing through the chests of both shield and captor, but even desperate, he could not kill a hostage. He threw himself into an aerial cartwheel and came down on a slick, utensil-strewn floor squarely facing Lumiya.

Her hand flicked, and the lightwhip came arcing toward his head. Luke dropped to his haunches and let it crackle past overhead. Then, when Lumiya started to back away from the expected lunge at her midsection, he hit her hard with a Force shove and spun her half around. She crashed into a drink table and nearly fell, but quickly brought her hostage around to protect her from an attack.

Luke smiled and raised his arm, pointing his lightsaber toward the serving girl, then using the Force to wrench her free of Lumiya’s grasp, he sent her flying across the claqball table. She crashed down on the other side in a heap, screaming in terror but far safer than she had been a moment earlier.

By then Lumiya had recovered from her stumble, and the lightwhip was snaking back toward Luke. He sprang into a round-off, wrapping the tip of his blade into the crackling strands as he passed over upside down. He landed on the claqball table’s squishy surface and jerked backward with all his might.

And that was when his mangled body failed him. Instead of yanking the weapon from Lumiya’s hand, his lightsaber slipped out of his own grasp and went flying into the shadows. Luke cursed in disbelief-then rolled off the table in a backward somersault.

Even that turned into a disaster. He landed on the body of one of Lumiya’s original victims and-too weak to steady himself-hit the floor with an audible thump. He could sense Mara out in the corridor, concentrating intently on something, very frightened and urging him to wait for her, not to press the attack until she was there.

There was no chance of that. Luke’s strength was failing so fast that he feared Jacen’s betrayal would cost him his life. And when Lumiya was done with him, she would be free to go attack Mara, as well. His chest tightened with an emotion that might have been anger or sorrow or fear-and was probably all those things at once. Jacen had betrayed them . . . which could only mean that somewhere along the line, Luke had failed Jacen.

--Taken from Legacy of the Force: Tempest

A demonstration of Lumiya’s strength, blocking the attacks of a blood lusted Luke:

One—two—three—four; she blocked him, handle held this way, then that, using the whip like a short lightsaber to deflect him, but Luke didn't pause or shift direction to wrong-foot her. He drove her like a battering ram toward the edge of the mesa, pushing her within meters, then a step, of the edge.

Lumiya held the whip handle in both hands like a staff and blocked his downward sweep. For a moment they were locked in a stalemate, pushing against each other and grunting with the effort, with only the sounds of exertion because they had nothing left to say to each other.

--Taken from Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice

Thoughts: Lumiya may not be a powerful Force User, but she remains a master combatant in her own way. All her abilities to manipulate translate into her combat style, and are potent enough to trip up even the best of duellists.

If you’ve got any suggestions for future in-depths or any quotes, clips or scans to add feel free to post below. And as always thoughts and opinions are welcome! Also check out my previous installments in the index!

Edited by Beniboybling

I never posted my analysis of her abilities in the PH's first Kaggath, so I will paraphrase my final thoughts here.

Lumiya, in my estimation, is the height of radical unpredictability. Her weapon is a radical variation of an already radical lightsaber variant, and thus its natural advantages are even more dangerous. She stands in the same vein as Exar Kun and General Grievous, except her weapon is even more dangerous than the weapon used by Kun and the whirling fury of General Grievous. Shock and Awe at its height, and that is why she is so dangerous.

Very nice work, Beni. And I totally guessed that this was made for the Kaggath. :D

Im not going to read this until the actual thing, for fear of going over the leadership battle in my head and deciding a victor prematurely....

However; Inb4 "An In-depth look at combat: Inquisitor Jerec"

I guess it's my turn now...

Edited by Selenial

I never posted my analysis of her abilities in the PH's first Kaggath, so I will paraphrase my final thoughts here.

Lumiya, in my estimation, is the height of radical unpredictability. Her weapon is a radical variation of an already radical lightsaber variant, and thus its natural advantages are even more dangerous. She stands in the same vein as Exar Kun and General Grievous, except her weapon is even more dangerous than the weapon used by Kun and the whirling fury of General Grievous. Shock and Awe at its height, and that is why she is so dangerous.

Very nice work, Beni. And I totally guessed that this was made for the Kaggath. :D

That is a beautiful description. :D

Yes... yes... notice how Grievous and Savage are there too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBr9oOalsKI

Im not going to read this until the actual thing, for fear of going over the leadership battle in my head and deciding a victor prematurely....

I was just thinking that a Jerec thread would show up before the Kaggath starts. :p

If you plan on doing Revan, I would very intrigued to read it.

Yup a blatant attempt to big up my faction here. :D

No but really, I always try to look at less explored fighters, so I can break new ground, so Lumiya was ideal.

ROTJ Luke wasn't Vader's equal. He even stated in the Jedi Academy series that had Vader truly wanted to kill him he would have destroyed him. Vader was defeated by Luke because he couldn't hate luke and couldn't bring his hatred against Luke. He didn't want to kill him and he was battling himself more than he was even battling Luke Skywalker. Vader was not in his prime in this fight. He was stronger and deadlier during The Empire Strikes back. Luke called him on it. "You wouldn't destroy me then you won't destroy me now." If Vader hated Luke and wanted him to die he would have.

Just a little nitpick.

If you plan on doing Revan, I would very intrigued to read it.

He's next, you know who I'm doing first :p

I actually wrote it months ago, and asked Aurbere if I could post it in this series, I just never thought the time was right.

Edited by Selenial

ROTJ Luke wasn't Vader's equal. He even stated in the Jedi Academy series that had Vader truly wanted to kill him he would have destroyed him. Vader was defeated by Luke because he couldn't hate luke and couldn't bring his hatred against Luke. He didn't want to kill him and he was battling himself more than he was even battling Luke Skywalker. Vader was not in his prime in this fight. He was stronger and deadlier during The Empire Strikes back. Luke called him on it. "You wouldn't destroy me then you won't destroy me now." If Vader hated Luke and wanted him to die he would have.

Just a little nitpick.

I don't know what the quote says, but I'd have to disagree based on the following:

The fight this time was far more balanced. Vader discovered that Luke was his match, and, once again, the Sith Lord found his thoughts straying to an alliance between them against the Emperor.

Luke had indeed grown powerful since Bespin, and he was an equal match for his father.

--Source: The Official Star Wars Fact File #111

By the time of the Battle of Endor, Luke Skywalker has studied some lightsaber technique from Obi-Wan's journal and and greatly advanced his abilities. Without a Master, such advancement would have been impossible for most, Skywalker's unparalleled aptitude makes him a match for Darth Vader in their fateful duel onboard the second Death Star. Both are limited, Vader by his cybernetic body parts and Skywalker by his relative lack of experience dueling. But Skywalker's skill at blaster deflection is highly refined, and his lightsaber technique so superb that he is able to duel the Dark Lord on even footing - and finally able to defeat a man who is a powerful living product of the ancient Jedi sword traditions from time immemorial. Such an achievement with little formal training is a testament to Skywalker's innate abilities and instinctive skill. Tremendously strong with the Force, Skywalker never crosses the line into Sith hatefulness and ceases his attack immediately upon rendering his foe helpless - an even more impressive demonstration of self-mastery than his lightsaber skills.

--Source: "Insider 62: Fightsaber"

I also think the novel states that Vader resorted to giving it his all to demonstrate to Luke the true power of the dark side. Altogether I don't think it can be so easily stated that Vader was holding back, and clearly they were near equals. And ultimately subjective character statements are inferior to objective material from reference books.

EDIT: I'd add to that that the only person who was really holding back was Luke.

Edited by Beniboybling

I am afraid I lack the confidence, and the quotes, to do so without making an error... Not to mention I can't find digital copies of the books for my tablet to read. So unless one of you guys have one of these books...

Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire

Galaxy of Fear: Spore

Dark Forces: Rebel Agent

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (First appearance)

Dark Forces: Jedi Knight

Most of what I have for him is second hand, or direct quotes that are easily found. If I recall, the quotes I need from those are essentially.

Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire - All information concerning Jerec's first meeting with Katarn. *can't find the quotes*

Galaxy of Fear: Spore - Quotes concerning his manipulations and schemes. As well as his ambitions.

Dark Forces: Rebel Agent - I do believe this is the one where he ends up facing Morgan Katarn, if it wasn't in Soldier for the empire.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (First appearance) - Essentially all scenes he is in, in text. We can see the majority of them via videos, but it is in the text that reveal a bit of his power. Such as him using drain knowledge on Rahn.

Dark Forces: Jedi Knight - All mentions

Those are some of the key bits and pieces I am missing, though I could make an analysis without them, but I haven't done such a thing before so I would not be comfortable doing so without all the pieces.

I know it is unlikely you guys have these books, and it would take valuable time for you guys to find such information, but hey I can ask can't I? :D Unless... You guys want me to base the analysis on the wiki's information? :jawa_evil: Well, and the videos. :d_tongue: