Issues with Starfighter - Penalty for leaving early and Possible Cheating

CommanderOtto

Ok, i'll make it simple:

1. Add a heavy requisition and credit reward penalty for those cowards who quit their team when loosing badly. One person leaves, and we have to pay with more deaths and less requisition. I think that's not fair, and it's time that other players pay some consequence for abandoning the battle early. This wasn't such a problem before, but I have seen this become more and more common.

2. I have noticed that some players ships are nearly impossible to hit due to some form of cheating. I don't know what it is, but some ships are moving around the map, disappearing from one position and appearing again a few meters away. I suspect it could be lag from some players, but then I thought... It never happens in warzones... I have never seen players lagging and having their characters moving from place to place magically. Therefore, why should it happen in space pvp? Please bioware, have a look into this. Usually I would have just thought it was lag, but today when I was in starfighter I noticed a player started to "lag" right when he was about to die. If his health was ok, I could hit him, when he was doing bad, suddenly his ship started moving from place to place by a few meters. Have any others seen this happen? I'm a heavy starfighter guy, and I have never seen this before.. just this past month.

Edited by CommanderOtto

To answer your number 2... its been brought up a lot... its lag, its the way Space pvp ended being made that was different then ground that makes this more of a prevalent problem. Also the server has a harder time "predicting" where the person will be when the person is constantly changing trajectory....

The kind of behavior you describe in 2 is probably lag. although it wonders me that this kind of lag seems to appear mostly on the US servers I play and rarely on my EU server. Probably there are more "international" players on US servers.

In general: If they don't top the scores it's probably not a cheat.

As for point 1, I'd rather have someone who doesn't want to play leave than having him in my grroup self destructing over and over. Those self-destruct players are the only ones on my ignore list besides the credit sellers.

Edited by Danalon

Lag's also in part due to physical location. I have really good, stable pings on east coast servers in the 32ms range. When I fly on Bastion, I know it's usually around 100ms. I've not tried an EU server, but it wouldn't surprise me if my ping there was 150ms or more. Physical distance still makes a difference.

And part of the lag when someone's "about to die", it could be that they're on an older machine, and the panic motion throttles the processor, killing the framerate a bit, and thus their computer isn't doing the calculations quite fast enough to send out the info to the servers as fast, introducing a bit more lag.

As for getting penalized for leaving... If you leave a match early, you get nothing for the match. No credits. No requisition. No daily credit. I'm not down with fining people who want to preserve some time at that expense, or want to keep their KDR or whatever. I hate seeing people do it, but I'm not going to force them to stay in a game they don't want to be in.

1: No.

2: SWTOR's network code is... unusual. It's done by TCP (with something like 16000 ports!), which requires that all the packets arrive in order and intact, with none missing. If there's lag on the network or the packets get mixed up, TCP has issues. I'm betting SWTOR minimized those by spreading all this data across the 16000 ports: many lower-bandwidth simple streams instead of a big one, with possibly some redundancy thrown in would usually work out. They aren't as serious in the ground game because it's not nearly as fast-paced as a scout chase through the tunnels of Kuat Mesas. UDP leaves lag and mangled packets for the application to sort out, so a game would have to interpolate.

The system should be that anyone who is only self destructing also gets the not contributing flag, and anyone with a not contributing flag can get shot down by both teams without penalty towards their side's score. Edited by Archonitek

Ok, i'll make it simple:

1. Add a heavy requisition and credit reward penalty for those cowards who quit their team when loosing badly.

Players who drop queue don't get credit towards their quest, and they don't get any req for the match, and they don't get any credits. So, this already exists. Unless you mean that it should actually deduct req or credits at random, which is the dumbest idea I think I've ever seen on the forums- and that says a LOT.

The core reason this is a bad idea is simple- you'd force players who don't want to be there to stay. This has been covered by others, and no more needs to be said.

2. I have noticed that some players ships are nearly impossible to hit due to some form of cheating.

No one is cheating, it is lag.

Ok, i'll make it simple:

1. Add a heavy requisition and credit reward penalty for those cowards who quit their team when loosing badly. One person leaves, and we have to pay with more deaths and less requisition. I think that's not fair, and it's time that other players pay some consequence for abandoning the battle early. This wasn't such a problem before, but I have seen this become more and more common.

No. No barriers for Leaver! I despise them and do not want to play with them. Better they go, than they go camping and flaming.

Edited by Magira

(1) There are already penalties for this.

(2) Nearly every 'warp' manoeuvre is lag caused by the code, doesn't help if you are in the EU and playing on US servers late night either. That said, the ol' 'Print Screen' button routine is, sometimes, exploited by a certain nefarious players.

(2) Nearly every 'warp' manoeuvre is lag caused by the code, doesn't help if you are in the EU and playing on US servers late night either. That said, the ol' 'Print Screen' button routine is, sometimes, exploited by a certain nefarious players.

Yes, I also noticed from time to time. But has become rare. I also doubt whether to call it a "hack". Even if the cheater think so, it is not an advantage. I am now by playing on a US server from Europe accustomed to extreme lag and shoot without major problems even with that from self-induced lag. All a matter of practice.