Consequences for Light vs Dark Decisions For Opposite Faction

Burnz-GNR

Why does this forum have no search functionality?

Anyway, I'm wondering what sort of consequences will result from a Sith Empire side character always choosing Light Side decisions? (and vice versa)

I recently created a Bounty Hunter and I wanted to make the light-side decisions in the early level quests I've come across so far... but I wasn't sure if that will make things harder for myself later on down the road.

Has anyone developed a "good" bad guy character yet? Or a "bad" good guy?

The biggest consequence I can think of would be how your companions react to your choices.

From a strictly practical point of view, having a conventional alignment means that you'll raise your affection with most of them faster and you'll have to spend less buying gifts or farming gift missions. Maxing affection gives you some crafting and mission perks, so it's important to not neglect it.

However, choosing a controversial alignment isn't game-breaking. To avoid affection losses, just dismiss them before you turn in quests if you know they won't like your choices (you won't have this option when the conversation happens on the ship, during some class quests). It will still have an opportunity cost, in the sense that you won't gain anything, but at least you won't lose anything either.

The other thing you can do is always summon a companion who prefers your alignment. Each class gets a mix and it's not hard to figure out which prefers what. That way, you can at least max one of them pretty fast and just give the rest gifts.

It's possible that some quest givers may react differently to you if your alignment is unusual. It should be interesting to see, and if you try it and notice things, maybe you could come back here and let us know. I might try it for myself too because it's an idea I've been toying with.

I'm playing a chaotic good Imperial Agent, and so far has been making all the light choices. I'm about lvl 21 and some 2000 light side points. So yes, you can play light side and still affiliated with dark side. I think the quests and choices are very well written, for example, a quest is given to either make someone suffer or give him a quick death. the quick death is consider a "light choice". So you're not really saving this person, which is beyond your power , so the logical thing to do is picking the lesser evil, to go with your conscience, yet still stay true to your affiliation, and finish the quest in a believable and logical kind of way.

I don't know if there're quests that will require you to betray your side, but so far, I've been able to do the quest and stay light, there's really no consequences other than my companion didn't like me being good...LOL, but the penalty on their affection is minor, like 1 point each time.

It has mostly been summed up above but there is also the factor that some of your choices can come back to bite you on the ***. :rolleyes: Can't remember which or where but one of the Devs mentioned that it was particularly bad for the Jedi Knight class.

Gear and weapons are also affected by it, as you get more light/dark side points you gain ranks in either case, I am being good and I have a lightsaber that requires level 1 light side points (1000 points).

No idea why the website has no search function though, sorry.

I'd say that, beyond what's been outlined above, it's really going to come down to personal preference and how you want to see your story in-game play out. Sure, most of the time the actual difference between a Light and Dark side choice might just be a simple line of text in a larger conversation, but more often than not it will actually lead you down a different path toward completing an objective, or cause a quest's final outcome (in terms of content, not reward) to be altered in some way.

A good example of this is the Esseles flashpoint for Republic. About halfway through you have to make a choice, for a rather hefty Light or Dark side gain, to either vent a group of engineers out of an airlock into space, or save them and shut down a bunch of generators. Now, in this situation, taking the Dark side option lets you circumvent 3 whole objectives (shutting down the 3 generators) as well as having to cleave through a bunch of extra enemies.

Also, in the same flashpoint, you are asked by a Republic officer to leave Asara behind when boarding the Imperial vessel. When you are given the chance to do this later on near the end of the mission, you can either get back on the ship to return to the Esseles OR you can tell Asara you need to chat with her. From there, you are still given the chance to either leave her or simply tell her of the Republic officer's plan, in which case she will confront him when you get back to the bridge; a funny little scene that doesn't play if you just return to the Esseles without first telling her about the plan.

EDIT: Oh yeah. Also wanted to mention that, in relation to gear, alignment isn't always that big of a deal. Yes, there IS plenty of alignment restricted gear, but it's also quite easy in this game to buff your alignment one way or the other at will. I've personally dropped from Light II all the way down to Dark I and am currently back at Light I on my Sentinel; I'm also only level 20.

Edited by stoopidboiy

Beside what has already been mentioned the only other affect you might see from this is in gear limitations. Some gear will have a Dark or Light rating attached to it. For example on Corellia I had a light saber drop that required Light IV since I was Dark IV I could not equip this item.

There are also Light and Dark vendors at your fleet, so it might be good advice to check with those vendors to see if there is anything there specifically you would like to have.

Also, you can negate any light or dark points that you accumulate. The cap either way is currently 10,000. So if you have 9850 dark points and 150 light points when you get more dark points it will make you light point balance decrease until you reach 10,000.

Hope this helps :D