Post Windows 10 Update problem

BarryGK

Windows did a "dev update" this weekend to Windows 10. I was able to sign in and play last night (5/14), but today is different. I am able to log in, check into my server, but when I press play for the player I want to use, I get a "program stopped working" popup from windows, and the program closes. Ideas?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem. Once the Windows Update was done I've been getting "Program has stopped responding" error intermittenly. I can usually close / terminate the program and relaunch it and then it works. I've noticed it happens if I dive right into the app on booting. Waiting a bit seems to help. Still would like to know what is causing it.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

A few updates on this situation. For players that have updated Windows 10 to the Creator Edition, they can experience an issue in SWTOR that causes a crash to desktop. This seems to be primarily caused by being alt-tabbed out of the game and focusing on another window while SWTOR is open and loading.

The team is looking into fixing the problem and I will pass on updates as I have them. In the meantime there are three workarounds which have had some success.

1) Disable vsync on your video card.

2) Disable Game Mode in Windows.

3) In Windows, disable the full-screen optimization option for SWTOR.

I will pass on more information as I have it.

-eric

No issues on my 3 machines.

Only issues I have is an Intel update broke realsense and windows hello. SR300 camera doesn't work. But that's a stream issues, not a game issue.

Edited by Liquor

This is the message I get when I try to get into the game since the new windows update:

" This program encountered an internal error and will exit.

Error code: C7

Incompatible system. Please verify your system is compatible with this game."

Edited by flygaren

I've noticed it especially in the following situation:

When I start the game, in windows mode as always, the window is slightly off centre.

Then I click the button to 'maximize screen' in the top right.

If I do it directly after the game has started, it usually fixes the problem, and afterwards I can 'alt+tab' as often as I want.

If I wait a little longer, and then maximize the screen, it crashes the game.

I've had very similar experience. Nvidia Geforce GTX 980.

Intel CPU, Windows 10 upgrade, frequently updated, etc. Multiple Monitors with game on my MAIN 1080.

I've upgraded the nvidia Drivers TWICE now and still didn't resolve the problem.

Gone FULLSCREEN and even FULLSCREEN Windowed.

Tried multiple combinations of configurations based on EA support and others.

Limited success. I've had to ALT-F4 a couple times during game play (Not fun when in an Operation) and have BLACK screen but hear everyone fighting and I can even cast.

I'll try these options out Eric mentioned and report back if I get any crashes.

Hey folks,

A few updates on this situation. For players that have updated Windows 10 to the Creator Edition, they can experience an issue in SWTOR that causes a crash to desktop. This seems to be primarily caused by being alt-tabbed out of the game and focusing on another window while SWTOR is open and loading.

The team is looking into fixing the problem and I will pass on updates as I have them. In the meantime there are three workarounds which have had some success.

-eric

wow i didnt expect bw to even acknowledge this issue let alone look into fixing, I fiqure they let it be like all the other bugs and problems in the game that gone unfixed for months/years.

That is how low my expectations are of bw.

Edited by Kyuuu

Hey folks,

-eric

I noticed I always get a crash when Microsoft Edge is running (even in the background) while SWTOR is starting up. It doesn't matter whether VSync, Gsync, Game Mode or full-screen optimizations are enabled or not. If I close Edge, SWTOR starts up properly. I can then start Edge again and task out to browse the web and there are no issues. It's good to hear that you are updating the game, though. I assume the crash might also have to do with the way W10 1703 changed how D3D9 (which SWTOR uses) works (time for an (optional) engine update to DX12? That could also help with CPU-bound situations). Or maybe it's just the latest version of Edge (and possibly other UWP Apps) causing this. Edited by Glzmo

I assume the crash might also have to do with the way W10 1703 changed how D3D9 (which SWTOR uses) works (time for an (optional) engine update to DX12?

I have creator and do not have a crashing issue, way i have the game set is in this link

If it matters i do not have geforce experience installed

Edited by OwenBrooks

I have this issue on my desktop, completed all the suggested steps, now the game opens to a 800X600 resolution and is stuck at the load screen for over 10 min now.

I don't use creator, I use Windows 10 Enterprise. I don't have "Game Mode" so there is nothing to disable there.

Looks like I'll just go back to ESO until there is a patch to fix the game.

Edited by RiVaN_

For me the game only seems to crash first starting up the game if I alt-tab at any point on character creation screen and on after clicking the play button for any character while in the loading screen. If I alt-tab in game or logging out to the character screen then going back alt-tabing back it works fine.

Hey folks,

-eric

I have this issue on my desktop, completed all the suggested steps, now the game opens to a 800X600 resolution and is stuck at the load screen for over 10 min now.

I don't use creator, I use Windows 10 Enterprise. I don't have "Game Mode" so there is nothing to disable there.

Looks like I'll just go back to ESO until there is a patch to fix the game.

When it opens at 800 x 600 press the ALT + Enter keys

Eric, thank you for the update !! Will try your suggestions out.

I believe the fix for this is to do a clean install of the nvidia drivers , and at present do not install anything but the driver , ie. do not install geforce experience, shield etc

May need to play in fullscreen (window) mode too

Edited by OwenBrooks

I believe the fix for this is to do a clean install of the nvidia drivers , and at present do not install anything but the driver , ie. do not install geforce experience, shield etc

Owen, I know from Techs, and have been through the GeForce Experience, and i have always been shot in the foot in the past from using it, and the best of Tech that i personally but 1, has told others and me not to ever use and that it makes their gaming worse and even crash. I stopped using it for a cpl years, then a friend of mine installed it on my PC without telling me.

Anyways, i still don't trust Geforce Experience, even though i have steamed before and put a lot of my playing on video. I think i should try to Un-install, but i really really want to capture on Video some of the beauty the Devs have put into this game, as my memories are with their creations.

I noticed I always get a crash when Microsoft Edge is running (even in the background) while SWTOR is starting up. It doesn't matter whether VSync, Gsync, Game Mode or full-screen optimizations are enabled or not. If I close Edge, SWTOR starts up properly. I can then start Edge again and task out to browse the web and there are no issues. It's good to hear that you are updating the game, though. I assume the crash might also have to do with the way W10 1703 changed how D3D9 (which SWTOR uses) works (time for an (optional) engine update to DX12? That could also help with CPU-bound situations). Or maybe it's just the latest version of Edge (and possibly other UWP Apps) causing this.

Gizmo, you old Man, i remember you Master Jedi of SWG :) Loved your stuff.

Edited by MandFlurry

I had the same issue but tracked it down to the XBOX app installed in Win 10 last upgrade. I have since uninstalled the app since I don't have an XBOX and had little to no issues. The only time I have problems now is during a windows update. If you don't care about the XBOX app here is a web link that I used to uninstall it. The XBOX app doesn't show up on programs that you can delete and have to go this route.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-uninstall-and-remove-the-xbox-app-in-windows-10/

I noticed I always get a crash when Microsoft Edge is running (even in the background) while SWTOR is starting up.

Thanks a lot to you. I tried to start the game about 20 times during the last minutes and whatever I tried it always crashed before I could even choose a character. I closed Edge and it worked immediately without any issue.

What I noticed, by the way: With Edge open the SWTOR window is not in focus at game launch (so after you hit "play" in the launcher), and the moment you refocus on the window it crashes. After closing Edge the SWTOR window was active again during the initial launch and if you don't alt-tab out of it for the duration of the initial loading it won't crash afterwards.