*Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

Sprigum

This guide helped me to build my first comp in 10 years, and with sprigums help got the system for only 900, though, monitor, headphones, mouse, and keyboarded added 500 hundred it is way better than my previous comps fps of 7 lol.

Im using a stock fan atm for my i5k but havent oc yet since bios tells me cpu is running at 85, that doesnt seem right to me is it high? should i go get a new fan?

I think i got all driver updates for everything hard to keep it straight when theres bios, windows, keyboard, mouse, graphics card, monitor.. etc, is the control panel the only place to see what needs to be upgraded?

Currently getting 100 fps, nothing really hit me hard going to try wz tomorrow to see how much my fps slows down but i have everything on high including shadows. Whats the advantage of messing with AA, and all that? i barely understood the talk about it and am curious now to maybe try it :)

lastly, i use webroot, and microtrend (i belive at work atm) for my virus scans, what other tools are good to keep the comp free of junk? plus my old comp has slowed way down and want to practice cleaning it up for future knowledge for new comp.

thanks to everyone in this thread, and sprigum for being so helpful learned alot and still more to go!

Vanguard Ghrunn Felshard, Corilliean Run

ps.. blew a 250 mb putting thermal compound in the mb socket, cleaned it out with 91% isoproply but bent to many pins to use it. cleaned Cpu the same maybe thats why its 85 degrees?

Edited by Necodreus

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are going to buy a new machine today dont go for the normal Sandybridge because it have dualchannel ram, the Sandybridge-E have quadchannel ram. Dual channel ram, if you use 1600mhz would have a bandwith of around 19-20gb/sec, while a quadchannel ram where you use same type of memory sticks will have a bandwith of 39-40gb/sec.

Now some will say wait for Ivybridge, but Ivybridge will be dualchannel too, and Ivybridge-E that comes Q4 2012 will have quadchannel.

Interesting thread but I think you give some cards some optimistic views.

I've got a radeon 6670 and I do run at 1440x900.

While I can max out most of the settings which are mostly just low textures since high res isn't available and I can't gauge it but shadows will murder that card into the ground. I literally go from 100 fps to 20 and below easily even with shadows on low. AA does a little bit and if you force some graphics options on the card for some max settings such as multisampling and AAx16 you'll have an unplayable framerate.

"Maximum" is a bit too high at the resolution, I'd put it more in an medium/high custom setting frame rate even with it overclocked through CCC.

It could also be the game having some horrific coding issues with shadows.

I've got a Q9450 quad core at 2.67ghz and 6 gigs of ram as well.

Edited by Kabloosh

This is very interesting guide. I've always build my PC and I find all the information here good and up to date.

There is topic I have researched extensively somewhat wrong. Video cards for 2560x1600 resolution. I want to state the fact that I am not an ATI fan. I had nvidia cards for close to 10 years until I had to buy one to power the 2560x1600 monitor. Researched showed that Radeon HD 6970 performance is almost the same as Geforce GTX 580 with the price on par with Geforce GTX 570.

The suggested order is:

- Radeon HD 6970

- Geforce GTX 480

- Geforce GTX 570

- Geforce GTX 580

- Radeon HD 5970

- Radeon HD 6990

Geforce GTX 580 is the recommended card. The rule that I found is that more RAM produces more at higher resolution. This means that Radeon HD 6970 performers better at 2560x1600 then the cards with lower ram compared to 1920x1080. With that in mind the order of the same cards for 1920x1080 is:

- Geforce GTX 480

- Geforce GTX 570

- Radeon HD 6970

- Geforce GTX 580

- Radeon HD 5970

- Geforce GTX 590

- Radeon HD 6990

This shows Radeon HD 6970 performing better at 1920x1080 compared to the other cards then 2560x1600 and this is not correct. The order I would put for 2560x1600 is:

- Geforce GTX 480

- Radeon HD 6950 2GB

- Geforce GTX 570

- Radeon HD 6970

- Geforce GTX 580

- Radeon HD 5970

- Geforce GTX 590

- Radeon HD 6990

Putting Radeon HD 6950 2GB there might be confusing, so it can be skipped. Also I would put Radeon HD 6970 as the recommended card for performance/price.

I'm Running

Amd Phenom II X4 3.41GHz

8GB kingston hyperX 1333

geforce gtx 560 ti 448 cores

i have a relly good fps when i'm playing on my own around the galaxy its around 65-110

but when i want to do pvp that is just unplayable i get like 10-15 fps. Changing settings highest to lowest only gives me max fps 32....this is when i just look some walls and still it jumps down to 10 and 15 when the action starts.. i mean c'mon.. it cannot be that everyone just have sucky pc:s even the graphics on the game is not "stunning"

Hey, loved your performance guide, but I didn't see anything about the NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M. I'm a rookie when it comes to laptop technical details, and I'm having difficulty sifting through all the posts where the NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M is mentioned. So, could you let me know where the 540M falls in your list / color code re. functionality? Thanks so much.

Why this isn't stickied is beyond me, it's wealth of information..

I used this to pick my new video card, being on a rather restrictive budget it helped me decide what to replace my really low end card (GT 520) with (Radeon HD 5750). I've gone from 7-10 FPS in Warzones, and on fleet to about 25-35 and I'm getting 40-60 in open world, now compared to 15-25 with peaks in the 70-80 range on all high settings on except Shadows (Find those to be the biggest graphics lag creators). Totally worth the $65 investment I spent.

Another thing if you are using ATI/AMD based cards get the newest drivers they make a world of difference and it should only get better as they optimize for SWTOR over the next few months which they should since it's player base is so hefty.

Currently running

AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE 3.5Ghz

8GB G.Skill Ripjaw series 1300mhz DDR3

Radeon HD 5750

20" Samsung SyncMaster B2030 1600x900 Resolution

Windows 7 64-bit

Edited by Quantum

Hello everyone! :D I have a question for u all :p

My pc setup:

Win 7 64bit

pentium dual core 2.7 Ghz

Geforce GT520

2GB RAM DDR2

I want to buy other 4gb ddr2 to reach 6gb ram... u think i can play a little bit better only with this change? i don't have much money lol

right now my pc it's really slow, and my FPS is really bad :o

No, the GT 520 is an extremely low end card, I just replaced mine on a system with much better spec's (See Above Post). That video card is your bottle neck as much as the low amount of RAM and the CPU.

Hi, I have a doubt about some video card suffixes of ASUS Nvidia Geforce GTX 5xx series. I want to buy a GTX560 but I feel confused because they have a lot of types of GTX560 (thet are all 1GB DDR5):

-GTX560 for $167,60

-GTX560 Ti DirectCU II for $214,80

-GTX560 DirectCU II Top for $199,00 in online store (+ $16,99 sending price to pay once)

-GTX560 Ti DirectCU II Top for $234,80 OR $213 in online store (+ $16,99 sending price to pay once)

What does it mean Ti and Top? (I know what is DirectCU II)

Which one you recommend me to take?

Hi, I have a doubt about some video card suffixes of ASUS Nvidia Geforce GTX 5xx series. I want to buy a GTX560 but I feel confused because they have a lot of types of GTX560 (thet are all 1GB DDR5):

-GTX560 for $167,60

-GTX560 Ti DirectCU II for $214,80

-GTX560 DirectCU II Top for $199,00 in online store (+ $16,99 sending price to pay once)

-GTX560 Ti DirectCU II Top for $234,80 OR $213 in online store (+ $16,99 sending price to pay once)

What does it mean Ti and Top? (I know what is DirectCU II)

Which one you recommend me to take?

DirectCU II refers to the cooling setup, it's not using a cooling plate, instead copper heat pipes lay directly on the GPU.

Ti is just a suffix that nVidia uses on performance-oriented cards.

Hello all, thanks for looking I want to know if its worth switching the CPU and MB to i5 2500k, if it will actually make that much of a difference. It will cost me about 100 bucks, I have someone willing to by my FX-8120 atm. I only care about games.

I currently have.

FX-8120

Gigabyte 970A-UD3

GTX 560 TI

Win 7 64bit

8gb corsair vengance

basic western digital hdd. 200gb

On a side not i have an x-fi sound card i got about 4 years ago I think its called Extreme Music. I paid around $120. will the onboard sound be better then my sound card now?

Can anyone tell me a card that is equal to the nvidia geforce 9800 GT card? I have that card now and it works fine for me but the fan is going bad and they no longer make this card. I have a 400 watt power supply and the GT 440 is crap and very laggy. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Can anyone tell me a card that is equal to the nvidia geforce 9800 GT card? I have that card now and it works fine for me but the fan is going bad and they no longer make this card. I have a 400 watt power supply and the GT 440 is crap and very laggy. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

That would be like a Radeon 4830, but we'd also need to know if you are using AGP, PCI, or PCIe connectors to really be able to help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2086-7.html

This is a great comparison chart, though it's from 2008.

For what you would be paying for a 4830, or a new 9800 GT (If you can find one), you can purchase a much better card.

I recently purchased a Radeon HD 5750

That would be like a Radeon 4830, but we'd also need to know if you are using AGP, PCI, or PCIe connectors to really be able to help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2086-7.html

This is a great comparison chart, though it's from 2008.

For what you would be paying for a 4830, or a new 9800 GT (If you can find one), you can purchase a much better card.

I recently purchased a Radeon HD 5750

Thanks for the info but that card you said would require me to purchase a new power supply and I'm just wanting a card. Also, I am using PCIe

Edited by nlayton

I am not very good with computers and i have done my best to learn. I am wondering whether this is a good build to play swtor and the odd other game here and there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks =]

My build is:

Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core (3.50GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX (Motherboard)

16GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)

1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6770 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11

1TB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

COOLIT ECO II A.L.C ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER

NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller with upto 5 Fitted Case Fans

If i am doing something wrong please say. Thankyou for any responses =]

I am not very good with computers and i have done my best to learn. I am wondering whether this is a good build to play swtor and the odd other game here and there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks =]

My build is:

Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core (3.50GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX (Motherboard)

16GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)

1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6770 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11

1TB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

COOLIT ECO II A.L.C ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER

NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller with upto 5 Fitted Case Fans

If i am doing something wrong please say. Thankyou for any responses =]

for gaming getting more expensive cpu than i5 2500K(as it overclocks really easy and quite a bit) is not generally worth the bang for buck because those cpu's have much added premium price for no real gaming performance. (if money means nada and you have deep pockets then go for it for who cares? :).)

keep away from i5 2550K they look like old 2500K rejects with +100mhz and killed iGPU with added price for suckers.

i7 2600K is for video/photo editing with no real gaming benefit. i7 2700K is for little men with deep pockets and need to compensate for something.

use the saved money on cpu to better gpu. instead HD6770 get a HD6850 or HD6870. no idea on nvidia equivalents.

make sure to get GOOD psu. good psu doesnt need as many watts and is possibly the most important pice to have that is reliable. losing psu in action can possibly cost everything inside the case at the same time. i like my corsair psu but there are others too.

/2c